TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4th Revision - The new revised Clutch TSB 10-3-8

Grabber

Grabber,

Got my KR back and wow what a diff in the new clutch... Shifts great, no shutter, no shaking, smooth like a new car feeling. Now I have to get use to the new driving style of the clutch. Can you tell me how long it usually takes to break in the new clutch... I stepped on it a bit and the Supercharger seemed low in sound not like it use to be and the car sort of felt sluggish (maybe its just me). I want to punch it hard and reassure they didn't effect the PCM tune. Anyway you could tell if they did not touch it? Was your wifes car pulling the same afterward? Did anyone else have a sort of slower feeling with the car afterward? Just curious if anyone had concerns, not about the clutch but the Tune and HP afterward? I do miss the Hiss sound and supercharger full whine!!!

1 AR3Z*6375*A Flywheel Asy

1 CR3Z*7B546*A Clutch Asy

1 9R3Z*7C391*B Kit - Repair - Input Shaft

1 F6ZZ*7600*A Sleeve

1 DR3Z*7A508*A Cylinder Say - Clutch Slave

1 AR3Z*7A512*A Tube

6 *N808969*S100 Bolt

8 F6ZZ*6379*AA Bolt - Hex.Head

Thanks Grabber and everyone for the info on this forum...

Mac

I can relate to your car not feeling like it did before.Before i took it in for the new clutch and other parts,i took off the cai and put the stock tune back in,knowing about the reflash.When i got it back i put it back to the way it was before.I've put over 500 miles on the new clutch and i've only tickled the supercharger and it doesn't feel right or in your words"sluggish".I haven't come down on it hard yet but also i have to keep in mind the Fl.temp. is about 90 degrees everyday and that's not helping matters.Actually i'm alittle paranoid about geting on it hard afraid that i will shorten the life of that new organic clutch.I'm sure eventually i will open it up and see what happens.

• 1 month later...

Just had the TSB done on my 2009 Shelby GT500. It is amazing at the difference it made in the feel of the clutch. A lot softer. But now i too have that chatter noise when the car is in neutral and the clutch out. Going back to the shop to check it out Wednesday the 12th. TSB was performed with no questions asked except for the symptoms it had. after that it was all done and good to go. They did tell me break it in for 500 miles before getting "on it",. So thats what i am doing. i have 100 miles left..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Grabber for all the information about the clutch assembly. Using your recomenation I ordered everything you listed from Tasca and had it installed by my local Ford dealer. I just picked up my car this morning. WOW what a difference, no more clutch chatter, don't have to rev the engine on take off to keep it from chattering and can now ease to a really slow start . The clutch pedal is so soft it almost feels like it's not connected to anything.

I had just under 37,000 miles on my original clutch. I never had it replaced before under the TSB. It never had any of the problems that others complained of. A couple of weeks ago sitting at a stop light I went to put it in 1st gear and it kicked back the shift lever twice before it went in. Then when parking It didn't want to go in reverse at first attempt. I figured it must be getting close to having a failure. The old clutch disc was really worn down and probably only had a couple thousand miles at most left on it. Good thing I had it replaced before a major failure and leaving me stranded or maybe even damaging the transmission.

Thanks again for the information.

Thanks Grabber for all the information about the clutch assembly. Using your recomenation I ordered everything you listed from Tasca and had it installed by my local Ford dealer. I just picked up my car this morning. WOW what a difference, no more clutch chatter, don't have to rev the engine on take off to keep it from chattering and can now ease to a really slow start . The clutch pedal is so soft it almost feels like it's not connected to anything.

I had just under 37,000 miles on my original clutch. I never had it replaced before under the TSB. It never had any of the problems that others complained of. A couple of weeks ago sitting at a stop light I went to put it in 1st gear and it kicked back the shift lever twice before it went in. Then when parking It didn't want to go in reverse at first attempt. I figured it must be getting close to having a failure. The old clutch disc was really worn down and probably only had a couple thousand miles at most left on it. Good thing I had it replaced before a major failure and leaving me stranded or maybe even damaging the transmission.

Thanks again for the information.

I'm happy to hear that your experiance in getting the new clutch system installed was great, just like mine and many others here have witnessed. It's so nice to be able to drive the car normally now !!!

