TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Got A Flat Today

09KR0058

Went to a friend's house today, and when I went to leave, I had a low tire pressure warning. Sure enough, the right rear tire was flat. Got out the inflator, followed the directions (clear hose first, bring up to 32lbs, drive for 4 miles, recheck pressure, which was at 30, topped it off using the black hose to 32) and drove home at 50mph. Doing that on the interstate was painful! Everyone passing me and I'm sure wondering why that guy in the KR was going so slow.

Now, according to the manual, I need to take the tire to my dealer so they can replace the sensor. There is a very small screw in the middle of the treads. Does anyone see a problem with getting the tire plugged? Lots of tread left, with about 12,000 miles on the tires. Also, what about all that latex stuff now in the tire? Has it hardened now? Would the dealer clean that stuff out? Obviously, I'm pretty nervous about the dealer messing with these KR wheels, other than the rotations I get done every 2500 miles.

Also, what is involved in replacing the latex canister/hose on the inflator? Do I just get that assembly from the parts guys?

And I just realized that the KR does not come with a jack. I have a floor jack, but its too big to get under the car. Guess I'll have to go buy a scissor jack. I found the sticky thread here about the jack points on the S197. Anything different about jacking a KR?

Thanks

Went to a friend's house today, and when I went to leave, I had a low tire pressure warning. Sure enough, the right rear tire was flat. Got out the inflator, followed the directions (clear hose first, bring up to 32lbs, drive for 4 miles, recheck pressure, which was at 30, topped it off using the black hose to 32) and drove home at 50mph. Doing that on the interstate was painful! Everyone passing me and I'm sure wondering why that guy in the KR was going so slow.

Now, according to the manual, I need to take the tire to my dealer so they can replace the sensor. There is a very small screw in the middle of the treads. Does anyone see a problem with getting the tire plugged? Lots of tread left, with about 12,000 miles on the tires. Also, what about all that latex stuff now in the tire? Has it hardened now? Would the dealer clean that stuff out? Obviously, I'm pretty nervous about the dealer messing with these KR wheels, other than the rotations I get done every 2500 miles.

Also, what is involved in replacing the latex canister/hose on the inflator? Do I just get that assembly from the parts guys?

And I just realized that the KR does not come with a jack. I have a floor jack, but its too big to get under the car. Guess I'll have to go buy a scissor jack. I found the sticky thread here about the jack points on the S197. Anything different about jacking a KR?

Thanks

I am not a tire expert but I believe plugging the tire could disturb the steel and nylon cords which play a vital part in the tires support structure. Damage to these could eventually cause a failure. Plugs can come out if not done properly as well. Patching it would be my choice. Consideration must also be given to possible damage from what ever object caused the puncture in the first place. These tires are not cheap but you still have to ask yourself if you want to go 140 mph on a tire that has possibly been comprimised? ( come on every body does it now and then )

I think the KR jack points are the same as any other S197 Mustang.

I've plugged tires for years and never had one fail but... Those were all passenger cars or trucks. I would personally would never drive a plugged tire at high speeds.

I think the KR jack points are the same as any other S197 Mustang.

I've plugged tires for years and never had one fail but... Those were all passenger cars or trucks. I would personally would never drive a plugged tire at high speeds.

+1... Not worth ones life. Time to get a new set.

I've plugged 2 tires on 2 different cars. Both failed within a couple months of the repairs. I've heard of people that have no complaints with plugs, but my experience with them hasn't been good at all.

12K miles on a rear F1 isn't too shabby. I'd replace it.

Ken

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going with a new pair of rear tires. I could not believe the difference in pricing. For the exact same tire (Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar P285/40/ZR18) the prices ranged from $166 to $328! Fortunately, a big local chain that is near me, and I've been using for years had the low price.

My Ford dealer was only about $20 more per tire, but he said they would match the price if I bring in the ad. I told him that I was very nervous about having someone scratch the rims putting the new tires on. He said that there was one guy that he would trust to do this and would check the guy's schedule and make me an appointment. He checked with the shop then called me back with the bad news. They won't touch the KR tires. He said their equipment was too old and no one would take the responsibility. Unbelievable!!!!

When I ordered the tires from the local dealer (they are in the warehouse downtown and will be there tomorrow), I also read him the riot act about scratching the rims. He assured me that they deal with expensive rims all the time. I told him I would take pictures of the rims when I get there.

Still need to go to the dealer to get the new TPMS sensor and another can of the goop for the inflator.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going with a new pair of rear tires. I could not believe the difference in pricing. For the exact same tire (Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar P285/40/ZR18) the prices ranged from $166 to $328! Fortunately, a big local chain that is near me, and I've been using for years had the low price.

