TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Check Your Rabbits!!!!!!

SVOC

Yes this come as alarming to you as it does me, and I should have caught this a LONG time ago.

After doing some mods to up the Bunnies Thumper a bit, we discovered that the crank case was being pressurized more than usual, now since I wasn't there, I had to wait till the car got back, after doing almost $170 worth of replacing seals (parts only) I started to work on the crankcase pressurization issue.

Let me just start by, everyone go outside to your Bunnies and make sure this DID NOT HAPPEN TO YOURS!!!!

The PCV valve was installed backwards, which didn't relive pressure, but actually allowed it to enter, all 15lbs. as a matter of fact!!!!

Note the proper installation screen short from Vortech's PDF file:

no_fuckup.jpg

Now, the improper installation from the build:

fuckup.jpg

Not to say your Wascally Wabbit is flawed, but to save you a headache of $170 worth of parts not including labor, I would go have a peek under the bonnet!!!

Parts I have replaced because of this:

Both VC gaskets

Front main seal

Rear main seal

Oil pan gaskets

The only positive thing to this is it allowed me to look at the clutch which was right on the rivets, which save the flywheel from getting scared, but that's another story!

Jeff

Just so you basically understand, it's somewhat like a one way check valve and allows intake manifold vacuum to pull hydrocarbon vapors and crank case pressure out:

valve.gif

What is listed as a "Back Fire" is a positive pressure, the same similar pressure that is created by "Boost" from a supercharger, when the crank case/engine is pressurized it will push oil out the seals/gaskets and into the inlet of the supercharger.

It will also cause the engine to labor due to the fact it has to work harder to push the pistons down.

Normally Aspirated Engine shown:

system.gif

If your still not sure, refer to the installation instructions page 10:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/download.php?dir=pdf/manuals&file=4FU020-610v4.1.pdf

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - I'll take a look. Can you post a pick of what it should look like when your done?

Yes the first black and white picture is the CORRECT way it should be done, or in other words if you look at the valve, the 5/8' end or larger end should have tubing the valve cover, the smaller 3/8' end should have hose going to the intake manifold.

Even though this picture shows dual vacuum tees, that end should have hose going to the intake, the lager metal end having hose to the valve cover:

pcv_valve.jpg

Your PCV valves will be plastic, but shaped similar to this one:

41y8pcxIQrL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Jeff

How on Earth did they manage that! :headscratch: Thanks for the post Jeff.

Stupidity can't be ruled out. It's also impossible to know which shop did this as I blew up the engine to my Terlingua last year and replaced the engine at a local shop. This could be why it blew in the first place. We'll never know. What I do know is that crap like this is exactly why I started Ryckman Motorsports.

How on Earth did they manage that! :headscratch: Thanks for the post Jeff.

H.U.B.S.

A common problem with people not paying attention to what they are doing, Head Up Butt Syndrome.

Stupidity can't be ruled out. It's also impossible to know which shop did this as I blew up the engine to my Terlingua last year and replaced the engine at a local shop. This could be why it blew in the first place. We'll never know. What I do know is that crap like this is exactly why I started Ryckman Motorsports.

I know exactly which shop did this after looking in your photobucket when you took delivery at Terlingua in 2008:

original_fuckup.jpg

Yep there it is in all it's glory, there is a possibility, pending on the Diablo tune, that yes, oil in the combustion chamber will cause preignition detonation and take out the head gaskets or pistons, but till the long block that was relived of it's duties in the garage it taken apart there is no telling what happened.

Jeff

I know exactly which shop did this after looking in your photobucket when you took delivery at Terlingua in 2008:

original_fuckup.jpg

Yep there it is in all it's glory, there is a possibility, pending on the Diablo tune, that yes, oil in the combustion chamber will cause preignition detonation and take out the head gaskets or pistons, but till the long block that was relived of it's duties in the garage it taken apart there is no telling what happened.

I was trying to be nice, but yep. Add that to the list of missing parts and general screw ups.

Yup, I just checked the pictures I took at Terlingua 2008, and there is no question....

Man, I thought forgetting to install the iridium sparkplugs was bad on the supersnakes...but this....I dont know squat, but know how to install a one way valve.... :censored:

No need to bad mouth....but its obvious why my car is being done in Vegas... :rant2::finger:

Just got a call, and walked a fellow Bunny owner through the task of correcting this issue on another car.

Feel free to call if your not sure.

Non Boosted Bunnies need not apply BTW.

Jeff

The one who needs to question the install is Vorpal considering our cars were built at the same time.

The one who needs to question the install is Vorpal considering our cars were built at the same time.

I have him taken care of, the other two in question now is Jim and Rick, and all the rest on the Boosted Bunnies.

Jeff

I have him taken care of, the other two in question now is Jim and Rick, and all the rest on the Boosted Bunnies.

Jeff

Jim's was in Dallas when I went by there last Thursday, It might be awhile before Rick gets to check his out since he is in the Great White North right now.

Jeff

I get back to Houston on the 11th so I'll be checking before I drive her again.

Jeff,

Will be checking mine tomorrow before tracking this week-end at Motorsports Ranch. Will let you guys know.

All is good....valve in line correctly.......Triple B ran flawlessly on the track.....next up is Harris Hill compliments of Rychman Motorsportscar first week-end in March.

BTW, visiting fellow bunny owner Rick in Calgary this week.

All is good....valve in line correctly.......Triple B ran flawlessly on the track.....next up is Harris Hill compliments of Rychman Motorsportscar first week-end in March.

Stay warm Jim! It's a little colder there than it is in Texas :hysterical:

Jim,

Please tell Rick heh and heh to you as well!

Plan for cooooooold weather... and have fun!

VB

Here is a photo of mine. It seems that 2008 is different of a 2007.

Is this right?

IMGP1636.jpg

Doesn't look like it was even installed on your car :headscratch:

Archived