TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4th Revision - The new revised Clutch TSB 10-3-8

Grabber

I have a 2007 Shelby GT 500 and and when i release the clutch in reverseor 1 st gear i hear a loud belt like chirp sound. It seems to be coming from the transmission. Sometimes it feels like you have to use a little more force to get the transmission into all the gears also. I know the hiss sound is normal but the belt like squeal doesn't sound right. Can anyone help me out. Thanks for reading this.

The guy does not know what he is talking about. Plain and simple.

They are jerking you around.

well i just got off the phone with Darcy again. (funny how his boss still hasnt called me?) basically he says they are fighting to get this fixed under the tsb but they may have to have an engineer come out to take a look and authorize any repair. heres where it got amusing for me.

i asked him what tsb he was looking at to make this call? he couldnt answer that

i asked him if the had read all of them or just the current one? he didnt know there was more than one?

i read him the original TSB and he said he was un aware that there was a flywheel issue?

i told him that in my opinion the root cause of all the this, all of the tsbs and issues is the FACT that a nodular steel fly wheel was installed that couldnt disapate heat correctly and was causing warpage. and the fix that Ford did was put a 4100 flywheel in the car. He did not know. he then said he was "on my side" and they were fighting to get it done. said he would have me come get it if there wasnt a chance of it getting fixed,

im thinking about taking the 45 min drive and dropping off all of the tsbs to them. it just gets under my skin that when i talked to the guys in the beginning 2 weeks prior to bringing my car to them, it was yeah we have seen this several times, no a problem, we know its an issue and we just swap all parts involved. and now that the car is down there the story has changed. i guess i just dont see whats hard about being up front, looking into something and giving and honest answer prior to taking posession of the car?

well i just got off the phone with Darcy again. (funny how his boss still hasnt called me?) basically he says they are fighting to get this fixed under the tsb but they may have to have an engineer come out to take a look and authorize any repair. heres where it got amusing for me.

i asked him what tsb he was looking at to make this call? he couldnt answer that

i asked him if the had read all of them or just the current one? he didnt know there was more than one?

i read him the original TSB and he said he was un aware that there was a flywheel issue?

i told him that in my opinion the root cause of all the this, all of the tsbs and issues is the FACT that a nodular steel fly wheel was installed that couldnt disapate heat correctly and was causing warpage. and the fix that Ford did was put a 4100 flywheel in the car. He did not know. he then said he was "on my side" and they were fighting to get it done. said he would have me come get it if there wasnt a chance of it getting fixed,

im thinking about taking the 45 min drive and dropping off all of the tsbs to them. it just gets under my skin that when i talked to the guys in the beginning 2 weeks prior to bringing my car to them, it was yeah we have seen this several times, no a problem, we know its an issue and we just swap all parts involved. and now that the car is down there the story has changed. i guess i just dont see whats hard about being up front, looking into something and giving and honest answer prior to taking posession of the car?

You did your homework. It's too bad they did not doe theirs !

Since you know what your talking about.....they will have to help you!

I have a 2007 Shelby GT 500 and and when i release the clutch in reverseor 1 st gear i hear a loud belt like chirp sound. It seems to be coming from the transmission. Sometimes it feels like you have to use a little more force to get the transmission into all the gears also. I know the hiss sound is normal but the belt like squeal doesn't sound right. Can anyone help me out. Thanks for reading this.

Try pumping the clutch pedal 7 times befor you start the car. Also pump the brake pedal 3 times before you start the car. Do this for the next several time you drive the car and see if it moves any possible air that may be in the line.

See the attached thread for the only part on your car that can whine like that:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27400-my-release-bearing-is-screaming-like-a-stuck-pig-again/page__view__findpost__p__414189__hl__cylinder__fromsearch__1

I had a similar experience. dropped it off and they said surely it would be under warranty. once it was torn apart, they wanted to charge me $2700 in repairs and refused to cover it saying the clutch isn't covered under warranty or the TSB. FORD sucks...plain and simple. Fixed the car, sold it, will never own another Ford. Worst experience with a company I'd ever had. TSB only applies if the flywheel has distinct heat marks regardless of how warped the flywheel is.

ive got a "bad" build date by about a month. damn the luck right?

with 25k miles shes starting to slip. called a bussy of mine at a local shop, he had the service manager call me back. guy sounds great. said they have had several tsb's done. no problems no worries. said they are to the point to where even if its just an abused car they are fixing it. so as soon as i can get outta this hopsital room ill be taking the car out to his dealership. hopefully get a new clutch flywheel and slave cly. installed. ill keep you up. but for anyone in the OKC area joe cooper ford yukon seems like the place to take them. but ill have an update on that soon enough i guess

When I saw this post, I told a coworker of mine who is having a slipping clutch problem. He called the dealer you mentioned. I am assuming at the same time they were giving you grief. They said don’t bring it in; they do not want to touch it. So much for Joe Cooper Ford.

