TEAM SHELBY FORUM

rear spoiler question

Are the rear spoilers on our gt 500s really functional or are they more for looks.

I read some where that they are functional to some degree.

Also, look under the car at the big rubber air deflectors. They help channel the air to make the car faster.

They are higher speeds, around 110+. The orignal spoiler that was on the concept had much more downforce on it and it worked at lower speeds in the around 80mph, but for some reason we didn't get it.

There was a thread about this a good while ago that showed a photo of the car in a wind tunnel. The conclusion was that the airflow coming off the roof of the car is well above the spoiler. The GT 500 race cars have the wing they do in order to get it up into the airflow. Hopefully, someone can direct you to that thread. I am at work and unable to look for it.

Jim

I read some where that they are functional to some degree.

Also, look under the car at the big rubber air deflectors. They help channel the air to make the car faster.

Pretty sure the rubber wiper assemblies are designed to protect the fuel tanks from road debris. I could be wrong? I had to remove mine when I installed the Steeda 3 point Torque Box Frame Rail Braces.

I don't think the spoilers on our cars are *that* functional, certainly nothing like the one pictured below......I'm having one custom made for my GT 500......varnished too

incrediblyawesomespoiler.jpg

Those spoilers were recalled after several bongs rolled off, causing strict use of rolling papers.

Those spoilers were recalled after several bongs rolled off, causing strict use of rolling papers.

That sounds like my generation O-pining intelligently there! Try driving and rolling with one hand.... used to do cigs that way in Australia with roll-y bacca, but the other material... not so easy. Need a rest stop

There was a thread about this a good while ago that showed a photo of the car in a wind tunnel. The conclusion was that the airflow coming off the roof of the car is well above the spoiler. The GT 500 race cars have the wing they do in order to get it up into the airflow. Hopefully, someone can direct you to that thread. I am at work and unable to look for it.

Jim

Hey Jim;

If this is true it makes the SILLY excuse for the v/6-KR

spoiler even SILLIER??????? :hysterical:

I don't think the spoilers on our cars are *that* functional, certainly nothing like the one pictured below......I'm having one custom made for my GT 500......varnished too

incrediblyawesomespoiler.jpg

Don't forget to ask for the latest design with the Gurney Flap! :hysterical:

Hey Jim;

If this is true it makes the SILLY excuse for the v/6-KR

spoiler even SILLIER??????? :hysterical:

Why do some people get sand in their vaginas when it comes to the KR spoiler? Is it solely because the V/6 mustang had it?

Lets pretend that you could only find that spoiler on the KR....I bet those same people would want one for their car.

The KR went through a lot of wind tunnel testing and they needed a spoiler that would produce less down force. Hey guess what? They discovered that Ford already had a spoiler in the parts bin that would do the trick so....instead of fabricating a costly new one, they took from Ford what would work.

To be honest, the KR spoiler looks rather nice on the car. I like the look of the ribs on top of the spoiler.

The orignal spoiler that was on the concept had much more downforce on it and it worked at lower speeds in the around 80mph, but for some reason we didn't get it.

The original GT500KR that was hitting the show circuit used the standard GT500 rear spoiler, as depicted here. The GT500KR development vehicles used the V6 spoiler.

post-23237-12648927167_thumb.jpg

There was a thread about this a good while ago that showed a photo of the car in a wind tunnel. The conclusion was that the airflow coming off the roof of the car is well above the spoiler. The GT 500 race cars have the wing they do in order to get it up into the airflow.

The airflow and how dirty it can become are a function of speed, among other things. Here's a shot of a Mustang Challenge car being wind tunnel tested. These style wings work well at speed, but not necessarily when not. Study these closely...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0df11b3127ccef96851c60bac00000030O00AbNmbhq2aNWQPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0df11b3127ccef969b49fea6300000030O00AbNmbhq2aNWQPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0df11b3127ccef9692a3aea8900000030O00AbNmbhq2aNWQPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

Remember, the FR500 series cars are typically equipped with rather larger front splitters as well as larger read wings (depending on series). The objective being balance (when the rules are designed to allow it anyway).

Pretty sure the rubber wiper assemblies are designed to protect the fuel tanks from road debris. I could be wrong? I had to remove mine when I installed the Steeda 3 point Torque Box Frame Rail Braces.

Everything I've ever seen in print regarding the underbelly 'rubber' pieces confirm your assertion.

