TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shifter replacement

I finally took my 08sgt to get the hurst shifter replaced. The guy at the dealership said that he had to drop the tranny to put the new shifter in. Is this true??

I am going to have it done under warranty, waited until they possibly got it right. The aftermarket shelby shifter looks beefier than the one that is in my car. I am going to tell the mechanic at the dealership not to pull the tranny, just pull the driveshaft, don't need more problems.

I am going to have it done under warranty, waited until they possibly got it right. The aftermarket shelby shifter looks beefier than the one that is in my car. I am going to tell the mechanic at the dealership not to pull the tranny, just pull the driveshaft, don't need more problems.

Good luck! let us know how it turns out!

I finally took my 08sgt to get the hurst shifter replaced. The guy at the dealership said that he had to drop the tranny to put the new shifter in. Is this true??

I replaced the stock shifter in my 09 GT/CS with a MGW. The instructions have you unloosen the 4 bolts on the transmission carriage and it drops the tranny just enough (maybe an inch) so that you can swap out the shifter. The driveshaft stays intact. Check out the install video at mgwltd.com and you'll see how they're probably going to do yours. You can also check this posting site to see my shift set-up. I bought a Hurst stick and ball and with the help of a machine shop, I now have the best of both worlds. A MGW with the look of the Hurst.

Well...now we have no less than 4 FOUR ways listed to change the shifter and even FOUR videos purporting to show how it's done each of these ways! I haven't a clue which to go with. Maybe you should give all these options to your dealer and let them decide which they want to go with. In the end they'll have to deal with the result but maybe try the least invasive first? :headscratch:

I had my Hurst shifter replaced under warranty due to rattling. They did not drop the tranny or drive shaft. My shifter was replaced with the FRPP version but I was able to keep the stick and ball so it still looks right. Good luck...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived