TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What clutch kit do I get?

AaronG

The clutch on my 09 GT500 decided to go out at 10k miles. The dealer won't do it under warranty so they want to sell me new clutch for 3300 dollars. For that money I would rather get a McLeod or something similar. What is the best clutch kit to get for my ride? I would appreciate parts numbers and whatever else you can give me so I can get my girl running again. The dealer says my car was produced 5 days after the TSB. I call bullshit. My friends told me I was an idiot spending 60k on a Ford; in hindsight I guess they were right. It's good to know Ford can post a 3.5 million dollar profit but they can screw over a twice wounded soldier that spent his deployment money on one of their American cars. I really miss my Z06 right now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Aaron

The clutch on my 09 GT500 decided to go out at 10k miles. The dealer won't do it under warranty so they want to sell me new clutch for 3300 dollars. For that money I would rather get a McLeod or something similar. What is the best clutch kit to get for my ride? I would appreciate parts numbers and whatever else you can give me so I can get my girl running again. The dealer says my car was produced 5 days after the TSB. I call bullshit. My friends told me I was an idiot spending 60k on a Ford; in hindsight I guess they were right. It's good to know Ford can post a 3.5 million dollar profit but they can screw over a twice wounded soldier that spent his deployment money on one of their American cars. I really miss my Z06 right now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Aaron

Sorry to hear about the dealer doing this to you. Previous posts have mentioned Spec, RAM and McLeod. I opted for the McLeod twin disc RXT based on the advice of Lethal Performance. Haven't gotten around to installing it yet but have the car booked to do this on saturday. I got the adjustable slave cylinder as well. Total cost was ~$1,300 I think. Much less than OEM and the RXT is supposedly rated up to 1,000hp. There have been very good reviews of the Spec clutches--do a search on the forum for more.

I haven't had a problem yet, got around 6,000mi on my 2009 pre TSB fix car (build date was July 2008, TSB fix supposedly came in August 20+/_ 2008). But I will do this now as a preventive measure. I think some guys have installed the 2010 clutches too our versions without any problems.

Dan

Sorry to hear about the dealer doing this to you. Previous posts have mentioned Spec, RAM and McLeod. I opted for the McLeod twin disc RXT based on the advice of Lethal Performance. Haven't gotten around to installing it yet but have the car booked to do this on saturday. I got the adjustable slave cylinder as well. Total cost was ~$1,300 I think. Much less than OEM and the RXT is supposedly rated up to 1,000hp. There have been very good reviews of the Spec clutches--do a search on the forum for more.

I haven't had a problem yet, got around 6,000mi on my 2009 pre TSB fix car (build date was July 2008, TSB fix supposedly came in August 20+/_ 2008). But I will do this now as a preventive measure. I think some guys have installed the 2010 clutches too our versions without any problems.

Dan

I talked to the guy at Lightning Performance and he is going to call Spec tomorrow and see what he can do for me as far as pricing(Spec is closed for the day). Really nice guy. I do a lot of driving on the streets. Would the clutch you are putting in your gt500 be good for normal traffic conditions? If you wouldn't mind, steer me to the dealer who hooked you up. Thanks.

I talked to the guy at Lightning Performance and he is going to call Spec tomorrow and see what he can do for me as far as pricing(Spec is closed for the day). Really nice guy. I do a lot of driving on the streets. Would the clutch you are putting in your gt500 be good for normal traffic conditions? If you wouldn't mind, steer me to the dealer who hooked you up. Thanks.

I went with the spec and i love it.

I have the SPEC Twin Disc, SS trim ( P/N SFG5SST ). So far I'm very, very happy with it. Tracked the car pretty hard at the Bash and the SPEC still shifts nice with no chatter or slip.

Those are the ones I'm looking at. The guy at lightning says I should get the "smoothest engagement" H-Trim. What do you think?

Those are the ones I'm looking at. The guy at lightning says I should get the "smoothest engagement" H-Trim. What do you think?

There is no Spec Super Twin 'H', it's avail is the SS, P, ST, and E trim levels, in that order too in terms of holding power and price. I went P trim for my power level and in case I do more........and installing this spring

I went with the st-trim becuses i like to go to the track. didnt want to do another clutch job. the clutch is a little harder to push then stock but not bad at all. all i can say is i love mine

There is no Spec Super Twin 'H', it's avail is the SS, P, ST, and E trim levels, in that order too in terms of holding power and price. I went P trim for my power level and in case I do more........and installing this spring

I went with the Spec Super Twin "P" triim, pretty much an in or out proposition as far as operation. Maybe a little aggrssive if you just drive the street, but is bullet proof on the track.

Hi Aaron, call Lethal Performance and compare what they recommend and prices with the others. I was very happy with the purchase cost and service. They offer the other brands too. All I know about the McLeod is that they told me they use that for their project cars, it was their recommendation and the price is great. I will let you know about the McLeod after this weekend if all goes Ok with the installation. If you do change the clutch go for the short throw shifter at the same time. Meantime you drop the tranny you can change it. Everyone says it is great and well worth the cost. By the way, I asked the Ford dealer that sold me my GT500 what cost to replace OEM parts and it was somewhere in the $3,000+ stratosphere range. No brainer. Sorry Ford....

Regards,

Dan

I've been researching this as well... and would recommend... while you're in there... replace the DriveShaft to a1 piece, aluminum unit. ;)

And My recommendation for 'every day' streetability is the SPEC SFG5SST. Good to 900 Ft Lbs... you should be fine.

If you track the car.. move up one possibly.

Peace,

Dave

I've been researching this as well... and would recommend... while you're in there... replace the DriveShaft to a1 piece, aluminum unit. wink.gif

And My recommendation for 'every day' streetability is the SPEC SFG5SST. Good to 900 Ft Lbs... you should be fine.

If you track the car.. move up one possibly.

Peace,

Dave

Do the spec clutches include the flywheel?

Yup... Spec includes entire Package... including Flywheel, Clutch, Pressureplate, Throwout bearing, pilot bearing... the works... all for as litte as $1,259 delivered!

And it includes an 'Aluminum Flywheel'.. .and the Pressre Plate is Aluminum too! Gonna Rev Nicely!!

Spec goes from our Factory 8.5" Dual disk setup... to a Dual 10" setup!

I'm 'THIS' close to purchasing myself... but I'd like to find a 'used' 1 piece aluminum driveshaft first!

Dave

Archived