TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 Shelby GT350 Pace Car

This article is reposted in its entirety from Mustang Monthly Magazine Blog, originally posted February 18, 2010

2011 SHELBY GT350 TO PACE SHELBY AMERICAN NASCAR RACE

Those who attend the 2010 Shelby American Sprint Cup NASCAR race will see the 2011 Shelby GT350 from Shelby American as it paces the Las Vegas NASCAR race on February 28.

This will be the first opportunity for the public to see the supercharged supercar at speed and the first time for a Shelby GT350 to pace a NASCAR event.

“When we unveiled the new 2011 Shelby GT350 last month, fans clamored for the car to pace this NASCAR race,” said Amy Boylan, president of Shelby American. “Since so much of the GT350 was developed on the road course, drag strip, and oval of Las Vegas Motor Speedway, it was appropriate to show off the Shelby’s handling there during the race. It will be exciting to watch a Shelby GT350 lead a race for the first time since 1970.”

The Shelby team unveiled a supercharged concept version of the 2011 Shelby GT350 at the Barrett-Jackson Auction Opening Night Gala to honor the 45th anniversary of the first GT350 and first Shelby big-block Cobra.

“The Shelby GT350 was designed to be nimble and powerful,” added Gary Davis, vice president of production for Shelby American. “Beginning with the new 2011 ‘small-block’ Mustang GT, we created a car that is as fun to drive as the ’65-’70 GT350 but thoroughly modern. It’s a true driver’s car.”

The Shelby GT350 is a post-title program; a customer purchases a car from their local Ford dealer, which is turned into a GT350 by Shelby American. A limited number will be built in the 2011 model year. A Mustang GT can be dropped shipped by a Ford dealer to Shelby’s Las Vegas facility for conversion or a customer can arrange to have a properly specified car transported to the factory.

Each GT350 will be clad in traditional white with Shelby Guardsman Blue LeMans stripes and will be powered by the new Coyote 5.0 liter V8 coupled to a 6-speed transmission. Blue Shelby GT350 valve covers and billet caps set off the supercharged engine. The Baer brake system features a 6-piston kit in the front, as well as 14” Eradispeed rotors in the rear with cooling ducts for all four corners.

The suspension has been upgraded with new Ford Racing springs, struts, sway bars, and adjustable caster/camber plates. The car also receives a new front fascia, tail light trim, front splitter, rear deck lid filler panel, and rear fascia with center-exit exhaust. Functional scoops are located on the side rockers and hood. GT350 badges on the outside and inside include a Shelby serial number. The A-pillar carries a fuel pressure, oil pressure, and boost gauge.

Customers interested in a Shelby GT350 should contact Roger Sorel at 702/942-7325 or log onto www.gt350.shelbyamerican.com.

post-10226-126653654364_thumb.gif

post-10226-126653654364_thumb.gif

Sweet is right. Has Marji given you the okay to order a GT350?

I have her "over my dead body" blessing. hysterical.gif Her "are you out of your mind" will be followed by "are you sure we can afford it" and finally "fine, but you better drive it more than you wash it".

I'm thinking next year after SA has some GT350's on the road.

:beerchug: :beerchug:

I have her "over my dead body" blessing. hysterical.gif Her "are you out of your mind" will be followed by "are you sure we can afford it" and finally "fine, but you better drive it more than you wash it".

I'm thinking next year after SA has some GT350's on the road.

I :salute: you sir, you have a very nice friend (wife) :beerchug:

Archived