TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4th Revision - The new revised Clutch TSB 10-3-8

Grabber

Mine is going in for the TSB, the parts are already ordered. My trans passed, so no need for that to be repaired, but I am so excited for the 2010 clutch setup. Now for the big question. Should I have the dealer put in the DOT4 sync fluid instead of the Dot 3 organic? I had several issues with my corvette C6 clutch and it was all because the clutch fluid would boil under hard usage and the clutch would fail. The fix was to use dot 4 sync. The higher temp of the dot 4 stuff prevented it from boiling ever again and the car worked perfect.

The PCM must be reprogrammed after the clutch is replaced. Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 65.07 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2010.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

Just got a call from the dealer and was told they have to put the new revised tune in. I removed the aftermarket tune from the car before talking it in. What will this affect if any? I told them I have an aftermarket CAI and they say it should not matter. What are your thoughts?

Edited by wickedstangs

Just got a call from the dealer and was told they have to put the new revised tune in. I removed the aftermarket tune from the car before talking it in. What will this affect if any? I told them I have an aftermarket CAI and they say it should not matter. What are your thoughts?

You have not read this entire thread. You need to go back and read post #41. I had one of our good venders that is a tuner look into this revised tune and comment on it. Justin Starkey with VMP is his name.

Here's the link to post #41 in this thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/53664-4th-revision-the-new-revised-clutch-tsb-10-3-8/page__view__findpost__p__914160

Just got mine back. My car is tuned and I told my tech not to do the PCM update. He didnt mind. I might go back though with my handheld tuner. Have it put back to stock in the bay, then have him do the update. Then retune it with the custom file. It sounds like over kill though because it doesnt seem like the update will stay. Wont the tuner over write it anyway?

Edited by ZXMustang

Just got mine back. My car is tuned and I told my tech not to do the PCM update. He didnt mind. I might go back though with my handheld tuner. Have it put back to stock in the bay, then have him do the update. Then retune it with the custom file. It sounds like over kill though because it doesnt seem like the update will stay. Wont the tuner over write it anyway?

Put your Cold air intake back on and flash your tuners tune back in. You will be fine and yes it will over write the other tune.

Was at the dealer this week.

Was told drive train warranty is 5 yrs or 60,000 miles. Bumper to bumper is 3 yrs or 36,000 miles.

Here's the biggie, the clutch is only covered for 1 year due to different driving habits that people have. The tech I was talking to said they have had people come back in for clutch replacement under warranty where they have completely beaten the piss out of the car. Yes, he was talking about GT 500's sadly.

Said they even had one woman driving while riding the clutch pedal, partially released. Burned the clutch after 3000 miles and insisted on a new one.

They learned this when she drove the tech on a test drive.

Not sure what the other dealers are doing, but this particular dealer does all of the warranty for Shelby.

HEY GUYS,

AS FAR AS THE CLUTCH GOES ; IT IS WARRANTY FOR 12 MONTHS OR 12,000 MILES ; OR

WHATEVER COMES 1ST. THE TRANS. IS 5YRS/60,000 AND THE REST OF THE CAR IS

3YRS OR 36,000 MILES BUMPER TO BUMPER.

I WAS A SERVICE MANAGER FOR A COUPLE FORD DEALERSHIPS BEFORE I WAS HIRED BY FORD

CORPORATE.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CLUTCHES. MY 2008 GT500 1ST MADE IT TO 2,200 MILES AND 8 RUNS DOWN THE

QUARTER MILE BEFORE MINE DIED. THEN I HAD THE FLYWHEEL , CLUTCH TSB DONE AND SINCE THEN

I NOW HAVE 9300 MILES AND 5 QUARTER MILE RUNS WITH 674 RWHP OR ABOUT 815 H.P AT THE CRANK.

WITHOUT A HITCH. :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

SCOTTY

Edited by COBRA SCOTTY

My car started losing power to the wheels yesterday when i'd hit the gas. Is this a sign my clutch is toast? engine revs fine but over about 3000 rpm, there is loss of power to the wheels and the engines revs easy as if the clutch was not engaged at all.

Edited by acarli3

My car started losing power to the wheels yesterday when i'd hit the gas. Is this a sign my clutch is toast? engine revs fine but over about 3000 rpm, there is loss of power to the wheels and the engines revs easy as if the clutch was not engaged at all.

