TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4th Revision - The new revised Clutch TSB 10-3-8

Grabber

I think I figured out what and why they are having the PCM reprogramed to a newer update.

It has to do with this other TSB that came out 2 weeks before this new clutch TSB.

Any idea why the IDS versions are different in the two TSB's? What is IDS?

Are IDS versions and configuration file versions one in the same? I am assuming they are not and this explains the difference.

Bill

Edited by billf65

FYI, I checked the Motorcraft PCM update codes.

If you have the catch code (white sticker on top of PCM) of "PZP1"; then the new PCM flash won't do anything for you. I checked two mid/late run '09's; both had the PZP1 stickers.

It seems if your car is very early '09 or prior (def. '08) that it will simply update you to the '09 production programming.

IDS Numbers are irrelevant to the end-user consumer and have no bearing to the vehicle at all. That info pertains to Ford's IDS diagnostic software and VCM module; this the the software/hardware that your tech uses to diagnose/fix/program the vehicle. The different IDS numbers are ever-changing as Ford makes new vehicles and revisions to the software. So no worries about that.

Edited by mblgjr

can someone clarify what the warranty period is for this TSB? no one ever answers this question when it is posted. is it 60k/5 yrs or what?

Was at the dealer this week.

Was told drive train warranty is 5 yrs or 60,000 miles. Bumper to bumper is 3 yrs or 36,000 miles.

Here's the biggie, the clutch is only covered for 1 year due to different driving habits that people have. The tech I was talking to said they have had people come back in for clutch replacement under warranty where they have completely beaten the piss out of the car. Yes, he was talking about GT 500's sadly.

Said they even had one woman driving while riding the clutch pedal, partially released. Burned the clutch after 3000 miles and insisted on a new one.

They learned this when she drove the tech on a test drive.

Not sure what the other dealers are doing, but this particular dealer does all of the warranty for Shelby.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I brought my '08 GT500 into the service shop with my TSB 10-3-8 in hand and 25 printed out forum examples of other 07-09 Shelby owners getting their Clutch systems replaced under warranty in respects to this flywheel issue. My clutch is toast, car has 19k miles. I went directly to the service manager told him about my research on the issue, met the assigned advisor (who specializes in transmissions) and took him for a ride in the parking lot; reproduced the issue within seconds. He was interested in forum examples read through them while we were in the car.

I've already spec'd out a quote for a 2011 GT500 with this dealership (before I had this clutch problem). Will have to see how they handle this situation, if they honor this TSB and properly correct the problem they will keep me as a customer.

This morning I brought my '08 GT500 into the service shop with my TSB 10-3-8 in hand and 25 printed out forum examples of other 07-09 Shelby owners getting their Clutch systems replaced under warranty in respects to this flywheel issue. My clutch is toast, car has 19k miles. I went directly to the service manager told him about my research on the issue, met the assigned advisor (who specializes in transmissions) and took him for a ride in the parking lot; reproduced the issue within seconds. He was interested in forum examples read through them while we were in the car.

I've already spec'd out a quote for a 2011 GT500 with this dealership (before I had this clutch problem). Will have to see how they handle this situation, if they honor this TSB and properly correct the problem they will keep me as a customer.

Shop is honoring the replacement, over $3000 worth. I asked about the replacement clutch, flywheel, and those are all 2010 parts.

Shop is honoring the replacement, over $3000 worth. I asked about the replacement clutch, flywheel, and those are all 2010 parts.

Interesting, so your saying/they told you they are going to put the "2010" GT500 clutch system in as a replacement on your 08?

Edited by Red Snake

Could someone let me know if the proper slave cylinder was put in my car the other day when it was replaced with the clutch?

I have 4R3Z-7A508-AA

If it is not, does anyone know how tough it is to change to the new revised one?

Does anyone know what changes were made to warrant the change?

Thank you kindly

Could someone let me know if the proper slave cylinder was put in my car the other day when it was replaced with the clutch?

I have 4R3Z-7A508-AA

If it is not, does anyone know how tough it is to change to the new revised one?

Does anyone know what changes were made to warrant the change?

Thank you kindly

That's the same part number that they put in my car. It is the correct one.

Rob,

How important is it to replace the CSC? The applicable TSB for my 08 did not have that option.

Well...it's either working or not and if it's not, then the tranny has to come back out. The part is dirt cheap compared to pulling the tranny. The part costs about $60 bucks and has 2 bolts and a hydro line connection. It takes 3 minutes to put it on...so Ford is now including it in the TSB.

