TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Opinions of members who have actually seen it.

Thank you Chip, well written as usual. I, unlike many others here, liked the car from the first look and told Roger the same thing. The car is unlike any other Shelby but retains certain looks of years past, i.e.: 1965 through 1969. This is one special car that I hope to attain as I am very much interested in buying one.

Thanks again Chip and I hope your business endevours go well as planned.

Dave

EDITED:

• 3 weeks later...

Gentleman,

I must be getting real old. I am thankful that this Vet can still push a clutch in. That I can look down at the floor mats and see that CS lettering or the trunk area with letters that spell Shelby and know it was concieved from a Shelby GT-H; put together in Vegas at CS facility to become a Shelby Gt.. As a kid, I dreamed of owning a Shebly, any Shelby and today, I do. Thanks to a chicken farmer that took a Blue blood car to the limites.

Some people see muted pale colors but when they step back they see a Monte. Others, close or far away, still see a bunch of light watery colors or just a painting. Some like Blonds others Red-heads ad-infinitum.

Yes, I am thankful to my higher power that I own a Shebly. I am sure a few of my 50+k brothers, that are not here, would be thankful to own a Shelby, any Shelby.

Chip - thanks for taking the time to view, ask questions and the write-up...

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi for those that have seen it in person, Chip said that the A-Pillar gauges don't impede vision, and I was wondering if that was true only because it just looks like it would. Not that I can even fathom owning one of these amazing cars, but I am just curious. BTW is there anyone that is willing to sell one in the future for a low price :P

Thank You ,

Sean

Hi for those that have seen it in person, Chip said that the A-Pillar gauges don't impede vision, and I was wondering if that was true only because it just looks like it would. Not that I can even fathom owning one of these amazing cars, but I am just curious. BTW is there anyone that is willing to sell one in the future for a low price tongue.gif

Thank You ,

Sean

The gauges extend from the pillar directly toward you, so they dont block anymore vision than the pillar itself. But I see how you would think so.

I'm watching the race. They just did a pretty "up close" feature on the car during a yellow caution. Are we "allowed" opinions based on this or do we have had to actually been there to offer one? ;)

"Looks like what I saw in the photos and the reveal"

I'm watching the race. They just did a pretty "up close" feature on the car during a yellow caution. Are we "allowed" opinions based on this or do we have had to actually been there to offer one? ;)

"Looks like what I saw in the photos and the reveal"

So you are saying what you saw on your 2-D television looks like what you see in a 2-D magazine or a computer screen? Wow, almost like its the same perspective, huh? :headscratch:

:hysterical:

Im sure you can have an opinion anyway...Im just not sure it is relevant in this thread...

but go ahead, its not like anyone else is talking around here... :lurk:

So you are saying what you saw on your 2-D television looks like what you see in a 2-D magazine or a computer screen? Wow, almost like its the same perspective, huh? :headscratch:

:hysterical:

Im sure you can have an opinion anyway...Im just not sure it is relevant in this thread...

but go ahead, its not like anyone else is talking around here... :lurk:

I guess I have some strange affliction; I have 100's of photos and videos of my cars when racing and such. And it's REALLY strange... The damn things look the same in the pictures and videos as they do on my driveway...! I dunno...

/shrug

Sorry, can't resist... I know some people use those "dating" websites.... I'm picturing someone putting "This is just a photo of me, I look better if you see me in person. Really, I do!"

You realize how off-the-wall this topic is, don't you? It seems to be a response to the seemingly mixed reaction to the car. If most people had said "I LOVE the look!" I suspect this topic would not exist. But that's just me?

Don't get all upset now and ridicule me. ;)

Great write up Chip, thanks. I look forward to seeing her in person.

My plans are to hold off on the GT350 until SA has put 500-600 on the road.

Sooooooooooooo, you are not getting one?

j/k sorry.........I couldnt help myself!.

Great write up Chip, many here appreciate your persepctive and expertise!

Thank you.

