TEAM SHELBY FORUM

No GT500's for 2008 - is it true?

ctann

Hi all,

Just got a call from the fleet manager at a local dealer here in Northern California. He told me that he had just got news in, that Ford would not be producing the GT500 for 2008! He has 1 GT500 left, and is offering it for MSRP+18k.

Now, last thing in the world I would ever do is "panic-buy" a car for almost $70k. BUT, if this is true, then it is almost certainly going to cause a run on what 2007's are left unclaimed when word gets out. In that case - $18k over would be a "bargain" (or, if not a bargain, at least hard to beat, certainly around here.).

So, anyone else heard anything that would confirm or deny this information?

Thanks.

He got news in from who? I think it is just more rumor to increase panic buying. I say they will definitely make it in 2008 and I would be shocked if they don't in 2009 as well. Not trying to accuse you of starting anything. I'm just not buying what some of these people are spreading.

:hysterical2: That one is almost as funny as the sales rep who told me the stripes were PAINTED on ....I felt the stripes and he noticed I knew they were vinyls. Not that I dislike the vinyls on the GT500. They just want you to buy and "convince" you that the ADM is not so bad at all. IF he does back it up though, please do post, but if not...do not panic buy. Good luck.

I work at Galpin Ford in Los Angeles and just recently sold a Grabber Orange GT500 to a board member. To my knowledge, there will be a 2008 model but will not be a 2009 since the Mustang will get a "re-engineering" for 09. Sounds like he's trying to make a sale! ;)

L.Sanchez

YEA! NO MORE 2008 GT500. I have 2 if interested. And selling only for 2 easy payments of 60k each. And mine are better than the ones in the dealership!!! Wanna know why? .....because they are made by AutoArt 1:18!! :hysterical2:

L, Thanks for the REAL input!

Not true as far as I know - call 800 FORD SVT to confirm during east coast bus. hours.

I spoke with SVT last week and posed the question concerning the 08MY GT500. The response was, yes, it will be produced. I suggested the Ford restructuring plan may stop the GT500 prouction and the representative maintained his original statement. :cry: I was hoping for a one year run since mine will be here in by heart day.

Perhaps that dealer was confusing the Shelby GT500 and Shelby GT? I have a copy of the contract we signed for two years of production (2007 and 2008) of GT500's with SVT, so I'm quite certain that we'll see a minimum of 2 years of GT500's - maybe even a 3rd year? However, my understanding of the 2007 Shelby GT is that it is a one year run, just like the 2007 Mustang GT California Special.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 9 2007, 06:46 PM) 87080[/snapback]

Perhaps that dealer was confusing the Shelby GT500 and Shelby GT? I have a copy of the contract we signed for two years of production (2007 and 2008) of GT500's with SVT, so I'm quite certain that we'll see a minimum of 2 years of GT500's - maybe even a 3rd year? However, my understanding of the 2007 Shelby GT is that it is a one year run, just like the 2007 Mustang GT California Special.

Are your 4 2008 GT500's pre sold for 10K ADM ?

Are your 4 2008 GT500's pre sold for 10K ADM ?

Ford hasn't announced production #'s or allocation for 2008 GT500's yet, so we don't know how many we'll get. Therefor, we haven't reserved any of them for anyone yet, much less priced them yet. We get five (5) 2007 GT500's, and all five were pre-sold a year ago for a $10K ADM. We have roughly 60-70 people on our 2008 GT500 list on any given day (it fluctuates as more people sign up and others give up hope), so I can't imagine ADM's dropping much for 2008 - if at all. However, we'll follow the market and price ours very competitively when 2008 production and allocation is announced, just as we do with all model line ups. For example, we have V6 and GT Mustangs priced well below MSRP, some at or below invoice, to keep competitive and move them out. Even our last few GT California Specials went for less than MSRP.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments. I am usually pretty sceptical about this sort of information, but this dealer actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about. In any case, I may go take a look at the car (he has it "on the ground"), and pump him for a little more information. Looking at Ford's current position, it doesn't sound like a totally unreasonable possibility...

