TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Painted Rear-end on the 2011 GT500

Pockdog

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any word (or pics) on whether or not the rear end is painted for the MY2011 GT500?

I haven't heard a thing. I thought someone who bought a late production 2010 said their's was painted and looked great. Trouble is, I browse so many sites, I can remember where I saw it!

I haven't heard a thing. I thought someone who bought a late production 2010 said their's was painted and looked great. Trouble is, I browse so many sites, I can remember where I saw it!

I thought a while back they were going to start painting them, and even some 2010 owners were getting theirs painted because some show car was making it rounds with painted rearend, so people thought that meant they should all be painted. What ever happened to that deal?

Don't hold your breath...Ford hasn't painted the rears in Mustangs since 98 MY. Only the display cars have had painted rears from 99+. It is very doubtful that Ford will spend the extra time for the GT500's only to paint the rears. I guess we will just have to wait and see...

Alex

Don't hold your breath...Ford hasn't painted the rears in Mustangs since 98 MY. Only the display cars have had painted rears from 99+. It is very doubtful that Ford will spend the extra time for the GT500's only to paint the rears. I guess we will just have to wait and see...

Alex

About halfway through the 2010 model year ford publically stated that they where testing a painted axle. So yes they've addressed this...I suspect, but it's never been confirmed to my knowledge, that the 2011 will come with a painted axle.

Alex

My December 23rd, 2009 build MY2010 GT500 has a painted rear. Diff and complete axle are painted black. There is no rust.

just curious, is it a flat/matte finish like the wheel wells or glossy--thanks.Perhaps some pics??

I'll have to take pictures when I get home from work tonight. If I remember correctly the paint was flat black. It was one of the first things I checked when I got it home.

I'll have to take pictures when I get home from work tonight. If I remember correctly the paint was flat black. It was one of the first things I checked when I got it home.

Xjrguy,

Yes, that would be much appreciated.

I seem to recall Grabber's statement... "pics or it didn't happen..." :dance:

Thanks,

-Pockdog

Xjrguy,

Yes, that would be much appreciated.

I seem to recall Grabber's statement... "pics or it didn't happen..." :dance:

Thanks,

-Pockdog

So what happens on here when people claim certain parts of their anatomy are huge?

Pics or it didn't happen rule still apply?

Appreciate it--when i got my car in June,it was totally rust free since it was made/finished 2 days before it shipped.So i cleared it, but i can see a few spots coming thru,and ill probably paint it next,so just wanted to see what black they used.I see spme semi-gloss back there now, so Im guessing semi-gloss--thanks

My December 23rd, 2009 build MY2010 GT500 has a painted rear. Diff and complete axle are painted black. There is no rust.

My December 2nd build doesn't have painted rear. Just to help figure out when the change was made. ( After we see some pics) :lurk:

Thanks! I can't wait to see them. Maybe Ford will replace it for those of us who make issue of it.

Blown, you can go look inside your drivers side door and get the month/year is it was built. It's usually right below the door catch in the jam at least that's where it is on my 97 Cobra

Do you mean in the GVW sticker? It said 09/09. What doesn't make sense to me is if that's the day it was built, then where has it been for 4 and half months because it came into the dealer in the middle of jan.

Here are my painted diff and axle pictures.

As you can see the entire assembly is painted flat black.

Diff cover, diff housing and axle tubes.

2010 GT500 Painted Axles and Diff

It doesn't appear that they did a great job on the side of the axle tubes facing the front of the car though...whoops

You got that right.Im going to do mine in a semi-gloss to match the rest of the rear.To save the tags,in fact all the tags, just use some clear tape to cover them forever,and painters tape to mask them off on a re-spray.I m actually thinking of just brushing on some pain since that black overspray is a bear to get off.Thanks for the pics--bob

Here are my painted diff and axle pictures.

As you can see the entire assembly is painted flat black.

Diff cover, diff housing and axle tubes.

2010 GT500 Painted Axles and Diff

It doesn't appear that they did a great job on the side of the axle tubes facing the front of the car though...whoops

Thanks for the pics. It looks like the paint is coming off the one side. However, it's an improvement over the rust mess mine is.

I went to my local dealer here in northern va while I made a run to to store to pick up more food after all this snow we've had. Anyway they have a 2010 and the date on the door jam said "12/09" looked at the rear end and the diff cover itself was painted black, looked to be matte finish, the pumpkin was rust colored, the axel itself was painted but never very well but it was hard to see, finally some brakets close to the rims were also unpainted and rust colored. Other then that it ws a beauty, Kona blue with silver stripes, but has shaker 1000, I'd rather have nav. Funny how all the sales guys had not even heard of what an SVT package was, or the aluminium block, stripes, glass roof. Guess true enthusitist know more about the cars then the guys selling the car ever will.

I went to my local dealer here in northern va while I made a run to to store to pick up more food after all this snow we've had. Anyway they have a 2010 and the date on the door jam said "12/09" looked at the rear end and the diff cover itself was painted black, looked to be matte finish, the pumpkin was rust colored, the axel itself was painted but never very well but it was hard to see, finally some brakets close to the rims were also unpainted and rust colored. Other then that it ws a beauty, Kona blue with silver stripes, but has shaker 1000, I'd rather have nav. Funny how all the sales guys had not even heard of what an SVT package was, or the aluminium block, stripes, glass roof. Guess true enthusitist know more about the cars then the guys selling the car ever will.

Man thats willd--on my car the pumpkin was the only part painted--i cleared everythingelse--why would they do that?/

I bought mine at the end of jan. The axles are painted ,but the rear end housing is not. How do I know when it was built. It sat at the dealer for two weeks before I bought it at the end of Jan.

May be Ford finally listened to all those that have complained about the rusty rears.

Mine is a oct production and it's not painted, the cover is lol.

I am throwing around the idea of painting it, but probably won't, 40 years down the road, I think you would want a non painted rear end if your car ws being judged.

not if its rusty--if your car isnt too bad yet, seal it with a rust inhibitor and clear it. I did that in June and just crwaled under the car today and,excpet for a few spots at the edge,it still looks like new

Archived