TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Prediction

Hi all!!!!!!!!

Here is my prediction of the new GT350...................................

After the car is released to the new owners, I would venture to say that a good 75%-80% of all the people who say the do not like the car will change their mind. Now, before I get a public beating here (LOL) hear me out.

I persoanlly LOVE the GT350 both new and old. When you see a vinatge GT350 in a magazine, the car looks very cool, very fast. But, to really appreciate the car, you have to actually see it, touch it, hear it, smell it (gotta love the exhaust fumes :)) and watch the car on the track.

The same holds true with the new GT350. The pictures of the car look really good (IMHO), BUT, when you see it, touch it, hear it (HOLY COW!!), smell it and especially watch it on the track, that is where the change of opinion will come.

One real quick example..........I have had the privilege of taking pictures of the complete build--from start to finish. As stated before, I persoanlly have over 3.300 pics of the build. This does not include the number of pics that were taken of the build by our IT Team (at least another 2,500). Now, these pics I have are pretty sweet. The ones I have of the finished car are way too cool. But, by standing next to the car, hearing the car, touching the car is a completely different experince.

The day that we moved the car out of the shop to a different building to load it on the truck was a day I NEVER will forget. I was standing next to Gary Davis, our VP of production. As Phil Brown (one of oue tech formans) drove the car around the corner and headed straight towrads us, both Gary and myself basically said 2 words...."HOLY....... (rhimes with truck LOL)" It actually gave us goose bumps watching this car come straight towards us. It was that sight at that time that we really knew this car was the one. I was so awestruck that I couldn't even move to take a picture of it coming at us. It was the exact same feeling I got when I first started working here and Amy called me into her office to discuss something. As I walked in and started talking to Amy, my focus was on the conversation. Amy then broke the conversation and said, "Oh, by the way, have you met Carroll?" I turned around and there was Mr. Shelby just sitting there listening to Amy and I talk. I almost lost it right there!!!!!! A LEGEND, an ICON and one of the most down to earth people I ever met. It was the exact same feeling I got when the GT350 was coming straight at me. It was AWESOME, unforgetable, something I will never ever forget.

So, back to my prediction. I still feel that when the GT350 is out there, a lot of people will change their mind. In fact, I am almost willing to make a bet on it. Yes, we here do read all of the posts. And on the GT350 threads, I am taking notes on remarks made and from who. Now, before you stomp me here, this is just for me personally. I just want to see how many people will change their mind. I know you all will say never ever will I change out loud. But deep down your say, damn, I kinda like it.

What I will do is keep watching the threads from now until the first cars start hitting the streets. If I am right with my prediction, I will pull a name from the threads and I will send that person a new GT350!!!!! Ok, now, don't get too excited--it will be a DIECAST GT350---but it will still be a new GT350 :)

Thanks and have fun all!!!!!!!!!

Bud

On one of the other multiple new threads on this car, there was a mention of a lack of passion from SAI. The above prediction shows the kind of passion that gives me hope that this car will become a legend in its own right, apart from the original. The reaction Bud describes is just what we're looking for, and I agree that seeing something in person is different from seeing pictures on the internet. Since I have no reason not to, I'll trust that Bud knows what he's talking about and give the car a chance. Thanks for sharing, Bud.

Hey Bud,

I, truly, hope you are right. But, because I know you have a sense of humor, I can say this . . . what would your impression have been if the car had come at you and Gary butt end first? hysterical.gif The front end is definitely the car's strong point and, all kidding aside, your opinion is important under any circumstances and when you give that opinion in the context you did, it carries more weight than what the car might look like on the stage at BJ.

And, did I hear you right . . . you had never met Mr. Shelby until when you describe?

Thanks for posting what you did, Bud. Looking forward to the week after St. Patrick's Day and, yes, I am now leaning towards the black tanks and it's your fault. wink.gif

Jim

After reading all the comments,and seeing all the pics.

I wish i would have waited and Maybe Not have purchased my 2010 Gt 500 rant2.gif

And ordered this one.

But I am happy happy feet.gif

Every time I fire it up I am in Heaven

Truer words were never spoken. The greatest Shelby of all time is the one you own.

Jim

Carroll Shelby has a way of getting people on a winning team. He Started doing this for Ford back in the 60's and he's doing it again and again. I saw his interview with Motor Trend and that put the new GT350 in perspective . As he said this car has come full circle after 45 years . I think the Shelby team is 100% behind this car and it shows. I agee with Bud once you see, smell and hear this car if you don't get goose bumps then this car is not for you. I think this car will not be a daily driver and will enjoy a special place on a track or a sunny day on your favorite road.

Truer words were never spoken. The greatest Shelby of all time is the one you own.

Jim

No it's the one you dream of owning and have not yet. Some people dream of owning a certain car all their life . Some get that car some don't but it's a passion that no one can explain. Maybe this car will satisfy that passion .Money gets in the way but they FIND a way over time.

