TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4th Revision - The new revised Clutch TSB 10-3-8

Grabber

2010 Clutch is a Yes for the latest TSB.

Grabber, is this true? I have a hard time believing this. Does the new TSB list 2010 parts for replacement?

The TSB says to use the 2010 Work Service Manual and that manual uses 2010 parts. I have read thru the manual and looked at the part numbers and verified that yes...this TSB uses the 2010 Clutch!!!

TSB 10-3-8

Clutch Replacement

1. Remove the transmission per 2010 Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03C.
  2. Remove and replace flywheel per 2010 WSM, Section 303-01C. Discard old bolts and use new bolts.
  3. Install new pilot bearing per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01.
  4. Install new clutch disc and plate assembly per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01. Using new bolts.
  5. Apply a small amount of Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant to the clutch hub splines per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01.
  6. Install new clutch slave cylinder and hydraulic line per 2010 WSM, Section 308-02.
  7. Install the transmission per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
  8. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Reprogramming.

ame='m81mclaren' date='22 March 2010 - 10:51 PM' timestamp='1269323498' post='932676']

The TSB says to use the 2010 Work Service Manual and that manual uses 2010 parts. I have read thru the manual and looked at the part numbers and verified that yes...this TSB uses the 2010 Clutch!!!

TSB 10-3-8

Clutch Replacement

1. Remove the transmission per 2010 Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03C.
  2. Remove and replace flywheel per 2010 WSM, Section 303-01C. Discard old bolts and use new bolts.
  3. Install new pilot bearing per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01.
  4. Install new clutch disc and plate assembly per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01. Using new bolts.
  5. Apply a small amount of Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant to the clutch hub splines per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01.
  6. Install new clutch slave cylinder and hydraulic line per 2010 WSM, Section 308-02.
  7. Install the transmission per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
  8. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Reprogramming.

Rob I believe this is good news for those that have recurring symptoms and beyond normal chatter. Cheers to you for documenting this and to others for testing the waters out of pocket for 2010 parts and validating with Ford. Cheers to Ford for making attempt #4 to cure the problem and I hope they honor their part and approve the repair for those that need it. My best to all who fall into this category and hope that the move to 2010 parts is a permanent solution to get the drivability back where it should be to enjoy our cars fully.

M81

Rob I believe this is good news for those that have recurring symptoms and beyond normal chatter. Cheers to you for documenting this and to others for testing the waters out of pocket for 2010 parts and validating with Ford. Cheers to Ford for making attempt #4 to cure the problem and I hope they honor their part and approve the repair for those that need it. My best to all who fall into this category and hope that the move to 2010 parts is a permanent solution to get the drivability back where it should be to enjoy our cars fully.

M81

Cheers to Ford, but they wouldnt fix my car. Better luck to everyone else. I hope the guy that made the clutch/flywheel in the 07-09 clutch was fired and shot in the head.

I guess not getting into or out of 1st gear is normal.

Im having the same issues now even with the Spec clutch so obviously my tranny is toast. Ford should replace my tranny under the power train warranty.

:banghead:

I hope the guy that made the clutch/flywheel in the 07-09 clutch was fired and shot in the head.

:banghead:

Hey........Shoot him in the head first and they won't need to fire him...........

A more simple solution?????????? :hysterical:

Is tehre any saying about mods in this tsb like the other one had? And whats too much?

It talks about normal operation of the clutch'

This procedure does not apply to or correct the normal characteristics of the twin-disc cera-metallic clutch used in the Shelby GT500 vehicle or normal wear. The twin disc cera-metallic clutch incorporates racing technology to combine a low inertia assembly with a very durable friction material with high torque capability. Depending on your driving technique, the smoothness of how the clutch reacts to clutch engagements may be different from other vehicles that use a single disc clutch system. Also refer to pages 8 and 9 of the GT500 Owner Guide Supplement for additional information.

Normal Operating Characteristics Of The Twin Disc Cera-metallic Clutch

Clutch chatter/shudder when engaging the clutch.

Narrow or abrupt engagement point.

Hiss upon clutch engagement or disengagement.

Transmission gear rollover noise at idle.

Gear rattle noise at very low speeds when in 1st or 2nd gear.

Normal wear.

As far as mods it says nothing specific but if they think a mod caused the issue good luck!

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part

Wouldnt they have to prove it was caused by a mod? I never touched the drive line so i cant see how it would be anthing i did. Mines doin the same hting cobra joes did. 19 K just over 2 years owned. Slipping when i accelerat4e hard.

Sorry to say but there opinion is usually what counts. If they feel a mod in any way caused the problem, then that is it. Sometimes the squeeky wheel does get oiled!