Just returned form LV and seeing Jim Owens cruising around in one of the pace cars, I am still really in love with the GT350!

i just returned also and as many others have stated, the car just looks better in person. i stopped in thursday at sa and had a chance to really look over the car inside the museum under those lighting conditions. the car really looked great. roger was nice enough to fire up the car for me and the exhaust note is fantastic. i checked out the car again on friday at the speed tv display at the track under natural light and again it did not disappoint.

on friday night during the ts tour at sa we all had a chance again to see the car outside as the sun was setting. i agree there are subtle nuances and lines in the car that just are not captured in the photos. i do not think this is unique with a white car. paint color makes a difference in the way lines are perceived on a car. is it perfect,no. is it good, yes-real good. i understand they are going to remove the "gt350" part of the brushed aluminum badging under the "shelby" and i think that is a good idea. i'm thinking they night sell a couple more of these after all the folks that got a chance to see the car in person plus the milions more that might have had their 1st chance to see the car on tv.

i think it is an excellent car and i cannot wait to drive her and hear her going up and down the power gears.

jmo

No offense GO on the comments...I think everyone should be "constructively allowed" an opinion....

I think where feathers get wrinkled are when people say- (paraphrase) I hate it and why does SA feel the need to put out all these cars? What can a company take from that comment?

They forget that a car business is in the business of selling cars or goes bye bye...

For me, the imprtance of new models has to meet a certain criteria- are they producing a better car than before, or are they producing a car that fits a purpose not yet addressed. If the answer to EITHER of those questions is yes, then full steam ahead with 100% support is what I will give them. I think where SA shines in all this is design input from us, the consumer and enthusiast. Many of the constructive critiques of the car are not only be recieved and considered, but I have heard a few of the most important are already being implimented. This is so clutch for us. We actually get to have the car we want as a group, and step back and think about that when you look at the new camaro design or mustang design from the manufacturers...we NEVER get input on those cars...they release it and like ot or not, thats what you get. I personally really like the concepts GM has put out in both the Hummer H2, the Chevy Volt and the Camaro....then they get to the release version, and it turns into some pathetic watered down cheap assembly version of a car you drooled over....very much like your dating reference, see a 10 in the photo...get a 6.2 when the door opens at the beginning of the date.

As for the reason of the thread, there were many threads voicing opinions, but only a few people who had an opportunity to see this car in person, and as you have read Im sure, there is quite a striking difference in a live view of the car vs. pictures and video...mainly due to the lines of this car. But I can say as a youngster, I thought the same thing about a Cobra until I saw one in person...my first exposure to one I remember thinking it looked like a bar of soap mated with a bubble...but then I saw one in person and the rest is a life long love affair... :salute:

After seeing the car in person this past weekend, I am much more impressed by the design. The only thing I would leave off is a Shelby badge or two.

I have to say, this car looks much better in person than in any photo i have seen to date. The front of the car just looks mean. The interior was done very tastefully. The rear end, well you can only do so much to improve on that point and I think SA done a good job of doing that. I do admit, I did have my reservations about the car, but when I seen it in person, I really do like it.

After seeing the car in person this past weekend, I am much more impressed by the design. The only thing I would leave off is a Shelby badge or two.

Production cars will have Shelby only on the fender badge instead of Shelby GT350.

Also, the new GT350 will be the first Shelby ever to have Carroll's signature (grill badge) as standard equipment.

I can't wait to get mine and put my yellow Terlingua FIA stripes on the left front fender!

I think the point some of us are trying to make is pretty simple, and it's not intended to upset anyone, it's intended to help actually...

I don't think I need to qualify my comments this way, but for whatever it's worth, I have the means to obtain one of these cars. But my initial reaction to seeing the car was that it didn't do much for me in terms of the "look" and how I envisioned what a GT350 would be. Now obviously there is no "right" answer as far as "Is this an appealing vehicle?" in terms of appearance. It's like women; one man's beauty queen is another man's German Shepard. (Sorry for the candor, I have a 'shep and she's beautiful actually!)

