TEAM SHELBY FORUM

super cars

Are our gt 500s super cars or do you have to have a price tag of 100k or more to be in that league.

They are most certainly muscle cars. In the 60s muscle cars were sometimes referred to as super cars. American Motors even put out a model called the Hurst SC/Rambler - the SC stood for super car.

Anyway, if you have to prove that your are driving a super car, just show 'em what it says on your tires. happy%20feet.gifsmile.gif

<edit> Found THIS </edit>

before the ZR1, the Z06 to me was a super car...and I so loved sitting at a cruise night with 3 or 4 vettes parked and people walking by the "super cars" to look at, take pics of and ask for a ride in my little 'ol Shelby.

Super car or not, I'll keep it.

Guest markham51

Are our gt 500s super cars or do you have to have a price tag of 100k or more to be in that league.

This article provides some interesting arguments for and against.

Personally i reserve the term for the high end exotics...200k or more kind of thing. I think of Shelbys as Muscle Cars because they are dervied from the moderately priced Mustang, unlike a Lamborgini or Ferrari. That doesnt in my eyes make it less desirable or fun, just a different "breed".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar

Personally i reserve the term for the high end exotics...200k or more kind of thing. I think of Shelbys as Muscle Cars because they are dervied from the moderately priced Mustang, unlike a Lamborgini or Ferrari. That doesnt in my eyes make it less desirable or fun, just a different "breed".

Haha markham, check out post number two. Great minds. :)

My opinion is that we have the basis for our own individual SuperCars via the Shelby GT500 and modifications--it wasn't long ago that 500hp (stock from factory) was not even near our reach for this price! If money is all you need to fall in to that category then you can keep the supercar title and let the rich kids buy what they want. If you can purchase a stock GT500 (great start right there!) and then add an additional $10k-$35k as per your own personal setup desires .... then you can have a valid supercar as you will match or beat anything that costs 3-4 times more with the satisfaction of having "prepped your own supercar". My favorite supercar store bought would be the Ford GTX1 if I had the money. Meantime, go eat a Porsche, Beemer or Merc with a Griggs suspension kit, TVS/Whipple/KB SC, Revan/Shelby heat exchangers and some better brakes. And I can still take the kids to school in the morning on the way to the office.... try that in a Lambo, Ferrari, or Maserati with no rear view capability and hugely expensive maintenance costs!

My opinion is that we have the basis for our own individual SuperCars via the Shelby GT500 and modifications--it wasn't long ago that 500hp (stock from factory) was not even near our reach for this price! If money is all you need to fall in to that category then you can keep the supercar title and let the rich kids buy what they want. If you can purchase a stock GT500 (great start right there!) and then add an additional $10k-$35k as per your own personal setup desires .... then you can have a valid supercar as you will match or beat anything that costs 3-4 times more with the satisfaction of having "prepped your own supercar". My favorite supercar store bought would be the Ford GTX1 if I had the money. Meantime, go eat a Porsche, Beemer or Merc with a Griggs suspension kit, TVS/Whipple/KB SC, Revan/Shelby heat exchangers and some better brakes. And I can still take the kids to school in the morning on the way to the office.... try that in a Lambo, Ferrari, or Maserati with no rear view capability and hugely expensive maintenance costs!

Exactly, the potential of the GT500 is outstanding. 10k thrown at it and you can have a 700 hp Shelby with a Griggs suspension. What does 10k do to a Porsche or better yet a Ferrari? How about 30 hp and a tune. I think the GT500 is the most economical super car available.

most DD cars can see my tailights well....DRIVE em guys.....

Archived