Well hopefully tre fact i know the service manager well and i used to work there will help. Im sure ill get it done.

It seems that's the only way to get this done. You have to know someone. Otherwise, you're sh*t out of luck. The fact that you paid 50k+ for the car means nothing.

It seems that's the only way to get this done. You have to know someone. Otherwise, you're sh*t out of luck. The fact that you paid 50k+ for the car means nothing.

Hey.........Yes it does..........It means we love the car more than the 50k+............ :happy feet:

bingo

tasca wont even admit or reply to any of the several botched tsb jobs they did

matter of fact, havent seen any posts by them lately

Edited by chuckstang

OK

I've been hearing all kinds of things about this clutch/transmission issue.

Bottom line is, I noticed issues as soon as I purchased my used Shelby 2008 with 1873 miles, two months ago.

Shaking when I let the clutch out in first, not much control with the clutch as far as being able to control the car with it, there was very little control here.

I had taken the care in about a month ago, they pretty much gave me the performance story, that it was normal, etc.

So I said OK, plus I was hearing the same stuff here. So I'm thinking maybe I'm being a little too critical with this issue..

So last weekend I started getting the car shaking when I let out the clutch, that was it for me, a car that costs almost 50K should be able to shift gears without a bunch of crap going on in the process.

I took it back in on Monday, this week, told the guy my story, and said if you tell me this is normal, your gonna get me two Shelbys to test drive, and if they do it, we're calling Ford to tell them they screwed up this time. All the Shelbys have a tranny problem.

Guess what? I got a call about 3:00 pm and they told me that the car has a problem, and they have ordered the parts etc. I told them great.

The parts got in on Wed, I just picked up the car 1 hour ago, thats 6:00 pm 8 Apr 2010.

All I can say is YA BABY!!!!!!!!

The clutch is smooth, its not hard to push in, I have total control when letting the clutch out, I can actually control the action between the engine and the drive train!!

And guess what, no shaking!!

If you think your car has a problem, take it in, and have them look at it, if they give you the party line, take it in again, but get it fixed, you won't believe the difference.

Good luck to all you folks with the same problem, believe me you want this problem fixed if your have the problem, you won't believe the difference.

Bottom line is you're the one that owns the car, and you're the one who drives it, don't make a decision by committee, go with your gut on this one, I did, and am I glad I did.

Oh, one more point, the only reason I took in back to the dealer was I was scheduled for a CAI and tune on Wednesday, and I was afraid that this would cloud the issue, so I made the sacrafice, and took it back to the dealer. I hate having anything done to my car, for obvious reasons, but in this case, I had no choice.

One more thing, they are installing 2010 parts to fix the issue.

OK

I've been hearing all kinds of things about this clutch/transmission issue.

Bottom line is, I noticed issues as soon as I purchased my used Shelby 2008 with 1873 miles, two months ago.

Shaking when I let the clutch out in first, not much control with the clutch as far as being able to control the car with it, there was very little control here.

I had taken the care in about a month ago, they pretty much gave me the performance story, that it was normal, etc.

So I said OK, plus I was hearing the same stuff here. So I'm thinking maybe I'm being a little too critical with this issue..

So last weekend I started getting the car shaking when I let out the clutch, that was it for me, a car that costs almost 50K should be able to shift gears without a bunch of crap going on in the process.

I took it back in on Monday, this week, told the guy my story, and said if you tell me this is normal, your gonna get me two Shelbys to test drive, and if they do it, we're calling Ford to tell them they screwed up this time. All the Shelbys have a tranny problem.

Guess what? I got a call about 3:00 pm and they told me that the car has a problem, and they have ordered the parts etc. I told them great.

The parts got in on Wed, I just picked up the car 1 hour ago, thats 6:00 pm 8 Apr 2010.

All I can say is YA BABY!!!!!!!!

The clutch is smooth, its not hard to push in, I have total control when letting the clutch out, I can actually control the action between the engine and the drive train!!

And guess what, no shaking!!

If you think your car has a problem, take it in, and have them look at it, if they give you the party line, take it in again, but get it fixed, you won't believe the difference.

Good luck to all you folks with the same problem, believe me you want this problem fixed if your have the problem, you won't believe the difference.

Bottom line is you're the one that owns the car, and you're the one who drives it, don't make a decision by committee, go with your gut on this one, I did, and am I glad I did.

Oh, one more point, the only reason I took in back to the dealer was I was scheduled for a CAI and tune on Wednesday, and I was afraid that this would cloud the issue, so I made the sacrafice, and took it back to the dealer. I hate having anything done to my car, for obvious reasons, but in this case, I had no choice.

