TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4th Revision - The new revised Clutch TSB 10-3-8

Grabber

About to hit the dealer with my '09. Purchased from new Feb 2009. 13,000 very gentle miles on it and it's beginning to show clutch slip.

Best illustrated in 3rd or 4th at around 40 then hit the gas, spool up the supercharger to hit the power band and......engine revs out, no wheelspin, mysterious mechanical noises....all sounds like the dread clutch issue.

Will illustrate to my local dealer where I bought the car, try to confirm the diagnosis then talk warranty. Definitely NOT interested in a $5000 repair bill.

I recognise I am out of the 12/12 - but there are enough posts here in a similar situation where the dealer has come through and applied the TSB under warranty.

Will keep y'all posted.

Be sure to come from the angle that it is a warped flywheel that lead to clutch failure.

About to hit the dealer with my '09. Purchased from new Feb 2009. 13,000 very gentle miles on it and it's beginning to show clutch slip.

Best illustrated in 3rd or 4th at around 40 then hit the gas, spool up the supercharger to hit the power band and......engine revs out, no wheelspin, mysterious mechanical noises....all sounds like the dread clutch issue.

Will illustrate to my local dealer where I bought the car, try to confirm the diagnosis then talk warranty. Definitely NOT interested in a $5000 repair bill.

I recognise I am out of the 12/12 - but there are enough posts here in a similar situation where the dealer has come through and applied the TSB under warranty.

Will keep y'all posted.

If your local Dealer gives you any static at all then I would suggest find another Large Dealer that has done many of

these under Warranty and should be no problem as yours is still under the 3yr Base Warranty...................

Edited by DDT

Had my Ford Dealer Service Rep sitting in the passenger seat. Got into 3rd gear, 3500rpm then floored it and immediately went into clutch slip. Demostrated the issue nicely.

My take to him was that I needed first a confirmed diagnosis - which he gave me - then a commitment from them that this would be a warranty repair per the various TSBs.

I am simply not willing to leave the car with them for any 'exploratory' examination then have them try to hit me with the bill....or part of the bill.

Neither do I want to try another dealer if I don't get satisfaction from them. Would be all too easy for them to play nasty and hope that I try elsewhere....wouldn't be their problem any more right?

There is simply too much web traffic on this forum and other GT500 forums about this 07-09 clutch issue for me to roll over on this one.

Whilst I enjoy the performance of the car (don't we all?) I am also passionate about the vehicle and treat it right in every respect.

13,000 miles before the clutch wears out is simply nonsense - "performance" system or not. My vehicle build date was 12/08/2008.

I have driven many manual transmissions over several decades and am not a newby to a stick shift by any means - so I may get hostile if accused of any misuse or stop/go traffic treatment.

Waiting to hear back from them an agreed plan of action. One day gone and no response yet.

For any South Texas members - the dealer is Champion Ford in Katy, west of Houston.

Watch this space for update when I hear more.

13,000 miles before the clutch wears out is simply nonsense - "performance" system or not. My vehicle build date was 12/08/2008.

You have the good flywheel build date too !!!

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35706-2009-gt500-the-exact-date-the-new-flywheel-started-going-in/page__view__findpost__p__559998

Odd that your car is acting up.

Monday Jan 31st - just heard from my service rep at the dealer that they will "put this right" under warranty. Not much push-back at all which was a pleasant surprise as I was preparing for a fight. Plus they will supply a rental car for the duration of the repair work. This should take 4 or 5 days.

Car may go in tomorrow - depending on when they can schedule their "Shelby guy" to do the work.

I'm hoping I can talk to him when I drop the car off to confirm exactly what parts will go in as replacement.

Will keep you posted on progress and outcome. So far so good......

Edited by Texastinlegs

Am I correct in my understanding that this is/was affecting only those between 07-09? From my cursory following of this topic over the last few months, this was my understanding; however, I then saw someone today in another thread stating that the 2011's were falling under this umbrella of needing clutch-replacement. I have yet to have any problems with my '10, but wanted to stay atop the topic just in case. Thanks.

Yes - it is predominantly the 07-09 production run affected and a sub-optimal flywheel design seems to be at the heart of the matter. The 'fix' is to fit 2010 model year parts - flywheel, slave cylinder & clutch -which tells you something.

If there are 2010 owners with clutch issues I can't say definitively that this is due to an inherent manufacturing weakness. It may be down to other factors. Only time will tell if there is a genuine issue with the newer models and when enough owners experience the same issues. Don't know if there is a critical mass of 2010 clutch issues yet to be sure.

I am sure others will input here with their own experience.

Grabber (sse this thread) is a wealth of knowledge on the topic and many others. Contact him direct if you wish to tap his brain.

