TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4th Revision - The new revised Clutch TSB 10-3-8

Grabber

A friend of mine gave me a copy of the 4th revised Clutch Drag TSB 10-3-8.

This one supersedes TSB 09-19-11 and it removes the production fix date and it updates the service procedure and parts list.

Looks like cars built after 9/1/08 can now get the repair done as well.

The added the replacement of the CSC (Clutch Slave Cylinder) to the parts list too.

They are now saying that the PCM must be reprogrammed after the new clutch is installed with the latest calibration.

The PDF file is too big to load and I do not have a scanner so these photos of the TSB will have to do.

TSB

10-3-8

• SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH DRAG

Publication Date: February 12, 2010

FORD:2007-2009 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 09-19-11 to remove the production fix date, update the Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE:

Some 2007-2009 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles may exhibit the following clutch/transmission symptoms: hard to disengage or engage 1st and reverse, hard to shift all gears, vehicle creeps with transmission in gear and clutch pedal fully depressed without brake pedal application. These symptoms may be caused by the clutch not disengaging fully when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. This may be due to flywheel distortion caused by excessive heat build-up during unique traffic conditions (example: severe stop/go urban driving, excessive clutch slipping). The clutch system is designed for performance driving conditions.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Located at the end of the procedure are Figures 1, 2 and 3 which show the typical appearance of a flywheel and clutch that has been damaged due to overheating of the clutch. Figures 4, 5 and 6 show the typical appearance of a good flywheel and clutch.

This procedure does not apply to or correct the normal characteristics of the twin-disc cera-metallic clutch used in the Shelby GT500 vehicle or normal wear. The twin disc cera-metallic clutch incorporates racing technology to combine a low inertia assembly with a very durable friction material with high torque capability. Depending on your driving technique, the smoothness of how the clutch reacts to clutch engagements may be different from other vehicles that use a single disc clutch system. Also refer to pages 8 and 9 of the GT500 Owner Guide Supplement for additional information.

Normal Operating Characteristics Of The Twin Disc Cera-metallic Clutch

• Clutch chatter/shudder when engaging the clutch.
  • Narrow or abrupt engagement point.
  • Hiss upon clutch engagement or disengagement.
  • Transmission gear rollover noise at idle.
  • Gear rattle noise at very low speeds when in 1st or 2nd gear.
  • Normal wear.

Diagnosis And Service Procedure Update

Based on engineering analysis of all of the returned transmission components replaced when performing the prior TSBs, it has been determined that the synchronizer assemblies and transmission input shafts do not exhibit any abnormal wear that would require transmission component replacements.

A diagnostic procedure has been developed to confirm that the transmission synchronizers are operating properly and prevent any unnecessary transmission repairs.

Transmission Synchronizer Diagnosis Procedure

The following procedure is to be used to determine if the synchronizer assemblies in the transmission may have been damaged by attempting to operate the vehicle with a dragging clutch.

1. Set parking brake.
  2. Transmission in neutral.
  3. Start engine and allow it to idle.
  4. Clutch engaged - pedal fully released.
  5. Attempt to shift transmission into first gear by firmly pushing shift lever approximately 5-10 lb-ft (22-45 N-m) force for 2-3 seconds.
  6. If the synchronizers are okay, the transmission will not make any clash or grinding noise. You will not be able to move the gearshift lever into the selected gear (the synchronizer will block out gear engagement) and the engine RPM will decrease slightly.
  7. Repeat the synchronizer test (Step 5 and 6) on all of the other forward gears.

1. If the transmission passes the synchronizer test, the transmission will not require additional service; proceed with clutch/flywheel replacement only. Refer to Clutch Replacement procedure.
    2. If clash/grinding noise is found when performing the synchronizer diagnostic, the transmission will need to be repaired along with the replacement of the clutch. Refer to Transmission Repair procedure.

Clutch Replacement

1. Remove the transmission per 2010 Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03C.
  2. Remove and replace flywheel per 2010 WSM, Section 303-01C. Discard old bolts and use new bolts.
  3. Install new pilot bearing per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01.
  4. Install new clutch disc and plate assembly per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01. Using new bolts.
  5. Apply a small amount of Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant to the clutch hub splines per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01.
  6. Install new clutch slave cylinder and hydraulic line per 2010 WSM, Section 308-02.
  7. Install the transmission per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
  8. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Reprogramming.

