TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4th Revision - The new revised Clutch TSB 10-3-8

Grabber

Your build date has the 3rd TSB parts in it and I'm not sure why your ceramic disc clutch and 5100 series steel flywheel has failed. I have seen this happen to a few people here. Is your car modified with a different Super Charger ? The 4th revision TSB will put the 2010 organic padded duel twin disc big clutch in your car and a totally different flywheel in the car. The replacement of the slave is a precaution and easy to do when the tranny is out.

You are going to like the new set up. I drove my wifes car and it is very easy to drive and operates very nice.

No i didn't change anything on the car,just a tune and cai which was taken off prior to this work.Thanks Grabber,i appreciate it.We will see how it goes,it should be back this week.

Update.Got her back today.Yes i'm going to have to learn how to drive it all over again,i think i can push it in with two fingers.I've heard that it will stiffen up some when it gets broken in.Break in should be around 450 miles(don't want to glaze it)?I just wonder if this new clutch can handle the power of the engine once in awhile.Thanks again,Grabber.

Update.Got her back today.Yes i'm going to have to learn how to drive it all over again,i think i can push it in with two fingers.I've heard that it will stiffen up some when it gets broken in.Break in should be around 450 miles(don't want to glaze it)?I just wonder if this new clutch can handle the power of the engine once in awhile.Thanks again,Grabber.

The clutch is bigger than the one you had and will do fine with a CAI and a Pulley. If you put a bigger SC on then you will have issues at some point.

Grabber,i was going over the list of parts that was installed and compared them with yours.Everything matches EXCEPT i don't see the new pilot bearing listed on my service order.With my luck they forgot to put it in.

It's one of the parts listed on the TSB. They should of ordered the parts right off the TSB.

I have had 2 TSB's done on mine and on the first one they did not replace the pilot bearing and it was fine.

Edited by Grabber

It's one of the parts listed on the TSB. They should of ordered the parts right off the TSB.

I have had 2 TSB's done on mine and on the first one they did not replace the pilot bearing and it was fine.

Yes i noticed it on the tsb.It was F5ZZ-7600-A(i think,hard to see).On mine it's listed as a sleeve..F6ZZ-7600-A.What is that?

Add:I checked this out after i posted this.i think i read it wrong.The sleeve and pilot bearing is one and the same?

Edited by cyberdemonbfg

Yes i noticed it on the tsb.It was F5ZZ-7600-A(i think,hard to see).On mine it's listed as a sleeve..F6ZZ-7600-A.What is that?

Add:I checked this out after i posted this.i think i read it wrong.The sleeve and pilot bearing is one and the same?

Yes...that's it. happy%20feet.gif

Sup guys, I’m new to the forum. I found this place because I was searching out clutch problems for my 2009 Gt500. My clutch went out last Wednesday and its at the dealership now being taken down so they can find out what the problem is, it was diagnosed as a slipping clutch. My estimate is $2800.00 WTH, on a 3 year old car with 20,000 miles it? My warranty expired last month.

I just found about all the TSB’s and issues everyone is having. My dealer never said a thing to me. I called customer care this morning and made a complaint, so I guess I just have to sit back and wait. This is my 5th mustang.... Ive been driving a clutch for 25 years, this by far is the worst experience I’ve had yet with any stang.

PM me your e-mail and I will send you the TSB and the most current parts list. My wife just had the TSB just done to her car 2 weeks ago so I can send you a copy of the parts list. I won't be home untill this evening to do it.

Rob

Hi,

can someone please post or email me the 4th revision of the clutch tsb and if someone has a list of the part numbers i could use that to. I'm going in for the diagnostics on monday.

Thanks in advance.

TRob

You don't drive that car enough to have worn out the clutch :hysterical3:

Well, The Ford dealer service manager just called and told me he cant help with the TSB clutch replacemnt because the 3 yr/36k warranty has expired even though I have an 8 yr extended warranty in which he claims does not cover the clutch assy. Any information would be helpful in my case. I'm getting ready to call Ford customer service. The serv manager clains that if I can get Ford to agree to pay for it he will replace the cluctch assy.

Thanks in advance,

TRob

Well, The Ford dealer service manager just called and told me he cant help with the TSB clutch replacemnt because the 3 yr/36k warranty has expired even though I have an 8 yr extended warranty in which he claims does not cover the clutch assy. Any information would be helpful in my case. I'm getting ready to call Ford customer service. The serv manager clains that if I can get Ford to agree to pay for it he will replace the cluctch assy.

