TEAM SHELBY FORUM

20-25% svt pp

on the web cast ford estimates only 20-25% of buyers to opt for svt pp.i would think 75-80% would go for it.what % spent $2300 on elec pak in 2010? i hope ford has enough parts to meet the demand so the people who opt for it aren`t waiting on material hold.

Because a lot of people find the stripes and wheels unattractive. Many people will want the standard model and use it as a canvas for their own modifications.

on the web cast ford estimates only 20-25% of buyers to opt for svt pp.i would think 75-80% would go for it.what % spent $2300 on elec pak in 2010? i hope ford has enough parts to meet the demand so the people who opt for it aren`t waiting on material hold.

I think Jamal is pretty close in his prognostication. My guess is that many of us (older buyers) are not fond of having our gluteus maximus beat into a plow share by the stiffer/harsher ride comenserate with the SVTPP. It may be great and acceptable for the track oriented folks, but I chose not to order it last week as I was afraid it would be too harsh for my over-all comfort. Everyone has their own tastes but I think, generally, that the majority of people will be very satisified with the stock suspension. My 07 is stiff enough and its suspension is stock. As always, to each his own. I'm sure Ford will be ready, parts wise, to handle the orders for the SVTPP. As you can also see in the many threads, theres a lot of criticism of the wheel design and the limitations of color/ stripe choices and their narrower size.

I wonder if you could go faster and look cooler spending the 3500 on your own mods vs the SVT PP?

I am guessing the SVT PP wins out, it is engineered by SVT and is 3 seconds quicker than the standard GT500!

Looks like I just need to get a set of this R compound tires and the FR3 kit. :)

I am guessing the SVT PP wins out, it is engineered by SVT and is 3 seconds quicker than the standard GT500!

That's three seconds ON A TWO POINT THREE *MILE* track! (i.e. Laguna Seca)

That's not a lot. In fact, that could just be the difference between two different test drivers.

I wouldn't hold a lot of stock in *that* particular number.

The 0-60 and the 1/4 mile times are what you should be paying attention to IMO.

Phill Pollard

Because a lot of people find the stripes and wheels unattractive. Many people will want the standard model and use it as a canvas for their own modifications.

Nail on the head...

I had the 2011 order placed with SVT package, it was a reasonably priced option in my opinion. I cancelled it specifically because of the stripes they just don't do it for me. What sealed the deal was the wheels...they are not wider rears as I expected. I could live with the look if it was a wider factory rear tire but it is not :(

I'll spend the money on something else to make the "regular" 2011 go faster!

That's three seconds ON A TWO POINT THREE *MILE* track! (i.e. Laguna Seca)

That's not a lot. In fact, that could just be the difference between two different test drivers.

I wouldn't hold a lot of stock in *that* particular number.

The 0-60 and the 1/4 mile times are what you should be paying attention to IMO.

Phill Pollard

Please pass the bong LOL

3 seconds on that track is an eternity

You don't follow much auto racing do you?

Nail on the head...

I had the 2011 order placed with SVT package, it was a reasonably priced option in my opinion. I cancelled it specifically because of the stripes they just don't do it for me. What sealed the deal was the wheels...they are not wider rears as I expected. I could live with the look if it was a wider factory rear tire but it is not :(

I'll spend the money on something else to make the "regular" 2011 go faster!

I agree but they are lighter than the stock 19s even though it is 20"!

Also, the rears are 1/2" wider

The SVTPP is a great package... but the 'TRUTH' is the only 'Difference' IMO is the 'GEARS'.

Anyone who actually tracks the car will use BETTER & LIGHTER wheels AND Tires, as well as 'Shocks & Springs'.

If you put those same Tires on the 'non svt pp' car you will see the times get within tenths of one another.

The Factory Goodyear Supercar tires are complete CRAP! These new Good Years seem to be a good copy of the Michelin Pilot's... and Tires are EASILY 2 to 4 seconds!

If anyone read the latest CD 'Lightning Lap'... the Mustang GT with Track Pack... was FIVE SECONDS faster... with the only CHANGE BEING THE TIRES!!!

So don't read to much into the lap time... I FULLY BELIEVE it's 3 SECONDS FASTER... but I will give 2.99 of those seconds to the tires!

Dave

PS... I love the SVT Package.. .and the regular GT500... to me the 'Aluminum Block' is by far this cars BEST ATTRIBUTE!

Can't argue with any of the above and yes the SVT package is clearly a good deal.

