TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR/SS Suspension Systems

JADEDaddy73

Hello everyone. I'm certain I'm showing my Shelby novice status here so I'll just ask. I know that there are significant differences in the suspension systems of the KR and the stock GT500 and that there are also major differences between the SS and the stock GT500. My question is what are the differences between the KR's suspension system and the SS's? If any of you have specific suspension information on both systems readily available and don't mind listing the components on both cars I would greatly appreciate it. I know that the info is available but having both sets of information in one spot would make it much easier for me to make comparisons on my own. Thanks in advance to any and all of you who respond!

Dino

Different springs, shocks and anti-sway bars between regular GT-500 and KR. I don't have a SS, so don't know what's on it.

It's nothing that can't be added to a regular GT-500 (or V6 - GT). If you want to upgrade without going to expensive stuff, get a set of aftermarket springs (like Vogtland, Eibach, Steeda, etc.) and a set of Koni yellows. I'm sure Sam Strano can get you set up and handling well for under $2K.

The FRPP springs & bars are made by Eibach, I believe. Nothing wrong with them, but there are plenty of other options.

I understand that FRPP shocks aren't nearly as good as either Koni or Bilstein. I'll probably go with Koni Yellows when my KR needs shocks. I've got them on my Bullitt (with Vogtland springs & Hotchkis bars), and they're a good, adjustable shock. Remember, these are just S-197 Mustangs we have, and unless you want to more drastically alter the suspension (like with Griggs stuff), there's a ton of good aftermarket stuff around to improve handling. Again, I'd check with Sam Strano S-197 Suspension. He's been "F Stock" national autocross champion for a few years now, and knows well how these cars can be tweaked with some good aftermarket bits.

GT500 does not use Ford Racing suspension parts to my knowledge. The KR uses all Ford Racing suspension. The SS uses Eibach suspension which is different and not the same as Ford Racing suspension.

Guys with SS have complained the ride is too stiff. The KR is a very well balanced car

between brute power and handling and ride.

This is what I understand I could be wrong.

The FRPP springs & bars are made by Eibach, I believe. Nothing wrong with them, but there are plenty of other options.

I understand that FRPP shocks aren't nearly as good as either Koni or Bilstein. I'll probably go with Koni Yellows when my KR needs shocks. I've got them on my Bullitt (with Vogtland springs & Hotchkis bars), and they're a good, adjustable shock. Remember, these are just S-197 Mustangs we have, and unless you want to more drastically alter the suspension (like with Griggs stuff), there's a ton of good aftermarket stuff around to improve handling. Again, I'd check with Sam Strano S-197 Suspension. He's been "F Stock" national autocross champion for a few years now, and knows well how these cars can be tweaked with some good aftermarket bits.

please keep in mind Sam races the 4.6 3v which is much lighter then the GT500

Thanks for all the help. So the one thing that is still confusing through these posts is are the Ford Racing Parts made by Eibach or not? I have heard that the SS's suspension is too stiff on multiple forums and also that the ride on the KR was optimized by Shelby & SVT to be very balanced. I was just confused why Shelby/SVT opted for a different setup on the KR when the power output of the KR and the SuperSnake's 600HP engine are relatively close. The KR was under rated and laid down around 590 FWHP if I remember correctly. My assumption would have been that they used the better parts on the Super Snake because of it's status but then again the KR was also a very special car so why not throw the best at it as well. So what is the final consensus here? Is the KR's suspension/performance balance better than the suspension/performance balance of the SS and should I just leave well enough alone? By the way I LOVE the Super Snakes and I am not bashing them I just wanted to know if the SS's package was better and if I should look into it. Thanks guys!

P.S. Just spoke to Tim at Shelby Store and my 20x9 & 20x10 Alcoa's are being shipped out tomorrow along with my Blue/Silver Baer Extreme Front & Rear brake kits! Can't wait to get them on Friday. Already called JDM(my local mod shop) and setup installation on Thursday of next week. I'll try to post some photos after everything is all done. I shouldn't be this excited about a car parts should I? Anyway thanks again to all of you for your help and also special thanks to Tim & especially Robert Lane for my nice discount on my Wheels/Brake kits!!!!!! You guys are the best!!!!

Dino

Dino: Whoa! Your car will be awesome when finished. I'd love to see it.

Anyway, my understanding in talking to people at SAI on why Shelby didn't do more with the KR as he did with the SS was the fact it was a PRE TITLE car and Ford had their hand in controlling everything and alot of money was spent on DOT/crash testing on various parts being put on the KR like the KR hood which is carbon fiber before it would pass muster as a "new vehicle". It also explains why Ford Racing SVT parts where used instead of outsid vendor partts like Eibach. There was a VERy different cost matrix in developing these two cars due to the fact the KR was pre title.

