TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 vs 2010 GT500

bpmurr

Now that we know the full details about the 2011. Do you think it's worthwhile for a 2010 owner to switch over to one. It looks like it might be a better choice for vert owners given they brought performance in line with the coupe. What do you all think? I'm on the fence...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like you mention it might be more of a benifit for those that love the Vert and have a 2010 to trade for a 2011. I'm not sure any of us would use the car to it's full potential to noticed a huge difference between the 120 pound loss. Only time will tell how well the Ford devoloped Plasma Transferred Wire Arc (PTWA) process will hold up to high horsepower abuse.

I'd say unless you were in love with a certain color combo new for 2011 or have to have the SVT package it's best to keep your 2010, it's a beauty.

Now that we know the full details about the 2011. Do you think it's worthwhile for a 2010 owner to switch over to one. It looks like it might be a better choice for vert owners given they brought performance in line with the coupe. What do you all think? I'm on the fence...

"Switching" over would mean eating a $10k loss on your 10'. Are the upgrades worth $10,000? No way in my opinion.

"Switching" over would mean eating a $10k loss on your 10'. Are the upgrades worth $10,000? No way in my opinion.

Hmm, let's see:

Aluminum block and 10 hp more. How much would *that* cost a '10 owner?

FRPP "Ford Blue" cam covers *with* the Romeo Engine builders tag on it. How much would *that* cost a '10 owner? (Covers are ~$350.oo. The tag? PRICELESS)

Electric steering? How much will (can?) *that* cost a '10 owner?

Lowering the car with FRPP springs? Hmm, what, about another $350.oo?

Better shocks & stuts? I'd go with the complete FRPP Handling Package for just under $1700,00 so knock the 350 off I noted above.

20" rear SVT wheels/tires? I"m sure they will be available from FoMoCo in the near future so they're not like KR or SS wheels that can't be got. Add them and a set of 19" front SVT wheels/tires and you probably have a couple grand total.

The way *I* see it, yeah, if you wanted all of those 'upgrades' they would be worth right around 10 grand.

Gladly, I DO NOT (want them)!

Oh sure, I'd *love* to have the Aluminium engine and the Ford Blue cam covers but not at that cost.

I *will* have the Blue covers but I won't get the build tag with them.

I *will* have the FRPP Hangling Package which in my mind is *better* than the SVT package they're offering (I noted NO adjustment on the top of the strut rod).

All in all, I'm *very* glad I bought my 2010. It'll just cost me a few more bucks to get the mods I want, they way I want them.

Which by the way, would cost me the same if I waited for a 2011! All in all, *I* would not trade my 2010 in on a 2011 MY. But that's just me.

Interesting side note: I see the supercharger is a natural finish vs. the black wrinkle in the past.

There is a 'take-off" supercharger on e-bay right now in the natural finish and the buyer description says it has 500 miles as mandated by Ford for break-in reasons. HMMMMM, I wonder if this guy got one of the proto 2011 SC's somehow because the *only* other Ford SC with natural (aluminium) finish on it I've seen is on the "one off" Patriot version.

I wonder....

Phill

Plasma spray versus the cast iron block??? Sounds like to ol' slick 50 ads. I'm glad I got a 10.

See my other post. It will be *very* expensive if you so much as score a cylinder wall with a particle of dirt/sand.

No rebore on coated cylinders, it's "replace" (the entire block).

Unless Ford comes out with a reman program like some others have done. They're the only ones with the technology and tooling to spray a bore so they're the only ones that could *possibly* repair a damaged cylinder.

AND, it's a "first year" technology. History tells us NOT to buy first year tech. Too many bugs arise and get fixed in the proceeding years.

Phill

If you didn't already own one, then yes. If you are a hardcore, light weight, tech driven, driving addict, and can afford to take the loss, then I say go for it. 120lbs lighter (In the front no less), better balance, more hosepower, better revs (More available torque, and Hp through longer rpm cycles). It makes a fairly good case. The question is can you afford the cost or can you justify it to yourself?

If you are like me I think you would prefer to keep the one you have and find a way to get the aluminum block after it has been on the road some more with the new changes.

Won't you be asking the same question when the 2012's come out???? How about when that gen shows up with IRS or 560hp...570hp...600hp? The PC industry has the incremental upgrades down to a perfect science. I know it can be hard to resist the urge to have the newest and greatest, but it's a very expensive game to play. Most of us have to get off that road at some point. For me, it's more about the memories in the car that you have, not having the latest and greatest.

But on the flip side...paying top dollar for the latest and greatest is what keeps Ford in business...it's still a free country. Your choice.

Won't you be asking the same question when the 2012's come out???? How about when that gen shows up with IRS or 560hp...570hp...600hp? The PC industry has the incremental upgrades down to a perfect science. I know it can be hard to resist the urge to have the newest and greatest, but it's a very expensive game to play. Most of us have to get off that road at some point. For me, it's more about the memories in the car that you have, not having the latest and greatest.

But on the flip side...paying top dollar for the latest and greatest is what keeps Ford in business...it's still a free country. Your choice.

It's not a given the 2012 will change. Wasn't the GT500 the same from 07 to 09?

I don't think it's worth it bc of the change in the engine. I'd hate to have to replace the block bc I scratched a piston sleeve. I do like the increased cooling, upgrades to the convertible and the better exhaust flow. 102llbs lighter I doubt will be noticeable unless your a professional racer, still a nice touch. Nice to have the option for the 20's. If you traded in the 2010 you'd probably lose about 5-8k and still have to pay for the higher sticker price on the 2011. I don't believe it's worth it for the slight improvements if you own a 2010.

