TEAM SHELBY FORUM

brakes

pucky

its really bad when you can not get matching brakes for a shelby with out spending 6k no brembro bigger rear and if you go with baer they only offer cross drilled and slotted for the rear and they have a part no#for the front but have not produced it and they say they never will . any suggestion or help would be appreciated :headscratch:

Hello fellow Blue Noser. I feel your pain, the only set that I found that meets your requirements (other than price) are 14 1/4 inch 6 piston front and 13 inch 4 piston rear AP Racing brakes sold through Stillen.

DSCN0652-1.jpg

They are only available as slotted or cross drilled and slotted. The above picture is the front set, I plan on getting the rear set sometime later this year.

HEY SHIPWRIGHT GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN , THANKS FOR THE INFO , DID YOU ORDER CANADA OR US AND WHAT WERE THE PRICES . ALSO IT WILL BE NICE TO MEET YOU SOMETIME THIS SUMMER MAYBE AT A CAR SHOW .

THANKS PAUL

I got them from Stillen in the US. The price I paid was very good as they where having an extraordinary sale at the time (I’ll PM you the price I paid and my point of contact at Stillen). If you search their site I believe they also offer lighter two-piece front and rear rotors for direct replacement. As for car shows checkout novascotiamustangclub.com. I’m a director, we usually do one show a month or so from May to September and I’ll let you know what shows we plan on doing this year. If you check out the site please note that it is currently out of date, it will up-dated before spring arrives. I look forward to meeting another Shelby owner, we currently have about 5 or 6 Shelby's in the club with only 1 or 2 who regularly show.

Why do you need bigger rear brakes on this car? Bling?

All the weight is in the front.

Are you guys also buying better/wider/stickier tires?

Just curious.

the rear brakes are 1 inch larger than stock but the difference is the 4 piston vice stock 2 and undoubtedly the bling factor does, in my view, play a factor (matching calipers, cross drilled and slotted). furthermore, I wouldn't have bothered with better brakes if I was'nt' planning on making serious horsepower increases in the future. It should be noted that Shelby SSs have cross drilled / slotted 14 inch rotors with six piston calipers on all four corners. As for tires, your right. After I get my power upgrades I will be going to 285's in front and 305's in back.

Negative, the AP Racing and Shelby (Super Snake) units are direct replacements and do not require any master cylinder changes or adjustments, they are also compatible with stock ABS.

how do the upgrades stack up against the stock car's braking ability?

So with the bigger brakes on the rear (like on the Shelby SS), is the 60 to 0 distance less? What about repeated stops, etc?

Is there an unsprung weight savings or gain?

I'd be interested in any hard data about the rear upgrade to see if it's worth it.

Again, we are talking about a vehicle that has a large bias to front weight distribution vs. rear.

On a Dodge Viper, where the F/R distribution is 51/49 I can see having huge brakes at all corners (which it does)

Not trying to bust your chops here, trying to see if this is all worth it.

Negative, the AP Racing and Shelby (Super Snake) units are direct replacements and do not require any master cylinder changes or adjustments, they are also compatible with stock ABS.

great info, I personally feel the cars can use serious brakes to match the serious performance, look at z06, viper, porsches etc (I really hate to think that the gt500 is only a drag machine). No skimping on the brakes. The first thing I check is brakes before I buy a family car. Too bad the svt package does not upgrade the brakes.

What is the best set up in your opinion, and approx costs?

great info, I personally feel the cars can use serious brakes to match the serious performance, look at z06, viper, porsches etc (I really hate to think that the gt500 is only a drag machine). No skimping on the brakes. The first thing I check is brakes before I buy a family car. Too bad the svt package does not upgrade the brakes.

What is the best set up in your opinion, and approx costs?

It's not so much the the performance of the car, it's the sheer momentum caused by the cars weight. 4,000+ lbs (convertible) with 600-700+ hp (TBD later depending on mods) requires massive stopping power. For handling, brakes are only one component, if you want a corner carver you'll have to re-work the suspension. More power means more cooling, stronger clutch, heavier duty drive shaft etc... And if you are looking for a corner carver, solid or maybe vented rotors are a better option. I, by no means, am an expert. If you want an informed opinion on brakes you would be better served to start you own thread and get advice from board members who actively race/autocross their cars, some proffessionally.

how do the upgrades stack up against the stock car's braking ability?

So with the bigger brakes on the rear (like on the Shelby SS), is the 60 to 0 distance less? What about repeated stops, etc?

Is there an unsprung weight savings or gain?

I'd be interested in any hard data about the rear upgrade to see if it's worth it.

Again, we are talking about a vehicle that has a large bias to front weight distribution vs. rear.

On a Dodge Viper, where the F/R distribution is 51/49 I can see having huge brakes at all corners (which it does)

Not trying to bust your chops here, trying to see if this is all worth it.

For your first question, I honestly don't know if larger rear brakes are required and I would also like to see definitive data, I'm just a novice who will be making power upgrades later and being somewhat OCD I want to be able to stop car in case I get in over my head. Also I already have the front brakes so the car will look samewhat strange with 6 piston 14 1/4 cross drilled and vented front discs with stock, solid 11.8? inch 2 piston rears. So part of my motivation, I sorry to say, is appearance. Is it worth the extra cost? That's a tough question to answer. It's a personnal choice and depends on what you want to do with the car and your budget.

Weight savings on the front brakes are reportedly about 5 pounds for each side. I would imagine the rears would probably be a wash (when I get and install them I plan on seeing what the difference is) due to the increased rotor size (13 inch).

I see where your going with weight distribution on the Viper, Thats why I don't understand why the SS has 6 piston 14 inch rotors on all four corners. The set-up I will eventually have will be 14-1/4 front and 13 rear.

Don't worry about busting my chops, as long as you don't call me an asshole (that's my wife's job) I won't be offended. Besides as the old saying goes "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask"

Archived