TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1969-70 GT350/500 owners

I looked at a few Vegas bash photos and caravans from Gardena Ca,but see no early shelbys.

I havent seen any posts either by them.

Im sure we are outnumbered on the site 20 to 1 or more?

Oh i know,mabe Ill try a search? No i couldnt find anything right away. Ill scan later as there are alot of posts to sort

I looked at a few Vegas bash photos and caravans from Gardena Ca,but see no early shelbys.

I havent seen any posts either by them.

Im sure we are outnumbered on the site 20 to 1 or more?

Oh i know,mabe Ill try a search? No i couldnt find anything right away. Ill scan later as there are alot of posts to sort

This site is mostly about the newer GT500 and Shelby GTs. The older cars are more discussed at:

http://www.shelbyforums.com/forums/

• 2 weeks later...

There were many early Shelbys at the Bash. By many I mean 10 or 15 plus another 5 or 6 Cobras.

For whatever reason the "old school" Shelby guys dont frequent here much. I think most here would love for them to show up and chime in. I know I love having older Shelbys at all the events I go to and organize.

Maybe you can convience some of them that we don't bite and we all shower at least once a week (okay, maybe not Doc Scott hysterical.gif ).

A Shelby is a Shelby. Even the Dodges!

There were many early Shelbys at the Bash. By many I mean 10 or 15 plus another 5 or 6 Cobras.

For whatever reason the "old school" Shelby guys dont frequent here much. I think most here would love for them to show up and chime in. I know I love having older Shelbys at all the events I go to and organize.

Maybe you can convience some of them that we don't bite and we all shower at least once a week (okay, maybe not Doc Scott hysterical.gif ).

I agree, I love the 69/70 models and would have one if I could afford it. They are my favorite. Bring on the pics

Many of us have early model Shelbys too, but drive out late models more. There are 2 69/70 GT500's in the desert that I have worked on and probably more that I don't know of. If fact, on of my customers actually drives his 69 GT500 several times a week. He lives in Palm Desert. His car is an aftermarket candy pearl red with aftermarket wheels. It was originally Grabber Orange.

Alex

• 1 month later...

Hey, what if I drive a 65 shelby tribute, does that count as an early Shelby? Even though it is a clone? I drive my stang every day as a driver. I would rather drive mine than any other car on the planet. The only thing I can think better is to make my car a real Shelby, or to be a little more realistic, SUPERCHARGE IT! I am wondering what some peolpe think about Shelby Tribute/Clones? Opinion anyone?

duolicate cut..cant find delete

Hey, what if I drive a 65 shelby tribute, does that count as an early Shelby? Even though it is a clone? I drive my stang every day as a driver. I would rather drive mine than any other car on the planet. The only thing I can think better is to make my car a real Shelby, or to be a little more realistic, SUPERCHARGE IT! I am wondering what some peolpe think about Shelby Tribute/Clones? Opinion anyone?

Well Denstang,

here's my opinion on cloning

What would anyone think if they owned a "real" anything and someone came into or around the group of original or real owners with a clone.

it is said that immitation is a form of flattery. Well Ill tell you now,justt ask any woman,that is not true.

The only people that say that are the immitators.

If you dont like being clearly " on the outs " by people ..dont do it.

Maybe things have lightened up abit on clones now days. i recall SAAC wouldnt let any members place pics of clones in the Marque newsletter. I think that did change. When kit cobras came out some of the original owners and others were spinnin their freakin heads around. i think they got used to it years later

In case anyone is thinking of having a clone and saying its real:

I think ultimately youd hate the response youd get if you admitted it was a clone and youd really be bummed if you were caught lying about it and claiming it was real.

One will make a mistake somewhere along the line or someone will ask you questions and notice any evasiveness. Hammer time!

Most people will just drop it and walk away,but there are those that will dog you until the fact is known.

There are others that will just go on the first impression from your evasiveness or if you make an error in detail.

There are others that specifica;lly ask questions just to prove its a fake.

Hope youre a genius at evading clever people. Its probably like being a criminal on the run. LOL

I wouldnt advise either.

I dwell on this only because thats what Ive seen some people do and as A result i dont reccommend anyone do it.

One could just save up to buy one or finance,but thats expensive.

( gen rule:DO NOT get married BEFORE you attempt to do this). It will become more difficult ,especially when kids come along and at divorce time itll be 1/2 hers. Ive known 2 and heard of many who had to sell when kids came along or during a divorce. i was another who had to negotiate during my divorce.

.You have a tough choice. I would stay away frome a clone for those reasons. Maybe you shopuld buy a wreck or torched and go from there. Very expensive and labor/time intensive,but if you cant swing the completed one,welll then its the better choice IMO.

ived owned several over the years and have seen enough to form this opinion.

Now Dont shoot me ,Im just the messenger and you asked for opinions. Believe me there are hard asses you encounter over this issue. I wouldnt recommend finding that out the hard way

AS ive mentioned earlier,clones may not be as big a negative as it used to be,but just keep it in mind incase youre thinkin of a clone.

Good luck

This was supposed to be an email and i accidentally posted it. I couldnt delete the msg so i just cut it

This was supposed to be an email and i accidentally posted it. I couldnt delete the msg so i just cut it

No problem. This is a forum. And, as a Shelby clone owner, I am not offended at all. Thank you for your opinon. I wish I could own a real one, but as you stated they are exspensive. I am not trying to be a wannabe. I do not and never will try to pass it off as a real Shelby. It is what it is. I will say that I hope people will not ever dog me. To be honest, if that happens, I will just walk away. I hope that the purist of Shelbys understand that not everyone can own a real one. Even though a clone is a copy, it is a copy/tribute of what Carrol Shelby made for all of us. I mean if some one copies something, it should be taken as a compliment rather than an insult. However, I do get upset when somebody does try to lie and pass a clone as a fake, by conversation or for resale. I love the old and the new Shelbys. I feel that Shelby and ford never has made a bad Shelby. By the way, the 69-70 Shelbys rock. Sounds like you have a beautiful car. Consider yourself lucky that you have a real one. As for me, I am happy enough to own a tribute paople can see everyday. It gives them something to see that is not seen that often, since a lot of the real ones are in garages till showtimes or events. For me, every day is an event when I start my car and drive wherever she takes me.