OK, I thought i had no problems, but i think i might have started experiencing early warning signs... maybe... I read all I could on this subject, not sure if this is it or not.

car in neutral, clutch not depressed - sounds like worn throwout bearing rattle, etc. Push clutch in, sound goes away.

in 2nd gear - sounds like gears aren't meshing correctly. In 1st, 3-6 absolutely quiet.

Sound like this issue?

thanks,

I am cuurently doing a spec clutch install and here is what I have learned. The slave cylinder was added because the TSB is now using the 2010 clutch setup. The clutch and flywheel are also new part numbers and the TSB references the 2010 WSM for install. Do not use this slave cylinder if you're going aftermarket. It is half the length of the 4RZ part number and I can't find a clear answer on how this new slave could work in a 2007-2009 Setup. If anyone has any information that can clarify these changes and what I've determined so far feel free to correct.

Edited by 10random

OK, I thought i had no problems, but i think i might have started experiencing early warning signs... maybe... I read all I could on this subject, not sure if this is it or not.

car in neutral, clutch not depressed - sounds like worn throwout bearing rattle, etc. Push clutch in, sound goes away.

in 2nd gear - sounds like gears aren't meshing correctly. In 1st, 3-6 absolutely quiet.

Sound like this issue?

thanks,

That rattle when you are in neutral I had too, and from all the input I received, is "normal". IE. LOTS of people reported it as something they experienced. However, interestingly enough, after I had the clutch and flywheel version of the TSB, it completely went away. Would not hurt to take it in.

Not sure about the 2nd gear symptom you describe. Is there a grinding, or just a funny sound when shifting into 2nd? Just curious, as would not hurt to take that one in too.

So is it true that the 2010 clutch/flywheel/slave is now being used for this TSB?

complete and utter bullshit to those of us that had it done prior to this if true

2010 Clutch is a Yes for the latest TSB.

Ford finally figured it out :) Either way I'm happy with my Spec and won't miss either clutch.

2010 Clutch is a Yes for the latest TSB.

Grabber, is this true? I have a hard time believing this. Does the new TSB list 2010 parts for replacement?

yes, its true. Just performed TSB last week with 2010 parts. what a difference.

That rattle when you are in neutral I had too, and from all the input I received, is "normal". IE. LOTS of people reported it as something they experienced. However, interestingly enough, after I had the clutch and flywheel version of the TSB, it completely went away. Would not hurt to take it in.

Not sure about the 2nd gear symptom you describe. Is there a grinding, or just a funny sound when shifting into 2nd? Just curious, as would not hurt to take that one in too.

no problems going into 2nd, you just hear "gear noise" when in 2nd. Kind of like improperly installed rear gears. tranny is completely silent in 1,3-6

yeah, i need to go in and see what they say. i don't want to get stuck paying down the road. almost 2 years down, and a little over a year left for problem to show up for free

Interesting, so your saying/they told you they are going to put the "2010" GT500 clutch system in as a replacement on your 08?

Absolutely. I even had them print out all of the part numbers, and according to Ford they matched the 2010 parts. The clutch feel is completely different, and no "hissing" noises either. I've put about 30 miles on the new clutch so far. It's a major improvement.

$3800 worth of parts and labor were covered, took them 4 days.

They said based on the TSB I brought it, they put in the 2010 parts.

Absolutely. I even had them print out all of the part numbers, and according to Ford they matched the 2010 parts. The clutch feel is completely different, and no "hissing" noises either. I've put about 30 miles on the new clutch so far. It's a major improvement.

Why did it take 4 days to change the clutch?

Why did it take 4 days to change the clutch?

Well, I am going to contact my lawyer tomorrow.

Ford royally screwed me for the last time.

I SAID MONTHS AGO that a new TSB would be released where they would replace all clutch components with the 2010 parts and no body believed me. Ford told me this first hand way back then and told me they would get back to me when it was released.

Before I paid $3k for parts and labor on my Spec, I called my dealer and Ford and asked about if the new TSB they spoke of long ago that replaces parts with the 2010 gear is avaialable yet and they said no, the new tsb 10-3-08 was not it and I should keep waiting.

Well, I stopped waiting and put in my own clutch last week as many know. This was way after the new TSB 10-3-08 was released.

I have been betrayed by the company I loved my whole life.

F you ford

:angry22::censored:

I think its time to move on from this BS, Im going to start looking at other cars from now on.