TEAM SHELBY FORUM

TSB mileage Question

MustangSal500

I apologize before hand if this question has been posted somewhere else before and if it has a link to it would be greatly appreciated, Is there any limit on miles on our gt500 to have the tsb done? My clutch has gone out but my ford dealer is saying they can only replace the tsb if the car is under 12k miles, I have 27k on my car and im still under the 3yr date. Is my ford dealer bullshitting me or can the tsb only be done free to cars w/under 12k miles. Thank you

I apologize before hand if this question has been posted somewhere else before and if it has a link to it would be greatly appreciated, Is there any limit on miles on our gt500 to have the tsb done? My clutch has gone out but my ford dealer is saying they can only replace the tsb if the car is under 12k miles, I have 27k on my car and im still under the 3yr date. Is my ford dealer bullshitting me or can the tsb only be done free to cars w/under 12k miles. Thank you

Sal,

They are BSing you. The flywheel is the root cause of the Clutch problem. Make them fix it.

Read this thread and go back to your dealer all schooled up on the problem.

http://www.teamshelb...__fromsearch__1

If you went in with the concern of just a worn out clutch then yes the clutch would only be warrantied for 12,000 miles. It is considered a "wear" item. If you read the tsb and go in with the complaint being that you have a hard time getting it in to second or that the cluch pedal doesn't seem to be releasing all the way then they should take care of you If the pressure plate doesn't release all the way it will cause the clutch to slip and in turn would cause the clutch to wear out prematurely. Try a differnt dealership with your concern stated differently. You might want to print the tsb and take it with you when you go back to the dealer and explaing that the throw out bear is sticking because of the input shaft not being of the new design. Good luck. :shift:

This is what I would do.

Go back in and be polite, and if the service advisor does not know about the problem, you will have to school him up. (Have the TSB in your back pocket too)

Tell him that you know for a fact that:

1. The first 11 months of GT500 production cars did not get any Teflon lube on the input shaft and clutch hub.

2. Tell him that you know your clutch hub and input shaft have a bunch of surface rust and corrosion on them because the lube never was applied.

3. Tell him that you know that the rusty shaft and clutch hub cause the clutch to not release on time and drag.

4. Tell him that you know that clutch drag causes your syncros to remain loaded with engine torque and that is why your gears grind inbetween shifts.

5. Tell him that you know the transmission input shaft splines have been revised to be a little wider and broached smoother so it will release on time from the clutch hub.

6. Tell him that you know the clutch hub has been revised to be made out of nickle to prevent the clutch hub from rusting.

7. Tell him that you know your flywheel is made out of nodular iron and it does not dissapate the heat very well so it has warped on you and is toasting your clutch and causing your car to have clutch chatter.

8. Tell him that you know the new flywheel is made out of 4100 series steel and is much thicker to take care of the heat dissapation and warpage problem.

If that does not work.....go to a different dealer.

Thanks guys for the info, Heres the full story, i went to Northside ford in san antonio, tx only because it was the closet dealer to me when my clutch was going out, the service adv there was fully aware of the tsb and said she'd done 5 of them already and that ford was rejecting any gt500 with over 12k miles. Im a pretty understanding person and im never rude because im in customer service myself but i went back and forth with her and left. So i was able to drive the car home *knock on wood* and i called around to other dealers and Jordan Ford in town was aware of the tsb and has done them before, the service guy there said he would take care of it for me so its in their hands now and hopefully it gets done right.

Even though i've seen it before, it still amazes me that ford dealers can be night and day with their service to customers. I've had other warranty issues with different vehicles going to northside ford, and they had their opportunity to get a customer back today but they've only made me more vocal about how bad they are. I dont care if they do have the only "svt" tech in town, im not paying for a warranty item, EVER.

