TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07H066

First a little background on my position. I've owned several Mustangs, and currently drive a 2003 GT that I've done some minor mods to:

Shaker02.JPG

(18 x 9 black Bullitt wheels, Bullitt side scoops, H&R sport springs and tint not installed in pic)

The car is my daily driver, is completely paid off and only has 35K on it. I only live 2 miles from where I work, and I work an odd schedule of 3 days a week which has kept the miles down. The car is completely reliable with no issues other than some occasional slow speed tire rub at full lock due to the 18x9's on the front.

I've always wanted a Shelby or Saleen, but they have been out of my price range.

Today I saw a craigslist post for 07H066 at a dealer 2 miles from my house. Here's the ad:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ctd/1590407006.html

I went and checked it out today, and these are some of the things I found:

Carfax shows delivery to CA and sale at auction. No damage reported, no salvage title. Reading this site I've learned that Carfax on these cars doesn't really mean much of anything though.

The passenger rear quarter panel has been repainted. It doesn't look like it's been replaced, but they didn't remove the convertible trim before painting.

The center of the splitter is split.

The chrome on the top edge of the Hertz fender emblems has flaked off.

No convertible boot.

A look in the trunk did not turn up the Hertz document envelope.

Plastic trim in the trunk by the latch flops around on both ends. It looks like it should be secured to something.

There's an electric pigtail in the trunk that's not plugged into anything. It comes from the passenger side, and I didn't see anything that it would plug into. I guess there could be something behind the passenger side trim piece (see above that the passenger quarter panel has been repainted).

The Shelby sill plates, radiator support plaque and car in general show wear you would expect from a high milage rental.

I love the looks of this car, and as a bonus I actually fit in it. I had to ditch the stock leather seats in my GT and put in cloth Recaro's with custom seat brackets to get my head lower. I couldn't believe it when I sat in the car and fit perfectly in the stock seats! I started it up, but didn't go as far as taking a test drive. I looked at the Shelby by myself, then took the wife up later after she got home. She had an easier time getting into the Shelby than my lowered Recaro's, and she said she liked the looks of the Shelby better as well.

So here I am with a really nice paid for GT, that hasn't ever really 'done it' for me. I'm so glad not to have car payments, even though we can afford them. If I bought the Shelby I'd have to use the GT as a trade in. On the other hand the Shelby has a lot of miles on it and isn't in as good condition as my GT, but my wife and I both like it better - plus it's a Shelby - plus it's a convertible - plus it's a limited edition.

I know asking a Shelby forum whether I should by a Shelby may seem like a dumb thing to do, but I'd really like some opinions. Of course if I take my time someone else may grab it and make the whole question moot, but I don't want to rush into it either.

The thing that worries me most is that the car has 56k miles. I know my GT has exceptionally low miles, but how in the heck does a 2007 rental car get 56k miles? The last thing I want is to replace the GT and then have a lot of mechanical problems due to the Shelby being trashed. My options seem to be to just keep the GT and be happy with not having car payments, or bring up all the faults with the car and see how low they'll go on the price. With low enough car payments, there'd be room to save up money for any repairs that may crop up.

Thoughts??

First a little background on my position. I've owned several Mustangs, and currently drive a 2003 GT that I've done some minor mods to:

Shaker02.JPG

(18 x 9 black Bullitt wheels, Bullitt side scoops, H&R sport springs and tint not installed in pic)

The car is my daily driver, is completely paid off and only has 35K on it. I only live 2 miles from where I work, and I work an odd schedule of 3 days a week which has kept the miles down. The car is completely reliable with no issues other than some occasional slow speed tire rub at full lock due to the 18x9's on the front.

I've always wanted a Shelby or Saleen, but they have been out of my price range.

Today I saw a craigslist post for 07H066 at a dealer 2 miles from my house. Here's the ad:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ctd/1590407006.html

I went and checked it out today, and these are some of the things I found:

Carfax shows delivery to CA and sale at auction. No damage reported, no salvage title. Reading this site I've learned that Carfax on these cars doesn't really mean much of anything though.

The passenger rear quarter panel has been repainted. It doesn't look like it's been replaced, but they didn't remove the convertible trim before painting.

The center of the splitter is split.

The chrome on the top edge of the Hertz fender emblems has flaked off.

No convertible boot.

A look in the trunk did not turn up the Hertz document envelope.

Plastic trim in the trunk by the latch flops around on both ends. It looks like it should be secured to something.

There's an electric pigtail in the trunk that's not plugged into anything. It comes from the passenger side, and I didn't see anything that it would plug into. I guess there could be something behind the passenger side trim piece (see above that the passenger quarter panel has been repainted).

The Shelby sill plates, radiator support plaque and car in general show wear you would expect from a high milage rental.

