TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone See A Problem Here?

shelbymotorsports

Although some might think the Shelby American Registrars are just sitting around below is a perfect example on what they spend many hours being on the lookout for.

Just one aspect of their many duties that you don't see.

Steve

PS- This was attached to a V6 Mustang rebadged as a GT500.

Fake Dash Plaque.jpg

Fake Dash Plaque.jpg

Although some might think the Shelby American Registrars are just sitting around below is a perfect example on what they spend many hours being on the lookout for.

Steve

I see chrome bezels

Thanks for the work you do Steve

Steve

The blue S H E L B Y font in the logo looks strange, because it is strange, because it is the WRONG font!

Nice catch!

-Pockdog

BUT.....is that the V6's Mustang VIN# on the Plaque?

Yup and that what makes it even more dangerous. You know its not a far stretch to think that the seller would tell potential buyers this was a "special" Shelby built just for him. And show the buyer how the vin numbers match as his proof.

Steve

I really do not thing anyone is that stupid. A person shopping for a Shelby always knows what to look for . Especially when you open the hood a see a Six instead of a 5.4 hand made motor. No worry on that one. WIth all the information here and on the internet it is a different world and a person cannot be fooled like before, with fakes around. It is just too easy to get the right information. SUDDEN.

I really do not thing anyone is that stupid. A person shopping for a Shelby always knows what to look for . Especially when you open the hood a see a Six instead of a 5.4 hand made motor. No worry on that one. WIth all the information here and on the internet it is a different world and a person cannot be fooled like before, with fakes around. It is just too easy to get the right information. SUDDEN.

Sudden just this month I've had to let two separate people know that the Shelby GT they purchased was really a Mustang GT with some GT500 badges and aftermarket parts.

Although we think no one could get fooled with a V6 GT500 what's to say the seller doesn't try to pass it off as a prototype or a one of one car built because..... (fill in you own story)

There is a reason you still see those fake car ads / ebay auctions where the seller had to leave the country unexpectedly so he's willing to sell his Shelby cheap and of course he can ship the car anywhere for free. There are people that take the bait so the scammers continue to fish.

Just because we know the facts doesn't mean everyone else does.

Steve

Steve

I recently saw a auction on e-bay where the guy would make you pretty much any badge you wanted, with your VIN on it. And his said CS Shelby too.

If I run across it again, I'll grab the url and post it.

It wasn't that long ago so it might still be up. I can't remember the search parameter I used but I *usually* use either 2010 Shelby GT500 (or GT 500), Shelby GT500/GT 500 or just plain Shelby. I think it was under the latter.

Phill Pollard

I recently saw a auction on e-bay where the guy would make you pretty much any badge you wanted, with your VIN on it. And his said CS Shelby too.

If I run across it again, I'll grab the url and post it.

It wasn't that long ago so it might still be up. I can't remember the search parameter I used but I *usually* use either 2010 Shelby GT500 (or GT 500), Shelby GT500/GT 500 or just plain Shelby. I think it was under the latter.

Phill Pollard

Please do. If it's the person I'm thinking of they were already advised by Shelby Licensing to stop selling those unauthorized dash plaques.

Steve

Although we think no one could get fooled with a V6 GT500 what's to say the seller doesn't try to pass it off as a prototype or a one of one car built because..... (fill in you own story)

There is a reason you still see those fake car ads / ebay auctions where the seller had to leave the country unexpectedly so he's willing to sell his Shelby cheap and of course he can ship the car anywhere for free. There are people that take the bait so the scammers continue to fish.

Just because we know the facts doesn't mean everyone else does.

Steve

You mean you can't trust people on the internet?!?!!? What is this country coming to!!

And for the record not everyone goes shopping for a Shelby. I went looking for a GT500 and was shown my Shelby GT that the salesman told me was a GT 350! I wasn't aware these cars even existed up until that point. Thank God I wasn't sold a fake! After I bought mine I talked with another dealer who told me they would sell me a Mustang GT with a "Shelby upfitter package and that is the Shelby GT" Needless to say I'm a little bit more informed now.

Thank you Carroll, Steve, Roger, Bud and all else who make our cars so worthwhile!

Doug

Please do. If it's the person I'm thinking of they were already advised by Shelby Licensing to stop selling those unauthorized dash plaques.

I just ran a search using "SHELBY" as my parameter and looked through over 2500 items.

I did not find the faux CSM dash plaque.

I originally ran across it randomly and when I do again, I'll grab the URL and get it to you.

I seem to remember him calling it something strange, which is what got me to look at it in the first place so I don't think running a search using "SHELBY DASH PLAQUE" is going to find it...which is most likely the reason he was calling it something strange.

You might want to run a search like I did because there are many MANY other *obvious* fakes using the Cobra (fuse box covers, etc) logo/emblem.

And I know how Copyright laws are and fully understand that Shelby MUST go after infringments or lose their rights to it.

I'll keep trying, randomly. If he's still putting them out there, I'll eventually run across it.

HTH,

Phill Pollard

I think this is the Guy on Ebay making the Dash Plaques. If you look at the Photo in the First Post, look at how it fits to the A/C Vents, see the Gaps? Now look at the Plaques in the Ebay Auction, same Gaps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-05-06-07-08-09-Shelby-GT-Style-CS-Dash-Plaque_W0QQitemZ130356972689QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1e59e18c91

I think this is the Guy on Ebay making the Dash Plaques. If you look at the Photo in the First Post, look at how it fits to the A/C Vents, see the Gaps? Now look at the Plaques in the Ebay Auction, same Gaps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-05-06-07-08-09-Shelby-GT-Style-CS-Dash-Plaque_W0QQitemZ130356972689QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1e59e18c91

I'm pretty sure that's the same guy I saw because the pic with the girl on the red mustang was the same.

Someone could always "ask buyer a question" and see if he'll dupe a Shelby CSM plate, to see if he's honest.

Phill

The wierd thing is that anyone thinking they had a gt500 with a six is just wrong!

If they don't know a GT500 has more than 6 cylinders, they deserve what they get. :hysterical:

The Fake Dash Plaque is definitely a problem though.

Perhaps the Shelby legal team should do a sting operation on that guy. Order a "Shelby" plaque and see if he makes one. If he does, then they should NAIL HIS ASS.

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

That would make a GREAT DD. It has a decent price tag to.

I hate to mention this but the signature on this fake

dash plaque looks to be more Genuine than the

signature on my Guaranteed Authentic dash plaque.......

Just sayin........... :huh:

Here is a strange one- http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Caroll-Shelby-Autographed-Dash-Plaque_W0QQitemZ300397603022QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f117a8ce

What I find odd, is this guy says it was for his 2010 GT500, but its just a blank plaque with what appears to be Carroll's signature, and the curved dash plaques wont fit the 2010+ because the A/C vents are different...

but then he throws in some random cert of authenticity and a Team Shelby membership plaquette like that makes it legit....

It might be legit. The CS Foundation was offering dash plaques just like that one last year. I'm not sure if they still do.

Here is a strange one- http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Caroll-Shelby-Autographed-Dash-Plaque_W0QQitemZ300397603022QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f117a8ce

What I find odd, is this guy says it was for his 2010 GT500, but its just a blank plaque with what appears to be Carroll's signature, and the curved dash plaques wont fit the 2010+ because the A/C vents are different...

but then he throws in some random cert of authenticity and a Team Shelby membership plaquette like that makes it legit....

Archived