There is just a certain swagger that the regular 500 has with the huge stripes. It changes the look of the car. At the end of the day I have to perfectly happy with the new car and not questioning what I should or should not have done. It's an image thing...and I've been wanting a 500 for 20 some odd years, ever since I saw my first one at 8 years old...it has to be perfect. I can give up the three seconds for being totally satisfied with my car.

I know you can change the stripes but I don't want to go through that fiasco, I know a guy that's been there and they still don't look quite right. I want the factory ones so at some point I can use them as a template for painted stripes.

Please pass the bong LOL

3 seconds on that track is an eternity

You don't follow much auto racing do you?

Actually, quite a bit.

Have YOU ever driven Laguna _at_speed_???

I have.

I can speak from experience. How about *you*??

Yeah, I thought so.

You don't know much about Laguna Seca, do you?

Laguna Seca is a 2.3 mile, 11-turn track. Again, a *driver* can make the difference between two cars, 3 seconds apart.

Laguna Seca is NOT the same as a NASCAR style 2 mile (plus) track where you are full out, WFO the whole way. Yes, on a NASCAR track 3 seconds a lap is HUGE. On a twisty road course, it's not nearly as big a difference. Without looking it up, I think Laguna is a 1:43-1:48 second track. So the difference between a minute 43 and a minute 46 is NOT that big.

I'd suggest you stay away from that bong. It looks like you've had too much already.

Yer welcome,

Phill Pollard

Actually, quite a bit.

I have.

Yeah, I thought so.

Laguna Seca is a 2.3 mile, 11-turn track. Again, a *driver* can make the difference between two cars, 3 seconds apart.

Laguna Seca is NOT the same as a NASCAR style 2 mile (plus) track where you are full out, WFO the whole way. Yes, on a NASCAR track 3 seconds a lap is HUGE. On a twisty road course, it's not nearly as big a difference. Without looking it up, I think Laguna is a 1:43-1:48 second track. So the difference between a minute 43 and a minute 46 is NOT that big.

I'd suggest you stay away from that bong. It looks like you've had too much already.

Yer welcome,

Phill Pollard

Phil... I'm a bit shocked, while I 'believe' you have experience driving there... do you really think they are comparing the '2010' with a rookie... and the 2011 with a pro driver? I completely believe they used a level playing field with 'driver talent'... it's just something any 'real racer' has always known... 50more HP... means nothing... 200 less pounds can even mean nothing, as long as were talking production vehicles on crappy street tires.

Any 'Racer' can tell you... Tires will make up more than almost ANY HP/Power Adder/Weight Reduction. If the tires can't do it... it just doesn't matter.

For 2012... they can put on Michelin Pilot Sports... and drop 2 more seconds.. and get everyone with a 2011 SVT Pkg car to trade up!

A 'fairer' comparison will be the 'standard' 2011 GT500 on the SAME Goodyear tires as 2010... and then you'll see the 'real difference' in the weight changes... Even put the 2010 Goodyears on the SVTPP car... and those results will come down much closer.

No hater here... VERY HAPPY with the changes for 2011!!! I'll pick one up used... I'm not for taking a $10K hit... after driving off the lot... I'll enjoy my 1,000 mile GT500 I picked up used until then! :)

Phil... I'm a bit shocked, while I 'believe' you have experience driving there... do you really think they are comparing the '2010' with a rookie... and the 2011 with a pro driver? I completely believe they used a level playing field with 'driver talent'... it's just something any 'real racer' has always known... 50more HP... means nothing... 200 less pounds can even mean nothing, as long as were talking production vehicles on crappy street tires.

Any 'Racer' can tell you... Tires will make up more than almost ANY HP/Power Adder/Weight Reduction. If the tires can't do it... it just doesn't matter.

For 2012... they can put on Michelin Pilot Sports... and drop 2 more seconds.. and get everyone with a 2011 SVT Pkg car to trade up!

A 'fairer' comparison will be the 'standard' 2011 GT500 on the SAME Goodyear tires as 2010... and then you'll see the 'real difference' in the weight changes... Even put the 2010 Goodyears on the SVTPP car... and those results will come down much closer.

No hater here... VERY HAPPY with the changes for 2011!!! I'll pick one up used... I'm not for taking a $10K hit... after driving off the lot... I'll enjoy my 1,000 mile GT500 I picked up used until then! :)

I've tried explaining the same position, all you will get is "la la la" from the fanboys.

I've tried explaining the same position, all you will get is "la la la" from the fanboys.

