TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TSB 09-24-16 installed on my car (front end LCA’s)

Grabber

TSB 09-24-16 installed on my car (front end LCA's)

I now have the brand new Front LCA's with the bigger (19mm) ball joint shaft and the newly improved hydro bushing on the front end of my car. The front end grunt noise that my car used to make as I turned onto my driveway apron is now gone. The new bushing is sure doing it's job. The car seems to handle better now as well. It just feels tighter.

The senior Master Tech at my local Ford dealership did a great job. 2 hour job total including check in and check out and test drive.

003.jpg

004.jpg

Here's the new LCA's with a pic of the bigger ball joint shaft.

001.jpg

Here's a pic of the new improved hydro bushing.

002.jpg

These are my old parts.

005.jpg

006.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here’s some pic’s of my new LCA’s installed on my car.

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

All new hardware (nuts & bolts) was replaced during the installation as listed on my paperwork and mandated in the service manual.

018.jpg

My 3 year factory warranty is up in 2 weeks....so I'm glad to have this done while it's still covered. happy%20feet.gif

If anyone needs the TSB, it's in a PDF file located here:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/51279-tsb-9-24-16-gruntcreaksqueakchirp-noise-from-the-lower-control-arm-bushing-over-bumps-built-on-or-before-832009/page__view__getnewpost__fromsearch__1

This is the 1st i'm hearing of this TSB. I'll have to thumb through it to see if my '09 KR is affected.

Had the KR out this morning for an easy 7 mile drive since it's been sitting in the garage due to snow and snotty road conditions. I was laughing because I heard that "A" pillar squeak for the first time. I'll wait until late spring to address that one myself.

Grabber, what prompted you to address this TSB ? Were you having issues?

EDIT to add: Grabber, I now see the other thread you made back in December about this. Do you know if the '08 - '09 GT500KR's are affected ?

This is the 1st i'm hearing of this TSB. I'll have to thumb through it to see if my '09 KR is affected.

Had the KR out this morning for an easy 7 mile drive since it's been sitting in the garage due to snow and snotty road conditions. I was laughing because I heard that "A" pillar squeak for the first time. I'll wait until late spring to address that one myself.

Grabber, what prompted you to address this TSB ? Were you having issues?

EDIT to add: Grabber, I now see the other thread you made back in December about this. Do you know if the '08 - '09 GT500KR's are affected ?

Per the title on the top of the TSB - All the 2005 - 2010 Ford Mustangs (V6'rs, GT's, GT500's & KR's) built before 8/3/2009 have the older front LCA's with the 0.71 (18mm) ball joint shaft and the old style hydro bushing. If you want to check it, use a suitable caliper and measure the ball joint shaft.

The new and improved ball joint shaft is 0.75 (19mm) and of course has the new hydro bushing. The front LCA's are about $632 Plus some for the nuts and bolts. Then 2 hours labor if you go out of warranty.

Per the title on the top of the TSB - All the 2005 - 2010 Ford Mustangs (V6'rs, GT's, GT500's & KR's) built before 8/3/2009 have the older front LCA's with the 0.71 (18mm) ball joint shaft and the old style hydro bushing. If you want to check it, use a suitable caliper and measure the ball joint shaft.

The new and improved ball joint shaft is 0.75 (19mm) and of course has the new hydro bushing. The front LCA's are about $632 Plus some for the nuts and bolts. Then 2 hours labor if you go out of warranty.

Ok, i'll phone my dealership and have them order the stuff for me.

(It pays to know people at the local dealership)

Ok, i'll phone my dealership and have them order the stuff for me.

(It pays to know people at the local dealership)

The TSB says to discard certian fastners and use new, but does not give part numbers. To get the part numbers the Tech has to pull the WSM and read it and determine the quanity and then order them. They are torque to yeld so make sure he gets them. Here's the WSM for you to read and you saw my invoice in post #1 that has the hardware part numbers and how may to order.