One more thing, they are installing 2010 parts to fix the issue.

Awsome story. Unfortunately, Ford won't do this for all. I went aftermarket and it fixed my problems of getting locked in and out of gear, but still does as you mention and really makes the car not driver friendly.

I love this car but as you saw it really spoils the whole experience. But my dealer agreed to order me a 2011 with nothing down, so when it comes in, I'l decided if I want to buy it or pass on it, I'm excited, a win win!

The 2007-09 is the best looking and I think will be timless in design over the years. I really happy you got yours going right. The 2010 clutch is the shit.

Funny story, when I took my car to the dealership to get an idea on trade, the sales manager asked for my keys for a quick trip around the building, he came back a minute later and said, forget it, I can't drive that car, but I see you in here all the time and I know you just replaced your clutch, so I'll just assume all is fine, no test drive needed. HAHHAHAAH The Spec is not driver friendly at all but awsome for WOT shifts :D

My GT500 was built on 10/8/2008 which means I have the updated clutch and flywheel. But I too have a shudder when I let out the clutch in first gear. It always happens when I pull out of my garage and head uphill to the street or when I am not concentrating on what i'm doing. Second and third gear sometimes clunk into gear under normal shifts. The gear roll over at a traffic light is horrible when I run the AC. I find it hard to believe this is considered normal especially since I only have 13,700 miles on the motor. I do not like the though of taking my car back to the dealer, but I am concerned. My buddy has a 2010 GT500 and he has nothing but praise for his transmission. Am I barking up a dead tree when it comes to the TSB? Does anyone know of a reliable dealer in the San Antonio, tx area who will honor the TSB? Your advise is greatly appreciated.

My GT500 was built on 10/8/2008 which means I have the updated clutch and flywheel. But I too have a shudder when I let out the clutch in first gear. It always happens when I pull out of my garage and head uphill to the street or when I am not concentrating on what i'm doing. Second and third gear sometimes clunk into gear under normal shifts. The gear roll over at a traffic light is horrible when I run the AC. I find it hard to believe this is considered normal especially since I only have 13,700 miles on the motor. I do not like the though of taking my car back to the dealer, but I am concerned. My buddy has a 2010 GT500 and he has nothing but praise for his transmission. Am I barking up a dead tree when it comes to the TSB? Does anyone know of a reliable dealer in the San Antonio, tx area who will honor the TSB? Your advise is greatly appreciated.

I think you have the old nodular iron flywheel.

Double check your date and this thread that I have attached:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35706-2009-gt500-the-exact-date-the-new-flywheel-started-going-in/

Awsome story. Unfortunately, Ford won't do this for all. I went aftermarket and it fixed my problems of getting locked in and out of gear, but still does as you mention and really makes the car not driver friendly.

I love this car but as you saw it really spoils the whole experience. But my dealer agreed to order me a 2011 with nothing down, so when it comes in, I'l decided if I want to buy it or pass on it, I'm excited, a win win!

The 2007-09 is the best looking and I think will be timless in design over the years. I really happy you got yours going right. The 2010 clutch is the shit.

Funny story, when I took my car to the dealership to get an idea on trade, the sales manager asked for my keys for a quick trip around the building, he came back a minute later and said, forget it, I can't drive that car, but I see you in here all the time and I know you just replaced your clutch, so I'll just assume all is fine, no test drive needed. HAHHAHAAH The Spec is not driver friendly at all but awsome for WOT shifts :D

Hopefully by time the new car arrives at the dealer you'll have decided to keep the 07. You could install all the parts with the 2010-2011 stuff and save thousands on buying a new car.

THere are some good service depts out there. I took my car in complaining of the car intermittantly creaping, typically only when cold and having only noticed it when in 1st or reverse so far. The powertrain guy said it sounded like the TSP, ran through tests to make sure the transmission was not effected, then poof, ordered the parts, and did the clutch and flywheel only TCB (3rd rev).

I think I'm finally used to the new clutch.

Huh? I have the exact same setup and the car drives better than stock. It may not be as "nice" as the 2010 setup, but it's leaps ahead of the original design 07-09 design and holds more power.

Hopefully by time the new car arrives at the dealer you'll have decided to keep the 07. You could install all the parts with the 2010-2011 stuff and save thousands on buying a new car.

Unfortunately, I already spent almost $3k to have a new spec installed.

Still having issues, so a new clutch is not the answer.

I'm getting rid of the car, either for the 2011 GT500 when it comes in or I may completely jump ship and buy something else like an S4 or something. My dealer sounds like he will give me a really good deal though so I have my fingers crossed! He changed it to black the other day and I will know tomorrow if the change went through, otherwise Im SOL because its coming in as blue right now, no thanks!

