TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Thanks Barrett-Jackson!

Evil95GT

Even prior to the $600,000 auction of the GT500, I noticed a disturbing trend. Cars that were once obtainable by average joes like you and I are now demanding insane prices. This has become epidemic. Many will say "Want a cheap car? Just avoid the auction". HA! That's almost funny. It's pretty sick when even the classifieds on hemmings, autotrader, as well as message board listings read "One just like it sold on Barrett-Jackson for $50,000". :nonono:

First of all, the populus at the Barrett-Jackson auctions are filthy rich. If they wanted twenty $100K cars, they could have them without even batting an eye. I used to joke that I wanted to go there just to bid $25K on a car...just to be a part of the action. Not anymore. They're freakin KILLING the hobby for the little guy (and girl).

Will we ever see the return of a day when cars were priced at face value? I'm not talking the frame-off concours restoration cars. Even the "replica" and "numbers not matching" cars are selling for crazy high dollars. Just ten years ago (and yes, I have the publications to prove it), one could pick up a solid 1968 fastback in the neighborhood of $11K-$13K. Good luck with all that at this point.

Back to the GT500......if I see *one* more ebay ad, with a blood-thirsty dealership touting the $600,000 Barrett-Jackson wondercar, I'm going to puke. Seriously. Do they have any clue what they're doing to those of you who want these cars?

This rant has been brought to you as a public service by Evil95GT. She's tired, stressed out, and somewhat edgy, et still on target. Well..............most of the time. :)

Even prior to the $600,000 auction of the GT500, I noticed a disturbing trend. Cars that were once obtainable by average joes like you and I are now demanding insane prices. This has become epidemic. Many will say "Want a cheap car? Just avoid the auction". HA! That's almost funny. It's pretty sick when even the classifieds on hemmings, autotrader, as well as message board listings read "One just like it sold on Barrett-Jackson for $50,000". :nonono:

First of all, the populus at the Barrett-Jackson auctions are filthy rich. If they wanted twenty $100K cars, they could have them without even batting an eye. I used to joke that I wanted to go there just to bid $25K on a car...just to be a part of the action. Not anymore. They're freakin KILLING the hobby for the little guy (and girl).

Will we ever see the return of a day when cars were priced at face value? I'm not talking the frame-off concours restoration cars. Even the "replica" and "numbers not matching" cars are selling for crazy high dollars. Just ten years ago (and yes, I have the publications to prove it), one could pick up a solid 1968 fastback in the neighborhood of $11K-$13K. Good luck with all that at this point.

Back to the GT500......if I see *one* more ebay ad, with a blood-thirsty dealership touting the $600,000 Barrett-Jackson wondercar, I'm going to puke. Seriously. Do they have any clue what they're doing to those of you who want these cars?

This rant has been brought to you as a public service by Evil95GT. She's tired, stressed out, and somewhat edgy, et still on target. Well..............most of the time. :)

hopefully we will see these clowns run out of money, have to dump their cars and lower the prices to normal again.

Nice to see you here, Kevin. You want funny?

Here's funny:

The 3 Shelby dealers that I had been in discussions with all went back on their promise of "MSRP, absolutely", one of them even promised this for over a year. One dealer in particular Portsmouth Ford, Portsmouth, NH , had this to say:

Me: Are you taking orders on the GT500?

Him: We decided to have a list, you want on?

Me: Sure do.

Him: So you're willing to pay $200k?

Me: (long, intentional silence) $200k......for a MUSTANG?

H: It's a SHELBY . And besides, one went at auction for over $600k

M: You do realize that this was for charity, and for the 1st one produced?

H: Yup.

M: And that they plan to produce 10k units/year for 2 years?

H: Yes.

M: (sarcastically) You can take me off your list, then. :nonono:

Why would I pay $200k for a car that they will make 20k units of, when I could have a Ford GT (sitting in their showroom) at sticker, with much more performance, rarity, and looks and save myself about $40k? Drop blotter acid much????? And you wonder why Ford is losing business??? Some of their dealers are insane!!!!! :wacko: And, yes--consider Portsmouth Ford, Portsmouth, NH blackballed for life. They won't ever see any of my/my friend's/my associate's business. Ever. And they'll never find anyone to buy that car ;)

I agree with that sentiment!

I think most everyone has lost sight of the fact that the auction was a CHARITY event. The car was never being auctioned, it is just a "thank you" to the person who DONATED the most money to the CHARITY.

Now, since none of the Ford dealerships I have ever dealt with are CHARITYS, why should they think that we want to DONATE to them????? :headscratch:

I think all of the dealerships should be required to DONATE their ADM's to the Shelby charity. If that was the case, the ADM's would be for a good cause, and a reasonable ADM would be acceptable to most people. AN extra $1K-$2K would be a reasonable donation, I think.

Nice to see you here, Kevin. You want funny?

Thanks Crispy. Good to see you, too. I've been here a while. IT is just that most people know me as crazyhorse. I couldn't use that because someone registered it here already. I don't even recognize my own posts sometimes when I see 5.4 Shelby.

Did you find a car yet? I really think the way to go is find the small town dealer that doesn't have a buyer yet. I'd do it now before they find one.

Archived