018.jpg

012.jpg

Front LCA install GT500.pdf

Front LCA install GT500.pdf

Ok Grabber, heres what makes no sense to me what so ever. The TSB states that the squeak, bang, clunk, whatever, is heard when going over bumps, thru potholes etc. It says for the tech to use a listening device to listen for the noise. How the heck does the device work with the car sitting in the dealers garage on a flat floor? Or is this some device that attaches to the arm while the tech goes out to look for some speed bumps to drive over? I know the dealers in my area. They will stick this device down by the joint, press down on the front end, and say "I don't hear a thing, go away". What am I missing?

Ok Grabber, heres what makes no sense to me what so ever. The TSB states that the squeak, bang, clunk, whatever, is heard when going over bumps, thru potholes etc. It says for the tech to use a listening device to listen for the noise. How the heck does the device work with the car sitting in the dealers garage on a flat floor? Or is this some device that attaches to the arm while the tech goes out to look for some speed bumps to drive over? I know the dealers in my area. They will stick this device down by the joint, press down on the front end, and say "I don't hear a thing, go away". What am I missing?

Bingo.

Well shut my mouth as we say here in the south. Educated myself on wireless chassis ears. Guess my next question is, does the tech just have to hear something regardless of the level of noise or is there some certain decibles that the sound has to get above?

Not sure.

seems to me...it either makes the noise or it does not.

Mine could be heard going over a drive way apron while turning right.

Can you hear yours making noise?

Do you know whether the tech had to pull the struts? If that's not necessary, I may have to inquire about having this done before my warranty expires in July. Only issue is that I have the FR lowering springs installed on my car and whether my dealer will give me grief because of it. Glad to know this TSB really fixes the clunking issue.

Do you know whether the tech had to pull the struts? If that's not necessary, I may have to inquire about having this done before my warranty expires in July. Only issue is that I have the FR lowering springs installed on my car and whether my dealer will give me grief because of it. Glad to know this TSB really fixes the clunking issue.

You do not have to pull the struts to perform this operation.

I watched the tech do the work, and like Mr. Ford said.....the struts did not have to be removed.

Nice work on bringing this to us Grabber Thanks . Is an alignment called for after this is done?

No, not at all.

All these parts are hard bolted connections.

Mine drives better than it did before.

Did your tech tighten the LCA and lower ball joint nuts with the suspension at curb height (weight on wheels) as specified in step 10?

Now that you mention it, I saw my car lowered down onto the shop floor and I thought he was done, but he was under it. Then he put it back up in the air for a final check...

The TSB says to discard certian fastners and use new, but does not give part numbers. To get the part numbers the Tech has to pull the WSM and read it and determine the quanity and then order them. They are torque to yeld so make sure he gets them. Here's the WSM for you to read and you saw my invoice in post #1 that has the hardware part numbers and how may to order.

018.jpg

012.jpg

Thanks Grabber!

We should all be so grateful for you, your thorough research, and your detailed pictures.

Grabber = King of the TSB's!

I had mine done a month ago, and it made no change to the car bumping around over low speed bumps. Mine needed the TSB but never made any chirping noises. I was hoping that it would take care of the loose feeling in the front end over low speed bumps, but it didnt.

I was hoping it would fix that. I will be taking it in after the salt washes off the roads this spring. Mine has had everything but the lower contol arms replaced I think chasing this looseness, without success. If this doesn't do it, then it is just crappy design of some sort. My strut mounts and struts have been changed. Just as a note, the sway bar was disconnected, and it stll did it, so it has nothing to do with the swaybar end links, either.

I guess it could also be in the steering rack somehow, too...

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if it's covered under the Premium Care Extended Warranty? Mine regular warranty was up back in Nov.

I just returned from having the TSB done under the PremiumCare ESP. I also had my driveshaft replaced (grease leaking from rear joint), and they were considered a "single repair," so only one deductible payment of $200. Parts and labor came to over $1,800 if I had to pay out of pocket -- and those were the warranty costs...my costs would likely have been even higher!

I'm definitely glad I bought the ESP...it's already paid for itself! :happy feet:

Archived