Congrats to you. :happy feet:

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine back from the dealer - I was a little worried bringing it in since it was 2 months out of the 3/36. The clutch issue surfaced at 21,000 miles on my 09. I let the service department know what was going on based on this thread.

Initial estimate: 96.00 to diagnose the trans, then they would give me a decision on the warranty status.

2 days later they called and said it would be covered under the extended warranty (which meant a $100.00 deductible)

3 weeks later (had to wait for parts) the car was ready for pickup. I went to the service department and it turned out it was fully covered under warranty. $0.00!

Now I'm getting familiar with the new pedal feel - MAJOR difference!

Thanks to everyone for sharing - you guys helped save me the cost of an aftermarket clutch!

• 4 months later...

Grabber,

Thanks very much for your ongoing information on the clutch TSB

I had the 10-3-8 TSB done at Tuttle Clik Ford in San Juan Capistrano on my 2008 GT500KR. No hassle. They did a great job. Treated the car (and me) with the utmost care. I was very impressed. Thumbs up to Tuttle Clik.

I have read forum after forum - 2009 Shelby GT500 13,900 Miles All Stock (Bumper to Bumper expired - 20 months remaining on Drive Train). I am having hissing and my car is shaking when leaving 1st gear. I do not have any problem entering any gears. I am thinking about Mcleod GT500 RTS Street Twin Disc Clutch kit and flywheel (26 Spline).

Will this replacement fix the hissing and the shaking, is this a good decision?

• 1 month later...

...your clutch may very well be good as the hiss and chatter is normal for the 07-09 clutch...once you start engaging the clutch quickly, it wont chatter...I chatters when you bring your RPM's up and let the clutch out gradually (slipping), and it doesn't like it. All that said, the 2010+ clutches don't do any of that...

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so I posted on another tread around this topic. I have a 2007 that I got the TSB at 2.5 years into my 3/36 warranty at 5000 miles. Car was put into service on 2/4/2007. The TSB that switched out to the 2010 flywheel/clutch was posted 2/12/12, seven days after my warranty expired. Two days ago, I ran over something in the open road and a few minutes later my clutch would not dis-engage. Mile milage is at 10K miles.

What is shameful is they switched to a new TSP, basically telling everyone they have issues with the earlier equipment, but the early adoptors of the GT500 are stuck as the modification to the TSP came out after most warranties expired (2007 was 3/36 and did not have the 5/60 till 2008).

I talked to Ford care at 800-392-3673 and they said there is nothing they can do and they do not have enough complaits to create a factory recall..

In my mind, with 4 TSP changes around the same issue, they would call a factory recall, especially since they went to the 2010 flywheel on revison 4.

I encourage ANYONE that is having this issue (power of social media) call Ford and complain. They log each complaint and are audited to determine if an issue is a factory recall. Even those of you that switched out to a different flywheel/clutch assembly should call if you had any issues with the factory 07/09 parts.

Power of the people!

• 5 months later...

hi, just a quick question on this, im purchasing a 2008 gt500 and has only been 1 owner who maintained all logs and services (all dealer done), he has completed this 10-3-8 TSB and i even confirmed by looking at the all the part numbers. my only question is now that this is fixed, have any people experianced any trouble after this fix? i test drove the car and the clutch was flawless, but i just want to make sure that this TSB actually solved all the problems and will hold for the future. thanks!

hi, just a quick question on this, im purchasing a 2008 gt500 and has only been 1 owner who maintained all logs and services (all dealer done), he has completed this 10-3-8 TSB and i even confirmed by looking at the all the part numbers. my only question is now that this is fixed, have any people experianced any trouble after this fix? i test drove the car and the clutch was flawless, but i just want to make sure that this TSB actually solved all the problems and will hold for the future. thanks!

My 2007 GT500 is working perfectly with this TSB and so is my wifes 2009 GT500. You should be fine for along time.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2009 is with the Ford dealer getting this TSB upgrade, Ford is picking up the expense under warranty. Question about the transmission fluid - should I just go with the stock fluids or provide some Royal Purple while they are doing the work? Since they are doing the work under warranty, will they even allow the use of an aftermarket fluid? Concern would be that if there is a problem, they could blame me for use of non-OEM fluids as part of the update and not address it.

Looking forward to the upgrade as the stock clutch was slipping and the pedal pressure was very stiff. Leaning toward letting them do everything and maybe going to RP later after I break it in and put some miles on it.

