TEAM SHELBY FORUM

To Stripe or not to Stripe

Proctoman

I am the proud owner of an 08 Tungston GT500. I have just purchased one of the "Bad Guys" hoods and am now in a stripe dilemma. It seems to me that i can either go without stripes or have them painted on. I saw a pic a while back of a naked Tungston GT500 but did an extensive search and can not find the pic. Help on finding the pic would be greatly appreciated and any other options too.

Thanks in advance.

I am the proud owner of an 08 Tungston GT500. I have just purchased one of the "Bad Guys" hoods and am now in a stripe dilemma. It seems to me that i can either go without stripes or have them painted on. I saw a pic a while back of a naked Tungston GT500 but did an extensive search and can not find the pic. Help on finding the pic would be greatly appreciated and any other options too.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the TS family and congrats on your Shelby GT 500...IMHO, the stripes give the car caracter, especially a muscle car like the Shelby GT 500......If you have any other questions fell free to ask and do not forget to register your Shelby in the SAI Registry....

Enjoy and be safe.....shift.gif

Alexandros

I say paint them on. The stripe is a part of what makes the GT500 look what it is. I do agree that the tape is not so special though. That, again, is why I say paint them.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely paint them. I drive mine daily and every time it rains, if I can't get out to dry it before the sun drys the rain, water spots for ever. The other option is to have them stripped and cleared over (I'm considering this method).

Definitely paint them. I drive mine daily and every time it rains, if I can't get out to dry it before the sun drys the rain, water spots for ever. The other option is to have them stripped and cleared over (I'm considering this method).

I believe you can do a search and find with and without stripes. :headscratch:

Mine is a stripe delete. Makes it stealthy...I don't need to advertise to the police IMO.

Then again, it is a SHELBY and it does ad character.

Hope this help in you decision.

post-26384-126741918618_thumb.jpg

post-26384-126741918618_thumb.jpg

Mine is alloy without over the top stripes. Originally I was going to have silver stripes put on it, but have changed my mind. The car looks awesome without them, and after learning more about original Shelby's of the 60's, many didn't have the stripes from the factroy. At first I thought it needed them, simply to be more "Shelby", but when I found out that was false, I think the car looks awesome without.

Stripes might make it look fast, but I would rather save my mod money for things that actually make it faster.

When I started my search I wanted the side stripes on my vert. The one I found did not have them and I tried to negociate them into the deal. Now I like it just the way it is. I think it looks "clean".

On the other hand, when I found my 69 Mach1 it did not have the stripes on it and it was one of the first things I added. I thought that car looked naked without them.

I think the new Shelby's have enough different styling (compared to the Mustang GT's) to make them stand out, even without the stripes.

Go with what you like.....

Are you talking about this Stripe Delete Car? It's Vapor and not Tungsten, but the colors are similar.

Vapor Stripe Delete

If you do a search for "+Vapor +Delete" (search Title Only) the owner of the car Hec332 has 3 different post w/ pictures. Hope that helps.

PS. Post some Pic's once you get that new Hood on, I plan on doing the same thing myself, but will probably go w/ aftermarket stripes on the Hood.

But I do agree that this Stripe Delete GT-500 looks GREAT.

I say pull them off and see if you like them. and if you dont then get them painted on. Thats what im doing this summer, I cant stand the cheep tape that came on it.

I agree with the poster above. I think most owners prefer the look of stripes, but I think there are a few colors that look great without stripes. The contours of the GT500 are fabulous and the car stands out enough with its badges and great 69-70 style retro-Mustang shape. Stripes can make the GT500 an eye-catcher from 1/4 mile away which I do not need.

On the other hand, there are some colors that just cry for stripes IMO. Eg. white just looks like it needs the blue stripes.

Bob W

Archived