Yes - it is predominantly the 07-09 production run affected and a sub-optimal flywheel design seems to be at the heart of the matter. The 'fix' is to fit 2010 model year parts - flywheel, slave cylinder & clutch -which tells you something.

If there are 2010 owners with clutch issues I can't say definitively that this is due to an inherent manufacturing weakness. It may be down to other factors. Only time will tell if there is a genuine issue with the newer models and when enough owners experience the same issues. Don't know if there is a critical mass of 2010 clutch issues yet to be sure.

I am sure others will input here with their own experience.

Grabber (sse this thread) is a wealth of knowledge on the topic and many others. Contact him direct if you wish to tap his brain.

Oh I agree. I just figured I'd throw that clarification question out here for anyone to address as I had never read any other posts by anyone with a '10 or later model having problems until reading one owner in another thread trying to sell his 2011 and stating that he's tired of Ford as "they continue to screw up even the later year models". I simply wanted to ensure that I hadn't missed reading something. It appears I have not. Thanks Texastinlegs; hope y'all are staying warm out there in TX. I'm a Texan living in 'Bama and continue to hear how cold it's getting.

Edited by jcarver

Wednesday 9th Feb and the car goes into the dealer for the clutch remedial work. Will update when I know more.

At least the dealer laid on a rental car while my own is in the shop. Just got to wait now I guess......

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you as it did for me.

At 17k miles, my clutch started to slip on my '08 GT500. Initially, the service mgr was not optimistic that Ford would cover the repair. Then I called the Ford Service Hotline and eventually, Ford authorized the fix. However, Ford would not make that determination unless I allowed the local Ford service dept to perform a diagnostic tear-down on my car. I admit, it made me nervous to trust that the Ford mechanics would make an honest determination, but they did. They took my clutch apart, took pictures, and sent them to Ford HQ where the engineers deterimined that the source of the clutch damage was a deformed flywheel. They authorized the TSB repair-- twice, in fact. The first attempt did not work. Apparently, one of the new parts was defective; so, Ford gave me a free loaner vehicle (an F-150) while they peformed the TSB repair with a complete set of new parts. Now, my GT500 performs great. It is just as reported in the car mags-- the 2010 GT500 clutch system is much lighter and smoother than the 2007-2009 clutch system. And, with a beefier flywheel, it should last longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the car back today - and delighted with the result.The lighter clutch operation is as it always should have been. Not sure what Ford were thinking with the original 07-09 setup now I look back on it. Either way I am back on the road and looking forward to my daily dose of the fun stuff.

Champion Ford at Katy in Texas treated me right throughout the process, even laid on a rental while my car was in the shop. My service rep told me that he personally had handled about 5 07-09 GT500s with the clutch issues, so they were no strangers to the process.

My only concern looking forward is for fellow owners who's cars may only see occasional use. These are the folks who will face a hefty repair bill at some point down the road when their flywheel eventually distorts and the clutch dies prematurely as it seems many 07-09 models are destined to do. Currently it seems Ford and the Dealers are mostly doing the right thing - but if a car is more than a couple of years old when this happens you might understand if the free repairs begin to dry up. Fortunately this is easy to avoid - get on the road and drive it!

And a big thanks to everyone who posted in this forum and helped to inform, educate and encourage me through the trauma.

• 4 weeks later...

I read all 13 pages of the thread last night. And I want to thank grabber for his support in this issue. My car has an 8/26/2008 build date. And have 18k on the car. So far, knock on wood, everything is great. Will confirm for sure when the car gets the next oil change.

:salute:

I read all 13 pages of the thread last night. And I want to thank grabber for his support in this issue. My car has an 8/26/2008 build date. And have 18k on the car. So far, knock on wood, everything is great. Will confirm for sure when the car gets the next oil change.

:salute:

As you know...you have a good build date !!

• 3 months later...

ive got a "bad" build date by about a month. damn the luck right?

with 25k miles shes starting to slip. called a bussy of mine at a local shop, he had the service manager call me back. guy sounds great. said they have had several tsb's done. no problems no worries. said they are to the point to where even if its just an abused car they are fixing it. so as soon as i can get outta this hopsital room ill be taking the car out to his dealership. hopefully get a new clutch flywheel and slave cly. installed. ill keep you up. but for anyone in the OKC area joe cooper ford yukon seems like the place to take them. but ill have an update on that soon enough i guess

with 25k miles shes starting to slip. called a bussy of mine at a local shop, he had the service manager call me back. guy sounds great. said they have had several tsb's done. no problems no worries. said they are to the point to where even if its just an abused car they are fixing it. so as soon as i can get outta this hopsital room ill be taking the car out to his dealership. hopefully get a new clutch flywheel and slave cly. installed. ill keep you up. but for anyone in the OKC area joe cooper ford yukon seems like the place to take them. but ill have an update on that soon enough i guess

vandy09,

You (and your GT500) get better now! There's still a lot of summer and early fall to enjoy your Shelby.