Wow really? That's funny. I mean not for your buddy but for how fast they changed their attitude. When I first called up there 2 weeks ago it was "oh yeah we have fixed this per the tsb several times. We even did one for a guy that just couldn't driver the car and fried the clutch. No problem just bring it in". I'm still waiting on an answer. Now with your buddy just don't even bring it in. Where does he live. I was gonna prob try reynalds next. Tell him good luck

Wow really? That's funny. I mean not for your buddy but for how fast they changed their attitude. When I first called up there 2 weeks ago it was "oh yeah we have fixed this per the tsb several times. We even did one for a guy that just couldn't driver the car and fried the clutch. No problem just bring it in". I'm still waiting on an answer. Now with your buddy just don't even bring it in. Where does he live. I was gonna prob try reynalds next. Tell him good luck

I think we all work at the same sky patch and he lives near the Yukon dealer shim. I bought mine in Mid West City.

I think we all work at the same sky patch and he lives near the Yukon dealer shim. I bought mine in Mid West City.

think im following whats ur shooting there. thats cool. we may have to meet up some time. i know ive seen a couple on base.

let me know if he needs some help. ive gotta buddy with some good connections at reynalds ford in norman. im still waiting on a call about mine today. so far its been quiet!!!

Well I got some good news today. I called Darcy up this morning. I had no word yesterday. He said his service department director was suppose to call me last night ( I heard this and thought well here goes my day, and my blood was about to boil). He tells me it went to the service department director, went over his head to some service engineer, over his head to his boss, then eneded up at ford them selves before someone approved it. From what he tells me they were like "oh yeah that's a known problem order the parts and get his car back to him"

So parts are on order. I'm being told monday they should be here so hopefully tues/wed time frame ill get her back in my garage. But again we will see

To be continued........

Well I got my phone call today. I'm at the dealership waiting to get my keys. Even sent a car to come get me lol. We will see how the car drives now. Was just talking to my buddy. He was filling me in on all they had to do to get it approved

Thanks to Mr grabber and everyone else for all the info and help on gettin this taken care of. U guys are awesome

Vandy

Hi. I'm new to Team Shelby's forums, and why am I here? Clutch issues! Found this post while googling "gt500 clutch problems" and I have a few questions, if I may ask: should the car still be covered by warranty for the known clutch problems, even if we're the 2nd owners? My husband & I bought our '07, used, in Feb. 2010 from a non-Ford lot; it only had 2000 miles on it. It now has 14,400 (I'm the primary driver, mostly around town, and to neighboring towns shopping and car shows). Here's what's happening: it "revs" when you're in gear but give it a little -- and I mean a little-- gas to pass a slower car on the freeway, and your foot's no where near the clutch pedal. Or it does it: your foot's off the pedal and it revs after you're in the next gear. A couple of times it revved while my husband was driving, and I thought he was getting ready to jump on it without warning me, and he said "I didn't do anything!"

I have the feeling that if I printed out all the TSBs mentioned here, took them to a local Ford dealership, we'd be told "sorry". That's why I'm asking if we'd still be covered by the warranty. If the car's not still covered by warranty, or we just flat out don't want to mess with being jerked around, would it be better to go to a private mechanic we know and trust to put in a brand new aftermarket clutch? And if we were to put in an aftermarket, what's the best/most preferred? We are not racers, but we do like to 'test it' once in a while. :) We do not know how the car's first 2000m were put on it, but have a feeling it could have been driven harder than we ever would.... that's another story of why we have that thought...

Thanks to any and all for your thoughts and replies...

jan

~~life is a highway~~

I put this up on another forum but though I could see if someone could help here.

The dealer just replaced the clutch and flywheel on my car. Clutch feels horible. It's super soft and has no play in it at all. There is also no torque transfer. If I get on it the motor revs up and boosts full, but the car just dosn't pull. I can't even break the tires loose....

It also didn't fix any problems I brought it in for. My gears are still sticking in first and second and reverse, binding up, and about a dozen other issues. I had it out of gear pulling up to a light, let out of the clutch and the car lurched forward like it was still in gear and I almost hit another car.

However, the dealer just called me and said "Ford" told her they can't do any more work because it's "operating normally" since it passed their stupid "stick it in neutral, pull the e-brake, shift..blah blah blah" test... She (service manager) wants an engineer to come in but Ford isn't budging.

Granite this is assuming she is telling me the truth, but I have no reason to expect other wise. They've done lots of warranty work to my car and I've never had a problem.

