TEAM SHELBY FORUM

serial numbers

69GT350Conv4spd

is there a risk to revealing ones" earlier" Shelby auto serial number over the internet ?

I notice many dont reveal the numbers to help prevent any hanky panky someone might do with it.

However, i dont see that as a justifiable concern.

Anyone in the real "know "about this issue?

is there a risk to revealing ones" earlier" Shelby auto serial number over the internet ?

I notice many dont reveal the numbers to help prevent any hanky panky someone might do with it.

However, i dont see that as a justifiable concern.

Anyone in the real "know "about this issue?

Hello and welcome to the TS family.....There is a chance that someone will, but it is rare...It is always good to be safe than sorry.....Enjoy the site and if you have a Shelby feel free to register it with Shelby American....

Thanks,

Alexandros

There is generally considered more risk in NOT listing it. Several years ago guy was hitting SAAC Conventions and using them for developing 'shopping' lists...ie later car theft. His main concern was finding cars that the owners wanted to 'protect' by keeping secret and NEVER listed in the registry...great..you have a secret car with no history..a car that cannot be tracked...think about it..a thief's dream. A listed car, with a well known and out in the public serial number carries a lot of protection as the car can be easily traced should it come up 'missing'....

An even better idea tried by too many...find a nice 65 or 66 San Jose Built Fastback with a K code engine. Rare but findable (color and interior do not mater)...sand that puppy down and rebuild it to 65/66 GT350 specs....now buy a modern repo Shelby engine bay tag..stamp in a Shelby id number and then beat the 'new' tag up a bit and bingo--faux Shelby GT350 worth huge $$ and totally a fraud. How to pull it off..all you need is a Shelby Registry..go after cars NEVER registered with the Registry.

Years down the road and several buyers later...2 GT350's out there with the same id number and a big argument over the 'real' one. Do yoursslf a big favor..Old Shelby..New Shelby..Just register it.

. Do yoursslf a big favor..Old Shelby..New Shelby..Just register it.

Yes I registerd it with SAAC back in 1978.

Thanks for you info

There is generally considered more risk in NOT listing it. Several years ago guy was hitting SAAC Conventions and using them for developing 'shopping' lists...ie later car theft. His main concern was finding cars that the owners wanted to 'protect' by keeping secret and NEVER listed in the registry...great..you have a secret car with no history..a car that cannot be tracked...think about it..a thief's dream. A listed car, with a well known and out in the public serial number carries a lot of protection as the car can be easily traced should it come up 'missing'....

An even better idea tried by too many...find a nice 65 or 66 San Jose Built Fastback with a K code engine. Rare but findable (color and interior do not mater)...sand that puppy down and rebuild it to 65/66 GT350 specs....now buy a modern repo Shelby engine bay tag..stamp in a Shelby id number and then beat the 'new' tag up a bit and bingo--faux Shelby GT350 worth huge $$ and totally a fraud. How to pull it off..all you need is a Shelby Registry..go after cars NEVER registered with the Registry.

Years down the road and several buyers later...2 GT350's out there with the same id number and a big argument over the 'real' one. Do yoursslf a big favor..Old Shelby..New Shelby..Just register it.

I agree times 1,000,000. If there is a Registry available for any collectable car it is imperative to register the car to protect the value of the car, and to make it easier to document authenticity should you decide to sell the car. Registry files are an excellent value. In the case of the newer Shelbys, it's amazing how many people don't bother to register the car with Team Shelby. In the case of the 2006 and 2007 Hertz GTHs the first retail owner to register even gets free stuff when they register the car (hard dash plaque, key chain, certificate with YOUR name on it, etc. ) When I attend car shows I make a point of asking every GTH I see if they have registered the car with Team Shelby. thanks for your post, as you brought up a very important, and often overlooked topic. regards, Larry

Just reg. my shelby on the site but what I did not do was add my name, address - to much info on the web for people to use.

All the best and happy motoring.

Doc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree times 1,000,000. If there is a Registry available for any collectable car it is imperative to register the car to protect the value of the car, and to make it easier to document authenticity should you decide to sell the car. Registry files are an excellent value. In the case of the newer Shelbys, it's amazing how many people don't bother to register the car with Team Shelby. In the case of the 2006 and 2007 Hertz GTHs the first retail owner to register even gets free stuff when they register the car (hard dash plaque, key chain, certificate with YOUR name on it, etc. ) When I attend car shows I make a point of asking every GTH I see if they have registered the car with Team Shelby. thanks for your post, as you brought up a very important, and often overlooked topic. regards, Larry

Archived