Transmission Repair

1. Remove, drain, disassemble and clean the transmission per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
  2. Remove and replace input shaft and all synchronizer assemblies per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
  3. Assemble the transmission per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
  4. Install the transmission per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
  5. Refer to PCM Reprogramming.

PCM Reprogramming

The PCM must be reprogrammed after the clutch is replaced. Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 65.07 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2010.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

PART NUMBERPART NAMEAR3Z-6375-AFlywheelAR3Z-7B546-AClutch7R3Z-7C391-BTransmission KitXG-8Motorcraft® PTFE LubricantXT-5-QMMotorcraft® MERCON® V Automatic Transmission FluidPM-1-CMotorcraft® High Performance DOT 3 Motor Vehicle Brake FluidXG-1-CMotorcraft® Premium Long-Life GreaseTA-30Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and SealantTA-25Motorcraft® Threadlock and SealerF6ZZ-7600-APilot Bearing1R3Z-7052-AATransmission Input Shaft Oil SealAR3Z-7A508-AClutch Slave CylinderAR3Z-7A512-AClutch Slave TubeN808969-S100Clutch Bolt (6 required)F6ZZ-6379-AAFlywheel Bolt (8 required)

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME100308A2007-2009 Mustang GT500: Replace The Clutch Disc And Plate Assembly; Pilot Bearing, Slave Cylinder And Flywheel. Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission, Perform The Synchronizer Diagnosis, And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)4.2 Hrs.100308B2007-2009 Mustang GT500: Replace The Input Shaft; Synchronizer Assemblies, Clutch Disc And Plate Assembly; Pilot Bearing, Slave Cylinder And Flywheel. Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission, Perform The Synchronizer Diagnosis, And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)

Click to enlarge:

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

The attached thread has Pic's of the 2010 Clutch and flywheel.

http://www.teamshelb...ost__p__1300288

Costs for the new parts (7/21/12) :

Item Description Fulfillment Price Per Item Quantity Subtotal SLEEVE

Part #: F6ZZ7600A

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable $13.20

Remove $13.20 CYLINDER ASY - CLUTCH SLAVE

Part #: AR3Z7A508A

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable $221.81

Remove $221.81 BOLT

Part #: N808969S100

Pack Qty: 6 Shippable $22.00

Remove $22.00 FLYWHEEL ASY

Part #: AR3Z6375A

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable $253.60

Remove $253.60 CLUTCH ASY

Part #: CR3Z7B546A

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable $601.20

Remove $601.20 LUBRICANT - TEFLON

Part #: XG8

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable $7.92

Remove $7.92 TUBE

Part #: AR3Z7A512A

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable $76.81

Remove $76.81 FLUID - BRAKE

Part #: PM1C

Pack Qty: 1 Shippable $4.78

Remove $4.78 BOLT - HEX.HEAD

Part #: F6ZZ6379AA

Pack Qty: 3 Shippable $11.17

Remove $33.51

clear.gif?v=20

Parts Subtotal: $1,234.83 Total: $1,234.83

Edited by Grabber
added link to 2010 clutch photos

Does this have any application for those that had the TSB done already? and is it something that I should look at (the CSC) because that wasn't replaced when I had mine done, or just leave it alone? Figured this question might come up anyhow...

And 'round and 'round it goes! :headspin:

If your still under warranty...let ford fix it.

When the warranty runs out...go aftermarket.

Mines running fine, but I'm going to ask my Mech about the PCM change.

It would be easier if I could just hit up the dealership in Ohio where I had the actual TSB done. I might run it by the local dealership here in Modesto and see what they say, but I might have to rehash the process again, and depending (hit or miss) either get an okay, or hit a wall with the dealership - you know how that can go.

And refresh my memory if you will... what are they warrantied up to again? I'm just shy of 25k miles I think. :headscratch:

Thank's for the Update Rob;

I was going to have this done before Christmas but decided to wait for the

Summer just before my 3 yr. Warranty runs out just for this reason to get

the latest update for the procedure.......................