Ok, so I'm new here. I traded my 2010 "SS"Camaro Transformer Edition with 7500 miles for a 2009 Torch Red with white stripes GT500 with 9500mi which now has 9900mi. First off, I love the car. Camaro was an auto, this ones a 6spd. Which now brings me to my problem. I have just started having what seems to be serious clutch slippage from 2nd gear on. I know how to drive a std trans car without issues. From what I am seeing, this seems to be an issue with the 07-09 cars? If so, with the car being 4 years old and obviously out of the 3/36 warranty, has anyone had any luck with Ford helping out with what my dealer is saying is a $3k kit for this fix, if in fact it is the clutch that is cooked? I would have thought that everything in the drivetrain would have been pretty heavy duty to accommodate the hp these beasts put out. This is an absurd repair for this type of mileage IMO.

Thanks.

Ok, so I'm new here. I traded my 2010 "SS"Camaro Transformer Edition with 7500 miles for a 2009 Torch Red with white stripes GT500 with 9500mi which now has 9900mi. First off, I love the car. Camaro was an auto, this ones a 6spd. Which now brings me to my problem. I have just started having what seems to be serious clutch slippage from 2nd gear on. I know how to drive a std trans car without issues. From what I am seeing, this seems to be an issue with the 07-09 cars? If so, with the car being 4 years old and obviously out of the 3/36 warranty, has anyone had any luck with Ford helping out with what my dealer is saying is a $3k kit for this fix, if in fact it is the clutch that is cooked? I would have thought that everything in the drivetrain would have been pretty heavy duty to accommodate the hp these beasts put out. This is an absurd repair for this type of mileage IMO.

Thanks.

See the attached thread I did. Your warranty is up, so you will need to pay just under $1,500 bucks to get the 2010 set up put in your car.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76365-clutch-drag-tsb-4th-revision-143818-if-you-have-to-pay-for-it/

Edited by Grabber

Thanks for all your help. Just can't believe with so few miles and a fix like this is needed. I can't say this enough that I would have seriously thought that since so many people put these cars on the track that they would have been built to withstand what is meant to be given to a car with this kind of hp. Well, we shall see when I bring it in again what they will really do for me. I sent Ford an email about this but I'm sure they have heard this same song and dance many many times by now.

Thanks again.

See if they will fix it under the "Drivetrain Warranty", it will still be covered if it is determined to be defective. The Flywheel is the key, see if there are hotspots or warping.

They had told me that if it were to be the clutch, then that item is referred to the normal wear items under the exclusions and not covered. I will surely ask though. I definitely won't be leaving without a fight though lol.

• 4 months later...

Hello my name is manuel i own a 2009 shelby gt500, i bught the car on april 2013, a new trans and a new clutch was installed prior to sale, on feb this year the input shaft is damage and all the synchronizers are burn up, after talking to the dealer Texas Direct Auto in houston, they agree to help, they rebuild my trasmission with a new input shaft (BG600) from D&D performance, new synchronizers (BS6012C, BS6034H, BS6056H) New bearing input (BB4) and replace clutch KIT (7R3Z-7L596-A) and flywheel (9R3Z-6375-B) cylinder (4R3Z-7A508-AA), they finally call me yesterday and the car was ready to pick up, i drive for a few blocks and i fill a small vibation on 1st and 2nd gear, they say its normal but to be honest i dont know what to think anymore, i leave the car on the Dealer one more time saying that this is not normal for me and they promise that they are going to check the car again.

Can you help me or help me to find anwsers please

Manuel

Hello my name is manuel i own a 2009 shelby gt500, i bught the car on april 2013, a new trans and a new clutch was installed prior to sale, on feb this year the input shaft is damage and all the synchronizers are burn up, after talking to the dealer Texas Direct Auto in houston, they agree to help, they rebuild my trasmission with a new input shaft (BG600) from D&D performance, new synchronizers (BS6012C, BS6034H, BS6056H) New bearing input (BB4) and replace clutch KIT (7R3Z-7L596-A) and flywheel (9R3Z-6375-B) cylinder (4R3Z-7A508-AA), they finally call me yesterday and the car was ready to pick up, i drive for a few blocks and i fill a small vibation on 1st and 2nd gear, they say its normal but to be honest i dont know what to think anymore, i leave the car on the Dealer one more time saying that this is not normal for me and they promise that they are going to check the car again.