I'm just tired of Ford treating me like I bought a 20k focus.

If you buy a $50k BMW, Audi or Merc, they treat you right, Ford has not for many GT500 owners

Huh? I have the exact same setup and the car drives better than stock. It may not be as "nice" as the 2010 setup, but it's leaps ahead of the original design 07-09 design and holds more power.

That is just the point, I don't doubt what your saying for one second. The spec is a stout piece!

there is just something wrong with my car, either a defective tranny, master cylinder or something. Who knows.

I just cant believe my warranty can not help me.

Sorta forced to just sell it for a loss at this point because I can't keep spending thousands of my own money to keep "trying" to fix it, ya know.

This is why you don't see me bashing Spec clutches, its not the clutch, something else is not right.

My pedal sometimes releases a bit slower than normal right at the top of the travel as well which is something new.

My 2007 Convertible has about 2800 miles, with similar issues. (mostly the shudder in 1st and reverse) I took it up to my local Ford dealership in Bel Air, Md last summer and they didn't notice anything wrong. I explained about the TSB but I am not sure they had any experience with this problem before. Does anyone know of a dealership in the Maryland area that has dealt with the known problems before and may be up to date with the newer 2010 parts to be used? I would be willing to travel a bit to get it done right. I really like the car and want to keep it for a long time.

Perhaps I was lucky that the Ford dealership didn't do the work on the car last year since from what I am reading, they are on the 4th version of the TSB.

That is just the point, I don't doubt what your saying for one second. The spec is a stout piece!

there is just something wrong with my car, either a defective tranny, master cylinder or something. Who knows.

I just cant believe my warranty can not help me.

Sorta forced to just sell it for a loss at this point because I can't keep spending thousands of my own money to keep "trying" to fix it, ya know.

This is why you don't see me bashing Spec clutches, its not the clutch, something else is not right.

My pedal sometimes releases a bit slower than normal right at the top of the travel as well which is something new.

Sounds like getting into a 2011 instead of dumping more $ into a bad situation might be the way to go.

Well . I'm not sure if I need the work done or not . I 'm sure I can get the help from everyone here.

!. Car does have a shudder but I'm getting it under control. ( tho it is hit and miss )

2. It does hiss when out of gear sitting still.

3. This is my major concern it is hard to get into 2 and 3 . 2 you have to go slow and pull hard to get it in gear. it will grind if you do not go easy. 3 is hard also but no grind just have to push harder. now that I think of it 5 is not that easy either.

4. Also when sitting at idle you can hear the a noise like a bad throw out bearing, goes away when the clutch is depressed.

My car is a 2009 built 11/19/2008 has 5000 miles on it.

Well what do you think i know alot of this could be just the nature of the beast but the shifting problems is what i worry about .

Thanks up front for all your help

Well . I'm not sure if I need the work done or not . I 'm sure I can get the help from everyone here.

!. Car does have a shudder but I'm getting it under control. ( tho it is hit and miss )

2. It does hiss when out of gear sitting still.

3. This is my major concern it is hard to get into 2 and 3 . 2 you have to go slow and pull hard to get it in gear. it will grind if you do not go easy. 3 is hard also but no grind just have to push harder. now that I think of it 5 is not that easy either.

4. Also when sitting at idle you can hear the a noise like a bad throw out bearing, goes away when the clutch is depressed.

My car is a 2009 built 11/19/2008 has 5000 miles on it.

Well what do you think i know alot of this could be just the nature of the beast but the shifting problems is what i worry about .

Thanks up front for all your help

Those are all the symptoms of this TSB. You shouldn't have any problem getting a trusted dealership to replace the clutch system. I would suggest you bring a copy of the10-3-8 with you and go directly to the service manager. The replacement 2010 clutch system solves everything you just described; at least it did for me.

Edited by cobra_joe

Well, I just picked up my '08 Vert from the dealer. I had the clutch TSB done along with the KR shifter. First, for those of you that have been thinking of the KR shifter, think no more. In fact stop reading this and go order one! You're still reading, did you order it yet? Great! You won't believe how much shorter the throws are. Second, the clutch is completely different from the old one. I had 28,000 miles on the original one and it was toast. The tech said I had maybe a thousand miles left on it. There's no chatter taking off; but it feels completely different. The pedal is so light now, you can fart and it will go to the floor. It grabs almost right off the floor; but there's a larger friction zone to it now. Those that ride a bike know what I'm talking about. It's not as sudden of an engagement. The question is to the guys/gals that have had it done, is this right? I read on another thread that their TSB resulted in a stiffer pedal. Comments appreciated. Thanks.