Thanks in advance,

TRob

He is correct, the extended warranty does not cover the clutch.

Your only hope is the 5 year warranty since it covers the flywheel and the flywheel is the root of the problem that takes out the clutch.

It seems to be rare that Ford is covering the repairs after the 3 year warranty is up,

Success!! Ford is honoring the TSB

repairs. Service manager went to bat for me cause I gave him so much info from this forum. One question. I hear they are using the 2012 clutch assy now. Does anyone have that part no.

Thanks again Rob,

TRob.

Success!! Ford is honoring the TSB

repairs. Service manager went to bat for me cause I gave him so much info from this forum. One question. I hear they are using the 2012 clutch assy now. Does anyone have that part no.

Thanks again Rob,

TRob.

Your welcome.

My wife just had the TSB done. See the part numbers on the boxs. Hopefully you are having a FRPP short throw shifter installed while the tranny is out. Get one over nighted.

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

028.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

039.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Not a Prob with my dealership on the TSB for the Clutch.... WHOO HOO. The only question I have is the PCM, I heard on this forum that had to be done after the install. Will they reflash or reprogram the PCM correctly to the car. I have a KR and will they program it with the gt500 Tune or the KR Procal tune? (I'm not that tech savvy so i apologize up front). What will they do anyways to the PCM... any KR owners get this done?

Not a Prob with my dealership on the TSB for the Clutch.... WHOO HOO. The only question I have is the PCM, I heard on this forum that had to be done after the install. Will they reflash or reprogram the PCM correctly to the car. I have a KR and will they program it with the gt500 Tune or the KR Procal tune? (I'm not that tech savvy so i apologize up front). What will they do anyways to the PCM... any KR owners get this done?

You need to talk to the service manager and have him skip that part of the TSB. Don't let them re program the PCM or you will loose your KR tune. They do not have a KR tune at the dealership from what I have heard. This step was just skipped on my wifes car at my request. Make sure the tech knows too. I would tape the PCM plug port shut and put a note on it saying to not touch it as well.

You need to talk to the service manager and have him skip that part of the TSB. Don't let them re program the PCM or you will loose your KR tune. They do not have a KR tune at the dealership from what I have heard. This step was just skipped on my wifes car at my request. Make sure the tech knows too. I would tape the PCM plug port shut and put a note on it saying to not touch it as well.

Grabber,

thanks again for your advice.... my car is at the dealership at this moment. Just told my advisor and the tech not to touch the PCM and explained why. They said they would check to see if the PCM tune they have would be correct but I said if you don't have the KR tune don't even touch it (per owners request). They understood that they would probably only have the PCM tune from FMCO(stock gt500) and not the Shelby gt500kr (Pro cal tune). Hopefully all goes well when I get the car back.

On a good note I'm glad I'm getting this done the last month of my 3 year warranty and getting a new 2010-2012 clutch kit. On a bad note I won't get the car back till the end of the week (5 days total).... they have to order the parts and its on a holiday week (Work week is short days with 4th of july not open)... :)

Edited by KR_Mac

While at Carlisle this year, I purchased a short throw shifter and had it installed at the show. For Carlisle, Ford Motorsports teams up with Fred Beans Ford of Boyertown/True Blue Racing, and sets up a workshop right in the middle of the vendor area. They put up two lifts, bring in their tools and equipment, and some of their best technicians (some of whom own hot rod Mustangs and GT500's) to work on the cars.....and their prices are pretty attractive too. They can install small items (hood lift kits, sequential tail lights, etc.), all the way up to full suspension kits and super charger swaps/installs.

After they had installed my new shifter, and moved the car off of the lift, one of the representatives of Fred Beans came over to talk to me about my car. He asked what year it was, if I had bought it new, how many miles were on it, when I purchased it, then he asked if it still had the original clutch in it......my heart sank. I told him 'yes', and he informed me that just from moving the car around the small shop area, they could tell the clutch was starting to show symptoms of the TSB. My heart sank even further, and I played dumb as to my knowledge of the TSB problems. I asked him what I should do, and he told me not to worry. "Just bring it back to your Dealer, and tell him that when the clutch is fully depressed, the car still wants to creep forward. If he doesn't know what you mean, you can mention you heard something about a TSB. If he is a good Dealer, he will take it from there." I told him I would do that, but I had a problem.....I don't have a Dealer. My Dealer went out of business two weeks after delivering my car. Since I bought the car in December of 2007, it has never been back to Ford for any service.