My Ford dealer was only about $20 more per tire, but he said they would match the price if I bring in the ad. I told him that I was very nervous about having someone scratch the rims putting the new tires on. He said that there was one guy that he would trust to do this and would check the guy's schedule and make me an appointment. He checked with the shop then called me back with the bad news. They won't touch the KR tires. He said their equipment was too old and no one would take the responsibility. Unbelievable!!!!

When I ordered the tires from the local dealer (they are in the warehouse downtown and will be there tomorrow), I also read him the riot act about scratching the rims. He assured me that they deal with expensive rims all the time. I told him I would take pictures of the rims when I get there.

Still need to go to the dealer to get the new TPMS sensor and another can of the goop for the inflator.

my 2 cents...

Bring the tire dealer a nice bottle of wine (USA) 'cause he's gonna need it after getting all that goop out of the tire & wheel that went flat. My local dealer really hates those new compressor / goop units that are standard with some high end cars.

UncleRon

Watch out, they are NOT THE SAME TIRES.

The F1's on a KR are *NOT* the same as the F1's on the GT500.

The KR F1's have a nickle sized winged shoe on the sidewall. The GT500 F1's do not.

Different compounds were used.

There was a recent thread with a link telling all about this on the 2010 Forum (IF I remember correctly).

Someone posted a list of tires and the ones listed for a KR were in the 300 dollar range where as the GT500 tires were about half the cost. Same exact size, same exact rating, just the flying boot (Goodyear logo) was on the KR tires. I think they said they replaced the old "Blue Dot" with the winged boot.

Just be sure you *know* what you are getting for the price.

Phill Pollard

2010 GT500

The KR F1's have a nickle sized winged shoe on the sidewall. The GT500 F1's do not.

There was a recent thread with a link telling all about this on the 2010 Forum (IF I remember correctly).

Someone posted a list of tires and the ones listed for a KR were in the 300 dollar range where as the GT500 tires were about half the cost. Same exact size, same exact rating, just the flying boot (Goodyear logo) was on the KR tires. I think they said they replaced the old "Blue Dot" with the winged boot.

Phill Pollard

2010 GT500

I got the information from the KR owners manual supplement. When I get home tonight, I will check the actual sidewall.

Thanks for the tip!

More questions for the experts here.

Picked up the new TPMS sensor from a Ford dealer at lunch today. He asked if I needed the band also. I thought I had read somewhere that the band is reusable. He said it was, but some people replace the band when they replace a sensor.

Also, I picked up a new valve stem. As I was leaving, I started to wonder if Shelby uses a different kind of valve stem on the KR wheels than the standard Ford part?

And finally, when the new sensor gets put in, don't I have to do something to get the system to recognize the new sensor? I don't have the manual with me to look that up right now.

Thanks again for all the tips and advise.

I bought a tarp, gloves, tire plugging kit, pliers, and LED headlamp that I carry in my trunk. No gunk for me.

Same here. That set up will get you to the tire store without ruining the sensor. The only problem is plugging it without a jack.

I'm the careful type.

I carry a GT500 Front wheel and tire as a spare (plus jack and lug wrench). Yes, it fits in the wheel well. Somewhere waaaaay back there I started a thread with pics.

+1. I also could have gone with a stock Mustang spare-just realize you might want to carry two jacks if you go that route since the Mustang spare won't clear the calipers on the front-so you have to play musical wheels if you use that approach. But it fits the trunk real easy. To put a GT500 front tire in the well you have to trim the rear valence a bit on the lower edge and you will lose two inches in trunk floor depth. I got some two inch polyprop expanded foam I cut and put on each side of the tire so i have a flat trunk floor-although it is a bit shallower.

Phill Pollard

2010 GT500

How right you are. Got the new tires today, and these don't have the "flying boot" on them. When I got to the tire shop, I had the guy bring out the new ones, and we did a side-by-side comparison to the ones on the KR. The ONLY difference was the flying boot. No blue dot, but no flying boot. Everything else, especially the tread pattern was a spot-on match. I had them mount the ones I'd ordered, but will contact SAI to see how to get the originals for the next time.

Thanks for the tip!

BTW, these guys are awesome. They deal in specialty wheels all the time, so there was not a scratch on them, and when I left and hit the Inttersate and (skip this part for those of you who don't like this behaviour) hit about 110mph for a short burst, the balancing was perfect. These may not be the tires that Shelby originally put on the car, but I'm definitely a happy camper.

Thanks again for everyone's responses to this thread. I love this forum!!!!!

Ok, one more question.

When I used the goop to seal the tire, there is now a trail inside the RR wheel well where the goop was spurting out as I did the 4 mile run to seal the hole. There is also some goop on the back of the rocker panel. What do I use to clean that stuff up?

Archived