TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Canadian hopefuls - HELP!

Seahorse

Hi guys, found this site a few days ago while researching the GT500 and have spent time since then reading through the site. Looking at buying SOME kind of new performance car this year (have owned various Mustangs, Firebirds, etc. in the past but have been without a toy for awhile now - this year I aim to change that) and the GT500 is at the top of my "want" list right now. Of course wanting and receiving when it comes to this car seems to be a bit of a challenge, as I'm sure you all know *L*.

Anyway, armed with what information I've been able to come up with over the past while, I headed to my local dealer to speak with a salesman that I've bought from in the past. He's a nice enough guy and all but I'm not sure if he (or the dealership - he spoke with the manager) is really on top of what's going on with this car...well as much as anyone could be so far I guess. Anyway no problem getting on their list for sale at MSRP (willing to put it in writing), but a couple things he said have kinda thrown me for a loop and I would appreciate any input any other prospective Canadian buyers out there may have!

Item #1 - he says their dealership (they are a very large operation and have been an SVT dealer for some time) are getting 15...yes he said FIFTEEN 2007 Shelbys!? Is this even remotely possible? It's my understanding from reading on here and elsewhere that even large dealerships would be lucky to get even 4 or 5?!

Item #2 - and the deal breaker for me if he's right...but although he said he didn't have the exact figures, he did say the Canadian MSRP will be mid 60's for the convertible and right around $60000 for the coupe?!?!?!?! This in no way jives with anything I've heard or read elsewhere? ANY other Canadians been given ANY kind of pricing info by their dealerships???

TIA!

Item #1 - he says their dealership (they are a very large operation and have been an SVT dealer for some time) are getting 15...yes he said FIFTEEN 2007 Shelbys!?quote]

I'm not Canadian but I play one on the Internet sometimes. Can you get me one? What's the exchange rate right now? Dang (again, in an attempt to redeem myself from a prior outburst, I had to erase a word and type in a new word because my fingers keep swearing), 15 cars!

Seriously though, 15 does sound like your dealers stretching it a bit, especially when allocation numbers have yet to be released and huge dealers in the US are expecting 5,6,7, maybe 8 cars.

Finally, welcome to the board Seahorse.

Item #1 - he says their dealership (they are a very large operation and have been an SVT dealer for some time) are getting 15...yes he said FIFTEEN 2007 Shelbys!? Is this even remotely possible? It's my understanding from reading on here and elsewhere that even large dealerships would be lucky to get even 4 or 5?!

Item #2 - and the deal breaker for me if he's right...but although he said he didn't have the exact figures, he did say the Canadian MSRP will be mid 60's for the convertible and right around $60000 for the coupe?!?!?!?! This in no way jives with anything I've heard or read elsewhere? ANY other Canadians been given ANY kind of pricing info by their dealerships???

TIA!

With about 280 Shelby's, or so speculated coming to Canada and with 28 SVT Dealers in Canada, one would reasonably expect that some of the Larger Dealers will end up getting 15 or more. Smaller Dealers could end up with, say 5?

I believe that the MSRP he quoted you is is WAY off. I'm still sticking with between $51-$53K, before options, as the base Canadian Price for a Coupe. This is based on the original 40K quote by FMCo. Exchange rate taken into account and the 10% bump-up that has been added onto the Canadian MSRP of the base Mustang GT and 6cyl Coupe.

Hello and welcome Seahorse - what part of Canada are you from?

To answer #1: True! The SVT shop I deal with received about 14 Cobras in 2004, and around the same in 2003, so he fully expects to get that many Shelby's for the 2007 model year. They are located in Burnaby, B.C., and across town in Vancouver, there is another SVT dealer who will get his allotment this year too. That means around 28 new Shelby's running around B.C.!

#2: I would expect to pay $55-60K Can. for a coupe. With a U.S. price estimated at $40 - $45K U.S., I figure an exchange rate of at least 1.33 - to 1.4. Then a bump of $5-7K for a vert. I'm hoping I'm on the high side, or my car is gonna be just sitting pretty in the driveway a lot!

