TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spare Tire Delete!

So I see that instead of a spare tire that I have a compressor/sealant kit! Has anyone used this and if so does it work?

I'm sure the inflator gizmo works but I'm old school. Go to Ebay or a late model salvage yard and buy a Mustang GT spare tire and jack assembly. That's what I did for my SGT. I also have a GTH which did come with the same spare tire. Now I have a choice for my "flat tire motoring needs".

I agree that is the wisest choice, to have choices! Thanks guys!

I'm sure the inflator gizmo works but I'm old school. Go to Ebay or a late model salvage yard and buy a Mustang GT spare tire and jack assembly. That's what I did for my SGT. I also have a GTH which did come with the same spare tire. Now I have a choice for my "flat tire motoring needs".

I bought a full size wheel and tire identical to our standard equipment, many of us did.

On long trips, I take the full size spare, virtually an extra wheel.

Around town I dont worry about it. and leave it home.

Many have been delayed DAYS waiting for a tire replacement when on a road trip,

especially if you have a mishap on a weekend or in the middle of nowhere.

You may or may not want to complete your trip on a donut, I wouldnt, so I skipped that

as I consider it only half the answer.

And the car rides better with the weight of a full sized tire in the trunk

As the Ford engineers intended it without the shortsighted attempt

at overall weight reduction that was never intended in design stages.

The problem is, the factory jack won't fit under our lowered SGTs.! I had a sidewall blowout, so the inflator thingy was no good for me. I drove on the flat tire (which was toast anyway) till it started coming off the rim, then had a flatbed come and tow me. No damage to rim, but got scraped going on and off the flatbed, which was what I was trying ot avoid by driving to the dealer. Got the tire replaced the next day at the dealership, but what a pain! So I go looking for a spare and jack, just to be told that the jack won't fit under the car. I gave up for awhile, but have decided that a couple of short 2x10s nailed together could make a compact ramp or two to lift me just enough to get the factory jack under the car. I haven't gotten around to doing this yet, but it seems worthwhile.

The problem is, the factory jack won't fit under our lowered SGTs.! I had a sidewall blowout, so the inflator thingy was no good for me. I drove on the flat tire (which was toast anyway) till it started coming off the rim, then had a flatbed come and tow me. No damage to rim, but got scraped going on and off the flatbed, which was what I was trying ot avoid by driving to the dealer. Got the tire replaced the next day at the dealership, but what a pain! So I go looking for a spare and jack, just to be told that the jack won't fit under the car. I gave up for awhile, but have decided that a couple of short 2x10s nailed together could make a compact ramp or two to lift me just enough to get the factory jack under the car. I haven't gotten around to doing this yet, but it seems worthwhile.

Totally correct. The two 2x10s will give you enough room to get the jack under the car. The factory 2005+ Mustang GT jack and special wheel / tire will all fit nicely into the trunk well. I also added a 1/4 steel plate, about 8 inches by 10 inches to the trunk which I use to help balance the factory jack so it won't fall over if you have to park on non-paved surface.

Archived