TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Painted Rear-end on the 2011 GT500

Pockdog

not if its rusty--if your car isnt too bad yet, seal it with a rust inhibitor and clear it. I did that in June and just crwaled under the car today and,excpet for a few spots at the edge,it still looks like new

Mine was rusty when it came off the line. I got the car with 12 miles on it and Its never seen any rain and it's got 300 miles on it now and is already rusty. Maybe I will try some rust remover on it and see if i can get it cleaned up and just keep it lubed up with silicon spray, or maybe like you are saying clear it somehow.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Build date of Jan 12 2010, entire rear is painted. Got pics little bit ago but too tired to go into all that right now. will get up pics tomorrow after i do lots more driving, hopefully the police dont pull me over, i have no tags, no registration, no title :( its insured though!!!

Nic

Cool, I would love to see pics of the factroy painted housing.

Watching a video review of the 2010 GT500 motortrend did, they showed a picture of the rear end, sure enough it was painted the same way as the GT500 I saw at my local dealer. Pumpkin unpainted, parts of the axel tubes unpainted and brackets that look to be part of the suspension unpainted.

gt500rear.png

Check out the full video here

Mine is a oct production and it's not painted, the cover is lol.

I am throwing around the idea of painting it, but probably won't, 40 years down the road, I think you would want a non painted rear end if your car ws being judged.

How old are you? Unless you are in your early 30s or 20s thinking about a car being judged in 40 years is almost pointless.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is more about maintaining the pedigree of the car. I am pretty sure my 2010 GT500 will be around when I am no longer. I am bummed about the rust, mine looks exactly like the bottom picture from the Motor Trend video. I was thinking of oiling it, hoping it is flash rust and just keeping after it. Once it pits (rust is not a dormant animal) it may interfere with the gasket / rear end cover and LEAK. Food for thought...

Mine is a oct production and it's not painted, the cover is lol.

I am throwing around the idea of painting it, but probably won't, 40 years down the road, I think you would want a non painted rear end if your car ws being judged.

I just couldn't stand the fact of a brand new car with all that rust on it. I can't imagine a judge wanting that stock rusty look but I could be wrong since I've never showed cars. I took mine back to the dealer and had them prep, prime & paint axle and my brakes for $125.00. Six months later still looks like a new paint job.

My dealer went to the Chicago Auto show and I had him snap some pics of the rear end. It's painted, at least the one at the Auto Show was. Sorry, I somehow lost the pics doh.gif

So was the one at the Minneapolis Auto Show. However, it's my understanding the 2010 was painted at auto shows too though.

Side note, the car in Minneapolis did NOT have heated seats. Talked with the Ford rep there who said their car was a pre-production model and that all 2011 GT500s would have heated seats. He said he wasn't sure on the painted rear end though as he has not heard of that changing from 2010.

Either way I treat everything as hearsay until I see it in real life for sale.

• 2 months later...

Any word (or pics) on whether or not the rear end is painted for the MY2011 GT500?

UPDATE: These Pics came in tonight via pony88. He snapped them and sent them on over. Looks like the rear end is in fact painted for MY2011! victory.gif

-Pockdog

post-26242-127381600318_thumb.jpgpost-26242-127381600866_thumb.jpg

post-26242-127381600318_thumb.jpg

post-26242-127381600866_thumb.jpg

UPDATE: These Pics came in tonight via pony88. He snapped them and sent them on over. Looks like the rear end is in fact painted for MY2011! victory.gif

-Pockdog

post-26242-127381600318_thumb.jpgpost-26242-127381600866_thumb.jpg

Alright! Thanks for the heads up Pony/Pock! One less thing we have to do when the car comes in! That just means more time for waxing and :shift: .

Alright! Thanks for the heads up Pony/Pock! One less thing we have to do when the car comes in! That just means more time for waxing and :shift: .

Look at the heat dissipation fins on the diff cover. Were they like that in previous model years?

Finally. I knew Ford had this cover waiting to go on '11 models. It is very similar to the units that popped up for sale on eBay, from someone who was dumping a few development sets. He was ordered to retrieve them and IIRC, he got most of them back. There are photos of it at TS somewhere.

Tob

sorry for the bad pics, now keep in mind this is a SVT pack car. i noticed others shelbys that didnt come with svt pack doesnt have the

blue valve covers also.

There is a grey 2011 non svt package gt-500 on eBay. The pictures show the blue valve cover and the silver supercharger. I wouldn't suspect the two cars to differ on the painted rear either.

There is a grey 2011 non svt package gt-500 on eBay. The pictures show the blue valve cover and the silver supercharger. I wouldn't suspect the two cars to differ on the painted rear either.

im glad Ford listened to us--and its better than just being painted--like it!!

In the first picture it looks like there is still a bracket just above the control arm that is still rusted. Guess we can't win them all just puts in bad taste in my mouth having RUST on a brand new car....much less a $50K+ car. It's like buying a hot dog with a bite already out of it.

It appears the lower control arms are of a different design than the ones used in the 07-09; don't know whether they are the same as the 10s. Perhaps the fins on the differential cover is to address the groaning noise while make tight turns issue that some of us have encountered; I always suspected it might be heat related.

So what happens on here when people claim certain parts of their anatomy are huge?

Pics or it didn't happen rule still apply?

It only applies for females.

Everyone knows that all men are liars.

Except for me and you.

And sometimes I'm not so sure about you!

Phill

while im at work did you guys want more pics of anything? the car is only 5 feet away from me. (parked it right in front of my office)

Would you mind getting some shots of the rear headrests? From the pictures on-line I've seen they look pretty large and most had them folded down so the rear view wasn't as obstructed. Also if you can take a look at them and see if they indeed only fold down or if they are able to be removed totally from the rear seats.

Thanks for the offer!!!

Archived