TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Kicker in a convertible

fakesnake

I have just purchased the Kicker Audio system for my convertible. I know that the rear shelf speakers will not be used in this application. The sub appears to be 1/2 the size and weight of the shaker 1000 sub I took out last weekend. I am not with the car yet as it is stored 100 miles from me right now. Does anyone know why this is NOT FOR CONVERTIBLES? So far I cannot determine the reason. Anyone tried to do this in a convertible? Is it possible that the top folds down over the forward extension of the new sub enclosure? I will post as much info as I can when I am done with the install, including the posibility of modifying the sub box.

For those of you who are wondering my car is a 40th anniversary tribute. It is running a Whipple H/O and FRPP suspension so I should not be doing any damage to the Shelby performance image. By the time I am done with this car I will have more in it than a real 40th anniversary car (:+))

I have just purchased the Kicker Audio system for my convertible. I know that the rear shelf speakers will not be used in this application. The sub appears to be 1/2 the size and weight of the shaker 1000 sub I took out last weekend. I am not with the car yet as it is stored 100 miles from me right now. Does anyone know why this is NOT FOR CONVERTIBLES? So far I cannot determine the reason. Anyone tried to do this in a convertible? Is it possible that the top folds down over the forward extension of the new sub enclosure? I will post as much info as I can when I am done with the install, including the posibility of modifying the sub box.

For those of you who are wondering my car is a 40th anniversary tribute. It is running a Whipple H/O and FRPP suspension so I should not be doing any damage to the Shelby performance image. By the time I am done with this car I will have more in it than a real 40th anniversary car (:+))

Please let me know how this pans out for you, I have a Vert and wanted to do this upgrade also...

THANKS,

GUS

Is it a real Shelby or a Mustang GT?

Umm, not a Shelby Im thinking....

Guys, I am just not happy with the sound Im getting from the kicker....I still prefer the shaker 1000....Oh well....

For the guy that asked Kicker, I spoke to them too on January 9th, at the bash...the answer I got was all their resources were being directed at putting together a system for the F-150 SS truck.

:headscratch: Really? There is 1 of those in existence, and like a whopping 5 on order....great business model kicker...ignore the 10000 vert customers by all means and build the truck a system for those 5 customers....

I was so angry when I walked away with that answer, I wanted to jerk the kicker speakers out of the car and run them over in front of the kicker car....

Guys, I am just not happy with the sound Im getting from the kicker....I still prefer the shaker 1000....Oh well....

For the guy that asked Kicker, I spoke to them too on January 9th, at the bash...the answer I got was all their resources were being directed at putting together a system for the F-150 SS truck.

:headscratch: Really? There is 1 of those in existence, and like a whopping 5 on order....great business model kicker...ignore the 10000 vert customers by all means and build the truck a system for those 5 customers....

I was so angry when I walked away with that answer, I wanted to jerk the kicker speakers out of the car and run them over in front of the kicker car....

Do what I did then. Get a custom sound system. When my car was getting repaired at Shelby during the bash, the tech's listened to it and were blown away! I believe the comments were something to the effect of "we don't have anything like that!" refering to the kicker system. Nothing against kicker but you are not going to be able to buy an off the shelf system that just bolts in and gives you great sound and not just volume but musical quality as well.

Do what I did then. Get a custom sound system. When my car was getting repaired at Shelby during the bash, the tech's listened to it and were blown away! I believe the comments were something to the effect of "we don't have anything like that!" refering to the kicker system. Nothing against kicker but you are not going to be able to buy an off the shelf system that just bolts in and gives you great sound and not just volume but musical quality as well.

You are absolutely right ! We can build a system ourselves. I think that misses the point somewhat. Shouldn't we be offered something for an audio upgrade? I had my car out all day and drove around (top down) doing various and sundry errands, taking kds to marching band practice, B'day parties, Home Depot etc. I loved the day, but the sound is muffled, weak and at high volumes the distortion is embarasssing. I agree with you that a better system can be built than what Shelby/Kicker currently provides. For instance JL audio makes a "Stealth subwoofer enclosure" minus the amp. It is pricey, but I've used JL and it's good stuff. It sells for $900+, then you need the rest of the stuff. I've got to squirell away about 2 K by my calculations. There are better choices for (more powerful) amps than the kicker system. However for those who want just a little more, maybe the 1100-1300 investment in a Kicker makes more sense. Unfortunately convertibles are currently N/A for the single most important component (opinion) for a car audio upgrade.... A trunk mounted Subwoofer enclosure. We with the Verts are a like the step-children of the Shelby world. We don't get the big power (750 super snake), we get 605-630, we don't get the stiffer suspension (unless we buy after title), and we don't get the "good sound system"! Call me a Waa-mbulance! :cry: Oh and most of us paid more for these than the coupes. Is there some liability reason against loud sound systems? I'm middle aged and need a little more sound now!!!