It's difficult to think I would commit to spending in excess of $60,000 on something I'm told I will like better if I actually "see one in person"

I live 2,000 miles from Las Vegas. Working 7 days per week, I don't have time to hop on a plane to go look at a car right now.

I think a smart marketer or business person would do well to pay attention to public sentiment if they wish for a product to be a success. It seems that to a man, the reaction to the look of the GT350 has been "mixed" and telling us we'd like it better if we could actually see one is not inspiring confidence. I do take exception also to being rediculed for saying I had seen the car during the NASCAR race, saw it extensively on my "2 dimensional" high def large screen television and it looked the same to me as the car I saw in photos and the reveal. I guess I'm stupid for forming an opinion based on "two dimensional" information.

My point is this- I had my own personal reaction to the car when I first laid eyes on it. Apparently so did a lot of other people. I am an administrator for the oldest and largest Mustang website on the web (Corral.net) which has over 100,000 members and has been around since the early 1990's. (We currently have a KR as our "logo image") I tried to help out and post about the reveal and the car itself, and frankly, the reaction on The Corral was similar to what I had seen in several other places. This is not an insult to Mr. Shelby, to Amy, or anyone else at T/S or Shelby American. It's INFORMATION. I would hope people could see my comments and observations are not intended to rile anyone up or insult them. To those who have ordered the car and think it looks great, that's reality to them. The car looks great. Congrats. I have a different opinion, and I don't see that changing if I "actually see the car"

I wish that the car would be more like the original was; less of the bling...

Thank you for allowing me to comment further.

See, now thats a not so positive opinion I dont mind reading....

I dont think anyone will ridicule you for that, although maybe my 2D comment was taken a little personal when I strictly meant it as a funny....my point being that seeing the car on TV is no different than a picture, except the camera can move and show the car in motion...

I will say, Amy and most the brass at SA stated before the reveal that some would love it, and some would hate it. I think that observation has definitely been spot on by reactions here.

One thing that I kept in mind was- when you are releasing a new version of a classic, everyone should agree that is a GIANT mountain to overcome when so many expectations are set on the car.

While it doesn't LOOK like the original classic we all agree is the holy grail of Mustangs, I focus my critique on the aspect of function. Carroll built the originals to be competitive on the track. He took the current body mustang, and did the best he could to it to make it what it was- a track dominator. This car's design is WAY more about function, and in my opinion, SA had a stacked deck against them with the current body style. They NEEDED the 5.0 engine, and it just so happened it came out on the 2010+ design. You have to concede that while the function of the car is probably the best stock setup ever produced on this model, the looks of the car itself is not the best build for beauty. That rear end is still not my favorite... When you apply this logic to the fact that Shelby needed to overcome these unfavorable lines with "something", slapping decals stripes and a few suspension mods just werent going to cut it, and when you take into consideration that the body changes for the new 350 were created for function of airflow FIRST, you have to allow SA some wiggle room with the overall look of the car. IMHO :salute:

See, now thats a not so positive opinion I dont mind reading....

I dont think anyone will ridicule you for that, although maybe my 2D comment was taken a little personal when I strictly meant it as a funny....my point being that seeing the car on TV is no different than a picture, except the camera can move and show the car in motion...

I will say, Amy and most the brass at SA stated before the reveal that some would love it, and some would hate it. I think that observation has definitely been spot on by reactions here.

One thing that I kept in mind was- when you are releasing a new version of a classic, everyone should agree that is a GIANT mountain to overcome when so many expectations are set on the car.