I spoke to Jim Jr. at JDM also. I'm on the fence man, I'm on the fence about making some serious mods. TVS, brakes, wheels, throttle body, aluminum drive shaft. One side says go for it the other says keep it stock. I'm clearly conflicted now. :wacko:

Anyway, my understanding in talking to people at SAI on why Shelby didn't do more with the KR as he did with the SS was the fact it was a PRE TITLE car and Ford had their hand in controlling everything and alot of money was spent on DOT/crash testing on various parts being put on the KR like the KR hood which is carbon fiber before it would pass muster as a "new vehicle". It also explains why Ford Racing SVT parts where used instead of outsid vendor partts like Eibach. There was a VERy different cost matrix in developing these two cars due to the fact the KR was pre title.

I spoke to Jim Jr. at JDM also. I'm on the fence man, I'm on the fence about making some serious mods. TVS, brakes, wheels, throttle body, aluminum drive shaft. One side says go for it the other says keep it stock. I'm clearly conflicted now. :wacko:

That makes a lot of sense. Din't think about the pre title post title aspect. Anyhow I'll do my homework on the suspension systems. I actually just had a terrific conversation with Colin from Griggs Racing and I think that's the way I'm going to go with the suspension. Another really nice and very helpful guy for sure. Gotta get the funds together so I'll be looking at a few weeks more before I take on the suspension. Colin if your reading, thanks again!!

As far as the mods go, you gotta do what feels right for you. A wise man recently told me that simply driving the car is decreasing the value. So I looked at with that perspective. I didn't buy my car as an investment for retirement. I bought it as and investment in fun! I want to have the most fun I can driving my car, and changing some of those parts makes me feel better and more happy with the car. I have great respect for those who can get a car like a KR and store it away and never drive it because I could never do it. I drive mine every day the sun is shining.

The guys at JDM are very nice and very professional and I don't feel they will take advantage of you. They didn't with me anyway, and the end result is nothing short of amazing so far. Again all the mods you discussed, I did already, and I don't have a single regret. Good luck with your decision!! You're not too far from me, I'm sure at some point we can get our cars together.

(You'll need the mods to stay close though!!!happy%20feet.gif)

Dino

That makes a lot of sense. Din't think about the pre title post title aspect. Anyhow I'll do my homework on the suspension systems. I actually just had a terrific conversation with Colin from Griggs Racing and I think that's the way I'm going to go with the suspension. Another really nice and very helpful guy for sure. Gotta get the funds together so I'll be looking at a few weeks more before I take on the suspension. Colin if your reading, thanks again!!

As far as the mods go, you gotta do what feels right for you. A wise man recently told me that simply driving the car is decreasing the value. So I looked at with that perspective. I didn't buy my car as an investment for retirement. I bought it as and investment in fun! I want to have the most fun I can driving my car, and changing some of those parts makes me feel better and more happy with the car. I have great respect for those who can get a car like a KR and store it away and never drive it because I could never do it. I drive mine every day the sun is shining.

The guys at JDM are very nice and very professional and I don't feel they will take advantage of you. They didn't with me anyway, and the end result is nothing short of amazing so far. Again all the mods you discussed, I did already, and I don't have a single regret. Good luck with your decision!! You're not too far from me, I'm sure at some point we can get our cars together.

(You'll need the mods to stay close though!!!happy%20feet.gif)

Dino

Dino,

It was a pleasure talking with you today, your car sounds awesome. Enjoy it.

Colin

Hey. I actually forgot to post about my discussion with Colin from Griggs. Anyhow as far as the suspension goes his recommendation was for me to go with the Grigg's GR40SS. He gave me an extensive lesson as to why he felt "this" was the system for me and my car based on my interests. I really enjoyed the conversation and learned a hell of a lot from him about my car that I didn't know. The package he he suggested is as follows:

Griggs GR40SS

Quiet Lower Control Arm System

Quiet Panhard Bar

Watts Link Torque Arm

Low Profile TA Cover

He said that this system will give me Porsche handling or as close to it as an S197 Mustang will come to it. Also the Watt's Link Torque Arm will allow me the flexibility to go to a full Watt's Link System down the road if I ever chose to but I probably wouldn't ever need to because I won't be track racing it on a regular basis to see that benefit. Anyway I would have to pay JDM for about 13-14 hours of labor and for 4 quarts of gear oil but the cost for the system delivered from Grigg's should be under $4k. I feel like this will give me the last piece to the puzzle and I should be done after that. Anyway like I said about Jim Jr. from JDM, Colin from Grigg's is right up there. He was very upfront and honest and I am looking VERY forward to getting this system installed after speaking to him. If you ARE going to do the mods through JDM, please take the time to get in touch with Colin either through this forum or through Grigg's website. I just feel like you may also benefit from this system and for the money it seems like it should have been the FIRST thing I did rather than the last!! Talk to you soon.