Yes it sounds like your clutch is toast.

It's at the dealership now. Wish me luck. Service Mananger didn't make me feel to good about it being covered under warranty or covered under the TSB. He just gave me the "it's a wear item" line and said he'd call me within 24 hours with their diagnosis and the estimate. The next guy in line was also there with his GT500 with the same clutch issue. Go figure.

I'm having the same issues with my '09 GT500 (losing power when I hit the gas, severe shaking in 1st and Reverse, hissing when clutch depressed, etc). I took my car to the local Ford dealership this morning (before I read these posts). The dealership called and tried to tell me it was "wear and tear" on the pressure plate - but that was just from the tech driving it around the lot! They didn't even really look at it. So I mentioned this latest TSB and, of course, they didn't anything about it. Now, after bringing them the TSB, I have to wait until Monday when their service manager is back in town to approve the work under the TSB. I've got just over 25K miles. Between the TSB and extended warranty I purchased when I got the car, I'm going to be PISSED if they try to make me pay for it.

I'm having the same issues with my '09 GT500 (losing power when I hit the gas, severe shaking in 1st and Reverse, hissing when clutch depressed, etc). I took my car to the local Ford dealership this morning (before I read these posts). The dealership called and tried to tell me it was "wear and tear" on the pressure plate - but that was just from the tech driving it around the lot! They didn't even really look at it. So I mentioned this latest TSB and, of course, they didn't anything about it. Now, after bringing them the TSB, I have to wait until Monday when their service manager is back in town to approve the work under the TSB. I've got just over 25K miles. Between the TSB and extended warranty I purchased when I got the car, I'm going to be PISSED if they try to make me pay for it.

Make sure you school yourself up on the issued stated in the thread attached. That way you can be armed with the power of knowlage so they don't take advantage of you:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36724-what-to-tell-the-dealer-about-your-clutch-problem/

Dealership called me yesterday and confirmed it was the clutch, but asked me to come and pick it up since parts are 30 days out and they didnt want to store it. So the car is in my garage. They are still uncommital on the warranty until they can tear into the car when the parts do come in to inspect for the damage based on me or the TSB. I'll update next month.

Dealership called me yesterday and confirmed it was the clutch, but asked me to come and pick it up since parts are 30 days out and they didnt want to store it. So the car is in my garage. They are still uncommital on the warranty until they can tear into the car when the parts do come in to inspect for the damage based on me or the TSB. I'll update next month.

acarli3... I truly do wish you luck, my friend! I hope they don't try to bag out on ya!

BIKEBOY

UPDATE: So, I took my '09 GT500 (26K miles) in to the local Ford dealership this week (Monday) because I was experiencing clutch drag, lack of acceleration, difficulty engaging in 1st and reverse, etc. After the tech (the Senior Master tech) "drove" the car and took apart the clutch, they tell me it's normal wear and tear (worn friction material), didn't qualify for the TSB, and wouldn't be covered by warranty or the TSB. I talked to the Service Manager, who echoed the tech. I explained that this is my 5th manual transmission vehicle (4 of which have been Mustangs) and that I've never had a clutch issue with any other vehicle. So, they contacted the Ford Tech Service Hotline for guidance and, long story short, were told to honor the TSB and execute. I picked up my car this afternoon and WOW, what a difference! It's like driving a brand new car! They even printed me a copy of the email traffic between them and the Hotline. In an effort to assist everyone else who might have to fight with their service department, below is what the Hotline told the service department:

"Tech's question:

per service manager, want to ask if any other vehicle in which this bulletin applies has been noted with excess friction material wear or any other abnormal clutch wear?

Hotline response:

There have been reports of worn clutch discs being caused by excessive clutch drag which the bulletin is made to resolve. Suggest performing the TSB at this point to resolve the concern. Replace all the clutch related components as per the message and re-evaluate."

