TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Time Going to the Track

09 Red GT500

I hope to be able to take my GT500 to the track in the near future. To that end, I would like to solicit some practical advice on what I need to do to be prepared to spend a day at the track. I'm thinking there are two areas of advice I am looking for:

1. What do I need for me? I know that I need a helmet and I understand the basics of helmet ratings and I have found some vendors online for helmets. What else do I need? What clothes and shoes are best to wear? What else?

2. What do I need to do to my car for a day at the track? I'm not asking for a mod list here. I know that if I want to get the most out of my car I will need cooling upgrades, suspension upgrades, better tires, etc. What I am asking is what do I need to do to take care of my stock GT500 for a day at the track?

If there is any other advice to pass on to me, please do so. My goal is to have fun with my car and learn how to drive it better. This will be my first time driving any car, much less a high performance car on the track. I have no illusions of being faster than anyone else, no worries about letting others pass me, etc. I want to keep the car on the track, have a blast doing so, and then be able to drive my GT500 home with a smile on my face.

Thanks!

I hope to be able to take my GT500 to the track in the near future. To that end, I would like to solicit some practical advice on what I need to do to be prepared to spend a day at the track. I'm thinking there are two areas of advice I am looking for:

1. What do I need for me? I know that I need a helmet and I understand the basics of helmet ratings and I have found some vendors online for helmets. What else do I need? What clothes and shoes are best to wear? What else?

2. What do I need to do to my car for a day at the track? I'm not asking for a mod list here. I know that if I want to get the most out of my car I will need cooling upgrades, suspension upgrades, better tires, etc. What I am asking is what do I need to do to take care of my stock GT500 for a day at the track?

If there is any other advice to pass on to me, please do so. My goal is to have fun with my car and learn how to drive it better. This will be my first time driving any car, much less a high performance car on the track. I have no illusions of being faster than anyone else, no worries about letting others pass me, etc. I want to keep the car on the track, have a blast doing so, and then be able to drive my GT500 home with a smile on my face.

Thanks!

Welcome to "The Club" which I would identify as those who really use these cars the way Mr. Shelby intended (drive them to the track and go).

For Yourself: Make sure the helmet has a recent SA rating. Don't buy one that's about to expire. Make sure of the SA rating. Most clubs/tracks do check and don't allow M (motorcycle) rated helmets. You also need long pants, long sleeve shirt and closed (no sandals) shoes. Natural fiber clothing, like cotton, is best because it does not burn well.

Be aware of "tunnel visiion", it's symptoms and solutions to it's effects. When we get very excited we pump a lot of adreline into our bodys. This causes our vision to narrow, our hnads to clench, and our attention to narrow its focus. Most of us will notice our hand's cramping as we have a "death grip" on the steering wheel. Breath deeply, relax (hard to do in Shelby), and widen your vision/focus.

As a novice you probably will not stress any part of your car. The one change I would seriously consider is to flush out the Ford brake fluid and replace it with some from Motul or a like brand. Search threads on this site for other suggestions. The Ford fluid will heat to the failure point and then fail completely. ONe corner you got brakes and the next nothing. I noticed a slight spongy feeling going into Turn Two at Hallett and slowed down. At Three I had no brakes what so ever. It took about 10 minutes of slow driving to cool the system/fluid down enough to get my brakes back. Other's have posted of this same problem. Again, as a novice you probably will not have any problems but this is one area I would address before any spirited on track driving.

Clean out the car including the trunk. Make sure no coffee cups to blow around or empty coke cans lying in wait under the seats. Be ready to remove the floor mats and anything in the car at the track (have a tarp or mat to place them on or to cover them in the event of rain. Eat a light but good meal that morning. Drink lots of fluid during the day. The saying goes "if you don't need to P you are not drinking enough" holds true at the track.

Your day will start with finding a parking spot, then Tech and a driver's meeting. Most clubs/tracks have forms that are usually presented at registration or Tech. Be ready with your forms filled out ahead of time and take your helmet to Tech. Most events have driver's separated into 3 or 4 groups begining with novice, then experienced, then very experienced with "track cars". Each session is about 15 to 20 minutes long. Most groups get 3 to 5 sessions per day so be prepared for a lot of track time. Gas in a GT 500 may be a probelm. Mine will go through a tank in about half a day's track time so be prepared to refule. Most tracks have fuel available or you can drive out at lunch and get some. Most people get a lot quicker as the day goes along. Be aware of this and extra careful at the end of the day or event. People and vehicles are tired and they are fast. Not a great combination.

