TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Heat from the supercharger

UK PONY

I had read on another forum of someone having issues with their CS6 supercharger generating so much heat it was melting the resin out of the hood. Has anyone on here had that issue or know if it's a real problem or just a one off?

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard of an issue where if you install the bigger supercharger afterwards (Novi 2200 I think?) you will have problems with clearance, which may have caused the melting? They use the CS6 hood and Novi 1200 supercharger on the Terlingua so I'm sure we would have heard something from their forum as well as ours if it was a serious issue.

Wish I could help more but I don't have forced induction on my model... you could always get a heat resistant hood liner just to make sure!

I've heard of an issue where if you install the bigger supercharger afterwards (Novi 2200 I think?) you will have problems with clearance, which may have caused the melting? They use the CS6 hood and Novi 1200 supercharger on the Terlingua so I'm sure we would have heard something from their forum as well as ours if it was a serious issue.

Wish I could help more but I don't have forced induction on my model... you could always get a heat resistant hood liner just to make sure!

Thanks Kevin.....I'd only heard of the one occasion but thought I'd check.

• 5 months later...

Thanks Kevin.....I'd only heard of the one occasion but thought I'd check.

The supercharger was actually touching the hood. You can see a rub mark on the aluminum of the supercharger. The heat (try touching the supercharger after the car has been driven) was melting something (epoxy?) in the fiberglass and black goo was dripping down. I had a relief hole cut in the hood above the supercharger and other heat spots and opened up some of the fake holes in the fake hood grill to let the heat out. No more problems.

Look closely at the top of the volute and you see something that looks like a fingerprint, that's where the rub was.

100_1313x1024.jpg

The front most square hole is where the supercharger rub was. The round drilled holes were other heat problem areas.

101_0980.jpg

101_0979.jpg

I had read on another forum of someone having issues with their CS6 supercharger generating so much heat it was melting the resin out of the hood. Has anyone on here had that issue or know if it's a real problem or just a one off?

I have the same problem with mine...

I didn't cut relief holes, I just let the hood and supercharger find their own happy place.

All of these vehicles have the exact same issue as there is not enough clearance for the head unit.

They were built for the Hertz cars without a head unit installed.

BTW...there is also no room for strut tower brace.

BTW...there is also no room for strut tower brace.

I have a lower K-Frame brace and torque limiters which ties the bottom end together like the the strut tower brace does on the upper end. I installed it because at full throttle I couldn't shift into 3rd due to engine/transmission rotation. The brace makes the front stiffer so it handles better. What I wasn't expecting is that the cars also handles bumps with less drama.

I have a lower K-Frame brace and torque limiters which ties the bottom end together like the the strut tower brace does on the upper end. I installed it because at full throttle I couldn't shift into 3rd due to engine/transmission rotation. The brace makes the front stiffer so it handles better. What I wasn't expecting is that the cars also handles bumps with less drama.

That's a good idea..

I never even though about the the bottom end thanks Bill..

Sorry I missed these last few posts guys. Paleoc - it was your incident I was referring to I think.

Mine is rubbing on the s/c but so far no issues with black goo of any kind. At a later point I may buy a Terlingua Hood and eliminate all of the issues at once.

Archived