TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SVT package ride?

denohew

I currently own a 2010. I ordered a 2011 w/SVT pkg.. I just drove up to Austin,Tx , downtown, and my car is rattling my teeth out! How rough is the SVT pkg. going to be? Grant it that the streets here are tore up but I don't track race or anything like that and the rough roads cannot be good for the car, ( creating rattles etc. ) . My VIN has not been picked up yet but I know it will. Should I go for a regular 500 or change it, while I can? I have some quality issues also but I am not going to get into that! I just love the fact that the car has so much power that I can pass 6 cars on a single lane highway like a 2 dollar hooker in New Orleans! Anybody else concerned? denohew

I currently own a 2010. I ordered a 2011 w/SVT pkg.. I just drove up to Austin,Tx , downtown, and my car is rattling my teeth out! How rough is the SVT pkg. going to be? Grant it that the streets here are tore up but I don't track race or anything like that and the rough roads cannot be good for the car, ( creating rattles etc. ) . My VIN has not been picked up yet but I know it will. Should I go for a regular 500 or change it, while I can? I have some quality issues also but I am not going to get into that! I just love the fact that the car has so much power that I can pass 6 cars on a single lane highway like a 2 dollar hooker in New Orleans! Anybody else concerned? denohew

Denohew:

I ordered my 2011 three weeks ago, and like you, I'm waiting for my VIN. I would STRONGLY suggest you opt out for the svt package. I chose not to order it for the same concerns you've indicated. We seem to be on the exact same page concerning the ride quality. My 07 does a good job of beating up my butt with its stock suspension. The SVT package is definitely going to provide a stiffer ride (stiffer shocks and springs) and that, alone, is enough to put me off the option list. The new 2010's suspension is markedly improved and will probably be a carry-over to the 2011, so I believe I'll be very satisfied with the stock suspension set-up. I would call the dealer and remove the SVT package from your order. Just my .02 cents worth. Best of luck with your new ride!! Are you going to take a bath with your trade-in or sale of the 2010?

Denohew:

I ordered my 2011 three weeks ago, and like you, I'm waiting for my VIN. I would STRONGLY suggest you opt out for the svt package. I chose not to order it for the same concerns you've indicated. We seem to be on the exact same page concerning the ride quality. My 07 does a good job of beating up my butt with its stock suspension. The SVT package is definitely going to provide a stiffer ride (stiffer shocks and springs) and that, alone, is enough to put me off the option list. The new 2010's suspension is markedly improved and will probably be a carry-over to the 2011, so I believe I'll be very satisfied with the stock suspension set-up. I would call the dealer and remove the SVT package from your order. Just my .02 cents worth. Best of luck with your new ride!! Are you going to take a bath with your trade-in or sale of the 2010?

+1 , it is always nice to get a factory performance package but we opted out as well on our 2011 vert.

It will be stiffer, as Ford says 20% more front and around 10% rear, the 3.73 is there because the svt rear tire is one inch taller from the regular car, the wheels are fine but with a 20in rear wheel and stiffer shocks.........nop not for us.

+1 , it is always nice to get a factory performance package but we opted out as well on our 2011 vert.

It will be stiffer, as Ford says 20% more front and around 10% rear, the 3.73 is there because the svt rear tire is one inch taller from the regular car, the wheels are fine but with a 20in rear wheel and stiffer shocks.........nop not for us.

As i recall the 2010 verts were 30% "less stiff" than the coupes.I just spent 3 hours drivng it.and have back issues,and it was pefect.I think some of that comfort comes with the 18 in tires,and wider sidewalls than the coupe.Is the 2011 going to have the same ride difference bewteen coupe and vert

The 11 vert maybe a bit stiffer considering it will have the 19" tire and wheel combo, assuming that the shocks and springs are the same carried over from the 2010.

Does anyone know what the SVT suspension package actually contains? Is it essentially the FRPP set up or something similar?

My dealer is going to give me $42,000 for my 2010 so yes I am going to take a pretty good bath on it but with the tax savings of ( $2,625 ) thru my trade that takes it up to $44,625. It is going to be about a $10,000 bath. I expected that. Still weighing the pros and cons of the SVT pkg.. If I took it off it would be more like a shower than a bath. The wheels are growing on me and I do want the different gears. Might leave the package and play around with the springs if neccessary. denohew

denohew,

if your trading in 2010 for 2011. go for svt pp. base 10 for base 11??? if your going to get wet , take a bath.lol.just my 2 cents. good luck.

Agreed, how much different could the ride really be. I have no issues with my cars ride, but it is a toy, I guess if it was a Daily Driver maybe I would, but to me the performance off-sets a little less cushy ride.

My dealer is going to give me $42,000 for my 2010 so yes I am going to take a pretty good bath on it but with the tax savings of ( $2,625 ) thru my trade that takes it up to $44,625. It is going to be about a $10,000 bath. I expected that. Still weighing the pros and cons of the SVT pkg.. If I took it off it would be more like a shower than a bath. The wheels are growing on me and I do want the different gears. Might leave the package and play around with the springs if neccessary. denohew

I think the SVTPP will stiffen the ride, noticably. If you want the gears, and given your knowledgeable background, I'd have a 3:73 ratio ring & pinion installed at the dealer, which shouldn't be more that four to five hundred bucks; parts and labor. I'm just not enamored with those SVT wheels. I much prefer the design of the stock wheel. On my 07, I changed the rear springs (kept the same stock spring rate w/ BMRs) and leveled the car out . Left the fronts alone and all has been well for 19K miles. Now the issue is selling the 07, as a trade-in is not going to net much for me.

Archived