While it doesn't LOOK like the original classic we all agree is the holy grail of Mustangs, I focus my critique on the aspect of function. Carroll built the originals to be competitive on the track. He took the current body mustang, and did the best he could to it to make it what it was- a track dominator. This car's design is WAY more about function, and in my opinion, SA had a stacked deck against them with the current body style. They NEEDED the 5.0 engine, and it just so happened it came out on the 2010+ design. You have to concede that while the function of the car is probably the best stock setup ever produced on this model, the looks of the car itself is not the best build for beauty. That rear end is still not my favorite... When you apply this logic to the fact that Shelby needed to overcome these unfavorable lines with "something", slapping decals stripes and a few suspension mods just werent going to cut it, and when you take into consideration that the body changes for the new 350 were created for function of airflow FIRST, you have to allow SA some wiggle room with the overall look of the car. IMHO :salute:

Fair enough. Now, if I may make a positive comment? If someone wants one of these, they know what they will pay. No ADM's here. So that is a very good thing.

I think we all know also, especially those of us in the business world, that you can't please everyone. It is what is is. I opted for the 2011 Shelby GT500. While some purists will argue that this is not a "real" Shelby because it's being built at Flatrock and won't be touched by anyone at Shelby American, that's fine with me. I love the '08 I drive currently and don't care where it's built.

Anyway, those of you that ordered or will order one of these GT350's will clearly have something very uncommon and sure to draw a crowd. And in the eyes of the "purists" you have a "real" Shelby...

Enjoy them!

• 2 weeks later...

Few things to know about me in regards to my opinion and reaction to the new GT350.

1. The older GT350 is my favorite of the Shelby cars so naturally I would be excited to see a remake / modern version again.

2. Once revealed I was not awe struck, not in love with the looks of the new one, and frankly a little disappointed.

3. Wanted to be excited and wanted so much to love it but ultimately didn't.

4. I was prepared and expected to not like this version of the 350 in person.

Then I saw it in person.

1. The new 350 is actually very sharp looking. The subtle details on film become much more substantial in real life.

2. The color of the stripes are excellent and typical GT350.

3. The new Crager wheels are VERY cool, especially the center hub area.

4. The Hood and the graphic treatment seemed less goofy and far more interesting in person.

5. The functional rear brake ducts were cool.

Overall my impression of the GT350 in person is that the build feels more substantial than I originally expected, the fit and finish is better in person and the car feels important and demands to be taken serious. IF you are not sure how you feel or if you you might be on the side of not liking the car. You do need to see with your own eyes. I think it will impress you more than you suspect.

Just wanted to mention this here in case anyone might be interested in watching...

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54627-march-17th-a-couple-of-car-guys-having-a-chat/page__view__findpost__p__928992

• 3 weeks later...

I used to own an original '66 GT350. Selling it is one my greatest mistakes.

Then along comes the march issue of Motor Trend and on the cover is the new '11 GT350. I couldn't beieve it. IT'S BACK!!!!

I'm in love all over again. This is a car I have to own. To me it looks great in pictures but you say it's better in person? This I've gotta see!

I will admit that the redundant side marking are too much. The interior looks a bit cramped but I can't wait to climb into one. I've never driven or sat in a car with a gage package on the front pillar. Always seemed to be distracting. Maybe it isn't.

I truely miss my '66. It was loud, hash, hard to steer, hard to stop. but a blast to drive none the less.

I'm sure the '11 will be far more refined and comfortable. The '66 had manual steering and brakes. I'll bet this'll, parden the pun, run circles around the '66.

Can't wait to see one.

GO-SVT - I would like to address a few of your comments:

1) It's difficult to think I would commit to spending in excess of $60,000 on something I'm told I will like better if I actually "see one in person"

I live 2,000 miles from Las Vegas. Working 7 days per week, I don't have time to hop on a plane to go look at a car right now.

2)It seems that to a man, the reaction to the look of the GT350 has been "mixed" and telling us we'd like it better if we could actually see one is not inspiring confidence.

3)My point is this- I had my own personal reaction to the car when I first laid eyes on it. Apparently so did a lot of other people.

4)I have a different opinion, and I don't see that changing if I "actually see the car"

5)I wish that the car would be more like the original was; less of the bling...

1) I agree with and understand that line of thinking. I would be very hard pressed to spend that kind of money on ANYTHING I have not seen in person.

2 & 3) You are EXACTLY right here. The overwhelming majority of people had serious reservations and concerns about the way the car looked.