Maybe this will help them. Here is the link to the story on the Mustang tested for the lightning lap by Car & Driver... Look at what they wrote about what 'Just changing tires' did for the 'entire suspension/car'.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/the_lightning_lap_2009-feature/ll1_3a_2010_ford_mustang_gt_3e_3_3a13.3_page_7

The quickest entry in LL1 proved once again just how large a role tires play in performance. Our Mustang GT showed up wearing the wrong tires, so while we waited for a set of Pirelli P Zeros (part of the $1530 Track pack) to arrive, we turned a couple of educational practice laps. The Mustang was noncommittal on turn-in and floppy and floaty through the esses. Great, we thought, another flaccid pony car that doesn’t know how to turn.

Once the P Zeros arrived, though, we would have believed that the entire suspension had been overhauled. There was noticeably more grip everywhere, leading to lap times that were worlds—more than five seconds—quicker. Particularly impressive was the Mustang’s poise through the esses, where it averaged 109.4 mph, outrunning its rock-star big brother, the Shelby GT500. Indeed, despite the Shelby’s 225-hp advantage, the off-the-rack Mustang GT unceremoniously laid the smackdown on the supercharged snake, turning quicker times through sectors one, two, and four.

The Mustang impressed with its willingness to rotate, its always-great V-8 blare, and a faithful five-speed shifter. It could use more brakes—after one hard lap they start to go soft—as well as calmer steering to cut back on its darty behavior. Nonetheless, the Mustang posted the third-quickest LL1 time ever, bettering the previous Mustang GT by nearly eight seconds and usurping some notable LL2 cars from 2008, including the Audi S5 and the BMW 135i. Not bad for a solid-rear-axle pony car.

Peace,

Dave

We are trying to make the decision, wife said go for it if you want it , "it sounds like a good deal considering all the mods" , my biggest concern is it may make a vert too stiff...........it is not getting to the drag strip. It will tour, get ice cream, drive alot of mountain roads, lots of highway miles ,but there has to be a line between sporty tourer and too stiff..............how would you describe your cars after suspension mods? How about the KR owners, how confortable are these cars for day trips?

What would purchasing a 3.73 from ford and installing it cost?

What would a suspension similar to the svt cost to purchase and install?

If they are aftermarket add ons, would they be considered in the nada as the svt package?

We are trying to make the decision, wife said go for it if you want it , "it sounds like a good deal considering all the mods" , my biggest concern is it may make a vert too stiff...........it is not getting to the drag strip. It will tour, get ice cream, drive alot of mountain roads, lots of highway miles ,but there has to be a line between sporty tourer and too stiff..............how would you describe your cars after suspension mods? How about the KR owners, how confortable are these cars for day trips?

What would purchasing a 3.73 from ford and installing it cost?

What would a suspension similar to the svt cost to purchase and install?

If they are aftermarket add ons, would they be considered in the nada as the svt package?

If you don't like to Mod your cars... DEFINITELY buy the SVTPP, I think the VALUE is GREAT for those that don't want to spend money on Shocks, Springs, Wheels & Tires.

And 3.73's are probably perfect for these cars anyways!

Enjoy!

Dave

Actually, quite a bit.

I have.

Yeah, I thought so.

Yer welcome,

Phill Pollard

Thank you for your life history. I apologize, because I was wrong but

3 seconds is still an eternity

I agree with above, it is 99% the tires

that rear end ratio is probably contributing to improved acceleration from turn to turn.........technincally it would make it seem that the entire trans has shorter gears.............can't beat sticky rubber however.

Switching from used practice hoosier dot tires to fresh ones for the qualifiying session is good for 1 to 1.5 sec. on the same car. 3 sec on a road course in like chassis is a huge margin........with similarly skilled drivers offcourse.

I should be picking my 2010 up next week. If the SVTPP had been available, I would not have ordered it. It looks an awful lot like a track pack, not a drag pack. In my case, I'm only interested in straight line performance.

Thank you for your life history. I apologize, because I was wrong but

3 seconds is still an eternity

I agree with above, it is 99% the tires

Okay, so you are basically saying that if I put the same tires on my 2010 GT500 that the 2011 GT500 has on it, I'll pick up 2.7 seconds on Laguna Seca?

I disagree. I'll leave it at that, but I disagree.

I *do* agree that with a *race* car on Laguna Seca, 3 seconds per lap is going to kill you. I'm talking about a Indy car type race car, or a Moto GP bike....

