TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Should I put the Gt500 spoiler on my SGT?

Im thinking about putting the gt 500 spoiler on for performance. The downforce it generates at high speeds is a plus. The only thing holding me back is that the Shelby GT's didn't come with a spoiler. I know they wanted to make it look like the 65' GT350 without the spoiler. Thats the only thing keeping me from doing the spoiler. What do you guys think? :confused:

Im thinking about putting the gt 500 spoiler on for performance. The downforce it generates at high speeds is a plus. The only thing holding me back is that the Shelby GT's didn't come with a spoiler. I know they wanted to make it look like the 65' GT350 without the spoiler. Thats the only thing keeping me from doing the spoiler. What do you guys think? :confused:

Personally I purchased a take-off GT spoiler before I even received my car but have never put it on I kinda like it without. Besides unless you purchase another rear deck lid once you drill the holes and put the spoiler on there's no going back.

I wouldn’t do it to my car, but that’s just me. There is no performance gain what so ever unless you’re driving 150 into turn 1. If you like the way it looks, bolt it on. The only person opinion that really matters is yours…it’s you car.

Very true. I was just seeing what most guys thought. Personally when I look at it, the car without the spoiler looks nicer, more classy I would say. I haven't done anything to the motor, but I am planning on getting the SC package within the next year or two. Besides that I've added the CDC vented window louvers, Shelby brake duct bezels with the PIAA fog lights, Sequential turn signals, clear front turn signals, painted mirror covers, lower billet grille, Shelby Pedals and a Shelby windshield banner. I'll put some pictures up as soon as the weather gets warmer. :camera:

-Love the Grabber Orange SGT's btw. They just POP! Looks great.

If you want the most downforce (from a normal looking, low pro spoiler), then the OEM V6 spoiler is the one you want. It's proven to be the most effective of all of Ford's spoilers.

Personally, I don't like spoilers on these cars at all.

Ken

I GUESS I HAVE DIFFERENT TASTE. SO WHEN MY CAR WENT TO VEGAS TO

GET THE GT/SC PACKAGE I HAD THE HERTZ OR MUSTANG GT SPOILER

PAINTED AND INSTALLED ON MY CAR. IT IS THE ONLY ONE APPROVED BY

SAI TO BE INSTALLED ON THE GT/SC PACKAGE. I LIKE THE LOOK AND

IT DOES PROVIDE ABOUT 70 LBS OF DOWN FORCE AT 75 - 80 MPH

ACCORDING TO THE ENGINEERS AT FORD MOTOR ENVIRO WIND TUNNEL.

I DO ROAD RACE MY CAR AND I WAS ABLE TO FEEL THE DIFFERENCE IN

HOW LIGHT THE BACK END OF MY CAR FELT BEFORE AND AFTER THE

WING WAS INSTALLED. HERE'S A COUPLE OF PICTURE FOR YOU.

SCOTTY

post-18850-12665551557_thumb.jpg

post-18850-126655864614_thumb.jpg

post-18850-12665551557_thumb.jpg

post-18850-126655864614_thumb.jpg

I had a spoiler added to my SGT because I thought it looked like a "family sedan" without it. Have you ever seen how weird a little Mustang looks without a spoiler? I requested the dealership add a spoiler before I took my car home and they added the GT500 spoiler. I'm happy; it both looks and is fast. I say go for it!

I had a spoiler added to my SGT because I thought it looked like a "family sedan" without it. Have you ever seen how weird a little Mustang looks without a spoiler? I requested the dealership add a spoiler before I took my car home and they added the GT500 spoiler. I'm happy; it both looks and is fast. I say go for it!

I THOUGHT MY CAR LOOKED OK WITHOUT A SPOILER,

BUT IT LOOKS BETTER NOW THAT I HAVE ADDED ONE.

SCOTTY

I added the GT500 spoiler to my SGT...Out here in West Texas, I'm able to open it up a little more than most people in other places, and at about 120 without a spoiler, I definately noticed the rear end of the car being light. After I installed the GT500 spoiler, I noticed much improved feel in the rear end of the car at higher speeds. I've run it up to 155 out here and it was planted solid...It is a personal preference, and I've always liked the look of a spoiler on the back of the cars, so I did it and I'm glad I did!

Yeah. Im not doing it. I wasn't gonna to begin with, I just wanted to know what other people thought.

Allrighty then.........The wimpy v6/kr spoiler is the more

effective choice according to SVT/SAI????????? :hysterical:

OKAY WAY BETTER !!! I SEE WE HAVE THE SAME

TASTE ; PUT ON A SPOILER OR GO HOME. :hysterical:

SCOTTY

It is tempting to say that, isn't it? :rolleyes: I'm thinking the differences of opinion is more of generational thing. But, I like that a spoiler looks cool as hell AND there's a performance aspect to having one as well!

NO!!!!! This is one of the things that sets our car apart from the others!

IMHO.... NO....

The SGT has the best throwback styling of any of the modern 'Stangs. Why change it?

The '66 GT-350 had no spoiler as you pointed out. If you want to make it look like a Boss or Mach I, by all means... If you want to make it look like a GT-500, by all means...If you want to make it look like a Saleen or Roush, by all means...If you want to make it look like a MGT, by all means...

I think all of these cars are great, BTW. Keep the SGTs and Bullits true to their original styling.

I hope I don't have to eat those words someday... :hysterical:

If you want the most downforce (from a normal looking, low pro spoiler), then the OEM V6 spoiler is the one you want. It's proven to be the most effective of all of Ford's spoilers.

Personally, I don't like spoilers on these cars at all.

Ken

I also think the V6 spoiler is the best looking. However, I like mine without a spoiler. I really don't like the standard GT "wing".

I added the GT500 spoiler to my SGT...Out here in West Texas, I'm able to open it up a little more than most people in other places, and at about 120 without a spoiler, I definately noticed the rear end of the car being light. After I installed the GT500 spoiler, I noticed much improved feel in the rear end of the car at higher speeds. I've run it up to 155 out here and it was planted solid...It is a personal preference, and I've always liked the look of a spoiler on the back of the cars, so I did it and I'm glad I did!

did you say 155 :o

Like most say, it's a matter of personal taste. I prefer mustangs with spoilers, so I added a GT500 spoiler to 08SGT0528 very soon after I bought it.

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

Along with the HP Rating??????? :hysterical:

I hate to hijack this thread, but I wonder how many of your 5000+ post are as substantitive as this one...?

Go for the spoiler if you like it. I've been up to/above 150 and felt rock-solid without one...

Dan

Archived