Dino

I can't wait to see your car with all the parts on. The 20" Alcoas will look great too. You can run the car on the track with the 20" and 18" Alcoas and give us feedback on the feel between the two. Be sure to send pics when you get them on...

Hey. I actually forgot to post about my discussion with Colin from Griggs. Anyhow as far as the suspension goes his recommendation was for me to go with the Grigg's GR40SS. He gave me an extensive lesson as to why he felt "this" was the system for me and my car based on my interests. I really enjoyed the conversation and learned a hell of a lot from him about my car that I didn't know. The package he he suggested is as follows:

Griggs GR40SS

Quiet Lower Control Arm System

Quiet Panhard Bar

Watts Link Torque Arm

Low Profile TA Cover

He said that this system will give me Porsche handling or as close to it as an S197 Mustang will come to it. Also the Watt's Link Torque Arm will allow me the flexibility to go to a full Watt's Link System down the road if I ever chose to but I probably wouldn't ever need to because I won't be track racing it on a regular basis to see that benefit. Anyway I would have to pay JDM for about 13-14 hours of labor and for 4 quarts of gear oil but the cost for the system delivered from Grigg's should be under $4k. I feel like this will give me the last piece to the puzzle and I should be done after that. Anyway like I said about Jim Jr. from JDM, Colin from Grigg's is right up there. He was very upfront and honest and I am looking VERY forward to getting this system installed after speaking to him. If you ARE going to do the mods through JDM, please take the time to get in touch with Colin either through this forum or through Grigg's website. I just feel like you may also benefit from this system and for the money it seems like it should have been the FIRST thing I did rather than the last!! Talk to you soon.

Dino

So you're going to stick with the Ford Racing dampers and springs or go with the Griggs' Koni coil overs?

So you're going to stick with the Ford Racing dampers and springs or go with the Griggs' Koni coil overs?

That's a very good question. Didn't notice that. Thank you for the input. I'll be asking Colin about that. I assume he would be leaving the FR Dampers on since he didn't mention the others but I'll be sure to check. Colin if you're reading this feel free to post on the subject as my answer to the group is going to be yours anyway!

GT500 does not use Ford Racing suspension parts to my knowledge. The KR uses all Ford Racing suspension. The SS uses Eibach suspension which is different and not the same as Ford Racing suspension.

Guys with SS have complained the ride is too stiff. The KR is a very well balanced car

between brute power and handling and ride.

This is what I understand I could be wrong.

The SS comes standard with the FRPP suspension w/ adj. dampers. The Eibach adj. coilovers and swaybars are an upgrade option.

The SS comes standard with the FRPP suspension w/ adj. dampers. The Eibach adj. coilovers and swaybars are an upgrade option.

Correct if I'm wrong, but the the suspension difference between the KR and the GT 500 is the FRPP handling pack (dampers, springs, sway bars, stut tower brace). SVT designed it for the GT500; I'm assuming in anticipation of putting it on the KR but also as an upgrade for GT500 owners.

The SS uses the Eibach system mentioned above. Didn't know the FRPP handling pack was standard on the SS with the Eibach system as an upgrade? So what you're saying is the KR suspension is the standard suspension on the SS?

That's a very good question. Didn't notice that. Thank you for the input. I'll be asking Colin about that. I assume he would be leaving the FR Dampers on since he didn't mention the others but I'll be sure to check. Colin if you're reading this feel free to post on the subject as my answer to the group is going to be yours anyway!

The front struts and springs are going to be replaced with the Griggs units as is the rear.

Colin

Correct if I'm wrong, but the the suspension difference between the KR and the GT 500 is the FRPP handling pack (dampers, springs, sway bars, stut tower brace). SVT designed it for the GT500; I'm assuming in anticipation of putting it on the KR but also as an upgrade for GT500 owners.

The SS uses the Eibach system mentioned above. Didn't know the FRPP handling pack was standard on the SS with the Eibach system as an upgrade? So what you're saying is the KR suspension is the standard suspension on the SS?

Yes. That is why you will see the KR strut tower brace on the 605HP (TVS) versions of an SS. I am fairly sure if you "upgrade" to the Eibach you do not get the strut tower brace.

Sounds like your putting together a fantastic Shelby, congrats Dino. Griggs suspension is a great choice, that's what I have on my SS (GR40TT).

I look forward to seeing your build.

I promise I'll post some pics (maybe a video clip) when Colin gets done with it!! Thanks for the kind words.

Archived