TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cage time!!

jared@lethal

Well the time has come. Not only to become safe, but legal. We're having an 8.50 certified cage put in the car. Fully custom built by a good friend of ours. I dropped the car off this afternoon and Dave sent me this to my phone towards the end of the day. Although scary to see it's just another step we need to take towards our 8 sec pass with the stock 6 speed. I'll be sure to continue posting pics and updates on how the car is coming along.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

Just wanted to add that the cage is being done by UPR's cheif welder David Dodge located in West Palm Beach, FL not in Xianq Hai China.. LOL

Is he a NHRA Certified welder?

You said "legal"....

Phill Pollard

Progressing along nicely. Some very nice welds there, always heard they should look like a roll of nickles one on top of the other.

I'm not totally familar with the NHRA rules but are the door bars allowed to be swing out? Or must they be fixed, should be interesting getting in and out.

I believe swingouts may be allowed however we decided against them. Can't wait to see the car myself and post some more pics.

Certified

Wow. NICE JOB!

My original question was in regards to your welder being NHRA certified or not and that was to lead up to this...

What was the process to get it certified? How "extensive" (intrusive?) was it?

He no doubt knows how to weld *right* and I can say that from the perspective of a experienced welder.

I'm *really* impressed with how the bars go through the interior parts (kick panels, package tray, etc.).

Again, NICE job,

Phill Pollard

Wow. NICE JOB!

My original question was in regards to your welder being NHRA certified or not and that was to lead up to this...

What was the process to get it certified? How "extensive" (intrusive?) was it?

He no doubt knows how to weld *right* and I can say that from the perspective of a experienced welder.

I'm *really* impressed with how the bars go through the interior parts (kick panels, package tray, etc.).

Again, NICE job,

Phill Pollard

Phil,

The NHRA inspector came to where the cage was installed this morning where he met with me and David Dodge the fabricator. It was $235.00 for the inspection. It took less than 20 minutes. He just poked around a bit, asked a few questions, measured the thickness of the bars and gave us a pass. It was easy as can be.

Thanks a bunch as well. We're very impressed with the work that Dave did. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to any one of my customers or friends.

Jared

Archived