Once I'm able to scan the actual print-out onto my computer, I will post the full email traffic. If anyone wants a copy, feel free to contact me via email: back2back00@yahoo.com

Edited by Losch09Shelby

UPDATE: So, I took my '09 GT500 (26K miles) in to the local Ford dealership this week (Monday) because I was experiencing clutch drag, lack of acceleration, difficulty engaging in 1st and reverse, etc. After the tech (the Senior Master tech) "drove" the car and took apart the clutch, they tell me it's normal wear and tear (worn friction material), didn't qualify for the TSB, and wouldn't be covered by warranty or the TSB. I talked to the Service Manager, who echoed the tech. I explained that this is my 5th manual transmission vehicle (4 of which have been Mustangs) and that I've never had a clutch issue with any other vehicle. So, they contacted the Ford Tech Service Hotline for guidance and, long story short, were told to honor the TSB and execute. I picked up my car this afternoon and WOW, what a difference! It's like driving a brand new car! They even printed me a copy of the email traffic between them and the Hotline. In an effort to assist everyone else who might have to fight with their service department, below is what the Hotline told the service department:

"Tech's question:

per service manager, want to ask if any other vehicle in which this bulletin applies has been noted with excess friction material wear or any other abnormal clutch wear?

Hotline response:

There have been reports of worn clutch discs being caused by excessive clutch drag which the bulletin is made to resolve. Suggest performing the TSB at this point to resolve the concern. Replace all the clutch related components as per the message and re-evaluate."

Once I'm able to scan the actual print-out onto my computer, I will post the full email traffic. If anyone wants a copy, feel free to contact me via email: back2back00@yahoo.com

Very cool that you were taken care of !!!:salute:

Good deal Losch.

I got my 07 back Tuesday after having the TSB done. The first 2 years I had the car were great. No issues, no chatter (unless I screwed up), no dragging etc.

This spring I noticed a change. It was harder to get into gear. Got the "grind" a few times shifting. Overall the clutch was different than it was before.

Before my 3yr warranty expired this fall, I finally took it in. Tech took it for a test drive and said it wasn't normal and ordered the TSB material.

It took over a month to get all the parts in, but now that it's done I'm very happy. Love the feel of the new clutch, but kind of miss the uniqueness of the 07-09 version.

• 2 weeks later...

Ford denied my warranty claim...they wouldn't even consider coming to look at it in person. Seems to be a big hit or miss. Despite giving them the TSB and trying to disuss the issue, they would only state that clutches are not covered under warranty and are wear items. Flywheel was warped and clutch pads were worn.

• 2 weeks later...

If your still under warranty...let ford fix it.

When the warranty runs out...go aftermarket.

Mines running fine, but I'm going to ask my Mech about the PCM change.

Grabber, thanks for posting the latest TSB update. Mine was at the dealership getting the repairs performed when I read your post. I called the shop manager and he said they would not perform the PCM programming since I had a custom tune.

I have question, had my KR done at 2200 miles about 60-90 days ago and when I got the car back it drove great and the clutch feels lighter. One issue I am seeing or hearing more so is when the car is in N I here noise or chatter and once I engage the clutch it goes away? I talked to another guy who had his Shelby done at same dealer and has same issue? Is this normal or is something wrong?

I have question, had my KR done at 2200 miles about 60-90 days ago and when I got the car back it drove great and the clutch feels lighter. One issue I am seeing or hearing more so is when the car is in N I here noise or chatter and once I engage the clutch it goes away? I talked to another guy who had his Shelby done at same dealer and has same issue? Is this normal or is something wrong?

Gear roll over noise is normal per what ford has told us. Some cars seem to have it more than others.

20442 2007-2009 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH CHATTER

SOME 2007 - 2009 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "CLUTCH CHATTER" DURING INITIAL TAKE-OFF OF THE VEHICLE WHEN THE TRANSMISSION IS HOT. THE CLUTCH CHATTER MAY BE PRESENT IN 1ST AND/OR REVERSE GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CERAMETALIC CLUTCH LINING. THE CLUTCH CHATTER HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 09/15/2008

SOME 2007 - 2009 SHELBY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A "GEAR RATTLE" NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR UNDER LIGHT ACCELERATION. THE NOISE IS ONLY PRESENT IN 1ST AND 2ND GEAR AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CONTACT PATTERN OF THESE GEARS. THE GEAR RATTLE NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 09/15/2008

I can say that the 2010 clutch parts installed in my 08 GT500 back in July

eliminated all noises including the so called "Gear Rollover" in neutral idle.........

I believe it may be due to the higher idle with the Reflash of the PCM?????