TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Flat Rock Plant (AAI) sheds 900 employees...

hitman007

Our business is down too in what I thought was recession proof. Politicians don't get it. Only way to bring jobs back here is to impose import tariffs. They talk job creation, but have no clue. The only reason why tariffs won't be imposed is because our the debt that we owe to other countries, incl China. Debt = Slavery. So, 1st payoff China and then tariff their imports. Once more Americans are working then they will be able to buy products and services from other Americans. We make hardly noting anymore. This economy is only going to get worse.

Today, Automotive News reports that the AAI plant will be down to one shift beginning in July. That will certainally slow down and limit the production of 2011 500's and Mustang GT's for this model year. banghead.gif

I suggest that anyone buying a 2011 Mustang product get their orders into their dealers ASAP!!!

Let's hope that the 5.0 brings them back into the showroom. I am sure Ford had a reason for not timing the 5.0 with the changes in 2010 but I think this hurt 2010 sales as a lot of folks were hoding off for the 2011 drivetrain changes.

It was because the new engines weren't ready. (Ok V6 was) They needed something to hold off the Camaro so at least they had the cosmetic part ready to go.

At what point will Americans wake up and stop buying foreign crap????????????

When buying foreign goods is no longer considered "cool" or smart economics by society at large. Most of the foreign car owners I know don't have a clue about the "trade imbalance" effect their purchase has on our enonomy. For several decades now, the USA has been running annual trade deficits in the hundreds of billions. Some of our current recession pain is rooted in this foolishness. There's an old saying... "you reap what you sow". Well... the chickens have come home to roost and our bumpy economy is exhibit "A".

Ain't that the truth

I've never owned a vehicle NOT made by the big three.

All of my vehicles have been Ford (or Ford was the parent company) or Dodge.

Oh and if the middle east keeps playing games with oil, we should start cutting off the food exports.

You mean the Camaro made in Canada?

Canada is the US's largest trading partner. How about Canadians stop buying from the US and the Americans stop buying from Canada.

Oh yea, We'll keep our water and electricity too. Sorry no more water trucked to the US. Do you have any idea how much Water or Electricity Canada sells to the US?.

Alberta can stop sending oil south as well.

There is a little video you should watch. Remember WWII? You can thank my Dad for some of your freedom. Six years a Green Baret.

Battles involving the Canadian army;

The Canadian Army has participated in the following campaigns as a combatant:

•Second World War

◦Battle of Hong Kong

◦Dieppe Raid (dad was there, land mine blew off part of his foot.)

◦Sicily and Italy

◦Battle of Ortona

◦Northwest Europe

■Juno Beach (dad was there)

■Operation Market Garden

■Battle of Normandy (dad was there)

■Battle of the Scheldt (dad was there)

■Rhineland (dad was there)

■Battle of Groningen

Sorry for the rant but I get tired of the put downs and shots against Canada and Canadains.

I am out of here.

It doesn't help when the southern states give away the house to get Kia to locate a plant . Then pay people $ 10 to $15 hour to turn out crap . How can a family live on $10 to $15 hr rate and make ends meet ?. Alot of southern states would like the big three to fail. This has been going on for a long time in the south .

It doesn't help when the southern states give away the house to get Kia to locate a plant . Then pay people $ 10 to $15 hour to turn out crap . How can a family live on $10 to $15 hr rate and make ends meet ?. Alot of southern states would like the big three to fail. This has been going on for a long time in the south .

Oh Gawh, you are going to start another Civil War! Damn I'll miss NASCAR.

When there is other stuff than foreign crap to buy. Thats the biggest problem. Are economy is in the pits because we don't manufacture anything except cars, planes, and houses anymore. The rest is service based. When the base fails so does the rest. As more people lose jobs the less they have to spend on services. American companies can't afford to compete and American's don't have the jobs/income to pay the extra anymore.

Respectfully,

Roger

Lol a new economic conspiracy against the north you say lol. Do you really think that, all that anybody is trying to do is attract jobs and tax money. Wow!!!! According to this guy the south will rise again.

