TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Car lifts

Craigo

Hey everyone, looking at getting a car lift for the garage. Looked at Backyard Buddy and a local lift, TEC-7000i. Anyone have a lift or know a bit about them? I would love any input! Thanks CraigI have a rotary 9000 lb 2 post it is a great lift same lift new car dealers have 428cj

no kidding :hysterical3:

oops did not see the Alberta plates everyone get a lift. I think King Ralf passed that law before he retired.:hysterical:

Lol, I wish Ol' Ralph was still in charge!! Oilberta!!

But seriously, if you are getting a lift make sure to check out the bendpak website...

I have a Bendpak HD9 and I love it... Built super solid and has air powered safety locks...

+1 I have the same lift as well. Very nicely built with top safety features. I removed the stock ramps and use a pair of race ramps to get on and off the lift.

DSC_0735.jpg

DSC_0737.jpg

Using lifts everyday i chose the rotary 9000lb asymetrical,it's the best on the market .Whatever you choose,be sure you get good customer service and parts availability .I know guys that have gotten burned on what they thought was a good deal on a cheaper lift.

+1 I have the same lift as well. Very nicely built with top safety features. I removed the stock ramps and use a pair of race ramps to get on and off the lift.

DSC_0735.jpg

DSC_0737.jpg

I sure like your garage, tons of floorspace and height!!

I was all slated to do a nice garage renovation with a lift but, decided against it. Reason being, I only plan to be in this house for another 12yrs max. Have a piece of property in NC that i'll be building on. I plan on a 3-4 car garage with a lift.

I sure like your garage, tons of floorspace and height!!

Thanks OCD. It's a 34'x40' metal pole building with 14' walls and two 12x12 doors. Those were some old pics from last winter. Here are some updated shots of my man cave. I don't seem to have any problem filling it up. lol

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

Thanks OCD. It's a 34'x40' metal pole building with 14' walls and two 12x12 doors. Those were some old pics from last winter. Here are some updated shots of my man cave. I don't seem to have any problem filling it up. lol

OMG, beautiful!! Great idea with the park smart pad!! Deadly set up bud!! Is your lift bolted to the ground? What does metal pole building mean? Is that foam insulation along the walls? What does the outside look like? It sure is cool looking...

OMG, beautiful!! Great idea with the park smart pad!! Deadly set up bud!! Is your lift bolted to the ground? What does metal pole building mean? Is that foam insulation along the walls? What does the outside look like? It sure is cool looking...

I have a K&W that was built in Kansas. I bought it about 8 years ago and love it. I don't think they are in business anymore as I heard they copied another manufacturers design and were forced to close. What I like about mine is the arms completely enclose the 4" post on all 4 sides as it goes up and down instead of one side of the post open with the locking dogs inside of it. There is still someone out there making them this way but I can't remember who. As for the bolting down I didn't for two reasons-one is that I have a set of wheels for mine and occasionally move it and second when I did all my research a lot of manufacturers said that the legs will tend to "walk" as it goes up and down and if they were bolted down a bind could occur. I'm not saying it will move across floor but they will wiggle a little.

Sorry about the picture quality as this is an old pic with my son and wife's old Mustangs before she got the GT500.

post-11181-12658232207_thumb.jpg

post-11181-12658232207_thumb.jpg

Using lifts everyday i chose the rotary 9000lb asymetrical,it's the best on the market .Whatever you choose,be sure you get good customer service and parts availability .I know guys that have gotten burned on what they thought was a good deal on a cheaper lift.

Bendpak?

I have a K&W that was built in Kansas. I bought it about 8 years ago and love it. I don't think they are in business anymore as I heard they copied another manufacturers design and were forced to close. What I like about mine is the arms completely enclose the 4" post on all 4 sides as it goes up and down instead of one side of the post open with the locking dogs inside of it. There is still someone out there making them this way but I can't remember who. As for the bolting down I didn't for two reasons-one is that I have a set of wheels for mine and occasionally move it and second when I did all my research a lot of manufacturers said that the legs will tend to "walk" as it goes up and down and if they were bolted down a bind could occur. I'm not saying it will move across floor but they will wiggle a little.

Sorry about the picture quality as this is an old pic with my son and wife's old Mustangs before she got the GT500.

The "backyard buddy" is like that also. What's that car under the lift?

Bendpak?

Their drive on rack seems to be quite adequate for personal use.If you have a hoist dealer/installer in your area talk to them about your requirements and they will give you the ins and outs of each.Know what your getting with it also as accesories such as lifting jacks on a drive on type rack tend to be pricey.My dealer sells many brands and offered me a rotary at the same price as a cheaper one and if i ever had a problem he's there to fix it even although iv'e never had any problems.I guess my point is that i've seen problems with catalog ordered lifts where when a part failed, getting it warranteed and repaired turned into a real circle jerk for the buyer.If a dealer sells a less expensive brand and reccomends it go for it! Just remember not to buy on price alone, there's 2 ton suspended above your head and your life is worth way more.

The lift is not bolted down but works fine. You can buy wheels for the lift that allow you to move it around if you want. They even show moving a car around on the lift with wheels.