The KR spoiler (taken from the V6 Mustang?) was said to be more functional than the standard GT500 one.

According to at least one reputable source...

Because SVT wanted better front-end stability, they fitted a prominent carbon-fiber splitter to the restyled nose, moving the center of pressure nearer the front, and closer to the car’s center of gravity.

Despite the mini tail spoiler seen on the new KR, rear downforce was actually reduced. The result, says SVT, is a more balanced vehicle.

And yes, the spoiler was taken from the V6 parts bin (although there are at least two different V6 spoilers).

Why do some people get sand in their vaginas when it comes to the KR spoiler? Is it solely because the V/6 mustang had it?

Lets pretend that you could only find that spoiler on the KR....I bet those same people would want one for their car.

The KR went through a lot of wind tunnel testing and they needed a spoiler that would produce less down force. Hey guess what? They discovered that Ford already had a spoiler in the parts bin that would do the trick so....instead of fabricating a costly new one, they took from Ford what would work.

To be honest, the KR spoiler looks rather nice on the car. I like the look of the ribs on top of the spoiler.

You aren't the only one that noticed and liked the ribs...

Out back is a revised spoiler lip that cleverly mimics the diffuser design below...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/28/first-drive-2008-shelby-gt500kr-part-1/

I switched to the V6 spoiler myself for a couple of reasons. First was to address the fact that rearward vision is reduced with the rather upright/large stock GT500 spoiler. While it looks cool from an adolescent perspective, the adult in me was more concerned with safety when backing up. The KR spoiler really improves rearward vision. Secondly, was to simply follow what Ford's own engineers discovered - that it met the KR's performance criteria better than the stock unit did. So while many are always looking to be bigger, I wanted to remove the impediment and switch to a smaller unit.:)

It was easy to find a V6 owner that had switched his stock spoiler for a bigger one. I even found one that matched in color.

post-23237-12648928751_thumb.jpg

post-23237-12648927934_thumb.jpg

post-23237-12648928479_thumb.jpg

post-23237-126489286088_thumb.jpg

post-23237-126489288706_thumb.jpg

post-23237-126489290094_thumb.jpg

Condor label was an interesting find...

post-23237-12648927167_thumb.jpg

post-23237-12648927934_thumb.jpg

post-23237-12648928479_thumb.jpg

post-23237-126489286088_thumb.jpg

post-23237-12648928751_thumb.jpg

post-23237-126489288706_thumb.jpg

post-23237-126489290094_thumb.jpg

:hysterical:

I would not know anything about "SAND IN VAGINAS"...............

But what I do know is that I do not believe the wind tunnel testing excuse........

If you post the proof that is undisputable of this wind tunnel testing that makes

the v/6 spoiler more desirable than I will apologise...............

I believe the real reason they made the change could be availability and the

number of these that were readily available to be installed which translates

into cost factor...........

You can tell that I definately like my stock GT500 spoiler better..........

I am looking forward to apologising so please proove me wrong.........

Okay Mr. "VAGINA"???????????? :rolleyes:

I try hard to find links to resources that back up my point - whenever I post. In this case, whether or not there was/is an advantage to the V6/KR rear spoiler over that of the OE GT500 spoiler. DDT, if you actually took the time to read the above, I don't see how you could see otherwise. Reading through your post, it would appear you've experienced what is known as cognitive dissonance. Either you're in denial or your personal preference (as you stated yourself) has overcome your ability to reason. I'm not sure which (or both) but then you rationalize...

I believe the real reason they made the change could be availability and the

number of these that were readily available to be installed which translates

into cost factor

Where did you come up with that? Thin air? If you have a link that states anything related to your assertion - I'd love to see it. Beyond that, read my post above and allow it to sink in for a moment. I'll give you a hint.

The change was about balance.

I am looking forward to apologising so please proove me wrong.........

Okay Mr. "VAGINA"???????????? :rolleyes:

Here ya go Mr. "sand in the vagina"

GT500KR Press Release

.......For example, a new front splitter and revised rear spoiler aid in aerodynamic improvements, adding downforce over the front axle and moving the center of aero pressure forward in the vehicle to improve high-speed balance and stable, predictable braking character.

........At the rear, the new GT500KR has a less prominent spoiler, a design to balance front-to-rear downforce variances. That’s an important part of its balance and poise at speed.

