TEAM SHELBY FORUM

no tpms in rear tires. ABS?

6.1hemi

I agree with tdusseau, would throw a code and here in Virginia when we have safety inspection you would fail because of it. That being said I'd think you could find someone to turn the light off. If it were me I'd want to know 100% there is no issue, I wouldn't want my traction control coming on or cutting timing because the computer thinks a tire is low from a lack of a tire sensor.

I recently swapped out rims/tires and bought new sensors to have installed in the new rims. I ordered the reprogramming tool but did not program the new sensors for about a week after putting them on the car. What I noticed is since I still have my stock wheels/sensors in the garage everytime I would start the car it would still pick up the old sensors and everything was fine. I could drive about 20miles to work and would still not have any lights on. I drive home and still nothing. Its not until I would stop by a drive thru on my way to work that the TPMS warning light would come on. So I guess you have to drive for a certain time without the sensors before the light would come on. I never received any warning light other then the TPMS light.

I recently swapped out rims/tires and bought new sensors to have installed in the new rims. I ordered the reprogramming tool but did not program the new sensors for about a week after putting them on the car. What I noticed is since I still have my stock wheels/sensors in the garage everytime I would start the car it would still pick up the old sensors and everything was fine. I could drive about 20miles to work and would still not have any lights on. I drive home and still nothing. Its not until I would stop by a drive thru on my way to work that the TPMS warning light would come on. So I guess you have to drive for a certain time without the sensors before the light would come on. I never received any warning light other then the TPMS light.

2nd2none, what sensors did you end up using for your 2010, I have heard that you can not use the earlier sensors that use the bands, you can only use the valve stem type, is that correct?

Also how involved is the programing process? Is the tool worth buying or can you just take it to any tire shop and have them program the sensors?

2nd2none, what sensors did you end up using for your 2010, I have heard that you can not use the earlier sensors that use the bands, you can only use the valve stem type, is that correct?

Also how involved is the programing process? Is the tool worth buying or can you just take it to any tire shop and have them program the sensors?

sensors I got/used. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-TPMS-SENSORS-FORD-FLEX-TRANSIT-LINCOLN-MKZ-2010_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c0edd497cQQitemZ120508467580QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I'm not sure about being able to use the old style bands.

the programming is very simple. you need http://www.americanmuscle.com/tpms-tool.html or I would guess you could go to the dealership and have them do it for you. to reprogram you put key in ignition and cycle from off to on 3 times. depress brake pedal and release. cycle key 3 more times. your horn will honk which means its in tpms program mode. your dash display will tell you to train LF tire. you hold the little tool up against the valve stem and push the button. your horn will honk telling you that tire/sensor is programmed. your dash display will now tell you to move to the RF tire. you do the same for all 4 tires and then you are done. takes 2mins to do it.

You are correct. While the 2010-2011 TPMS sensors operate at the same frequency as the older 2007-2009 sensors, they utilize a different bit communication architecture. Thus, mixing the two would result in an SJB/PCM that wouldn't recognize the transmitted signal.

Tob

Archived