4) No disrespect here, but what you are missing here is the fact that the overwhelming majority of people who have seen it in person have COMPLETELY changed their minds. Does that mean you will also? Of course not. But I would suggest that it does mean you should have a much more open mind to that possibility. You have painted yourself into a corner so to speak by already saying you dont think you will change your mind if you see it in person. That can become a self fullfilling prophecy. Search this (or any other) site and look for people who have seen it in person and still dont like it. I dont think you will find many. That in itself should speak volumes about the car. I know 5 people who have ordered one and all of them either disliked or even hated the car upon first seeing pictures. They all ordered one immediately after seeing it in person. Consider the 2011 GT350 an automotive optical illusion - what you see, is not what you get! hysterical.gif

5) Again, you are right on here. Way too much for my taste. Amy has stated that the actual production car will have much less "bling".

• 4 months later...

GO-SVT - I would like to address a few of your comments:

1) I agree with and understand that line of thinking. I would be very hard pressed to spend that kind of money on ANYTHING I have not seen in person.

2 & 3) You are EXACTLY right here. The overwhelming majority of people had serious reservations and concerns about the way the car looked.

4) No disrespect here, but what you are missing here is the fact that the overwhelming majority of people who have seen it in person have COMPLETELY changed their minds. Does that mean you will also? Of course not. But I would suggest that it does mean you should have a much more open mind to that possibility. You have painted yourself into a corner so to speak by already saying you dont think you will change your mind if you see it in person. That can become a self fullfilling prophecy. Search this (or any other) site and look for people who have seen it in person and still dont like it. I dont think you will find many. That in itself should speak volumes about the car. I know 5 people who have ordered one and all of them either disliked or even hated the car upon first seeing pictures. They all ordered one immediately after seeing it in person. Consider the 2011 GT350 an automotive optical illusion - what you see, is not what you get! hysterical.gif

5) Again, you are right on here. Way too much for my taste. Amy has stated that the actual production car will have much less "bling".

I thought a followup to this discussion is in order since I now have had a chance to see the car in person, sit in it, hear the exhaust tone, etc.

Does the car look different in person?

I honestly think my initial impressions were pretty spot-on. I do like the front end better after seeing it in person, but I still think that there's too much "style" versus the originals. I loved how the car sounded though!

I took these photos up at EAA AirVenture last week. It was a pleasure to speak to the "higher ups" from Shelby Autos...

6a943ab65b1342abaec40a9cfd085fc7.JPG?uid=cd28e29f-df8d-49c5-bfba-bc23eb744752

234e7436fba24fe291456c2a4aba29e7.JPG?uid=aedfdaa4-2f41-40f2-b2b7-f44c3fabb0e0

d2d41de89f9940e798c45e715a79c49d.JPG?uid=df976e5f-d78b-4e1d-80ca-306ceb501ef8

I have finally seen one in person and love the car. I am not sure though how its going to stack up to the new "Boss package" that is being offered on Aug-12. Since there are no offical specs on the Boss package from Ford we will have to wait ad see, and people will compare that to the GT 350.

I've seen them on several occasions and love them, wish I was one of the guys complaining about the waiting game. On the other hand, I hate the look of the Bugatti Veyron (pictures only, never seen one in person) , but I doubt if my opinion would sway anyone else's decision to buy or not buy one.

Sooooooooooooo, you are not getting one?

j/k sorry.........I couldnt help myself!.

Great write up Chip, many here appreciate your persepctive and expertise!

Thank you.

hysterical.gif

Marji has given me the go ahead, but I'm still holding for now.

• 1 month later...

I must say that in real life the new-new-new GT350 I saw yesterday strikes me as much better looking than I expected from the photographs. Unfortunately it was in company with several other GT350s of the Original persuasion, so it was a little pale in comparison, by my eye. One revelation: the big butt doesn't really look that bad, up close:

4985110405_41920dca08_o.jpg

I mean the car, of course.

Archived