I was thinking the same thing with the KR? I am going to be going in this week at some point. I will see if they can leave pcm alone. Anywhere we can print the forms above to have?

Thanks Rob, Your attention to details and posted new developments on this has helped

numerous people and me too.

You da man !!

IS

Hi Rob, any ideas how this would affect my situation?

Also, I am not understanding why a PCM update or how that would change anything?

Do you know if this applies to people like me that have already had a previous TSB done?

This is crucial for me because if I cant get Ford to rightfully fix my car, I am selling it.

Thank you so much once again

I'm also at a loss to see what the PCM has to do with the clutch :headscratch:

At least those with custom tunes know to put it back to stock before bringing it in for this procedure. Flashing over the tune would create a REAL headache.

Chuck I thought you were getting a 2011 anyway??

Edited by mullens

I'm sorry but I have to add in my 2 cents about this whole situation

WTF is Ford thinking. How many freaking revisions do they think they can toss our way?

Why don't they just replace all damaged trannys with new ones and replace all defective clutch kits with the 2010 which has proven to work flawlessly with none of the issues the 07-09 cars have.

I can't believe I am considering buying another GT500 quite frankly after the way Ford has treated its halo car customers.

My gut says tell them to F off and buy the 2010 AMG down the street from me

rant off

I'm also at a loss to see what the PCM has to do with the clutch :headscratch:

At least those with custom tunes know to put it back to stock before bringing it in for this procedure. Flashing over the tune would create a REAL headache.

Chuck I thought you were getting a 2011 anyway??

I am but only if the dealer will go to bat for me and give me a good price, which you know how that goes.

I have been optimistic about that, but I will know soon, as they just received their first allocation and I am going in this Sat to talk numbers.

I love my 2007 so much but it has been nothing but headaches since day one, right from when Ford delivered it to the wrong dealer 8 hours away

Edited by chuckstang

Here's the full new TSB:

TSB

10-3-8

• SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH DRAG

Publication Date: February 12, 2010

FORD:2007-2009 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 09-19-11 to remove the production fix date, update the Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE:

Some 2007-2009 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles may exhibit the following clutch/transmission symptoms: hard to disengage or engage 1st and reverse, hard to shift all gears, vehicle creeps with transmission in gear and clutch pedal fully depressed without brake pedal application. These symptoms may be caused by the clutch not disengaging fully when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. This may be due to flywheel distortion caused by excessive heat build-up during unique traffic conditions (example: severe stop/go urban driving, excessive clutch slipping). The clutch system is designed for performance driving conditions.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Located at the end of the procedure are Figures 1, 2 and 3 which show the typical appearance of a flywheel and clutch that has been damaged due to overheating of the clutch. Figures 4, 5 and 6 show the typical appearance of a good flywheel and clutch.

This procedure does not apply to or correct the normal characteristics of the twin-disc cera-metallic clutch used in the Shelby GT500 vehicle or normal wear. The twin disc cera-metallic clutch incorporates racing technology to combine a low inertia assembly with a very durable friction material with high torque capability. Depending on your driving technique, the smoothness of how the clutch reacts to clutch engagements may be different from other vehicles that use a single disc clutch system. Also refer to pages 8 and 9 of the GT500 Owner Guide Supplement for additional information.

Normal Operating Characteristics Of The Twin Disc Cera-metallic Clutch

• Clutch chatter/shudder when engaging the clutch.
  • Narrow or abrupt engagement point.
  • Hiss upon clutch engagement or disengagement.
  • Transmission gear rollover noise at idle.
  • Gear rattle noise at very low speeds when in 1st or 2nd gear.
  • Normal wear.

Diagnosis And Service Procedure Update

Based on engineering analysis of all of the returned transmission components replaced when performing the prior TSBs, it has been determined that the synchronizer assemblies and transmission input shafts do not exhibit any abnormal wear that would require transmission component replacements.

A diagnostic procedure has been developed to confirm that the transmission synchronizers are operating properly and prevent any unnecessary transmission repairs.