This is a great post Bud...right from the heart. Your love and passion for Shelbys and the new 350 is where I think all Shelby aficionados should be. And Jim, you are sure right; the Shelby you own is the center of your car world. I love my Terlingua. I can not afford a 350 at this time, but I can dream and admire the car from afar.

And, did I hear you right . . . you had never met Mr. Shelby until when you describe?

Jim

While growing up, I knew who Mr. Shelby was, what Mr. Shelby did and what Shelby's were. I was a fan right from the get go. But I have never met Mr. Shelby during that time. I started here on 7-7-2006. It was just about 2 weeks later when I met Mr. Shelby. To this day, I can STILL remember what he was wearing.

I am sure that those who have met Mr. Shelby for the first time has had the same experience. You know where you were, what day it was, what time it was and most important, how you felt actually meeting and talking to a LEGEND, and ICON.

Even now, everytime I have the honor of talking to Mr. Shelby, the feeling is still the same---it never changes.

And on that note, even though I knew Amy before coming to Shelby, I have the same respect for her too. I knew where she came from and what she did. I had the same respect for her when I met her in 2000. And after working for Amy now for 3 1/2 years and see what she has accomplished for all, I have nothing but the highest respect for her. I have never seen a president of a company be so accessible to the people than I have seen with Amy.

Have I shown my passion for Shelby? Yes, but not all of it. There's more to come!!!

And thank you for all of your kind posts too.This also shows me your passion too!!

Bud

Bud, great post. I for one love the car sight unseen. So much that I went by to see my banker, showed him pics and data sheet and told him I had to have this and needed a loan. He said no problem, how much $ do you need? I told him I should be good with about 60K and I would make up any difference. He responded, "not a problem". He then started punching numbers and all the things bankers do and then told me what my monthly payments would be. My response was Holy -- - - - (rhymes w/ truck) :hysterical::hysterical: I had goose bumps too. Then I thought, WTH it would probably take them 6 months to repo, right? J/K I know this much, if the lottery smiles on me, my first call will be to Perry, GA. :happy feet: Your comments about feeling, touching, smelling, hearing are dead on. I had the same feelings many times as a young man when dating. :doh: There have been many cars that I have purchased over the years that I was never quite sold on until actually seeing the vehicle in person. Hopefully, I will get to see the 350 at Tulsa. This is one car though that I am not sure that seeing it in person will be a good thing as I might be calling the banker back! :banghead: Keep us posted. Thanks, Craig

Bud--great post! Thanks for pulling back the curtain and showing a bit more of your passion.

I’ll probably be one of those that will stay on the other side of the fence, as I’m guilty of building up an image in my mind

as to what I thought the new model would be, that’s my issue, but expect the car will be a success as it is now.

Sounds like your photo collection might be the makings of an interesting article/book on how the new GT350 came into being,

with the back-story on why the design is what it is....

Awesome Post Bud! I agree with you 1000+%, and you definitely can hear/see the passion SAI has.

You can't make everyone happy and my first opinion of the car has already changed. I watched the unveiling, the short films, and MT pictures and I felt the front and rear bumpers screamed Saleen and were overwhelming. And the number on the stripes just seemed to take away from the sharp smooth lines of the car. And the taillight area just looked like cheap plastic. I love the original. It is one of my top 3 of all time cars. So the hype and anticipation of the new one was so high that I felt disappointed when I saw it. But when the picture of Carrol leaning up against the car in the design room loaded up, I was like WOW. I thought, the bumpers aren't that big anymore, and the stripes go nice. Then with each click after, I was more and more, pleased with the car. It now is the background of my computer and my phone, and each time I look at it, I notice another detail that I like.

I'm not saying I'm now 100% happy with everything about the car, and probably will never be. I'm not 100% happy with every detail of my 40th, and I'm not blaming SAI or FORD. You just can't be perfect on everything. Just like the 2010 redesign. They added a lot of things I like and items I didn't, but its growing on me. I'm still not sold on the GT350 taillights, and the lines where the skirting meet the bumper . My eyes keep getting drawn to them. Also, I feel my 40th has a bit more aggressive stance. So, I can't wait to see the car in person. To sit in it, and feel the wheel in my hand. To hear the growl that my wife always yells at me for every time we go out. To run my hand up the hood line back over the roof, to the rear end..... back on topic! back to topic! Sorry, its so easy to get carried away. Pictures just don't compare to the in person feel and design.

I went though it with the '05 redesign, and then the GT500. I didn't think you could improve on the stock GT500, then SAI had to bring out the 40th. And I loved the 40th pictures in the pamphlets and the the ones Adrienne sent me of my car waiting to leave, but when the carrier driver back my car off the truck at 3 am, I was like.... "HOLY....... (rhimes with truck LOL)" Just the stance alone was such an improvement. I got the goosebumps. It was also probably part due to the 30 something degrees, but I can relate.

So I can't wait to see the new GT350 in person. I just have a gut feeling its going to be another "HOLY....... (rhimes with truck LOL)" moment.