I love the looks of this car, and as a bonus I actually fit in it. I had to ditch the stock leather seats in my GT and put in cloth Recaro's with custom seat brackets to get my head lower. I couldn't believe it when I sat in the car and fit perfectly in the stock seats! I started it up, but didn't go as far as taking a test drive. I looked at the Shelby by myself, then took the wife up later after she got home. She had an easier time getting into the Shelby than my lowered Recaro's, and she said she liked the looks of the Shelby better as well.

So here I am with a really nice paid for GT, that hasn't ever really 'done it' for me. I'm so glad not to have car payments, even though we can afford them. If I bought the Shelby I'd have to use the GT as a trade in. On the other hand the Shelby has a lot of miles on it and isn't in as good condition as my GT, but my wife and I both like it better - plus it's a Shelby - plus it's a convertible - plus it's a limited edition.

I know asking a Shelby forum whether I should by a Shelby may seem like a dumb thing to do, but I'd really like some opinions. Of course if I take my time someone else may grab it and make the whole question moot, but I don't want to rush into it either.

The thing that worries me most is that the car has 56k miles. I know my GT has exceptionally low miles, but how in the heck does a 2007 rental car get 56k miles? The last thing I want is to replace the GT and then have a lot of mechanical problems due to the Shelby being trashed. My options seem to be to just keep the GT and be happy with not having car payments, or bring up all the faults with the car and see how low they'll go on the price. With low enough car payments, there'd be room to save up money for any repairs that may crop up.

Thoughts??

Tom, welcome to Team Shelby. There are a number of other posts on the forum under the GTH sub-forum regarding both the 2006 coupe and 2007 convertible GTH cars. I'll attempt to answer some of your questions you put in your post. The price of the car is about market right now, but the mileage is a little high for the best market price. You may want to check Ebay for comparision pricing. The fact the car is close to you is good as you can inspect the condition of the car. The mileage on the car is consistant with many of the 07 convertibles as Hertz kept them in the fleet much longer than the 06 coupes. The mileage suggests the car was frequently rented, therefore not many mechanical problems. Also Hertz re-furbished these cars during their rental life to keep them looking good which could explain the quarter panel repaint. A complete check of the car's underside would also be recommended. The broken from valance, flaking "Hertz" badges are easily corrected. I'm not sure that the Hertz cars had the optional top boot, which is still available from Ford. The common issues with the GTH cars is the condition of the stripes, the color should match the lower body stripes exactly. Many dealers re-stripe the cars with similar, but not exact stripes which is a negative and an expensive correction. It's important to do a CarFax report to determine if you would be the first RETAIL owner. If you are then you are in luck, as Shelby American, through Team Shelby will have a nice FREE package for you including: a metal Shelby plack to replace the sticker on the dash, a key chain with the car number on it, a certificate with your name on it. You MUST register the car to receive the goodies. To register the car just click on the "Register your Shelby" link and follow the prompts. I hope this helps you in making your decision and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask and again, welcome to Team Shelby. Regards, Larry

Trade in the GT....I traded my new Challenger that had 5 recalls in on mine and have enjoyed it everyday. I will tell you that when you buy a shelby it is hit and miss. I passed on 4 different Shelbys before I got mine. As far as the packet in the trunk, it must be a myth because I had to email Hertz and call Shelby to get my packets. As far as the mileage; it is an early number so it may have an extended rental period. There was a auction where all or supposedly all Shelbys were sold. Mine 07H408 was not auctioned until August 2009 and my rental period ended in July. See if there is a red and white sticker under the hood and in the door jamb stating Campaign Completed with a number and the date. Mine was decommissioned 6-18-09. My 2 Cents....Go for it!

Thanks for the welcome and advice!

I noticed that the tri bar pony in the grill is missing about 98% of its red white and blue paint, which would be consistent with 56k of dirt hitting it. The hood and front stripes have no chips at all. Looking at the stripes on the front bumper I can see that they go over the license plate holes. I'd have to say that the front bumper and hood have also been repainted, and the body stripes replaced. The driving lights have been pushed back some, which must have happened when the bumper was split.

There's some sticker residue on the drivers side door above and below the latch, no idea what used to be stuck there although it appears to be some rectangular stickers.

The more I think about the repairs on the car the more I think I'm going to pass on it.

Thanks for the welcome and advice!

I noticed that the tri bar pony in the grill is missing about 98% of its red white and blue paint, which would be consistent with 56k of dirt hitting it. The hood and front stripes have no chips at all. Looking at the stripes on the front bumper I can see that they go over the license plate holes. I'd have to say that the front bumper and hood have also been repainted, and the body stripes replaced. The driving lights have been pushed back some, which must have happened when the bumper was split.

There's some sticker residue on the drivers side door above and below the latch, no idea what used to be stuck there although it appears to be some rectangular stickers.

The more I think about the repairs on the car the more I think I'm going to pass on it.