Transmission Synchronizer Diagnosis Procedure

The following procedure is to be used to determine if the synchronizer assemblies in the transmission may have been damaged by attempting to operate the vehicle with a dragging clutch.

1. Set parking brake.
  2. Transmission in neutral.
  3. Start engine and allow it to idle.
  4. Clutch engaged - pedal fully released.
  5. Attempt to shift transmission into first gear by firmly pushing shift lever approximately 5-10 lb-ft (22-45 N-m) force for 2-3 seconds.
  6. If the synchronizers are okay, the transmission will not make any clash or grinding noise. You will not be able to move the gearshift lever into the selected gear (the synchronizer will block out gear engagement) and the engine RPM will decrease slightly.
  7. Repeat the synchronizer test (Step 5 and 6) on all of the other forward gears.
    1. If the transmission passes the synchronizer test, the transmission will not require additional service; proceed with clutch/flywheel replacement only. Refer to Clutch Replacement procedure.
    2. If clash/grinding noise is found when performing the synchronizer diagnostic, the transmission will need to be repaired along with the replacement of the clutch. Refer to Transmission Repair procedure.

Clutch Replacement

1. Remove the transmission per 2010 Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03C.
  2. Remove and replace flywheel per 2010 WSM, Section 303-01C. Discard old bolts and use new bolts.
  3. Install new pilot bearing per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01.
  4. Install new clutch disc and plate assembly per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01. Using new bolts.
  5. Apply a small amount of Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant to the clutch hub splines per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01.
  6. Install new clutch slave cylinder and hydraulic line per 2010 WSM, Section 308-02.
  7. Install the transmission per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
  8. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Reprogramming.

Transmission Repair

1. Remove, drain, disassemble and clean the transmission per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
  2. Remove and replace input shaft and all synchronizer assemblies per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
  3. Assemble the transmission per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
  4. Install the transmission per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
  5. Refer to PCM Reprogramming.

PCM Reprogramming

The PCM must be reprogrammed after the clutch is replaced. Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 65.07 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2010.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

PART NUMBERPART NAMEAR3Z-6375-AFlywheelAR3Z-7B546-AClutch7R3Z-7C391-BTransmission KitXG-8Motorcraft® PTFE LubricantXT-5-QMMotorcraft® MERCON® V Automatic Transmission FluidPM-1-CMotorcraft® High Performance DOT 3 Motor Vehicle Brake FluidXG-1-CMotorcraft® Premium Long-Life GreaseTA-30Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and SealantTA-25Motorcraft® Threadlock and SealerF6ZZ-7600-APilot Bearing1R3Z-7052-AATransmission Input Shaft Oil SealAR3Z-7A508-AClutch Slave CylinderAR3Z-7A512-AClutch Slave TubeN808969-S100Clutch Bolt (6 required)F6ZZ-6379-AAFlywheel Bolt (8 required)

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME100308A2007-2009 Mustang GT500: Replace The Clutch Disc And Plate Assembly; Pilot Bearing, Slave Cylinder And Flywheel. Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission, Perform The Synchronizer Diagnosis, And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)4.2 Hrs.100308B2007-2009 Mustang GT500: Replace The Input Shaft; Synchronizer Assemblies, Clutch Disc And Plate Assembly; Pilot Bearing, Slave Cylinder And Flywheel. Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission, Perform The Synchronizer Diagnosis, And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)

The new items on this revised TSB are the following in Red:

Install new clutch slave cylinder and hydraulic line per 2010 WSM, Section 308-02

The PCM must be reprogrammed after the clutch is replaced. Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 65.07 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2010.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com

So,........I am a little confused on all this (after 3 years). Would it be safe to say that ALL 2007 to 2009 Clutch's are needing a little TLC at some point in time? Even the ones built after 08/2008?

I am not the sharpest pencil in the box, so please, can you cast a ray of sunshine my way and tell me WTF this all means :confused: , in short, small, simple, words.

QSS

The new items on this revised TSB are the following in Red:

Install new clutch slave cylinder and hydraulic line per 2010 WSM, Section 308-02

The PCM must be reprogrammed after the clutch is replaced. Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 65.07 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2010.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com

Hello Rob, have you heard why Ford wants to recalibrate the PCM ? What does it change/add or remove?