The building is a wood structure based on planting these large wood posts in the ground. Then adding 2x6's on edge between the posts. Then large truses are used for the roof. You can see this in the pics. The roof and sides are sheet metal just like metal for roofs. The cost was reasonable at the time I had it built but the cost of metal siding/roofing has gone up since. I have a minimal fiberglass insulation package on right now but plan on framing it out so I can add full insulation and sheetrock. I also insulated under the floor and have radiant tubing in the floor. I am just using a unit heater for now but will turn on the radiant floor heat when the full insulation is installed.

DSC_0509.jpg

I have a Back Yard buddy and a Direct Lift Propark 8S. Both are great. I like the Direct lift better because it goes up much higher and it is much less money. I have a 11'6" ceiling height. I put my Shelby on top and my 48 Ford Woody Wagon under it for the winter. The back yard buddy does not go up nearly high enough to do this. If you have the ceiling height get a lift that goes up high. You will like it when you are doing maintenance (oil change, cleaning under the car, etc.).

Thanks Guys Nice looking garages... I have seen a few nice ones and a lot or cheap stuff out there. Did you guys set them up yourself?

Hey Craigo I did install it myself. I had to rent a bobcat to unload it off the truck. I was hoping to rent a forklift but one was not available. The install was not bad but it does take some time and the ramps are heavy. I used a pulley to the roof to install the cross beams into the legs on each end. I used an engine puller type lift with wheels to install the ramps onto the cross beams. The ramps weigh about 350 lbs each so you need something to lift them. You need a friend to help during these parts but the rest can be done yourself.

The "backyard buddy" is like that also. What's that car under the lift?

There are actually 2 cars under the lift. My son and daughter's SuperComp rear engine dragsters. Both are BBC powered making around a thousand horsepower each. Under the cover was my son's 2001 Mustang we were storing while he was off to the Navy which he has since upgraded to a Lightining with a custom built 5.4 making about 650 horses and a 2001 Mustang GT with a 500 horse 4.8. The red Mustang was my wife's which she sold to buy the 2007 GT500 which has since been upgraded to a SuperSnake. You could say we have a sort of horsepower fetish.

Hey Craigo I did install it myself. I had to rent a bobcat to unload it off the truck. I was hoping to rent a forklift but one was not available. The install was not bad but it does take some time and the ramps are heavy. I used a pulley to the roof to install the cross beams into the legs on each end. I used an engine puller type lift with wheels to install the ramps onto the cross beams. The ramps weigh about 350 lbs each so you need something to lift them. You need a friend to help during these parts but the rest can be done yourself.

I picked mine up from the trucking depot, they loaded it on the trailer for me but I unloaded it part by part with some friends...

DSC00914.JPG

I then called Bendpak and asked who did their service work in my area, then I hired them to come put it together... I know my limits!!

DSC00943.JPG

It took the two guys 3 hrs to build it... He said they have built about 35 of the same ones... Cost me 5 hun.... He said to call him and he would come by every 6 months and inspect it for free...

The Bendpak people were great to deal with.... Awesome customer service...

Slabo, you da man for building it yourself... Hats off to you!! One can tell by your pics that you take great pride in ownership and have madd skillz!!

Slabo, you da man for building it yourself... Hats off to you!! One can tell by your pics that you take great pride in ownership and have madd skillz!!

Well you are very kind OCD. I think standing there with a cup of coffee while the lift is installed sounds like a real nice way to go. :reading: It was just another of my "test of the marriage" projects as my wife calls them. :lol: When we were having the shop built I planned on installing the radiant tubing myself. Well I ended up braking my collar bone skiing and guess who installed the tubing. Yup my wife. She's a keeper. :wub:

BTW Your garage looks good with the finished floor and painted out. Clean look!

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

Un-freekin-believable! That is the most awesome garage I've ever seen. Congrats!!!!

Slabo,

Awesome garage my man. You make a lot of men envious !!

This is without a doubt the best garage I ever personally set foot in.

My Focus was there for an oil change.

garage4.jpg

garage1.jpg

garage3o.jpg

garage2ov.jpg

This garage has (2) lifts. A drive on lift, which stores the GTO, and a twin post lift. It has heat, TV, fridge, slop sink, and a cigar humidor. What more can man ask for? .....lol

I totally agree with this. I have a Rotary A-symetrical two post and also have a direct lift four post. If you do a lot of your own work on cars, the two post is the only way to go. A four post is good for storage and general maintenance etc, but for larger jobs, go two post. You can still have under car storage with a two post also.

Slabo,

Awesome garage my man. You make a lot of men envious !!

This is without a doubt the best garage I ever personally set foot in.

My Focus was there for an oil change.

This garage has (2) lifts. A drive on lift, which stores the GTO, and a twin post lift. It has heat, TV, fridge, slop sink, and a cigar humidor. What more can man ask for? .....lol

Thanks FiaCobra. That is an awesome garage! I would love to have a 2 post lift as well. My neighbor and good friend has a shop that big. His even has a loft with living space for guests. Our kids play basketball in the main section of his in the winter. He is not a car guy however so no lifts or anything. It does have an amazing woodshop however.

I do think I am going to add a car port on the side of mine so I can park my boat out of the weather and free up more space for toys.

Archived