If a video/game of your track is available it does not hurt to "drive around" the track at least enough to learn the sequence of corners. Don't expect to learn how to "drive the track" but you can at least learn the layout.

Again, welcome to Open Track!

Good to hear you are going to track your car. You will have fun, it will be safe and you will come away from it addicted (it's a good thing).

The advice by RonB is all good. If you do change out your brake fluid, consider getting stainless steel brake lines installed at the same time. Brakes are a commonly overlooked item for those hitting the track. They concentrate on going fast. RonB's experience is what happens all too often. And you need to be like him -- he learned a little something, fixed it, and is now doing what good drivers do -- passing on to you what he learned so you need not learn it the hard way.

You will also need fire suppression on board. Most tracks will require you to have at least a fire extinguisher (Halon or whatever the current substitute for Halon) is best as it will not leave a mess in your engine compartment should you need to use it.

RonB's advice about clothing says it all. Make sure your pants are not the type that bunch up when sitting. One of the reasons a fire rated driving suit is a good idea is that they are comfortable (it took me a long time to get one as I did not want to be thought of as some sort of poser -- I was stupid on that point). But if you have comfortable clothes, the driving suit can wait as the risk of fire is low. I would, however, get a pair of driving shoes at your first opportunity. They truly do give you a great feel for your pedals. I would not do too much walking in them as they have little support and your feet can end up tired at the end of the day.

Make sure you talk with others at the track about tire pressure. Bring a good gauge and check your pressures as the day warms up. If you are running the stock Good Year tires, you will find them up to the task.

Have a great time at the track. If you can, get an instructor to help you learn the line around the track. So much of track driving is counter intuitive that it is best to not learn bad habits.

I like the fact that you are not trying to be the fastest one out there. You have a car with unbelieveable power but it is nose heavy and you just have to get seat time with that combination to drive it at the level it is capable of.

If you get the chance, let us know how it goes.

Jim

RonB, pretty well sums it up,

my only adder depending on your driving is to look at some performance brake pads, in addition to the fluid ron mentioned, the pads will fade in a hurry due to the weight of the car, and that is very unnerving at the end of the front straight....

Learn the passing rules ahead of time, IE where the passing zones are, what the flag colors are and their meanings, point by procedures etc, and do a lap with an instructor before you go out if you can, will help a ton to get to know the track, the line and what the other guys will be doing.

First track day is about learning, and having a great time, Stay alert and enjoy, Im sure you will get hooked!!

Phil

I took my car out "as is" for the first time on a VERY hot day last summer. The brakes held up for me without fade on a 2.25 mile, 11 turn course. I ran four 20-25 minute sessions and drove the car harder than I could have imagined being completely new to this. So, the bottom line is I was just like you and wanted to take my car out to drive it and have the experiece. Despite the hot temperature the car held up well. That said, now I'm hooked and will doing this a bunch more. I've already purchased new brake pads, brake lines, and fluid for install prior to my next track day.

I was probably pretty lucky I didn't experience any brake fade. However, there was another first time GT500 driver there too who drove quite a bit more conservative than me and he also had no brake fade issues. I wouldn't think of going out again without flushing the fluid, but for the first time I was ok. Also, remember when you pit not to put on your emergency brake, and roll the car forward a couple of feet after the car sits for about 5 mins following your session (don't want pads melting onto the rotors). I drove the car to and from the track without issue, so I say take your car as is and enjoy it. I suspect you'll want more so then you can work on upgrading a few things once you make that determination.

I wore a long sleeve t-shirt, jeans, and a standard sole walking-type sneaker. I also borrowed a helmet. It turned out to be one of the best experiences of my life and the car performed well beyond my expectations. The fun/intensity factor was beyond description. GO FOR IT, but be prepared to get addicted! Have fun and let us know how it goes.

I hope to be able to take my GT500 to the track in the near future.

Do you have an event picked out? The Drivers Edge has a weekend scheduled at Texas World Speedway at College Station on March 13-14. Track Guys also has an event scheduled a couple weeks later at the same track. Both groups have a good program for everyone from novice to crazy.

It's a fun track to run. I was there twice last year along with several other TS members. I'm signed up for the Drivers Edge event. Wish I could make both, but I'll probably have to settle for one. There will be TS folks at both events.