But we aren't talking about a RACE car.

We are talking about a factory, STOCK, *Street* car. Dead stock. Not modified for track use in any way.

Sure, if you're looking at 1:43 lap times, 3 seconds will get you lapped in about 30 laps. Hell, most races at Laguna Seca aren't even that long!

But if you're talking about 5 minute lap times, 3 seconds ain't squat. It would take *100* laps to get lapped.

Now I don't know what the lap time were on the 2011 GT500 (and I *know* it wasn't 5 mins) but I can assure you, they were NO WHERE close to what the Indy cars turn.

So I stand by my original statement. 3 seconds a lap isn't all *that* much (with a Shelby GT500 MUSTANG).

Let's put this into perspective guys. We are talking about a factory stock MUSTANG. You can try to convince yourself all you want that it's a "Supercar" but the fact is, it is *not*. It is not some exotic track car with headlights on it to allow it to drive on the street...it is a MUSTANG.

In MY opinion, the only way to give a apples to apples comparison between the 2010 and 2011 GT500, is to have them both there on the same say with the same driver taking laps.

THEN you will have some resemblence of a direct comparison.

They did not do that. They tested two different cars at two different times (what, one year apart?) and I *assume* with two different drivers. Were track temps the same? Was ambient air temp the same? Was the time of day the same? Was the track condition the same? Was the driver the same?

No on all counts.

Oh, and I'll bet a car mfgr. has *never* bent the truth a little, for the sake of selling cars....NOPE, never happens.

Your ball,

Phill Pollard

Phil... I'm a bit shocked, while I 'believe' you have experience driving there... do you really think they are comparing the '2010' with a rookie...

No, I don't. Please see my other reply as to apples/oranges and the type of car being tested.

I hate explaining myself, more so if it's twice.

But thanks for your *civil* reply,

Phill

I should be picking my 2010 up next week. If the SVTPP had been available, I would not have ordered it. It looks an awful lot like a track pack, not a drag pack. In my case, I'm only interested in straight line performance.

You are probably correct..........the additional rear traction from the new tires and rear end will help straight line performance, but you can add those to the 2010.

Okay, so you are basically saying that if I put the same tires on my 2010 GT500 that the 2011 GT500 has on it, I'll pick up 2.7 seconds on Laguna Seca?

I disagree. I'll leave it at that, but I disagree.

Your ball,

Phill Pollard

Phil, maybe you missed this post: Car & Driver did EXACTLY that... 'changed ONLY Tires' same day... same car... same track... and dropped MORE THAN 5 SECONDS! Check out the link below:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/the_lightning_lap_2009-feature/ll1_3a_2010_ford_mustang_gt_3e_3_3a13.3_page_7

The quickest entry in LL1 proved once again just how large a role tires play in performance. Our Mustang GT showed up wearing the wrong tires, so while we waited for a set of Pirelli P Zeros (part of the $1530 Track pack) to arrive, we turned a couple of educational practice laps. The Mustang was noncommittal on turn-in and floppy and floaty through the esses. Great, we thought, another flaccid pony car that doesn’t know how to turn.

Once the P Zeros arrived, though, we would have believed that the entire suspension had been overhauled. There was noticeably more grip everywhere, leading to lap times that were worlds—more than five seconds—quicker. Particularly impressive was the Mustang’s poise through the esses, where it averaged 109.4 mph, outrunning its rock-star big brother, the Shelby GT500. Indeed, despite the Shelby’s 225-hp advantage, the off-the-rack Mustang GT unceremoniously laid the smackdown on the supercharged snake, turning quicker times through sectors one, two, and four.

The Mustang impressed with its willingness to rotate, its always-great V-8 blare, and a faithful five-speed shifter. It could use more brakes—after one hard lap they start to go soft—as well as calmer steering to cut back on its darty behavior. Nonetheless, the Mustang posted the third-quickest LL1 time ever, bettering the previous Mustang GT by nearly eight seconds and usurping some notable LL2 cars from 2008, including the Audi S5 and the BMW 135i. Not bad for a solid-rear-axle pony car.

Peace,

Dave

You are probably correct..........the additional rear traction from the new tires and rear end will help straight line performance, but you can add those to the 2010.

IIRC, the 0-60 mph and 1/4 mi. ET/MPH was already posted and was predictable.

I *think* it was a tenth quicker on 0-60 and two tenths in the quarter.

It's posted somewhere on TS but I CRS so I'm not sure where.

Phill

Archived