The service manager has told me to call the Customer Relationship Center and tell them I'm not happy with my car. They are closed so it will have to wait till tommorrow, and I don't hold much hope for that anywase.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Hi. I'm new to Team Shelby's forums, and why am I here? Clutch issues! Found this post while googling "gt500 clutch problems" and I have a few questions, if I may ask: should the car still be covered by warranty for the known clutch problems, even if we're the 2nd owners? My husband & I bought our '07, used, in Feb. 2010 from a non-Ford lot; it only had 2000 miles on it. It now has 14,400 (I'm the primary driver, mostly around town, and to neighboring towns shopping and car shows). Here's what's happening: it "revs" when you're in gear but give it a little -- and I mean a little-- gas to pass a slower car on the freeway, and your foot's no where near the clutch pedal. Or it does it: your foot's off the pedal and it revs after you're in the next gear. A couple of times it revved while my husband was driving, and I thought he was getting ready to jump on it without warning me, and he said "I didn't do anything!"

I have the feeling that if I printed out all the TSBs mentioned here, took them to a local Ford dealership, we'd be told "sorry". That's why I'm asking if we'd still be covered by the warranty. If the car's not still covered by warranty, or we just flat out don't want to mess with being jerked around, would it be better to go to a private mechanic we know and trust to put in a brand new aftermarket clutch? And if we were to put in an aftermarket, what's the best/most preferred? We are not racers, but we do like to 'test it' once in a while. :) We do not know how the car's first 2000m were put on it, but have a feeling it could have been driven harder than we ever would.... that's another story of why we have that thought...

Thanks to any and all for your thoughts and replies...

jan

~~life is a highway~~

Since your car is over 4 to 5 years old...you may have a tough time getting them to cover it.

That's my opinion. It won't hurt to try.

I put this up on another forum but though I could see if someone could help here.

The dealer just replaced the clutch and flywheel on my car. Clutch feels horible. It's super soft and has no play in it at all. There is also no torque transfer. If I get on it the motor revs up and boosts full, but the car just dosn't pull. I can't even break the tires loose....

It also didn't fix any problems I brought it in for. My gears are still sticking in first and second and reverse, binding up, and about a dozen other issues. I had it out of gear pulling up to a light, let out of the clutch and the car lurched forward like it was still in gear and I almost hit another car.

However, the dealer just called me and said "Ford" told her they can't do any more work because it's "operating normally" since it passed their stupid "stick it in neutral, pull the e-brake, shift..blah blah blah" test... She (service manager) wants an engineer to come in but Ford isn't budging.

Granite this is assuming she is telling me the truth, but I have no reason to expect other wise. They've done lots of warranty work to my car and I've never had a problem.

The service manager has told me to call the Customer Relationship Center and tell them I'm not happy with my car. They are closed so it will have to wait till tommorrow, and I don't hold much hope for that anywase.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Your car is not right.

Have done, and the service manager was very impressed about how much knowledge I had about the issue, the cause, the problems, and that I knew what the exact TSB was and what was done to my car before they even told me (thanks to your volumes of info Grabber). But per the TSB, my car passes the syncro test, therefor Ford will not allow the dealer to dig into the tranny. I'm gona take it out tomorrow morning and duplicate the problem with the head tech and the service manager, since they are unable to. Not to thrilled about it because I'm gona be pissed if it grabs gear again and sends me into a car....

I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue as me: a replaced flywheel and clutch, passes the syncro test, but still has gears that block out/in....

• 3 weeks later...

Dealer Hub City Ford Lafayette said 3500 to replace clutch

I showed them the tsb deal

car still on rack 2 weeks standing by

Ford calls em back supposedly and says tough luck.

Started slipping at 15000 thought it might just be the tires letting loose

22k now original tires with wear left, original brake pads

for 6oo bucks they will put in a spec twin disk if I buy it another 100 bucks to install short throw shifter

Just talked to Breax Bridge transmission and I beleive i am going to have fthem pick it up and do the swap

Super twin SFG5PT or RAM Model: 90-2220?

And am looking for a short throw shifter and cool knob to go with it

looking for advice

signed

Livid

Edited by rsfdiver

• 3 weeks later...

Dealer wasn't able to convince Ford of a TSB issue

Went with aftermarket clutch: McLeod RXT, Ford racing KR shifter and Black ball with ford racing logo.

Dealer installed it no questions. The tear down and inspection was going to run $500 anyway so I ordered the parts and they put them in for $812 including the shifter install.

They also lubed the splines on the input shaft.

Saved about a grand buying the parts myself rather than have them put the same junk in for $3500+.

Have 422 miles of easy town and country driving on the clutch so it is pretty much broken in.

Seems to be the smoothest with slightly aggressive operation going from a stop.

The clutch pedal engages 2" from fully depressed as compared to the last half inch of release.

Rattles at times around 1500 rpm or so when going through higher gears. Its a familiar sound I have heard with low rpms on other vehicles I have owned.

My old hip appreciates the lighter pedal.

Getting used to the KR shifter and like it. The throw is as short as I think I want for right now.