Let me know if you decide to attend one of these.

Drivers Edge also has an event at Motorsport Ranch on Feb 6-7. That's a little closer to home for you. Haven't run that one, but my buddy has.

No matter where you go, you will have a great time.

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm stealing every idea from this, since I plan on putting my car on the track as well sometime in the near future. So thanks again for starting it , and thanks to everyone for all the info.

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm stealing every idea from this, since I plan on putting my car on the track as well sometime in the near future. So thanks again for starting it , and thanks to everyone for all the info.

What part of Houston are you in? I'm downtown.

Lots of very solid advice so far. The only other thing I can think of not already mentioned is to buy a pair of racing gloves. Some tracks will let you get by with any gloves, but others require an SFI spec glove (for good reason). I went with a nice pair of Oakley gloves from Jegs, but there are lots of manufacturers and lots of vendors to choose from.

Also, I'll reiterate Jim's point about shoes. Driving shoes are probably the most overlooked article of track clothing. Good luck.

Ken

09 RED

As far as car prep and cloths, etc. the guys have got you covered on that. Listen to RONB as he probably has more seat time than anyone else on this forum.

In relation to his comments about adrenalin and tunnel vision though, I would like to expound a bit. There are a few things that I always try to consciously think about even after 3 years of OT experience.

First: Always look at the NEXT corner. Keep your eyes up and look far ahead. The natural tendancy, especially going through a corner, is to look at the pavement right in front of your hood. That will lead to no good! Always try to expand your field of vision, and "see" each flag station, every lap; but see it way before you get to it.

Second: Be SMOOTH. And that means everything from accelerating to brakling to shifting to steering. Being forceful may FEEL faster, but it's not. An instructor once told me to pretend that there are four very exspensive glasses of wine, one on each fender of my car. My goal then is not to spill any of the wine while on the track. Now, I love a good glass of wine; so that motivated me :hysterical:

To add emphasis to another of RONB's comments; drink LOTS of water! If you don't have to relieve yourself between each session, your probably not drinking enough water!

So Be smooth, Look up and Have FUN!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I appreciate it more than you know! If there are any more, please don't hesitate to add them.

TRT - I plan to go to Harris Hills for HPDE and Griggs demo that Ryckman Motorsports is putting on the first weekend in March. I hope to do a Driver's Edge event eventually as they are relatively close when they are at the Motorsports Ranch. I'd like to go to TWS sometime as well. I was there a long time ago when the Aggie Sports Car Club would run SCCA events there.

Now, onward to brake improvements...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I appreciate it more than you know! If there are any more, please don't hesitate to add them.

TRT - I plan to go to Harris Hills for HPDE and Griggs demo that Ryckman Motorsports is putting on the first weekend in March. I hope to do a Driver's Edge event eventually as they are relatively close when they are at the Motorsports Ranch. I'd like to go to TWS sometime as well. I was there a long time ago when the Aggie Sports Car Club would run SCCA events there.

Now, onward to brake improvements...

We'll see you in Austin then. My car is scheduled to be one of the Griggs Demo cars. :shift:

TRT - I plan to go to Harris Hills for HPDE and Griggs demo that Ryckman Motorsports is putting on the first weekend in March.

Drive your car on the track before hopping in the Griggs car, in order to get the full effect.

Then lock your wallet up for a night so you don't make the mistake of buying a GR40RT kit on the spot without consulting your wife first. :lol:

Does anyone know about any special equipment needed for my vert like a roll bar, to track my 08? We took the 06 coupe last year to Harris Hill...................this year though I have a vert. Hey 09 red, PM me when you get the chance, I'm interested in any track days in Central Tx. Oh yea there's a car show coming up in Austin at the beginning of March also at the Dell diamond. http://www.mocatx.com/carshow/springshow.html

All really great advise and ideas.

Now I am no expert, and when reading all of the responces I did not come across anything mentioned regarding the helmets. When we started to track our Shelby with the SAAC NW at Portland International here last year, the track steward had just upped the requirements for the helmets. Your helmet must be (at PIR at least), have a SA2000 rating or higher. When we bought or helmets, we found ones with a SA2005 rating. We figure that would last us. The point here is (agian, at least here at PIR in OR) that a helmet with ONLY a DOT rating would not be allowed. I would think that it would be really worth the time and effort to look into the specific requirements of where you will be racing.

Good luck. Tracking your car will become VERY addicting. :happy feet:

All really great advise and ideas.