Can you help me or help me to find anwsers please

Manuel

On a 2009 the trans support brace can be put in one way for the regular mustang and it must be flipped over the other way for the GT500. If the support brace is installed upside down it causes that vibration in first and second gear. This is a easy mistake by the installer and a very easy fix.

Well Mr. Rob (Grabber) is a wise and experience man im so glad that we still have people like him in this world, he didn't even have to look at my car to know what was the problem and he gave me the solution right away, that vibration was getting on my nerves and it was driving me crazy im so glad that i'm the kind of person that doesn't give up with the first no, and yes the support was up side down so i flipped over and the problem is gone, i have no words to thank enough to Mr. Rob thank you so much and God bless you Rob.

Well Mr. Rob (Grabber) is a wise and experience man im so glad that we still have people like him in this world, he didn't even have to look at my car to know what was the problem and he gave me the solution right away, that vibration was getting on my nerves and it was driving me crazy im so glad that i'm the kind of person that doesn't give up with the first no, and yes the support was up side down so i flipped over and the problem is gone, i have no words to thank enough to Mr. Rob thank you so much and God bless you Rob.

:-)

I'm glad that my diagnosis was correct. Once you text messaged me that photo of your trans brace/support, I just had to call you and tell you to flip the brace. It was nice talking to you and hopefully we can meet up some day at an event.There is a old slogan that I try to keep on the top of my mind. "What you do...come back on you".

Edited by Grabber

• 1 year later...

McLeod RXT Street Twin Disc Clutch Kit this is the onre i was going to order just want to know if there

was any extra parts i should get that doesnt come with the kit i talked with the dealer up in alaska and if

i go with the ford clutch it would be between 2200 to 3000 depending on if everything had to be replaced

and how is the new ford clutch

I replaced with the same clutch, I also replaced The clutch slave cylinder 05+ long design, JHR high volume clutch line. $1658.00 in parts plus about 4.5 hr for the install. I like the way that RXT works my last factory clutch lasted 29,000 miles

• 1 month later...

I'm brand new here but have owned a Shelby GT500 since 2/8/2011. It looks like a lot of people here have the same issue with theirs, so I thought I would give it a shot. Ford may have me bent over a barrel with my clutch situation right now, but I am so angry I may seek legal assistance and get a class action going. Let me try to make a long story short.

2/8/11 - Buy my GT500 from a dealership with less than 3k miles.

8/1/13 - Car has 55k miles and the clutch is slipping in gears 4-6 when attempting to accelerate. Buddy at dealership identifies this as the clutch. Recommends OEM clutch/flywheel/etc. $3,100 in parts and labor. No explanation on why clutch would go so fast or knowledge of defection.

5/26/15 - Car only has 62k miles (Yes, 7,000 on new clutch) and the same signs are occurring. I never spin the wheels. Car has only been over 70mph a handful of times since clutch repair as I moved very close to my new job. I do my homework and find a lot of complaints and issues online. Speak to SVT and he gives me TSB codes that send me to this forum. I tell the dealership but they are refusing to help since the clutch warranty was 12k/12 months when I purchased it and it has now been 21 months. I have escalated as far as Ford will allow with no resolution. I found out that the clutch was replaced by the owner under warranty before I purchased it. This would make THREE clutches in 62,000 MILES!!

I love mustangs, Shelby in particular. I have owned an Excusrion, 2 F-350s and this is my 3rd mustang. ('96 Saleen and '69 Mach One) However, this is obviously a defective clutch/transmission. If they don't do right by me I will never purchase another Ford automobile.

Anyone have any suggestions?

With a high-torque automobile such as the GT500, it is very easy to ruin a clutch during its break-in period of about 500 miles. It's not the total speed of the car that ruins it, it is the excessive torque it's subjected to from the engine during acceleration. Sounds like your car's original clutch got fried and the original owner learned how to break it in properly after it was replaced. You got about 49k on it which is pretty good. There should have been at least a paragraph in the owner's manual regarding proper clutch break-in procedure (taking it easy, no bursts of acceleration) and duration (for at least 500 miles).

A clutch, like brakes and tires, are wearable parts subjected to driver abuse and wear usually not covered by warranties. I recommend having a new clutch installed and follow proper break-in procedure.

Edited by Secondo