TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Care of Black flat racing Stripe

ultradoug99

What is the best way to clean and maintain the Black racing Stripes on a 2010 GT500?

Thanks

Doug

Hi Doug. When I picked up my car from SAI, I was told to wash as normal and to not use a wax on it, but use a detailing spray to protect it from UV etc. Hope this helps...

Hi Doug. When I picked up my car from SAI, I was told to wash as normal and to not use a wax on it, but use a detailing spray to protect it from UV etc. Hope this helps...

I would have to say correct........Vynel Stripes have to Breath and Wax will not let that happen.

Thanks Leann,

And thank you for serving our country

Doug

Doug@ultrathinpizza.com

If you get stains (wax) on the flat black stripes you can use some white vinegar with a very soft brush to get it out. Be careful though!

A friend of mine has a Dodge Charger Daytona with the big Flat Black Hood Decal. A glob of Pine Sap droped onto it, right in the center of it, he has tried many things to get it off but made it worse. Any Ideas?

Flat black can be very touchy. I would have him try the vinegar but I have had customers who needed to replace the whole stripe due to a stain that would not come out. Flat black certainly looks sharp but as you know it is prone to stains.

A friend of mine has a Dodge Charger Daytona with the big Flat Black Hood Decal. A glob of Pine Sap droped onto it, right in the center of it, he has tried many things to get it off but made it worse. Any Ideas?

Tree sap? Sorry to say, but that stain is pretty much permanent, and your friend will more than likely have to replace the stripe. As you stated, anything you use to clean it will only fade the FB hue on the vinyl which will make the stain look bigger than it originally was. He could try a product called "Goo Gone", but it will probably fade the flat black too.

It's the tar in the sap that leaves the stain after the sticky goo is removed.

As far as the original question is concerned, I have waxed my FB stripes since the begining, and I have never had any issues with fading or staining due to waxing them. Using a wax with proper UV protection also helps the stripes from becoming sun faded too.

Olive oil will take pine sap off your hands fast. A great tip after you've taken the Christmas tree out... but I'm not sure what the oil would do to the stripe if it would also stain or if you could wash it off with soap and water. Ask " Showcar " on the site here. He does detailing and knows his stuff.

Archived