Now I am no expert, and when reading all of the responces I did not come across anything mentioned regarding the helmets. When we started to track our Shelby with the SAAC NW at Portland International here last year, the track steward had just upped the requirements for the helmets. Your helmet must be (at PIR at least), have a SA2000 rating or higher. When we bought or helmets, we found ones with a SA2005 rating. We figure that would last us. The point here is (agian, at least here at PIR in OR) that a helmet with ONLY a DOT rating would not be allowed. I would think that it would be really worth the time and effort to look into the specific requirements of where you will be racing.

Good luck. Tracking your car will become VERY addicting. :happy feet:

Is that tape on your front end or something else? Looks like you did a hell of a job masking if it is tape. If so, do you use box-cutter type blade to get it so perfect? Looks a lot cheaper and less permanent than clear bra.

Does anyone know about any special equipment needed for my vert like a roll bar, to track my 08? We took the 06 coupe last year to Harris Hill...................this year though I have a vert. Hey 09 red, PM me when you get the chance, I'm interested in any track days in Central Tx. Oh yea there's a car show coming up in Austin at the beginning of March also at the Dell diamond. http://www.mocatx.com/carshow/springshow.html

Roll bar requirements for convertibles vary from track to track or event to event. Our insurance (Track Guys) requires a roll bar in convertibles in all but the most basic circumstances (like lunch time drive around). Most of the tracks we deal with have the same requirements/restrictions. There arre events and tracks that do not require roll bars in drop tops. Check rules for your particular event and or track. Also, no type of beauty or light bar is considered a qualified roll bar - don't even try (you would not be the first but you also would not be sucessful). Good Luck Ron B.

Roll bar requirements for convertibles vary from track to track or event to event. Our insurance (Track Guys) requires a roll bar in convertibles in all but the most basic circumstances (like lunch time drive around). Most of the tracks we deal with have the same requirements/restrictions. There arre events and tracks that do not require roll bars in drop tops. Check rules for your particular event and or track. Also, no type of beauty or light bar is considered a qualified roll bar - don't even try (you would not be the first but you also would not be sucessful). Good Luck Ron B.

Thanks Ron, I'm going to talk to Eric tomorrow at Harris Hill to see what he says since I'll mostly be running out there.But I wouldalso like to make that run out at Big Bend...........And I'll need something that I can either remove so it can have a usable back seat for the grand daughter ( shes4), or allows for back seat usage when its in. Also I have to be able to remove the bar If at a later time I want to sell the car and the new owner not know that I had a roll bar in it. You think they make such a thing?

I will be a first timer this year too and have some questions. I will be at Mid America in Tulsa and can't make it in time for the Shelby driving class. I notice last years event had drivers segmented in 3 classes. I think it was stock, modified and race prepared.....anyway, after purchasing track day I am now wondering if I should not have. Not sure how they work this, but I have not had any formal instruction on the track or classroom. I guess I was thinking of other track events when they have an instructor ride with you, etc. and usually have segmented like novice or beginner, etc. Now it's got me wondering. I know there are things I need to do like change out brake fluid, mount fire extinguisher, long sleeves, etc....but really wondering if I have bit off more than I can chew. :headscratch: Any thoughts? I may be able to get a track day w/ class and instruction before then but it's kind of hard with the way I travel. Could this just be first time nerves? Craig :shift:

< Long time lurker and proud 07 GT500 owner checking in >

Great thread! I, too, am planning to track my 500 this spring. But there is one thing that I'm still not sure about - What do folks do about insurance? It seems my regular policy (Hagerty) won't allow on track activities (as far as I can tell). Do you buy "daily" insurance - is there such a thing? Do you not worry about it? Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks

Jim

Thanks Ron, I'm going to talk to Eric tomorrow at Harris Hill to see what he says since I'll mostly be running out there.But I wouldalso like to make that run out at Big Bend...........And I'll need something that I can either remove so it can have a usable back seat for the grand daughter ( shes4), or allows for back seat usage when its in. Also I have to be able to remove the bar If at a later time I want to sell the car and the new owner not know that I had a roll bar in it. You think they make such a thing?

The most ingenius removable roll bar application I've seen yet is in THIS THREAD. Starting at post #245 look at chim-chim's solution. It requires a bit of cutting on the plastic quaterpanel trim, but those can be replaced for about $250 in the future if so desired. It also requires someone with a bit of DIY skill. Otherwise, show this to whomever would do the install for you and see if they can do it.