There is a Certified 2007 GTH in wisc at 888 867 5093 it was mine and i traded it in on a 2010 GT500

Its perfect i know because i spent 2500 on bringing it up to my perfection

ask for Melissa

its number 412

Don

Mustang Tom

Welcome to the Team Shelby forums, glad you found us. I would also like to commend you for the research you did on the board, very impressive and you're pretty much up to speed on the Hertz cars.

I believe you've made the right decision passing on this car. My two cents is the mileage is way too high for the asking price. For another grand or two you could purchase a car with half the mileage which is well worth it.

I'm not sure why ebay is dry right now as there is usually always a few Hertz cars on there but keep checking and also check AutoTrader.

Good luck with the search.

Steve

Tom,

I already own a GT-H and they are great cars no doubt. I would be a little concerned about the(hard) miles and I have checked out many others for around that cost with half the miles. If you arent looking for appreciation and can get it for the right$$$ go for it. Good Luck! #418

Too many miles in my opinion. They were rentals, so wear and tear or something to expect. The dealers or Hertz put new stripes, but like on mine they weren't even the correct color and bad quality. i just spent the last 2 days re-striping it my self. its not that hard, but not a job for a novice.

I made my final decision last night, and am going to pass. The mileage, bumper damage and the fact that at least 3 panels have been repainted were the deciding factors. Thanks to this site I've learned enough about these cars to know what to look for if any others show up in the area. I'll also keep lurking around to keep up to date.

I made my final decision last night, and am going to pass. The mileage, bumper damage and the fact that at least 3 panels have been repainted were the deciding factors. Thanks to this site I've learned enough about these cars to know what to look for if any others show up in the area. I'll also keep lurking around to keep up to date.

We need to get you in the Shelby family. Ebay is an excellent place to track GTHs as they come up for sale. Right now the pickings are slim but that will change. I would suggest doing a "favorite search" on Ebay for key words Shelby Hertz and they will send you an e-mail when new listings appear. This will also let you get a feel for pricing on cars. Once the snow melts, the "for sale" cars will come out of hibernation.

I spent yesterday browsing the Shelby store, and Latemodel Restoration websites to see how much it would cost to make a 'tribute' car from a 2006 GT vert. I was thinking of the California Special bumpers, Shelby billet insert panel, Shelby hood, light bar, no Shelby trunk script, body and rocker stripes but with no text in the rockers and 'Powered By Ford' badges on the fenders. Like I said a 'tribute', not a 'clone'.

It looks like I can get the genuine car for cheaper than a 2006 GT vert with the appearance parts paint and install. Then I'd still want to do the exhaust, intake and handling package.

They relisted the car up the street, and it's killing me! Is there anyone in the Seattle area that knows what to look for and could check it out with me? There's a Midas just down the street from the dealership, I wonder if they'd put it on the lift. I'm just to darn impatient to wait for another one to show up in the area.

OMG!!!

Look at what's sitting in my garage!!

I bought a friggin Shelby!!

It may be the highest mileage 2007 GT-H in the country, it may have been ridden hard and put away wet, it may be far from a show car - but it's mine!!

post-27612-126637880023_thumb.jpg

post-27612-126637880999_thumb.jpg

post-27612-126637880023_thumb.jpg

post-27612-126637880999_thumb.jpg

OMG!!!

It may be the highest mileage 2007 GT-H in the country, it may have been ridden hard and put away wet, it may be far from a show car - but it's mine!!

Tom,

Congrats!!!!! I was just going to post up that I could take a look at the car. We live near Lake Ballinger. So Detroit Auto Works is only 5 minutes away. Maybe this car was just meant to be for you.

Hope you got it for a decent price. We'll have to hook up with some of the other local Shelby people.

We've got 2 big events coming up this year. The Shelby meet & Greet @Grabbers in Battleground. We do a convoy of 30 Shelbys(or so) South bound on I-5. Quite the site. The other is round-up in July @Bellevue CC. It's a MunstangsNorthwest event and it is the MCA Grand National this year. Keep an eye in the regional forum(pacific US) for other events, I usually post up a few.

Welcome to the Shelby family!!! You're not excited are you?

OMG!!!

YYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After your post this morning I thought your were gonna friggin bust, you wanted it soooooooo bad. Thank goodness (mainly for your health and sanity) that you went ahead and got it done. Your are part of the great big Shelby brotherhood.

You may be at peace now.

QSS

I was having second thoughts, so I decided to google the lot. A BBB rating of 'F', and several bad comments on the web was enough to convince me that I've made the right decision to stay away from this one!

Isn't funny how a SHELBY can screw with our minds!!! I'm glad your happy and congrats

OMG!!!

Congrats!! Great Car!!! Love the DRZ too! I have a 400.

Welcome to TS, this is a great forum.