Can you post a breakdown of what you installed? If you have already then please redirect me. In the meantime, maybe we (vert owners) should respectfully request some special attention from SAI.

I would like to quote someone in this forum, " Did I mention that I love this car?"

You are absolutely right ! We can build a system ourselves. I think that misses the point somewhat. Shouldn't we be offered something for an audio upgrade? I had my car out all day and drove around (top down) doing various and sundry errands, taking kds to marching band practice, B'day parties, Home Depot etc. I loved the day, but the sound is muffled, weak and at high volumes the distortion is embarasssing. I agree with you that a better system can be built than what Shelby/Kicker currently provides. For instance JL audio makes a "Stealth subwoofer enclosure" minus the amp. It is pricey, but I've used JL and it's good stuff. It sells for $900+, then you need the rest of the stuff. I've got to squirell away about 2 K by my calculations. There are better choices for (more powerful) amps than the kicker system. However for those who want just a little more, maybe the 1100-1300 investment in a Kicker makes more sense. Unfortunately convertibles are currently N/A for the single most important component (opinion) for a car audio upgrade.... A trunk mounted Subwoofer enclosure. We with the Verts are a like the step-children of the Shelby world. We don't get the big power (750 super snake), we get 605-630, we don't get the stiffer suspension (unless we buy after title), and we don't get the "good sound system"! Call me a Waa-mbulance! :cry: Oh and most of us paid more for these than the coupes. Is there some liability reason against loud sound systems? I'm middle aged and need a little more sound now!!!

Can you post a breakdown of what you installed? If you have already then please redirect me. In the meantime, maybe we (vert owners) should respectfully request some special attention from SAI.

I would like to quote someone in this forum, " Did I mention that I love this car?"

While I know what you mean about wanting an off the shelf type of stereo and having a convertable makes it even harder to get the sound that you want. However, with the 8's that are in the doors you can upgrade them and get some really good mid bass out of them that will blow you away. You just have to use the right components. The stock speakers in our cars suck! Period! If anyone thinks they sound good then you have never heard a good sounding stereo in your life! I say that not to be insulting to anyone but just bringing reality to the situation. Also, the stock deck does not have the adjustments to really help at all in tuning the music. If I had a vert, I would change the door speakers, add an amp and EQ at the very least.

IMHO the reason that there is nothing being offered is that there is not a solution that will be plug and play to really fix the issues of the stock system.

Here's a list of what I have in my car:

1-Pioneer Z110 BT deck. Plays music, CD, MP3, DVD movies, Navigation, etc.

1-Audison Bit One sound processor - It's not only a digital equalizer but it also allows for sound staging. A really trick piece of equipment. You MUST have your system RTA tuned for it to work properly and sound as good as possible.

2-Hertz 1" Mille tweeters - Plays the higher frequencies.

2-Hertz 5 1/4 " Hi Energy speakers

2-Hertz 8" mid-bass speakers - These give you some bass in the doors and play the lower frequency also.

2-JL Audio 5x7's - Replaced the stock rear speakers. Not used right now. No need.

4-Arc Audio 8" sub woofers. - Bass baby! Nice and tight for some good ol' rock and roll!

A ton of sound deadening material. Well maybe not a ton but alot.

1-Arc Audio KS 900.6 amplifier - 6 channel amp that powers the door speakers. Putting out 550 watts.

1-Arc Audio KS 1000.1 amplifier - running the subs. Putting out 1000 watts.

1-Battery - 1 extra sealed battery located in the spare tire well for additional power.

Lots of little stuff. Speaker wire, Power wires, neon lights for the trunk enclosure etc.