My dealer expects a lot of names will be dropped off his waiting list once the MSRP is announced. I know when we buy new vehicles, we have to sign a document that we won't cross the border and flip the car in the States. I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a big hassle for an American purchasing a car in Canada and driving it home.

Glad to see NVWSSV has bounced back to the Shelby side - you'd have to squeeze a Tundra pretty tight to be 475 hp outta one of those!

With about 280 Shelby's, or so speculated coming to Canada and with 28 SVT Dealers in Canada, one would reasonably expect that some of the Larger Dealers will end up getting 15 or more. Smaller Dealers could end up with, say 5?

I believe that the MSRP he quoted you is is WAY off. I'm still sticking with between $51-$53K, before options, as the base Canadian Price for a Coupe.

51-53 k American Dollars or Canadian Dollars? If Canadian that converts to around 46k us, correct?

Hmmm, say I fly to Canada buy a car and drive back to California what is my bottomline cost?

Would I be better off than paying 5-10k ADMU?

51-53 k American Dollars or Canadian Dollars? If Canadian that converts to around 46k us, correct?

Hmmm, say I fly to Canada buy a car and drive back to California what is my bottomline cost?

As quoted "base Canadian Price for a Coupe". So yes, Canadian dollars.

All right - everybody ante a buck ($1.15 for Canucks), and we'll have a pool to see who guesses the closest MSRP for a Shelby coupe!

It would be great if the auto manufacturers would sell cars in Canada at a straight exchange rate. Right now it costs us $1.15 to buy one American buck. But with the fluctuating exchange rate, it seems that they pull a safe number (like 1.33 or so) out of old Henry Ford's hat, and that's what we pay.

As a Canadian, purchasing a North American Manufactured vehicle from the US isn't a big deal. Especially a modern one. Most, if not all, North American Manufacturered vehicles are Importable into Canada. New and Used. A few things have to be confirmed on the vehicle to meet Canadian Federal Standards, such as Daytime Running Lights, Child Seat Tether Anchors, Bilingual/French Safety Decos. But that's about it. Taxes on the vehicle are paid in the jourisdiction that you live. Not where you buy. I Purchased an 05' Excursion in NY State last fall and it was a breeze. No State Tax, No Duties (thanks to NAFTA). I drove it to the Border, paid my GST, had a Federal and Provincial Inspection performed at my neighbourhood Canadian Tire and then went to the DMV and paid my Provincial Tax when I Registered it.

That's the typical Canadian experience. I don't know how the American system is set up for American's Purchasing new vehicles in Canada. US Customs would be able to tell You.

All right - everybody ante a buck ($1.15 for Canucks), and we'll have a pool to see who guesses the closest MSRP for a Shelby coupe!

It would be great if the auto manufacturers would sell cars in Canada at a straight exchange rate. Right now it costs us $1.15 to buy one American buck. But with the fluctuating exchange rate, it seems that they pull a safe number (like 1.33 or so) out of old Henry Ford's hat, and that's what we pay.

So true! Back in the early MMs, when the Canadian dollar was very weak, the average North American vehicle was selling for less in Canada than it was in the Sates. Almost every Canadian lease return SUV and High End Pickup was being Auctioned off to US Dealer Networks, Exported back into the US and Sold.

I remember that Ford was selling vehicles at about $1.30, when the realistic exchange was $1.50 to $1.60 Ford and others were actually selling vehicles at a Loss in Canada in order to maintain Market Share.

:read:

My bill of sale written May of 2005 was clearly stamped ' NOT FOR EXPORT '. Doubt it that you can bring one over the border with that............besides, with your better $$, wouldn't be fair to all of us if you guys bought our stock now would it???