I can see acquiring a number of shifter balls. For fun.

LEMON GT500

I am the proud (ha!) owner of what I think is the only GT500 convertible with 80K+ miles. ('03 & '01 SVT 'verts before it) As such, I unfortunately have more experience dealing with this clutch "issue" than any other GT500 owner. This vehicle was purchased new in 07. If memory serves me correctly, I am now on my 4th clutch and 2nd tranny. Every 15-20K miles, I go through the following:

1) Bring vehicle to Ford

2) Get told I don't know how to drive the car and that this is a wear and tear matter

3) Provide evidence showing that this is a known problem

4) Fight Ford tooth & nail to get them to repair it

5) Succeed in having Ford cover the repairs they should cover

However.......My most recent repair was done prior to the last issued TSB. As such, I am, again, having the same F'ing problem. The problem surfaced again just after the 12/12 dealer warranty which should have covered the work performed. Despite my efforts, Ford and the dealer refuse to stand by their product. I retained counsel and filed a claim almost 2 months ago. Of course, Ford is fighting it. Thanks Ford. I have made no modifications to the car and expect to win. In the interim, it's getting worse by the day.

• 1 month later...

Took My March 2007 build date GT 500 in today for clutch sliping issue. Have 38K miles on my "baby'd" Shelby.

I was afraid that this day was coming, however was still hoping I was one of the fortunate few who had no clutch/tranny issues.

All I can do now is hope for the best - when it comes to Ford dealership service department and final solution of problem.

I wil reply as I know something new. As you all know there are numerous threads and topics on this issue. It is impossible to keep them all straight.

• 1 month later...

:happy feet: All I can say is that ANYONE experiencing this BS from Ford after paying as much as we have for these cars should do what I did. If you're in California, contact the Law Offices of William R. McGee - the California lemon law OG

16855 W. Bernardo Drive. Suite 380 San Diego, CA 92127

(858) 485-9332

I signed my retainer agreement June 26, they filed a lawsuit within days and I got my check last week. They took my case on a contingency fee basis. I got to keep the car and Ford paid many times more than they would have had to if they just fixed this VERY well known problem and stood behind their product. Car is now in the shop getting a McLeod RST put in, and I got a wad of cash for my troubles. Their business development lead, Randy Sotille, my attorney Debbie Horowitz, and their entire staff were so on top of their game. Anyone is welcome to contact me directly if you want to know more about my experience with them.

Edited by Smokin Rubber

• 1 month later...

Gotta thank everyone for all of their input. Just had TSB 10-3-8 done on my 08. Upon picking car up, tech came out and spoke to me about the work. According to him, the clutch will be "spongy" for a bit, and it is, because there is no way to bleed it after the TSB work. Sound right to anyone? Thanks.

Gotta thank everyone for all of their input. Just had TSB 10-3-8 done on my 08. Upon picking car up, tech came out and spoke to me about the work. According to him, the clutch will be "spongy" for a bit, and it is, because there is no way to bleed it after the TSB work. Sound right to anyone? Thanks.

The Work Service Manual that Ford makes available to all there technicians has the procedure on how to bleed the clutch. The TSB says to reference WSM 308-00-1 for that procedure. Obviously your Tech did not do his homework. :redcard:

However I did. So I suggest you print the PDF's in the attached link and ask the dealership to do the job correctly. You may want to hit them on the head with a pan as well. :finger:

See this link below:

http://www.teamshelb...post__p__989335

Edited by Grabber

Called them yesterday, and they had me bring it right in to bleed the clutch. i was there for less than 2 hours. Service manager basically explained that all of the air would've worked its way out in a couple hundred miles but that the tech should've done it while the car was there. All good now. Thanks again.

By the way, my car is an 08 purchased in Jan of 08 with 25K. I've always exprienced some cluch drag and bumping when car was first started but just hoped everything would be good. One day last month out of nowhere, the only way to shift into reverse or 1st without slamming through a deafening grind was with the engine off! Took it in with TSB in hand and they performed the TSB under the powertrain warranty no questions asked. The result of the work is amazing. Never has the car gone through the gears like this. Thanks again for all that have contributed to this site and the forums.

• 2 months later...

I took my car in last week, today they called...flywheel is bent, gears need replaced, synchros need replaced, new input shafts etc....Thatkll cost you 900.00 said the service writer. I asked why I am paying for anything when

1. I have a warranty (factory)

2. I have an extended warranty

3. The TSB.

I was told that the clutch is a wear item therefore not covered by warranty and that the TSB does not "pay" for the repair, it is a guidline on how to fix the issue. I was advised to call Fords 800 TSb line and start a comlaint.

Can anyone give me some advice or best way to proceed with fighting them on this. I can afford to pay out of pocket but Id rather not seeing that this isnt an issue I caused.