Grabber your the man, thanks again for your knowledge and help

Sal

Side note, Jordan ford had a very sexy 2010 black on black gt500, plastics on the seats and all, very nice looking car in person(56k sticker)

Thanks guys for the info, Heres the full story, i went to Northside ford in san antonio, tx only because it was the closet dealer to me when my clutch was going out, the service adv there was fully aware of the tsb and said she'd done 5 of them already and that ford was rejecting any gt500 with over 12k miles. Im a pretty understanding person and im never rude because im in customer service myself but i went back and forth with her and left. So i was able to drive the car home *knock on wood* and i called around to other dealers and Jordan Ford in town was aware of the tsb and has done them before, the service guy there said he would take care of it for me so its in their hands now and hopefully it gets done right.

Even though i've seen it before, it still amazes me that ford dealers can be night and day with their service to customers. I've had other warranty issues with different vehicles going to northside ford, and they had their opportunity to get a customer back today but they've only made me more vocal about how bad they are. I dont care if they do have the only "svt" tech in town, im not paying for a warranty item, EVER.

Grabber your the man, thanks again for your knowledge and help

Sal

Side note, Jordan ford had a very sexy 2010 black on black gt500, plastics on the seats and all, very nice looking car in person(56k sticker)

Good deal. I am a service manager of a Honda dealership. I kills me to hear when customer service is so bad. Me and my team work so hard at pleasing our customers. I would be interested in seeing what the Customer Satisfaction Index is. I don't understand why they would not want the job. Ford pays the to do the work. In todays environment it seems they would want all the work they could get. Also the parts department bennifits from the replacement of the parts. Warranty mark up for parts is normally around 40%. All they are doing is running off customers. At least you found a dealer that is interested in make money and more importantly making a Customer. :fool:

Just an update, I just got the official call from my service adv who said ford would cover my tsb/clutch replacement so :happy feet: :happy feet: i took my car same day that i first got symptoms and he said that my flywheel was warped from excessive heat and clutch worn but he said that my pressure plate and other items seemed normal/fine, but its all getting replaced :)

Just an update, I just got the official call from my service adv who said ford would cover my tsb/clutch replacement so :happy feet: :happy feet: i took my car same day that i first got symptoms and he said that my flywheel was warped from excessive heat and clutch worn but he said that my pressure plate and other items seemed normal/fine, but its all getting replaced :)

Clutch and Flywheel, or the full Monty (Clutch, Flywheel and Transmission)?

Just curious as I just had mine done, but was just the clutch and flywheel as it was juuuuust starting to show signs (well to me anyway).

yeah mine is going to be just clutch and flywheel, the transmission was ok, sorry if i implied transmission also, i meant everything outside of transmissions.

Good luck!

I just had the same thing done. Took my dealer about 5 business days to get the parts, then two days to complete the work.

I'll be interested in any differences in you notice after the work is done. I noticed a few differences and would be interested in comparing them.

Based on all of the posts it appears that the majority of these problems have been on cars that were built the first 11 months of production. I have tried to find the production start date but have been unsuccessful. Can anybody give me that date. I have an '08 that was built on 8/20/07 that is showing no signs of clutch problems but I am wondering if my car is at risk for future problems. Unfortunately I have ony 1300 miles on the car as my trips to Mexico, Canada and China do not allow me to drive it as much as I would like so the question I keep asking myself is if I had more mile on it would I be having problems.

Any input would be appreciated.

NC stang,

I think the general consensus is that it will happen to everyone at some point wether its at 1000 miles or 70k miles, i was lucky to make it to 27k miles on my car. There is a sticky thread on the 07-09 gt500 forums that has a lot of great details on dates and such for affected cars. Grabber has a sticky on what to tell your dealer, if your car is affected by the clutch issues. And i think the cars from the first 11 months of production is for a lube/rust issue, i believe cars after the first 11 months still have clutch issues, just not some of the rust issues. someone please feel free to correct any of my info i said here.