.......he new GT500KR’s handling is the result of a clever combination of chassis engineering and aerodynamic honing, proven by its 1.0g lateral acceleration skidpad capability.

“The new GT500KR handling story is all about balance,” said Jamal Hameedi, chief engineer of Ford SVT.

Wow. Jamaal and I think alike!:)

Some more interesting statements from that link...

You have to experience the new KR at speed in a curve to feel the difference,” Pfeiffer said. “It has an absolutely minimal aero moment of just 54 lb.-ft. at 120 mph, a 92 percent improvement versus the GT500. That is central to its confident handling ability. Because it’s just as happy at 120 as it is at 60, the GT500KR is a very special performance car.

Our computer model predicts a four-tenths-of-a-second zero-to-150 acceleration effect from the aero alone. That makes the horsepower go farther.

Thanks for that link.

Tob

Well thanks for the Link and Reinforcement of opinions as I guess

I am at a disadvantage not being an Airodynamics Engineer.....

After reading the article it would still be helpfull to understand by

seeing the actual wind tunnel test effects on both the GT500

and the KR with their respective rear spoilers.....

Of coarse if I were to trade my GT500 in for a KR I would also want

to believe everything in that article as Gospel????????

That's exactly what they are.

bj

Of coarse if I were to trade my GT500 in for a KR I would also want

to believe everything in that article as Gospel????????

Specifically, name that which you don't "believe" from within the link.

That's exactly what they are.

bj

That is what I figured the rubber spoilers to do. Someone else also pointed out that they were there to prevent wind from howling between the body and fuel tank. If you look it's pretty much a 90 degree angle where the body turns up in front of the fuel tank. Just a random thought.

Specifically, name that which you don't "believe" from within the link.

It is Simple my Friend. I realy don't believe the Spoilers make any measurable difference........

I was real excited with the prospect of the coming of the new KR and really like the

looks of the Spoiler on mine.........When they decided to use the same Spoiler on the

KR as the v/6 Mustangs is my only complaint on the KR..... Makes it look Wimpi in

comparison to the GT500 version........IMHO..........

I will repeat...........Please show me the "WIND TUNNEL TESTS" with the two Spoilers

in question??????

Thank's.

Well I can't argue with the statements from numerous factory engineers or representatives regarding the choice to switch to the V6 spoiler. If you don't want to accept their professional opinion - fine.

If I can dig up some coefficient of drag numbers for either spoiler, I'll be sure to post them on this thread for you.

Tob

Well I can't argue with the statements from numerous factory engineers or representatives regarding the choice to switch to the V6 spoiler. If you don't want to accept their professional opinion - fine.

If I can dig up some coefficient of drag numbers for either spoiler, I'll be sure to post them on this thread for you.

Tob

Good Day All, We have had an oppurtunity to meet with several Ford engineers at numerous SVTOA events. Specifically we met with some who were heavily involved in KR development. They all said that they noticed a problem with GT 500 handling at high speed on the track. That problem was front end lift. The result was what is known as the KR front splitter which diverts more air and provides more front end down force. They then found that the car was not "balanced" (their expression - not mine) which led to their use of the V-6 rear spoiler. I don't think any wind tunnels were involved, just seat of the pants on the track experience. Jamal was one of the Ford engineer's involved and his comments quoted here match what we were told at the track. They said and I believe that the combination of KR front splitter and V-6 rear spoiler led to a better aero balanced car at speed on the track. They also commented that the KR spoiler, which sticks out further and does not have the GT 500 indentions in it, helps slightly with cooling since it diverts more air to the radiator.

ON the "the only reason is cost" analysis. Look at the KR hood. It is a work of art and very expensive. That does not seem to indicate that a few dollars (the cost difference between our GT 500 rear spoiler and a V-6 rear spoiler) would have made any differrence to them. Just MHO.

The facts are the KR has a different front spoiler. We know it's larger and will divert more air. That seems to mean that some form of different rear spoiler was called for. I accept their explanation and the article quoted in this link as the most reasonable explanation for the changes. Besides, we all want the KR splitter. It just looks cool and curbs be d-----ed.

............I was real excited with the prospect of the coming of the new KR and really like the

looks of the Spoiler on mine.........When they decided to use the same Spoiler on the

KR as the v/6 Mustangs is my only complaint on the KR..... Makes it look Wimpi in

comparison to the GT500 version........IMHO..........

Why don't you get a KR and swap out the rear spoiler from a GT-500 ?

Archived