No problem. This is a forum. And, as a Shelby clone owner, I am not offended at all. Thank you for your opinon. I wish I could own a real one, but as you stated they are exspensive. I am not trying to be a wannabe. I do not and never will try to pass it off as a real Shelby. It is what it is. I will say that I hope people will not ever dog me. To be honest, if that happens, I will just walk away. I hope that the purist of Shelbys understand that not everyone can own a real one. Even though a clone is a copy, it is a copy/tribute of what Carrol Shelby made for all of us. I mean if some one copies something, it should be taken as a compliment rather than an insult. However, I do get upset when somebody does try to lie and pass a clone as a fake, by conversation or for resale. I love the old and the new Shelbys. I feel that Shelby and ford never has made a bad Shelby. By the way, the 69-70 Shelbys rock. Sounds like you have a beautiful car. Consider yourself lucky that you have a real one. As for me, I am happy enough to own a tribute paople can see everyday. It gives them something to see that is not seen that often, since a lot of the real ones are in garages till showtimes or events. For me, every day is an event when I start my car and drive wherever she takes me.

Can't we all just get along, we are AMERICANS. Being in groups to share a common bond in the new, or the old, or the purists. We all share the bond, of owning a car we all love, our own!

==================================

Im not "down on a clone" its just I wanted you to beware of some of the negative you may/will receive from jerks.

Those jerks are everywhere though. They are in school,work,clubs..everywhere..

Im glad you didnt take my opinion as anything offensive,because I wasnt trying to convey that.. I was just sharing the attitude Ive seen in all car clubs over the years.

The post was directed t0 anyone who might consider cloning .. I understand where you are as I was ther too when I was 20. I bought my first Shelby when i was 21 or so. They were way cheaper then. Anyone could afford them. About in 78 they started moving up in price fast.

Think of how paranoid youd be with a real one. it just may not be worth that alone. I know I cant enjoy mine anymore like I used to. Times are changin....good and bad.

Good luck I know youll enjoy the tribute shelby.

==================================

Im not "down on a clone" its just I wanted you to beware of some of the negative you may/will receive from jerks.

Those jerks are everywhere though. They are in school,work,clubs..everywhere..

Im glad you didnt take my opinion as anything offensive,because I wasnt trying to convey that.. I was just sharing the attitude Ive seen in all car clubs over the years.

The post was directed t0 anyone who might consider cloning .. I understand where you are as I was ther too when I was 20. I bought my first Shelby when i was 21 or so. They were way cheaper then. Anyone could afford them. About in 78 they started moving up in price fast.

Think of how paranoid youd be with a real one. it just may not be worth that alone. I know I cant enjoy mine anymore like I used to. Times are changin....good and bad.

Good luck I know youll enjoy the tribute shelby.

Yes sir, I will enjoy mine. Glad to have this chat. I will remember your words of wisdom. You sound 100% American :salute: Mabey one day we will cross paths so I can admire your 69'. Till then, "keep the tires spinnin and a keep on grinnin!" :shift:

Yes sir, I will enjoy mine. Glad to have this chat. I will remember your words of wisdom. You sound 100% American :salute: Mabey one day we will cross paths so I can admire your 69'. Till then, "keep the tires spinnin and a keep on grinnin!" :shift:

I notice youre from La Mirada. Isnt that SCal?

Did you go to SAACConvention back in about 05? I think it was in fontana CA at the speedway.

I didnt bring my car,but I did have my rv parked right at the entrance(inside) taking video of most of the cars driving in. I was in my lounger about 20 ft from each car as they drove by.

It was a perfect way to video and see /hear the engines of them all and not have to move an inch to do it.

Wish I could figure how to post the stuff. Hmmm I dont recall where that film is(in a box somewhere). The camera only lasted a couple years. Such crap cameras anymore. If i knew the ones that would last Id gladly pay more if necessary.

What I really enjoyed was the 1996-99 era RCA VHS cam corde r(the large ones you mounted on your shoulder)

Best most reliable one i could imagine owning.

I notice youre from La Mirada. Isnt that SCal?

Did you go to SAACConvention back in about 05? I think it was in fontana CA at the speedway.

I didnt bring my car,but I did have my rv parked right at the entrance(inside) taking video of most of the cars driving in. I was in my lounger about 20 ft from each car as they drove by.

It was a perfect way to video and see /hear the engines of them all and not have to move an inch to do it.

Wish I could figure how to post the stuff. Hmmm I dont recall where that film is(in a box somewhere). The camera only lasted a couple years. Such crap cameras anymore. If i knew the ones that would last Id gladly pay more if necessary.

What I really enjoyed was the 1996-99 era RCA VHS cam corde r(the large ones you mounted on your shoulder)

Best most reliable one i could imagine owning.

Yes, La Mirada is in So Cal, about 5 miles north of Knotts Berry Farm. No, I missed that show. However, I am going to the Fabulous Fords show by Knotts next weekend, as a spectator. I agree with you about the camera thing. Hopefully you can figure out how to post and find that classified tape. Compared to the government, the odds of finding that tape are in your favor :hysterical: Take care, mabey I will see you at the show?

Archived