TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Glass roof weight?

cbr1000

Over the past couple years I've seen many posts related to the weight of a GT500. Some posts are on Ford forums, others from people that don't like Ford products. They typically have the same general statements...it can go fast straight, but it can't turn, solid axle, it's too heavy, if they only went to a aluminum engine... and so on. Anybody else see the irony in the GT500 finally going to a Ai block which I'm guessing shaves off a 100lbs, but then some people are adding glass roofs?

Whats the weight difference between 2010 and 2011 engine?

Anybody know how much a glass roof weighs?

MMR sells both iron and aluminium 5.4L shortblocks.

Their ad says the Al. shaves 100lbs off of the iron block offering.

So the '90-100lb' statements you've seen here on TS sound pretty accurate.

I can't comment on the glass roof vs. steel roof as I have no idea.

HTh,

Phill

read some where yesterday the glass roof is actually lighter. will try to find it again.

nm. maybe I was wrong. found another article today talking about weight and they were just comparing the glass top to the convertible and the glass option is lighter. also says its not sure how much weight the glass adds but it "should not be significant enough to cause a reduction in performance."

When the glass roof was first offered in the Mustang GT, folks were measuring the difference at about 24 - 28 lbs heavier than with the steel roof.

I finally found a posted weight of 24lbs additional. That seems too low? I can imagine it would be scary getting hit and having the roof pop off or in on top of you...

I finally found a posted weight of 24lbs additional. That seems too low? I can imagine it would be scary getting hit and having the roof pop off or in on top of you...

I figured it would be more than 24lbs too. I thought that way, because like a 'vert, (I thought) they'd have to beef up the belly pan of the car since there is no top to add cross/triangle bracing to the pan.

I don't imagine the glass roof adds all that much strength by itself but maybe so. And weight, would a sheet of glass weight much more than a sheet of steel?

That's why I are not a engineer,

Phill

Over the past couple years I've seen many posts related to the weight of a GT500. Some posts are on Ford forums, others from people that don't like Ford products. They typically have the same general statements...it can go fast straight, but it can't turn, solid axle, it's too heavy, if they only went to a aluminum engine... and so on. Anybody else see the irony in the GT500 finally going to a Ai block which I'm guessing shaves off a 100lbs, but then some people are adding glass roofs?

Anybody know how much a glass roof weighs?

I went to the car show this last weekend and saw the 2011 GT-R premium v, it weighs basically the same as the 2010 GT500. It has the exact front - rear weight ratio as the 2010. It cost 84k and has about 488hp. Funny noone ever talks about the GT-R's weight and front - rear ratio, even though it is basically identical. This complaint is similar to the "is it a real Shelby" argument. Some people are always looking to get under other's skin or be negative. If they drove a 2010 and said it can't handle, then their a professional road coarse racer. It handles nearly as well as my Vet, & 300z. Plus you don't have to baby it driving on the street bc it's soo low, at the stock height.

I figured it would be more than 24lbs too. I thought that way, because like a 'vert, (I thought) they'd have to beef up the belly pan of the car since there is no top to add cross/triangle bracing to the pan.

I don't imagine the glass roof adds all that much strength by itself but maybe so. And weight, would a sheet of glass weight much more than a sheet of steel?

That's why I are not a engineer,

Phill

Yes sir when the steel is .080 and the glass is 1/4".

Archived