TEAM SHELBY FORUM

tires (TPMS)

jsdeweyusmc

Finally got my tires programmed at the Ford dealership today and all is well and for free. Found a place in Wash State that I brought my sensors from and also brackets so that I could use the band system since my HRE will not use the valve stem to mount them. The web site was http://www.drivenproductsllc.com/ the phone # (206) 462-1257 they were very helpful (John) in getting the correct ones for my Shelby. They also sell them on Ebay. The dealership want about $80.00 apiece for the sensors. Paid about $200.00 for everything and when they were installed I made sure that they installed them correctly when I got the tires mounted. You can programmed you computer into the training mode by holding in the brake and pressing your emergency flasher button 6 times and then releasing the brake and the horn should sound and then program your wheels if you have the programming tool. They told me at the dealership how to get into the mode and I have the programming tool which I used on my 2008 Mustang. I told the dealership that they were Ford sensors so they didn't give me any hassle in programming them. Got rid of my Nitto Invo tires and went an got another set of Goodyear F1 tires because the ride is smoother.

I'm going through a similar situation as well.

I picked up a complete set of 2010 wheels/tires from a fellow TS member (Parts Dude). They come equipped with the newer style "snap-in" sensor/transmitter as opposed to the '09 and prior (for a Mustang) "banded" sensor. The SJB in my '09 doesn't recognize the 16 bit rate signal emitted from the newer sensors. It is looking for an 8 bit signal, as sent by the older, banded sensor. The banded sensors came from Lear, but the 2010 Mustang sensors are coming from Schrader.

I recently discovered that Schrader may have a snap-in sensor that works with the '09 and prior Mustang SJB and PCM. They call it their EZ-sensor. It looks identical to their OE GT500 offering. If it operates at 315 mhz and spouts off an 8 bit signal, it looks to be the perfect solution.

I'll try to get through to someone at Schrader that understands what I'm looking for.

Tob

I wouldn't worry about disabling them. They are a joke anyway!!! By the time your dash tells you that a tire is low, the tire is almost flat anyway. It won't tell you when you are 2-4 lbs under inflated. I just check my pressure regularly myself, have added air quite a bit.

I picked up a complete set of 2010 wheels/tires from a fellow TS member (Parts Dude). They come equipped with the newer style "snap-in" sensor/transmitter as opposed to the '09 and prior (for a Mustang) "banded" sensor. The SJB in my '09 doesn't recognize the 16 bit rate signal emitted from the newer sensors. It is looking for an 8 bit signal, as sent by the older, banded sensor. The banded sensors came from Lear, but the 2010 Mustang sensors are coming from Schrader.

I recently discovered that Schrader may have a snap-in sensor that works with the '09 and prior Mustang SJB and PCM. They call it their EZ-sensor. It looks identical to their OE GT500 offering. If it operates at 315 mhz and spouts off an 8 bit signal, it looks to be the perfect solution.

I'll try to get through to someone at Schrader that understands what I'm looking for.

Tob

Any idea of the cost Tob? :headscratch:

Hi-

Is the TPMS necessary? Can you just disable it? Im planning on changing tires and wheels regularly for racing and was going disable this. Mistake?

M.

Depends on the GT500, I'd think it's like most cars and will throw a code/warning light when the pressure is low or if you removed the sensors. Also depends on your state, here in VA if your car is throwing a code like low tire pressure the inspector would fail your car during safety inspection.

Also a friend with a C6 ZO6 was telling me that in his car the computer actually cuts timing as it sees the low pressure as dangerous.

Depends on the GT500, I'd think it's like most cars and will throw a code/warming light when the pressure is low or if you removed the sensors. Also depends on your state, here in VA if your car is throwing a code like low tire pressure the inspector would fail your car during safety inspection.

Also a friend with a C6 ZO6 was telling me that in his car the computer actually cuts timing as it sees the low pressure as dangerous.

+1 and yes you gessed it there is a big penalty if you get caught doing this .try $10,000 fine per sensor. dont believe me . look it up.

Any idea of the cost Tob? :headscratch:

Not yet, Leann. I'm working on it - I assure you!

Schrader may also have a more 'standard' alternative. They have this listing...

28385 for Ford Banded OE 6F2Z1A189A (This is the OE Ford part # for our Mustangs)

Here. I just need to find out if Schrader is using a snap-in to replace the original banded unit. It sounds like they are. That would mean they offer two snap-in sensors that could be used. Hopefully at least one of them can be purchased for a reasonable price.

Tob

Not yet, Leann. I'm working on it - I assure you!

Schrader may also have a more 'standard' alternative. They have this listing...

Here. I just need to find out if Schrader is using a snap-in to replace the original banded unit. It sounds like they are. That would mean they offer two snap-in sensors that could be used. Hopefully at least one of them can be purchased for a reasonable price.

Tob

Cool...thanks Tob...

• 4 months later...

Tob

I have the Schraders in my True Forged, and bougth the Iforged brackets to mount them on so I can still use the hidden stems in the 3 piece wheels.

I did not even have to program the Schrader sensors, wierd, but they worked for me right out of the box. At first I thought it was the TMPS system picking up my old sensnor in the stocke tires and wheels (stacked in the corner of my garage) But I have drove all day on them many times with many restarts, at least a hundred miles a coulple of times.

Archived