I asked him if Fred Beans would be interested in doing the clutch TSB on my car. He told me to wait a minute and he would go get the Parts Manager to talk about it. The Parts Manager was very informed on the clutch issue, and told be they had done numerous TSB's for other GT500 owners. He asked me where I lived. I'm about an hour and a half away from their dealership. He asked my why I wouldn't want to take it some place closer to home. I now explained to them that I was fully aware of the TSB, and knew that it was a major job. I was aware of horror stories about TSB's gone wrong, and was not looking forward to getting mine done. I didn't want someone leaning or fumbling through the repair, and if they had done the job multiple times before, and done it well, I would be more than willing to make the drive to get it done right.

The Manager said that if I was willing to drive up, they were willing to perform the TSB. Then he told me that based on what they found when they opened up the transmission, the service would cost between $3600 and $4000, as they would minimally have to replace the clutch, fly wheel, and pressure plate....my heart sank for the third time. I took a deep breath and asked how much of that I would be expected to pay. He said "None, we will bill the entire TSB service back to Ford." [Wait a minute. Did I hear him correctly?] I have read where some dealers won't cover the repair at all, claiming its just a TSB, not a recall or a warranty. I've also heard that some folks have had to argue, kick, scream, stomp their feet, just to get the dealer to split the cost of the repair. This dealer was going to cover it all, and I didn't even have to make a fuss to get them to do "the right thing?" Buying that shifter, and having it installed, was the best mods I ever made to the car....it potentially saved me $4000 out of my own pocket.

For the next few weeks I e-mailed back and forth with my Service Rep, providing the VIN, verifying the in service dates, etc. As soon as everything checked out (meaning the car was still covered as part of the power train warranty), they ordered all the parts. I must say that my Service Rep was awesome! She understood what the car meant to me, and went above and beyond at every turn. She even took pictures of the car while it was being worked on, so that I would have them for my records, and arranged a loaner car for me.

On this past Monday (7/2/12) I dropped the car off. Without me even asking, my Service Rep did a full walk-around on the car to make sure it was in perfect condition, and recorded the mileage to ensure we could tell exactly how much it was driven while at the dealership. As I passed her the keys, my hands were actually shaking a little. My baby was going in for major surgery, and I was nervous about how everything would turn out.

Yesterday (7/5/12), I picked the car up. When I got there, the car was parked along the wall of the Service Department, next to a window that had the blinds closed. As I walked over to my car and started to take a close look at it, the blinds flew open and the Service Manager had his face 1/4" off of the window. He was yelling at me not to get too close and not to touch the car. The window was for his office, and he had the car parked there on purpose, so that he personally could keep an eye on it all day....I liked that, and appreciated that level of service. He went over the car with me, reviewed the paperwork, provided me with a copy of the TSB, and showed me all the old parts. He also told me only one Technician, and himself, had driven my car. Because I had a JLT CAI on my car, they did not 're-flash' my computer. So far, on a scale of 1 to 10, Fred Beans gets an 11 from me.

As I got in the car to back it out of the spot, I almost kicked the clutch pedal through the firewall.....it is much lighter. When I started to release the clutch, it began to engage about 1/2" off the floor. That was unexpected, as my old clutch engaged at the top 1/2" of the release stroke, not the bottom. The car shifted fine, and was much easier to drive. No clutch chatter. Less abrupt movement from a dead stop. You would never know that this clutch was holding back 500+ horse power. I'm still breaking it in, and drove like 'grandpa' on the way home (easy launches from stops, and no boost....that takes some self control), but it drove very smooth.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that as I continue to break in the new clutch, I don't have any new issues surface. So far, so good.....better than 'good' in fact.

The knowledge gained from reading all these posts made me feel well informed, and somewhat in control of the situation. Even thought I didn't have to argue or debate any issues with the Service Department, I felt educated and capable of making good/valid comments if required. Thanks to all of those who have posted here before me. Special thanks goes out to Grabber for being 'the keeper of the flame' and compiling all this data in one area for the benefit of others.

To help my fellow Team Shelby brothers, I have attached a copy of the TSB, as I noticed a good clean scan was not available (although Grabber had posted some photos of his copy) . I have also included a copy of my parts list for others to compare against. It would appear that rather than order some of the parts separately, full assemblies or parts kits were ordered for my job. Hopefully this information helps out the next guy(s).