OMG!!!

Well How many miles ?

Grapepa

07gth350

OMG!!!

Congrats on the new Shelby. Just enjoy it.

OMG!!!

Tom, driven and enjoyed, is much preferable to " ridden hard and put away wet". Once you tweak it to your liking I believe you'll be very glad you bought the car, especially when you attend your first car show. Nothing much attracts as much attention as "Black and Gold". In all your glory, don't forget to register the car with Team Shelby, and ENJOY,,,, regards, Larry Miller

Thanks for all the positive energy and encouragement!

I did my first repair yesterday, one tail light replaced. I plan on getting sequential signals, but the double speed tick - tick - tick was driving me nuts so I couldn't wait. Keeping with the positive thoughts, I just consider this practice for when I swap in the sequentials. Is the American Muscle kit the preffered choice?

So far I've only driven it to the lot a couple times (hand over extra keys to trade in, etc.), and to get the tail light and 'panel popper' for the plastic plugs. I work the next 3 days from sun up to sun down wich is only a 2 mile commute each way, so Sunday will be my next chance to actually go for a 'real drive'. I haven't turned the radio on since the test drive, the car just sounds so good by itself - I can't wait to hear it with the top down! On a related note, I can find lots of posts on the Sirius radio but not much info on how long to expect it to keep working.

The car has 57k on it. So far the car idles and runs great. I'm getting used to the 'dead spot' in the pedal, and have read that it's not uncommon. You press down, but the car doesn't start to accelerate right away. I've read about how to make the car recalibrate the pedal so I'll try that. I've also left the traction control defeat clip in place so far. I've still got that feeling that it's not really my car until I make that first payment, althought I'm sure the lot will disagree.

As for the DRZ in the garage, my wife says I should keep it but I'm leaning towards selling it to use the money to pay down the loan. I have a feeling that the desire for sunny day motorcycle rides will significantly diminish with the prospect of sunny day top down drives!

So the Sirrus is still active? How can you check

To be honest, I don't even know how to work the radio yet! I just know that when I turned it on for the test drive it showed 'opera' and has a small sattelite symbol lit up, so I figured it was the Sirius. After about 2 seconds of opera music (no offence to opera fans) I pressed a couple buttons and the music style and name changed, then I turned it back off.

I did notice that the 2006 cars have an extra Sirius control on the console and mine doesn't. I don't know if it's missing, or incorporated into the radio for 2007. I figured that it must be incorporated, since it plays and let me change styles.

I should have taken the week off to get some quality time with the car!

I did notice that the 2006 cars have an extra Sirius control on the console and mine doesn't. I don't know if it's missing, or incorporated into the radio for 2007. I figured that it must be incorporated, since it plays and let me change styles.

Yes, starting in 2007, Sirius was incorporated into the radio. It was not in 06, hence the add on unit. Some people are lucky enough to still get some service, however many have lost it this year.

Yes, starting in 2007, Sirius was incorporated into the radio. It was not in 06, hence the add on unit. Some people are lucky enough to still get some service, however many have lost it this year.

I got the manual out at lunch and went through it, so now I see how it works. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the Sirius keeps working. If/when it runs out I don't think I'll renew as I don't spend enough time in the car for it to be worth it.

Going from a 6 disc CD system to a 6 disc MP3 system is going to make a huge difference by itself.

Son of a gun... I don't know how I didn't notice it when I was going over the car, but the mufflers don't match! I think the one on the left is original, although the one on the right is stamped Ford on the bottom. I didn't see the Ford logo on the right one.

I wonder what that's doing to the sound/performance? Anybody have an idea how I should fix this? I'm mad at myself that I didn't see it until now. I need to set up an appointment with a local shop to have them go over the entire car. I hope there wasn't a huge hit on the right side - that is the side with the repainted rear quarter panel.

Oh well, I'm still happy - just nervous until I get it completely checked out!

Son of a gun... I don't know how I didn't notice it when I was going over the car, but the mufflers don't match! I think the one on the left is original, although the one on the right is stamped Ford on the bottom. I didn't see the Ford logo on the right one.

Yea, bummer, but that's also part of the mystic of these cars. There's always something new to find. Can't expect a rental car with miles to be perfect. When I had my entire car repainted, we found previous damage in the right rear quarter also. You can see a bit of the area in this pic.

Paint_001.jpg

Yea, bummer, but that's also part of the mystic of these cars. There's always something new to find. Can't expect a rental car with miles to be perfect. When I had my entire car repainted, we found previous damage in the right rear quarter also. You can see a bit of the area in this pic.

Yea, it all adds to the 'character' of the car! I just made an appointment for next week to have a full service and complete checkup done. I'm excited and nervous as to what they'll find. It'll be a relief to know exactly what I've got.

P.S. I love your gallery photos with the '66!

Archived