Assuming it is not true, I wonder if such scare tactics _really_ work on a car such as this anyway? Would it really be worth a dealership's reputation to squeeze a little more on the ADM on a single sale?

Of course, I always over think things like this - now I'm hoping he's right, that there won't be a 2008 GT500 - but just because they'll be replacing it with the 2008 GT500KR! :happy feet:

Regards,

Chris.

I just purchased my car a few weeks ago and the owner of the dealer said no 08 GT500s. This was after I purchased, so he was not trying to get me to buy. He said Ford was doing some other type of specialty Bullit mustang. Have SVT been produced in multi-year basis in the past?

I just purchased my car a few weeks ago and the owner of the dealer said no 08 GT500s. This was after I purchased, so he was not trying to get me to buy. He said Ford was doing some other type of specialty Bullit mustang. Have SVT been produced in multi-year basis in the past?

The Bullitt is kind of like the GT/CS. It is a specialty Mustang and does not affect the production of the GT500. I think your dealer is not up to speed.

I have heard that the GT500 will NOT be produced in 2008 because it will be the GT500KR! :ohsnap:

Hmm, very interesting. I've heard that they were making some changes to the car to make it more agressive in appearance and a possible power increase but I wasn't expecting any thing like this. Sounds like the ADM frenzy will be even worse if this comes true. :doh:

Who knows if it'll be next year, but the odds are high that there will be another Shelby GTxxx and it will be better than the current GT500. And who knows what it'll be called...except that Shelby will be in the name. It makes too much sense.

and that the ADM's will be off the scale..................... :sos:

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments. I am usually pretty sceptical about this sort of information, but this dealer actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about. In any case, I may go take a look at the car (he has it "on the ground"), and pump him for a little more information. Looking at Ford's current position, it doesn't sound like a totally unreasonable possibility...

Assuming it is not true, I wonder if such scare tactics _really_ work on a car such as this anyway? Would it really be worth a dealership's reputation to squeeze a little more on the ADM on a single sale?

Of course, I always over think things like this - now I'm hoping he's right, that there won't be a 2008 GT500 - but just because they'll be replacing it with the 2008 GT500KR! :happy feet:

Regards,

Chris.

Ok, he's what you do....tell him he's probably right about the '08MY, so why not just sell you one at msrp, it can't hurt him since there won't be one. However, if by some miracle there is a '08MY, then you got one at cost.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 9 2007, 09:46 PM) 87080[/snapback]

I had posted this before I have met and know Mark Feilds he has a pre production shelby blue white number seven built. He had Steeda lowered it a bit, only mods. I asked about production run on the GT500 he said two years and that the new car for 07 will be the billet and Ford expects to interduce a new mustang varent every year going forward into the near furture, this was two months ago.

Calling Robertlane....

Robert if you know anything on this matter please chime in. (SERIOUSLY )

Thanks ,

George...

He already did. See his other post.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 9 2007, 09:46 PM) 87080[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I asked about production run on the GT500 he said two years and that the new car for 07 will be the billet and Ford expects to interduce a new mustang varent every year going forward into the near furture, this was two months ago.

Hans, do you mean new car for '08? The '07s are halfway through production already.

He already did. See his other post.

Hans, do you mean new car for '08? The '07s are halfway through production already.

AS i understood Gt500 would run the two year production run, i did not ask about changes to car in 08. I belive that the Billit is the new model for 07.

AS i understood Gt500 would run the two year production run, i did not ask about changes to car in 08. I belive that the Billit is the new model for 07.

The new model is the Mustang GT "Bullitt" and it starts production this coming December (2007) as a 2008 model. It'll feature a 310hp 4.6L 3V V8 engine and will look very similar to the 1968 Mustang GT fastback from the Steve McQueen movie "Bullitt" from 1968. All will be produced in Dark Highland Green, just as the car in the movie.

Archived