Curious, could the' NOT FOR EXPORT ' stamp, perhaps meant that the vehicle didn't meet certain National Highway Traffic Safety Administration requirements to be eligible for Export into the USA? I had a tobacco farmer from Virginia come up and buy a 95' Supercoupe from me back in 2000. I had to have One modification done to it to meet the NHTSA specs. That was disconnecting the Daytime Running Lights.

Curious, could the' NOT FOR EXPORT ' stamp, perhaps meant that the vehicle didn't meet certain National Highway Traffic Safety Administration requirements to be eligible for Export into the USA? I had a tobacco farmer from Virginia come up and buy a 95' Supercoupe from me back in 2000. I had to have One modification done to it to meet the NHTSA specs. That was disconnecting the Daytime Running Lights.

:shrug:

Not sure.............I took it as for Canada only.

Glad to see NVWSSV has bounced back to the Shelby side - you'd have to squeeze a Tundra pretty tight to be 475 hp outta one of those!

Oh I'm still obsessed with the Shelby, I just will not be buying a Shelby and an F-150 this week. Instead, the F-150 will now be a Tundra thanks to my wonderful conversation with the superb management at my friendly local Ford store and the Shelby will have to wait until whenever. Should be picking the Tundra up tomorrow or Friday with pics to follow. Anyone want to buy a 2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon?

P.S. The two Toyota dealers I’ve been working with both have sales and negotiating methods that are straight up with no pressure to buy on the spot. It’s been a relief and breath of fresh air.

Hi guys, found this site a few days ago while researching the GT500 and have spent time since then reading through the site. Looking at buying SOME kind of new performance car this year (have owned various Mustangs, Firebirds, etc. in the past but have been without a toy for awhile now - this year I aim to change that) and the GT500 is at the top of my "want" list right now. Of course wanting and receiving when it comes to this car seems to be a bit of a challenge, as I'm sure you all know *L*.

Anyway, armed with what information I've been able to come up with over the past while, I headed to my local dealer to speak with a salesman that I've bought from in the past. He's a nice enough guy and all but I'm not sure if he (or the dealership - he spoke with the manager) is really on top of what's going on with this car...well as much as anyone could be so far I guess. Anyway no problem getting on their list for sale at MSRP (willing to put it in writing), but a couple things he said have kinda thrown me for a loop and I would appreciate any input any other prospective Canadian buyers out there may have!

TIA!

I'm hearing approx 52 for the Coupe +4-5K for the vert.

When I spoke to my dealer he also said the two things they don't know for sure was A. PRICE

B. Exactly how many cars, could be as many as 16.

Now I heard there are 24 SVT dealers in Canada with initial allotment varying between 12-20 cars per dealer. Hard to say but the only thing where I think your dealer is blowing smoke is on the 60K. He may also be feeling you at with those numbers to see your reaction.

Thanks for all the input guys! As you've pointed out, a price has not been set yet, but I was curious if anyone else has heard this 60+k figure - seems I'm the only one there, for better or for worse *L*. But like I said if it is north of 60 (pardon the pun) then I'm out. One thing I forgot to mention in my origional post was the dealer wants a fairly significant non-refundable deposit to get on his list, so I'm going to hold off until actual MSRP is released before making a final decision I guess.

Thanks for all the input guys! As you've pointed out, a price has not been set yet, but I was curious if anyone else has heard this 60+k figure - seems I'm the only one there, for better or for worse *L*. But like I said if it is north of 60 (pardon the pun) then I'm out. One thing I forgot to mention in my origional post was the dealer wants a fairly significant non-refundable deposit to get on his list, so I'm going to hold off until actual MSRP is released before making a final decision I guess.

See if you can give your dealer a deposit on the condition of MSRP not being above x$. That way you get on the list but can get your $ back if the car is above x$.

See if you can give your dealer a deposit on the condition of MSRP not being above x$. That way you get on the list but can get your $ back if the car is above x$.

Thanks, going to do up a note along that line and fire it across their bow...wish me luck! :happy feet:

Archived