Thank you

So are they now using the 2010 clutch/flywheel kit for these replacements?

I noticed it mentioned 2010 in many places when refering to parts?

I'd say its safe to say Ford hasnt a clue on how to treat their customers.

Simple as this, replace all damaged units that are still under warranty with the new and working 2010 clutch kit.

But what else do you expect from Ford

Hopefully someone from Ford looks at this site and has some sympathy on their core customers

So are they now using the 2010 clutch/flywheel kit for these replacements?

I noticed it mentioned 2010 in many places when refering to parts?

I'd say its safe to say Ford hasnt a clue on how to treat their customers.

Simple as this, replace all damaged units that are still under warranty with the new and working 2010 clutch kit.

But what else do you expect from Ford

Hopefully someone from Ford looks at this site and has some sympathy on their core customers

The reason Ford is not going to replace all the clutches and trannies is because the vast majority of them make it well beyond warranty period without failure. Why should they replace a perfeclty working clutch and transmission?

We are all sorry your dealer messed up yours but really, that is NOT Ford's fault. They paid to have a replacement installed for you. Your dealer needs to fix the shoddy install if its not right. The parts Ford supplies DO work when installed correctly.

I do feel for those having trouble getting the TSB done when needed but many have asked for it and even gotten it when nothing was broken.

The 07 clutch was not an untested and unproven item when it went to production. In most cases it holds up fine.

As grabber said, when the clutch fails after warranty, go aftermarket. Its a wear item.

So no one really cares what this PCM recalibration is?

I talked to a Toyota tech, buddy of mine, and he thinks the only thing possible to alter would be hp/tq and something to the effect of what Nissan did with the GTR.

Lets get beyond my particular scenario for a second although there are many out there with post TSB stuff and still issues but why isint anyone concerned that Ford keeps revising a very old TSB?

So does this mean that if you had your tsb done after the 1st revision, you should go back and have it redone? It does not appear that way but this seems to screw majority of the 07 owners that have already had the TSB completed long ago, not to mention Ford is releasing this when most 07 owners are out of warranty anyway.

IF I HAD A GUARENTEE THAT MY TRANNY IS PERFECTLY FINE, I WOULD HAVE NO ISSUES PUTTING IN AN AFTERMARKET CLUTCH BUT FORD WILL NOT WARRANTY THE DRIVETRAIN WITH AN AFTERMARKET CLUTCH AND THE AFTERMARKET WILL NOT WARANTY THEIR OWN CLUTCH.

So you see this puts people like myself with bad luck with quite a decision...risk losing another $2k for an aftermarket clutch or just dump the car and buy something else.

It just is really pathetic that there will always be an * next the greatness of the 07-09 GT500.

A great drivetrain on some cars but shit to others, that is not what you would expect from your halo car

IMO

I am but only if the dealer will go to bat for me and give me a good price, which you know how that goes.

I have been optimistic about that, but I will know soon, as they just received their first allocation and I am going in this Sat to talk numbers.

I love my 2007 so much but it has been nothing but headaches since day one, right from when Ford delivered it to the wrong dealer 8 hours away

I'd be tempted with that AMG if I were you too. It's a SWEET ride. Hang in there..

If your still under warranty...let ford fix it.

When the warranty runs out...go aftermarket.

Mines running fine, but I'm going to ask my Mech about the PCM change.

Wow. I JUST got the Clutch and Flywheel portion of the 09-19-11 TSB done! Receipt even references that specific TSB. :shrug:

So any thoughts on if I mssed out on something that would now be done under the new TSB or no-problemo Rob? :headscratch:

Wow. I JUST got the Clutch and Flywheel portion of the 09-19-11 TSB done! Receipt even references that specific TSB. shrug.gif

So any thoughts on if I mssed out on something that would now be done under the new TSB or no-problemo Rob? headscratch.gif

All you missed is the CSC and the PCM update / re calibration.

Here is what the CSC looks like.

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts117.jpg

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts106.jpg

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts107.jpg

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts108.jpg

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts109.jpg

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts046.jpg

Clutch-TrannyReplacementparts016.jpg