Vandy09 -

The clutch replacement work will totally transform the car and is most definitely well worth pursuing.

Had the work done on my '09 and was wholly impressed with the change.

Good luck with the repair - looking forward to hearing your opinions once you get it out on the road again.

And best wishes for a speedy exit from the hospital.

Texastinlegs

slipping clutch issue here also

I have the metco pulley jlt cold air and stang hi dyno tune. thought maybe I was breaking the tires loose in forth gear at first while passing another vehicle but was able to duplicate the issue too easily.

21000 miles of grocery getting and some spirited runs though the original back tires are still showing plenty of life left.

Have an appointment for Monday with Hub City Ford in Lafayette LA.

Will see what he says before I return the thing to stock for a pcm reflash...

Obama's plans for the Gulf of Mexico Drilling has pretty much wiped out my industry so cash for the frivolous is nil.

I will go in armed with the latest tsb's and info. Thanks Grabber. Rather than return the pulley to stock I may see if I can find a 3" metco for sale and just swap it out.

Any additional input would be appreciated.

Edited by rsfdiver

A friend of mine gave me a copy of the 4th revised Clutch Drag TSB 10-3-8.

This one supersedes TSB 09-19-11 and it removes the production fix date and it updates the service procedure and parts list.

Looks like cars built after 9/1/08 can now get the repair done as well.

The added the replacement of the CSC (Clutch Slave Cylinder) to the parts list too.

They are now saying that the PCM must be reprogrammed after the new clutch is installed with the latest calibration.

The PDF file is too big to load and I do not have a scanner so these photos of the TSB will have to do.

Is there a link I can download this from?

Edited by rsfdiver

left the hospital today. wasnt there for me. but i stayed for about 7 days. wife and i had our first kid this past weekend. healthy little boy named Ford Lawson. now that hes all good. mamas gettin better and now we need to get the shelby back feelin better. im sure lil man wants to go for a ride. we was eye ballin her walking thru the garage.

on a side note a buddy of mine did get me a onesie (sp?) for the kid with a pic of my car on it. probobly the coolest thing ive seen in a long time

but ill keep yall up on what happens and how she feels when i get her back, as of now im taking her in to be cut on monday morning

well i dropped her off today. i felt like i was dropping my kid off for the first day of school. guy asked when i wanted it back. said it would be a couple days. he never even did a test drive. just pull her in a stall and said it wouldnt move until i came back for it. maybe a perk to being a good friend of a sales manager there, idk. time will tell

well good news followed up with bad. woke up to a call this morning saying the clutch/flywheel was a special order part so it would be in the morning before they got it and the afternoon i should have my car back. well about 30 min ago i got a V-mail saying this guys "team lead" says its not covered. that the TSB is for the trans and my trans is great. so im trying to get in touch with him. find out whats going on. if they wont tsb warranty it then its coming home and gettin an upgrade. either way im gonna be HOT if its not covered. if they put fauly material in the car they should have just done a recall and quit with all this tsb bull shit

They are barking up the wrong tree if they are quoting you the TSB for the transmission only. If your clutch has failed prematurely and your build date is one of the affected, then the source of your issue is the FLYWHEEL. That component was not up to the task and has most likely warped creating your clutch slip. Refer them to the TSB 10-3-8 - you will find Grabber has posted a copy here:-

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53664-4th-revision-the-new-revised-clutch-tsb-10-3-8/

Thats what they need to be focussing on and thats what should be fixed for you as it has been fixed for many others.

Short of a full product recall, Ford knows that those original flywheels are faulty and for the most part they seem to have stood by a full upgrade under warranty.

The clutch and slave mechanism are part of the fix for sure, but it is the flywheel that is at the heart of it - and that should be covered as a warranty fix.

Good to know perhaps that the gearbox checks out OK - but worth printing out the TSB 10-3-8 and firing that at the garage to get them refocussed.

Good luck...and congrats on the new family member

Time will tell. The guy who was declining it was suppose to have called me but I never heard anything. Basically the guy I was dealing with said the tsb was a trans issue. I kept asking him what the root problem was, not the problem that resulted but the root. As soon as he realized what I was getting at he said his boss. Would call me.

Plain and simple fact is a sub par part was installed on a high HP car. They should and hopefully will replace the defective part and all resulting damage.

Time will tell. The guy who was declining it was suppose to have called me but I never heard anything. Basically the guy I was dealing with said the tsb was a trans issue. I kept asking him what the root problem was, not the problem that resulted but the root. As soon as he realized what I was getting at he said his boss. Would call me.

Plain and simple fact is a sub par part was installed on a high HP car. They should and hopefully will replace the defective part and all resulting damage.

The guy does not know what he is talking about. Plain and simple.

They are jerking you around.