Respectfully,

Roger

Lol a new economic conspiracy against the north you say lol. Do you really think that, all that anybody is trying to do is attract jobs and tax money. Wow!!!! According to this guy the south will rise again.

Respectfully,

Roger

Hey i am just stating the facts not any silly conspiracy . If you can live a middle class life on $10-$15 hr and raise a family , then great. That's all i am saying . The politicians look great when they say" look @ the great jobs i created." Yes the tax revenue won't be there cause i gave that up . So your local tax increase will have to make up the difference and your wonderfull job will pay for those services .

Hey i am just stating the facts not any silly conspiracy . If you can live a middle class life on $10-$15 hr and raise a family , then great. That's all i am saying . The politicians look great when they say" look @ the great jobs i created." Yes the tax revenue won't be there cause i gave that up . So your local tax increase will have to make up the difference and your wonderfull job will pay for those services .

10 to 15 an hour is definately not middle class. But lets face it, most households are dual income and the cost of living is lower in the south than the north. (part of the reason I live in the south-without state inome tax) At this point its get the jobs you can or miss the boat. If I was in that position I would give a little. Lets face it the price of labor is going down here because the level of skill/education is not there. In addition the economic factors of a free market have opened us up to risk/reward. We are still alot more stable financially than we were prior to the war years and havent had to deal with a draft or any large regional conflicts. The bottom line is we got greedy and have been turned into a price driven purchasing society. We value the deal over quality and that is a big reason we won't pay the extra needed to keep jobs at home. Couple that with pricing that exceeds income and you have today's perfect storm. Until we become a manufacturing society with a technology no one else can lead in, (other than military hardware) we are stuck. As long as we need housing, arms sales, etc. to carry the base we will be vulnerable to the whims of the market. I don't blame a politician for doing everything he can to bring jobs to a state. We can't afford to look at the macro level anymore because that is eating into education, police, fire budgets.......

Respectfully,

Roger

Agreed, so when should I pull my 401(K) monies out? That depends on your age .

43...pull it out so as not to take a hit then put it back in when the market picks-up or ride it out and continue to buy stock at a discounted rate? I have a concern for the economic condition in Greece, if any one is paying attention...what will happen when we default in our interest payments back to the Chinese? Complete economic collapse?

ame='mach 1 1970' date='19 February 2010 - 12:55 PM' timestamp='1266609347' post='912583']

43...pull it out so as not to take a hit then put it back in when the market picks-up or ride it out and continue to buy stock at a discounted rate? I have a concern for the economic condition in Greece, if any one is paying attention...what will happen when we default in our interest payments back to the Chinese? Complete economic collapse?

We will never pay back our debt to China. At least not in our lifetime or our kids lifetime, our gradkids will inherit it. Nice inheritance! If China ever calls in the loans and we default all hell will break loose, they will either own half the country or we will have a major conflict.

Things to think about!

Where are those figures from? I think it's a lot of media hype and misconstrued numbers on both parts.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/24/opinion/main4630103.shtml

The difference seems to be negligible now between those who work for foreign vs. domestic automakers here in the states. The biggest issue previously was union vs nonunion because the unions aren't cheap to run and cost workers a bit of their salary in dues. The debate can rage on whether or not unions are still useful in our modern economy (it's heated on both sides) but I haven't come across any hard evidence that autoworkers are paid substantially less in the south.

Take out health benefits, 401k, etc., and the average autoworker makes approximately $50-60k a year. Not too shabby considering not too many autoworkers need a college education and I know plenty of "professionals" with 4 year college degrees making $50k.

ame='mach 1 1970' date='19 February 2010 - 12:55 PM' timestamp='1266609347' post='912583']

Dollar cost average will work for you @ your age. I would not try to time the market with a 401k cause you have a time lag in trading . I have seen the market move 500 points in one day up or down . Your investment choice is more important than trying to time the market. Timing the maket means getting out @ the peak , human nature says things are going great why get out . It is very hard to go the opposite direction from success . Then you have to wait and see if your move was correct over 12 months or more.

Archived