TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No GT500's for 2008 - is it true?

ctann

I saw this post yesterday, and figured if anyone knew how many years the GT500 would be built would be Amy at CSA.

Amy says: http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...opid=87717&

Now that is three years for the Shelby GT500 which makes sense to match (1967 - 1969 Shelby GT500's) & One year for the Shelby GT.

To me, the Shelby GT would make a wise purchase at MSRP if the car is to be built for 1 year only.

The 1st one to be auction off at Barret-Jackson which I believe is Jan. 21st may surpass the 1st Shelby GT500' s $600,000 once the bidders hear this car will be built for one year, which = high dealer ADM.

I saw this post yesterday, and figured if anyone knew how many years the GT500 would be built would be Amy at CSA.

Amy says: http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...opid=87717&

Now that is three years for the Shelby GT500 which makes sense to match (1967 - 1969 Shelby GT500's) & One year for the Shelby GT.

To me, the Shelby GT would make a wise purchase at MSRP if the car is to be built for 1 year only.

The 1st one to be auction off at Barret-Jackson which I believe is Jan. 21st may surpass the 1st Shelby GT500' s $600,000 once the bidders hear this car will be built for one year, which = high dealer ADM.

Maybe this is semantics...but suppose they stop producing the GT500 IN ITS CURRENT FORM and started calling it the Mustang Shelby GT500KR for '08 and '09. In that case, both scenarios would be true.

1) They would not be making the current GT500 after '07 MY

2) They would be making the GT500 for 3 years.

I have no info that this will happen...I'm just saying that sometimes there are nuances we may not understand that could result in both stories being true. Only time will tell. I'd think once we get to April we'll know for sure, as the Order Sheets will come out for the '08 cars.

Dave

No Shelby's for 08'? NONSENSE. As so many others have already stated, the salesman is playing on your greed button in order to sell you the car for $100K "Man, if you don't get down here and buy THIS 500, you may never get another chance to buy another one".

Think about it. Although the Cobra is essentally a Mustang, there are some significant differences between the two models (duh). Beacuse of those differences, Ford spent millions of dollars for R&D, tooling, dyes, stampings, not to mention licensing to CSI, so in order for them to recoup those costs, Ford (not the dealer) would have to get at least $100,000 for every 07' 500 they sold. So unless that happens, a car would have to be in production for at least two years before they would recoup their money and the car is taken off the market.

Even good cars that are slow or poor seller's get produced for at least two years. I have a Mercury Marauder which is a great car (I love the "S" out of mine), but because of weak marketing (like the SHO Taurus), the Marauder did not sell very well. Even so, Ford produced 11,000 of them for the 2003 and 2004 Model year before they pulled the plug on it. Too bad really.

I can't think of ANY car, even the Edsel, that was not produced for at least two years. Corvair was what; 4 years? The POS Fiero? Two years. Can anyone remember a one year car...ever?

Sure, Ford may "kill" the 500 for a 500KR in 2008, but the fundemental car is still being produced. For all we know, the KR might just have the twin screw blower and more HP, but other than that and probably badging, it will have the same body as the 07' model.

Two years; mininum. That's my opinion.

Archived