Exactly, you don't know. Maybe that perfect new color, wheels or the SVT package rolls into the base GT500. But I know some would argue not to buy the first year of the motor. That alone could be a reason to wait until 2012...but then...what will 2013 have? You can't stay on the fence forever...and once you do leap...try not to look back...

I for one would keep the 2010 a few years and then see what is available. Maybe the SVT package will come with "fatter" than normal stripes. happy%20feet.gif

What do you really care what other people think about a personal decision? Keep in mind that SOME people will poo-poo an idea for their own personal reasons, and in the end, the decision to make the change is yours and only yours to make.

You must consider that some (NOT all) people MAY crap on your idea solely based on jealousy, because they deep down want to make the change that you are proposing, but because they can't financally or for other reasons, they will tell you that it's a bad idea. They are frustrated at today's news about the 2011 model, and as a result, some will make a conscious or subconscious effort to tell you it's a bad idea because if they can't do it, then in their mind no one should do it.

The question is, what do you want to do? I believe that you do want to make the change or you would not have brought the subject up in the first place.

Crunch the numbers, and if they work for you, then do what you feel is right.

And don't be concerned about what changes will happen to the 2012 MY 500.

That's just my opinion of course.

I'd agree with 2010 most likely not change much given that 2014 is just around the corner and the 50th anniversary of the Mustang. I'd think they'd have a revision in mind to celebrate, if it would be from V6-GT500 I don't know. I do know I'm very excited about the direction Ford has taken the Mustang line up, more power from 300+ V6 to 400+ GT and now 550 GT500 along with changes like electric steering and spray cylinder heads. Right on FORD!!!

It's funny I started this thread and I just got a call from my friends wife. My car is over at my friends multi-million dollar house in his garage. They had a guy come look at the house which is for sale. He didn't want the house but wants to buy my car. lol If I could break even on the car would it be worth switching? I'm waiting to hear back from the guy.

It's funny I started this thread and I just got a call from my friends wife. My car is over at my friends multi-million dollar house in his garage. They had a guy come look at the house which is for sale. He didn't want the house but wants to buy my car. lol If I could break even on the car would it be worth switching? I'm waiting to hear back from the guy.

Yes do it.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

Yes do it.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

Only if it makes sense. There are other reason's not to do it. I'm weighing the fact that this new motor is using a new process for strengthening it. I'm worried about long term performance. It would suck to turn around and find out we have a situation where this new motor doesn't hold up as well as the old one. I realize Ford has tested the new motor but nothing can compare to the work tuners have done with the old motor.

Hm...

Since you seem to have no aversions to spending another $10,000:

1. Keep 2010 and spend $10,000 modding it. Perhaps some Griggs parts and a TVS.

2. Stock 2011.

Tough choice. Not.

You're not following me. I just got a call today about someone interested in buying my car. A rich guy with probably more money than sense. If for some reason I can break even than it might be worthwhile. (Honestly, I'm just confused) Losing $10k isn't an option. I'll keep it and keep modding it if that ends up being the case.

You're not following me. I just got a call today about someone interested in buying my car. A rich guy with probably more money than sense. If for some reason I can break even than it might be worthwhile. (Honestly, I'm just confused) Losing $10k isn't an option. I'll keep it and keep modding it if that ends up being the case.

If you can break even my impulsive side says do it. That being said, unless the rich guy gives you what you paid for the car out the door plus another 3k for the '11 I don't see how you're going to break even. Good luck....

If you can break even my impulsive side says do it. That being said, unless the rich guy gives you what you paid for the car out the door plus another 3k for the '11 I don't see how you're going to break even. Good luck....

Remember their isn't a $3k difference in reality. It's only like $800 bucks. Remember the 2011 already has HID and the GG tax on the 2010 also eats some of that difference up.

Remember their isn't a $3k difference in reality. It's only like $800 bucks. Remember the 2011 already has HID and the GG tax on the 2010 also eats some of that difference up.

If your state has sales tax, don't forget to factor that in. You'd lose the tax you paid on the original car and owe the tax on the new car. In my state that would be $7000 on two $50,000 cars.

2011 is definitely lighter, stronger, and faster... but what will 2012 hold... '13...'14, etc. You'll be chasing cars forever and losing your a$$ in your pursuit of auto-utopia. I know from past experience... I'd say be happy with what you got. Some simple mods, i.e., pulley and tune, and you'll easily surpass the 2011 hp gains... tweak your suspension... add bigger wheels (if this is your desire)... and you're there... and a lot cheaper than 10K. Plus you get to keep the look of the 2011 and forgo those ugly thin stripes- What was Ford thinking???

You sound like me when I was thinking of buying the '10. Give yourself some time you'll talk yourself into it :hysterical:

For me personally, it wouldn't make sense from a performance or financial standpoint. I can't imagine the car being any more "fun" to drive than my 2010. I'm not a hardcore race guy or such...so these little improvements wouldn't be noticeable to me in my driving habits. And I'm quite honestly not that wealthy that I could take a hit of more debt to pay off.

So I'll be driving my 2010 for as long as I can! :-)

I'm a big fan of the changes for 2011... BUT... i have ONE question... when are they going to give it rear brakes to match the Front?

Especially if the 'rumors' are true that the 5.0 has a track package version that allows for Brembo's front AND Rear! (If that's true...) how do you not offer the same option for the GT500?

I think Ford is doing GREAT right now! Less weight, more Power! I love it!

(But give us some brakes in the rear to help haul this beast down!)

Peace,

Dave

Archived