While I know what you mean about wanting an off the shelf type of stereo and having a convertable makes it even harder to get the sound that you want. However, with the 8's that are in the doors you can upgrade them and get some really good mid bass out of them that will blow you away. You just have to use the right components. The stock speakers in our cars suck! Period! If anyone thinks they sound good then you have never heard a good sounding stereo in your life! I say that not to be insulting to anyone but just bringing reality to the situation. Also, the stock deck does not have the adjustments to really help at all in tuning the music. If I had a vert, I would change the door speakers, add an amp and EQ at the very least.

IMHO the reason that there is nothing being offered is that there is not a solution that will be plug and play to really fix the issues of the stock system.

Here's a list of what I have in my car:

1-Pioneer Z110 BT deck. Plays music, CD, MP3, DVD movies, Navigation, etc.

1-Audison Bit One sound processor - It's not only a digital equalizer but it also allows for sound staging. A really trick piece of equipment. You MUST have your system RTA tuned for it to work properly and sound as good as possible.

2-Hertz 1" Mille tweeters - Plays the higher frequencies.

2-Hertz 5 1/4 " Hi Energy speakers

2-Hertz 8" mid-bass speakers - These give you some bass in the doors and play the lower frequency also.

2-JL Audio 5x7's - Replaced the stock rear speakers. Not used right now. No need.

4-Arc Audio 8" sub woofers. - Bass baby! Nice and tight for some good ol' rock and roll!

A ton of sound deadening material. Well maybe not a ton but alot.

1-Arc Audio KS 900.6 amplifier - 6 channel amp that powers the door speakers. Putting out 550 watts.

1-Arc Audio KS 1000.1 amplifier - running the subs. Putting out 1000 watts.

1-Battery - 1 extra sealed battery located in the spare tire well for additional power.

Lots of little stuff. Speaker wire, Power wires, neon lights for the trunk enclosure etc.

Thanks for your input, you obviously know quite a lot about car audio. I'm sure "a lot" is a gross understatement and I mean no disrespect. I will personally explore some upgrade options and take your suggestions, especially speaker upgrades, and adding an amp. I want to keep my Nav unit because I intend to keep this car as close to "stock appearance" as possible. No one sees better speakers or that hidden amp. That's my take anyway.

Thanks again for your input. I would welcome others to "Chime in". I know there are more of us out there who want better sound!

Thanks for your input, you obviously know quite a lot about car audio. I'm sure "a lot" is a gross understatement and I mean no disrespect. I will personally explore some upgrade options and take your suggestions, especially speaker upgrades, and adding an amp. I want to keep my Nav unit because I intend to keep this car as close to "stock appearance" as possible. No one sees better speakers or that hidden amp. That's my take anyway.

Thanks again for your input. I would welcome others to "Chime in". I know there are more of us out there who want better sound!

Your welcome. I hope that you find a solution that makes you happy. Audio is a very subjective thing. I think that if you upgraded the door speakers and put some sound deadening material in there while you have the panels apart, along with some more power and an EQ, it will make a huge difference. As for the distortion that you have heard at high volumes, there are several reasons for distortion at high volumes, bad copies of music (bad downloads off of Itunes even), bad speakers, not enough power from the amps and tuning just to name a few. You should be able to keep your head unit and be fine but you might need an EQ also.My set-up is pretty stealth. Unless I put the seats down in the rear you can only tell my the head unit and Bit One control unit that anything has been changed. Before I switched to the BIT One, I ran the ARC Audio MEQ-30. Still have it but I'm selling it is I don't need it any more and will probably never go back to a passive EQ.

Here's a pic of my doors..

Shelby230.jpg

Here's the head unnit and BIT One control unit.

DSC02053.jpg

And here is where I relocated the info buttons.

DSC02059.jpg

Subs

Shelby237.jpg

headscratch.gif Really? There is 1 of those in existence, and like a whopping 5 on order....great business model kicker...ignore the 10000 vert customers by all means and build the truck a system for those 5 customers....

Well I guess we have our answer... banghead.gif

Wow Joker that looks sweet! Are you going to Grabbers M&G this year? I would love to hear your system!

Thanks!

I plan on doing my best to be there. If Grabber is going to have it then we will try and be there again. Had a really good time last year.

Archived