Z-man

Scan 1.pdf

Scan 2.pdf

Scan 1.pdf

Scan 2.pdf

Edited by Z-man

Grabber,

Got my KR back and wow what a diff in the new clutch... Shifts great, no shutter, no shaking, smooth like a new car feeling. Now I have to get use to the new driving style of the clutch. Can you tell me how long it usually takes to break in the new clutch... I stepped on it a bit and the Supercharger seemed low in sound not like it use to be and the car sort of felt sluggish (maybe its just me). I want to punch it hard and reassure they didn't effect the PCM tune. Anyway you could tell if they did not touch it? Was your wifes car pulling the same afterward? Did anyone else have a sort of slower feeling with the car afterward? Just curious if anyone had concerns, not about the clutch but the Tune and HP afterward? I do miss the Hiss sound and supercharger full whine!!!

1 AR3Z*6375*A Flywheel Asy

1 CR3Z*7B546*A Clutch Asy

1 9R3Z*7C391*B Kit - Repair - Input Shaft

1 F6ZZ*7600*A Sleeve

1 DR3Z*7A508*A Cylinder Say - Clutch Slave

1 AR3Z*7A512*A Tube

6 *N808969*S100 Bolt

8 F6ZZ*6379*AA Bolt - Hex.Head

Thanks Grabber and everyone for the info on this forum...

Mac

Edited by KR_Mac

I haven't "punched" mine yet, but I have "goosed" it a little. Mine seems fine so far, but I'm still being conservative and breaking it in gently.

I remember back when we had a clutch put in my brothers 1990 Mustang GT. Until the clutch wore in, if you "punched" it, it would just slip and spin. That can't be too good on a new clutch.

Guess I'm older and wiser now.......well, older anyway.

Let it break in for about 300 miles and don't take it past 4000 RPM's untill then. That is what I would do. Your SC whine will not be affected. I would of taped up my PCM port so I could tell if they plugged in or not. Just ask them if they did or not.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the costs of the Ford current TSB parts for the 2007 to 2009 Shelby GT500. These are the latest and greatest parts revisions and costs. Also note that Ford should charge 4.2 labor hours to install them.

SLEEVE

Part #: F6ZZ7600A

Pack Qty: 1

$13.20

CYLINDER ASY - CLUTCH SLAVE

Part #: AR3Z7A508A

$221.81

BOLT

Part #: N808969S100

Pack Qty: 6

$22.00

FLYWHEEL ASY

Part #: AR3Z6375A

$253.60

CLUTCH ASY

Part #: CR3Z7B546A

$601.20

LUBRICANT - TEFLON

Part #: XG8

$7.92

TUBE

Part #: AR3Z7A512A

$76.81

FLUID - BRAKE

Part #: PM1C

$4.78

BOLT - HEX.HEAD

Part #: F6ZZ6379AA

Pack Qty: 3

$11.17 for each pack. 3 packs needed

$33.51

Parts Subtotal:

$1,234.83

Total:

$1,234.83

Edited by Grabber

A GREAT point has been brought up here. ANY time you take ANY car in to a dealer and have a tune, make sure they know not to do any re-flashes of the computer. I learned the hard way with my E55 AMG Mercedes when I first bought it after having a Kleemann 650 HP package and tune put on. I took the car in for a broken cup holder and they re-flashed an "update" losing my 650 HP tune. When I got the car back, it flet liek it had way less power and sure enough, the tune was gone. Cost me $1500 to sent my computer back to Kleemann to have it flashed back. Expensive lesson!! I also get a kick out of how some complain that a good Shelby tune can be a few hundred dollars....European cars are considerably more...LOL

Alex

$254 last time I got one. When I need one right away, I get from my local dealer with my discount, when I have time to wait, I get them from Tousley Ford in MN as they usually have the best prices on Ford parts....

Alex

$254 last time I got one. When I need one right away, I get from my local dealer with my discount, when I have time to wait, I get them from Tousley Ford in MN as they usually have the best prices on Ford parts....

Alex

Alex,

Can you post a picture of the clutch slave unit?

Thanks

Alex

OK,

Tasca has them for $174 + $16 shipping on e-bay for a total price of $190

Here is the link. They have pic's of them in the box and out of the box. They claim to have 10 of them. They have all there parts dept stuff for sale as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-CLUTCH-SLAVE-CYLINDER-2010-2013-FORD-MUSTANG-W-5-4L-SUPERCHARGED-V8-/230795705808?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bc7efdd0