TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Weight

08jester

I have the 725pkge with 3000miles. Will be getting the car into the shop for an oil change soon. The oil was changed in March of 09 at Quantum when I had the SS package done. They put in a synthetic 5w-50. The shop that I am taking the car to is a very high class shop, they work on a lot of upper end sports cars. He is very familiar with the SS and has had a few there. They are recommending to change to 5w-20.

Was hoping to get a little feed back on this since I really know nothing about oil weight.

Thanks for any input.

Aggie

I am going to use exactly what Ford recommends for my Super Snake. Kenne Bell usually has good input on different issues. Maybe give them a call or start a post on their forum. Air temperature makes a difference on which oil to use. 5W-50 should be a good oil for most all temps.

5W-50 will be better during the hot summer months, will maintain it's viscosity better. I see you live in Livermore where it can get fairly warm in the summer, so this would probably be a good choice. It appears it is also what Shelby prefers to use with this package.

I have the 725pkge with 3000miles. Will be getting the car into the shop for an oil change soon. The oil was changed in March of 09 at Quantum when I had the SS package done. They put in a synthetic 5w-50. The shop that I am taking the car to is a very high class shop, they work on a lot of upper end sports cars. He is very familiar with the SS and has had a few there. They are recommending to change to 5w-20.

Was hoping to get a little feed back on this since I really know nothing about oil weight.

Thanks for any input.

Aggie

DO NOT GOTO 5w-20!! Kenny at Quantum knows what he is doing - It doesn't sound like your shop knows the 5.4Lengine! I have over 10,000 miles on my GT500 w 650 HP I have run it hard at the Mid America Ford and Team Shelby Nationals in Tulsa using 5W-50 Full Synthetic with no problems. My Son has an 08 GT500 with a 2.9 whipple and is putting out over 725 and no problems with the 5w-50 full synthetic. MANY DEALERS DO NOT STOCK THE 5w-50 - maybe that is why - do you think?

92fxdc

My instinct was telling me to stick with the 5w-50, just wanted to get some other opinions. I was going with the Castrol full synthetic 5w-50. I sent Kenny & Glenn an e-mail asking for their input as well.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Aggie

I take my SS to a Ford dealership for all maintenance work. They use what is recommended. I know it's synthetic but I'm not sure of the weight. I have almost 14m on the car and it runs like a swiss watch.

I take my SS to a Ford dealership for all maintenance work. They use what is recommended. I know it's synthetic but I'm not sure of the weight. I have almost 14m on the car and it runs like a swiss watch.

Do I read that as 14 miles on the car? You must trailer it to and from the dealer for maintenancedance.gif

5w-20 ???????? :confused:

add 200+ HP and use lighter weight oil.

Yes, please try this and let us know how this works out. :lol:

Well, first of all, I was ONLY looking for constructive opinions. Secondly, my above post is pretty clear that I will be using the 5w-50 as recommended by Ford & Shelby. :slapfight:

Come to find out, the mechanic thought I had a GT, men just don't listen........ :finger:

Well, first of all, I was ONLY looking for constructive opinions. Secondly, my above post is pretty clear that I will be using the 5w-50 as recommended by Ford & Shelby. :slapfight:

Come to find out, the mechanic thought I had a GT, men just don't listen........ :finger:

Did you mean FORD GT or Mustang GT??

My 06 Ford GT calls for 5w-50.

Archived