If I didn't already have a bar in my car, I would do it this way!

On edit: I just remebered that you guys with the verts don't have the fold down rear seats...DUH...So, never mind, that system won't work for you. But maybe it will give you some ideas to start from.

I will be a first timer this year too and have some questions. I will be at Mid America in Tulsa and can't make it in time for the Shelby driving class. I notice last years event had drivers segmented in 3 classes. I think it was stock, modified and race prepared.....anyway, after purchasing track day I am now wondering if I should not have. ....................but really wondering if I have bit off more than I can chew. :headscratch: .......................Could this just be first time nerves? Craig :shift:

I love the Mid-America Meet! It is the most fun in 5 days almost anywhere on the planet. That being said, if you are a first timer you would be in the Group III or Stock class. In that group there is absolutely no passing allowed even on the straights. This is for consideration of people just like you. I would not consider cars in that group as an Open Track experience per se. It'll be fun for you, but believe me, for that event you won't even need to upgrade your brake fluid. Group II allows passing on 4 straights (one car at a time) and those cars can start pushing the brake limits, especially the novices among them. Group I is just pure fun.

Don't sweat it, relax and enjoy. You will probably be able to find an instructor to ride with you even on Thursday or Friday for a session or two. Heck, stay at Hallett on Saturday for the Track Guys/MRT day and that will be a real HPDE experience for you! Every bit as good as the Wednesday school.

Look me up; I'm the #49 Orange & White GT500. I'll be there all 4 days.

Is that tape on your front end or something else? Looks like you did a hell of a job masking if it is tape. If so, do you use box-cutter type blade to get it so perfect? Looks a lot cheaper and less permanent than clear bra.

Yeah, thats blue painters tape. It takes approx. a 3" wide roll, and a 2" wide roll, I also use 1" in the small areas. It takes about 3 hrs to do. But I think I will try this wrap I came across the other day. Not sure how good it is.

https://buyroadwrap.infusionsoft.com/cart/store.jsp?view=4&i=p2&navicat=2&navisubcat=18&naviprod=2

I will be a first timer this year too and have some questions. I will be at Mid America in Tulsa and can't make it in time for the Shelby driving class. I notice last years event had drivers segmented in 3 classes. I think it was stock, modified and race prepared.....anyway, after purchasing track day I am now wondering if I should not have. Not sure how they work this, but I have not had any formal instruction on the track or classroom. I guess I was thinking of other track events when they have an instructor ride with you, etc. and usually have segmented like novice or beginner, etc. Now it's got me wondering. I know there are things I need to do like change out brake fluid, mount fire extinguisher, long sleeves, etc....but really wondering if I have bit off more than I can chew. :headscratch: Any thoughts? I may be able to get a track day w/ class and instruction before then but it's kind of hard with the way I travel. Could this just be first time nerves? Craig :shift:

Don't give up on the Mid American experience. Their novice group always has a great time and its a good way to start. We (Track Guys) will be there in a large white motorcoach and a large white stacker trailer and all our toys. Look for my orange and black 08 GT 500 and or Jonathan's silver Factory Five Challenge Car. Usually we are at the top of the hill between the road and the track. In the past they have allowed/encoraged instructors to go out in this group. We usually have several available. For the last few years we have also had a "Track Day" at Hallett sponsored by Scott Hogue on Saturday with instructors available. I believe that is going to happen this year also. We will post availability if the day becomes secured for this year.

Regarding the other post about a roll bar with back seat availability. Check out the Griggs link Chicane 23 posted on this thread. They offer a "roll bar" that also ties to the B pillar seat/shoulder belt bolt. That bar has rear bars, cross bar and or diagonal bar as options. I believe they, or anyone else, could make the cross bar removable if necessary. I seriously looked at their bar and it provides an interesting option.

Good Luck and again don't give up on Mid America. You will regret it if you do. Ron B

Yeah, thats blue painters tape. It takes approx. a 3" wide roll, and a 2" wide roll, I also use 1" in the small areas. It takes about 3 hrs to do. But I think I will try this wrap I came across the other day. Not sure how good it is.

https://buyroadwrap.infusionsoft.com/cart/store.jsp?view=4&i=p2&navicat=2&navisubcat=18&naviprod=2

I was looking at that stuff too. Please be sure to post about it after you give it a shot and I will do the same if i opt for it.

Archived