TEAM SHELBY FORUM

chip in stripe

Torched10

Well ive been real careful,but wound behind a tree chipper yesterday getting off in front of me, and of course he dropped some chips and one of them hit my car and tore a small piece in the silve stripe.See pic---have any of you all repaired this type damage yet?/At first i though maybe some touch-up paint,but i have no idea if i could match the silver color.Then im figuring just replace the piece thats chipped--can you buy just one piece.Theni figured, its just a car,and ill get more of these, so ait till it gets bad and then get them all fixed.Whart have you all done

post-24281-126668246908_thumb.jpg

post-24281-12666824854_thumb.jpg

post-24281-126668246908_thumb.jpg

post-24281-12666824854_thumb.jpg

Well ive been real careful,but wound behind a tree chipper yesterday getting off in front of me, and of course he dropped some chips and one of them hit my car and tore a small piece in the silver stripe.See pic---have any of you all repaired this type damage yet?/At first i though maybe some touch-up paint,but i have no idea if i could match the silver color.Then im figuring just replace the piece thats chipped--can you buy just one piece.Theni figured, its just a car,and ill get more of these, so ait till it gets bad and then get them all fixed.Whart have you all done

Too bad about that. Ugh...a tree chipper...that's a nightmare up there with those gravel hauling trucks. Personally I would just order a replacement piece - hopefully since it's a small piece it won't be $200 or something. If it were any other color except for the silver, I would just do some type of touch up as temporary fix and perhaps permanently if I looked acceptable. But that silver strikes me as being tough to match. I don't know.

Well ive been real careful,but wound behind a tree chipper yesterday getting off in front of me, and of course he dropped some chips and one of them hit my car and tore a small piece in the silve stripe.See pic---have any of you all repaired this type damage yet?/At first i though maybe some touch-up paint,but i have no idea if i could match the silver color.Then im figuring just replace the piece thats chipped--can you buy just one piece.Theni figured, its just a car,and ill get more of these, so ait till it gets bad and then get them all fixed.Whart have you all done

You can get 'paint pens' at just about any hobby store.

I have one in silver and I'd try that before I went with a full stripe replace. They're only a couple of bucks.

Just 'dab' it on the spot with the felt tip on the pen...repeat if necessary.

EDIT: The paint pen has a shaker in it so be sure to SHAKE WELL, just like a spray can of paint.

Phill Pollard

You can get 'paint pens' at just about any hobby store.

I have one in silver and I'd try that before I went with a full stripe replace. They're only a couple of bucks.

Just 'dab' it on the spot with the felt tip on the pen...repeat if necessary.

EDIT: The paint pen has a shaker in it so be sure to SHAKE WELL, just like a spray can of paint.

Phill Pollard

thanks for all the good sugestions---cutting the stripe is a lille scary for me--the paint pen sounds like a goodinterim step.Think i will buy an extra set of front stirpes, the small ones, just in case.I already have an extra drivesr seat cover,since Im sure that in the 10Years ill own this car, the bolster will wear out--Im 6-4 220lbs.That way when i sell it , Ill be able to furnish a new seat cover

Get one of these. After much trial and error, it was an exact match to my silver stripes on my 08. Fill it in stages and it comes out real nice.

001.jpg

thanks alot--just orderd both the extra fine and medium--ill still get the vinyl strips,but alleast if this works, iwont be continually buying new strips---bob

PS---how did you flatten the edge of the vinyl around the chip??Also, how many coats did you use,and how much time between coats.I guess its more of a dab than a coat.

To bad about the chip. I got my first on the front driver side quarter panel.

I would just continue to drive it as you inevitably will get more chips over time. Once you have had enough then order new stripes from Ford. I know the price of new stripes is more expensive then you would imagine.

For instance the stripes for the front bumper alone are almost $400 and installation is a royal pain as you have to heat and stretch the stripes to get them to lay right. I have a buddy at a local paint shop who has done Shelby's over the years who gave me the above info.

The silver marker seems like a great interim idea though.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Get one of these. After much trial and error, it was an exact match to my silver stripes on my 08. Fill it in stages and it comes out real nice.

001.jpg

For those of you with silver sripes,the product Mullens recommended worked really well.Highly recommend it.Worked excellent--got it thru Vilage Supplies Ltd

Is the stripe "chip" all the way to the paint?I couldn't tell from the picture.

yes the red paint was showing thru--so the silver Pilot Pen basically covered over the red--obviusly the tear in the strip is still there,but much harder to see,ie theres no red paint showing thru---bob

Archived