Based on all of the posts it appears that the majority of these problems have been on cars that were built the first 11 months of production. I have tried to find the production start date but have been unsuccessful. Can anybody give me that date. I have an '08 that was built on 8/20/07 that is showing no signs of clutch problems but I am wondering if my car is at risk for future problems. Unfortunately I have ony 1300 miles on the car as my trips to Mexico, Canada and China do not allow me to drive it as much as I would like so the question I keep asking myself is if I had more mile on it would I be having problems.

Any input would be appreciated.

NCStangFanatic, where are you located? CrossRoads Ford of Wake Forest (f/k/a WakeField Ford) did a great job on mine and is familiar with the problem. I was starting to have issues, but they had not gotten bad yet, and they decided to go ahead and nip it in the bud by doing the clutch, flywheel and rebuilding the trans. No problems since (though it did take a couple of weeks to get the car back...).

so i just got the car back from the dealer and the clutch feels way different than before. Like skiph said, it feels more hydrolic than mechanical. it takes me way less effort to put the clutch down now but when i go to let off the clutch it pops out pretty strong and so i stalled it twice coming home at stop lights. felt like such a newb. I am wondering if my description sounds normal for post tsb installs? I think i just need to get used to the new clutch is all. Im just glad its over and done with :)

Just a word of caution. I believe that part of the TSB replacement parts package is the up-dated input shaft for the trans. It is marginally different then your stock one and although the original input shaft will probably work with the new clutch, flywheel system, I'd make sure that the dealer replaces the input shaft with the included, newer, up-dated one, otherwise you may have future issues. Some dealers are not replacing the shaft as it dictates that the transmission be torn down to do so, and they don't want to fool with it. GRABBER can chime in on this advise if he reads this, but I think I'm correct in my counsel.

so i just got the car back from the dealer and the clutch feels way different than before. Like skiph said, it feels more hydrolic than mechanical. it takes me way less effort to put the clutch down now but when i go to let off the clutch it pops out pretty strong and so i stalled it twice coming home at stop lights. felt like such a newb. I am wondering if my description sounds normal for post tsb installs? I think i just need to get used to the new clutch is all. Im just glad its over and done with :)

Thanks for the update!

Can you take a look at your receipt and relay which version of the TSB was done? It will say so on your receipt. Mine was the 09-19-11 but the new one Grabber just posted is out is the 10-3-8 one.

Yea, your experience with the clutch is feel is just like mine. Stalled once myself too :)

I'm not sure if you noticed (before the TSB) but for a lot of people (me included) when the car was in neutral, clutch peddle not depressed (like at a light), there was a rattle from the transmission area. Did you experience that before, and after the TSB is it there now (mine is TOTALLY gone)?

Lastly, when I shift into 3rd, 40% of the time I feel, and can kind of hear, a "clunk" kind of sound. Are you noticing anything different in the feel or sound when you shift into any of the gears.

skiph,

I didn't notice any rattling at neutral before the tsb and when i get home i'll update this post with my tsb version number. I drove the car to work today and didn't notice any clunking yet. I didn't have many of the rattling or grinding issues prior to the tsb like others have had, so sound wise everything sounds the same. Outside of the clutch feeling different, everything seems fine.

Sal

NCStangFanatic, where are you located? CrossRoads Ford of Wake Forest (f/k/a WakeField Ford) did a great job on mine and is familiar with the problem. I was starting to have issues, but they had not gotten bad yet, and they decided to go ahead and nip it in the bud by doing the clutch, flywheel and rebuilding the trans. No problems since (though it did take a couple of weeks to get the car back...).

I am located in the Triad area (Kernersville). My car was due for an oil change so I spent some doing the tests that Grabber recommended and this is what I found. When I push the clutch in and immediately put the car in first gear I feel a little bit of a bump. When I try it after holding the clutch in for a few seconds it is very smooth and I don't feel anything at all. There is definitely a difference between the two scenarios. The same with reverse although reverse is harder to get in after immedialtely pushing in the clutch than it is going into 1st. I had the dealership (Crossroads of Kernersville) look into this for me and they told me it was normal. The tech was familiar with the TSB and I even reviewed the symptoms with him but they insist this is not problem.

Archived