Sounds like your photo collection might be the makings of an interesting article/book on how the new GT350 came into being,

with the back-story on why the design is what it is....

Thanks Chuck,

Maybe they will use the pics for a new book. That would be cool!!!!

Ok, here is one pic from the build. Now, you will look at it and say, "Oh great, a pic of a bowl of cereal." But, the pic means a lot more than that.

The FIRST person who posts here on "why" I took that picture, I will send you something. Not sure what it will be. Could be a pen off my desk LOL but it will be something :)

Bud

DSCF1223.jpg

Could it have something to do with the fact that everyone working on the GT350 project was basically living there? Breakfast in the shop, on the quick.

To add to your point about the new model:

When the GT H came out in 06, people had opinions about it as well. The 65 never had a spoiler, where's the hood scoop, etc. But it is an caontinuation of the icon. Different yes, but in the same thread or core meaning.

People don't like change. Never will. The next generation will remember this GT350 as theirs. Just as much as we remember the 60s as ours.

just my 2c.

Why did you take that picture Bud? Were you trying to capture the dedication that folks displayed going into the build?

That IS absolutely CORRECT!!!!!!!!!

That bowl of ceral was about 3 days old!!!! from what the tech told me (right after I took the pic LOL). I knew why is was like that, but I wanted to hear it from him. Andrew came in around 5:30am or so that day. He open it up, poured the milk, ate some and went right back to work on the car. The Team worked long hard days on the car. He forgot he left it on the table. Three days later I just happen to find it and snapped a pic of it.

"Dig-It" send me an email Bud's email addy with your name and address and I'll find "something" to put in a box for ya!!!!!

Bud

Hi all!!!!!!!!

Here is my prediction of the new GT350...................................

After the car is released to the new owners, I would venture to say that a good 75%-80% of all the people who say the do not like the car will change their mind. Now, before I get a public beating here (LOL) hear me out.

I persoanlly LOVE the GT350 both new and old. When you see a vinatge GT350 in a magazine, the car looks very cool, very fast. But, to really appreciate the car, you have to actually see it, touch it, hear it, smell it (gotta love the exhaust fumes :)) and watch the car on the track.

The same holds true with the new GT350. The pictures of the car look really good (IMHO), BUT, when you see it, touch it, hear it (HOLY COW!!), smell it and especially watch it on the track, that is where the change of opinion will come.

One real quick example..........I have had the privilege of taking pictures of the complete build--from start to finish. As stated before, I persoanlly have over 3.300 pics of the build. This does not include the number of pics that were taken of the build by our IT Team (at least another 2,500). Now, these pics I have are pretty sweet. The ones I have of the finished car are way too cool. But, by standing next to the car, hearing the car, touching the car is a completely different experince.

The day that we moved the car out of the shop to a different building to load it on the truck was a day I NEVER will forget. I was standing next to Gary Davis, our VP of production. As Phil Brown (one of oue tech formans) drove the car around the corner and headed straight towrads us, both Gary and myself basically said 2 words...."HOLY....... (rhimes with truck LOL)" It actually gave us goose bumps watching this car come straight towards us. It was that sight at that time that we really knew this car was the one. I was so awestruck that I couldn't even move to take a picture of it coming at us. It was the exact same feeling I got when I first started working here and Amy called me into her office to discuss something. As I walked in and started talking to Amy, my focus was on the conversation. Amy then broke the conversation and said, "Oh, by the way, have you met Carroll?" I turned around and there was Mr. Shelby just sitting there listening to Amy and I talk. I almost lost it right there!!!!!! A LEGEND, an ICON and one of the most down to earth people I ever met. It was the exact same feeling I got when the GT350 was coming straight at me. It was AWESOME, unforgetable, something I will never ever forget.

So, back to my prediction. I still feel that when the GT350 is out there, a lot of people will change their mind. In fact, I am almost willing to make a bet on it. Yes, we here do read all of the posts. And on the GT350 threads, I am taking notes on remarks made and from who. Now, before you stomp me here, this is just for me personally. I just want to see how many people will change their mind. I know you all will say never ever will I change out loud. But deep down your say, damn, I kinda like it.

What I will do is keep watching the threads from now until the first cars start hitting the streets. If I am right with my prediction, I will pull a name from the threads and I will send that person a new GT350!!!!! Ok, now, don't get too excited--it will be a DIECAST GT350---but it will still be a new GT350 :)

Thanks and have fun all!!!!!!!!!

Bud

I fully understand all that you said. There is one huge problem you have missed. The price is not going to work. I predict most will have a hard time adding 34K on top of the cost of a Mustang GT. Even in good times, this is crazy money. Too expensive period.

I fully understand all that you said. There is one huge problem you have missed. The price is not going to work. I predict most will have a hard time adding 34K on top of the cost of a Mustang GT. Even in good times, this is crazy money. Too expensive period.

I agree, I definitely thought the price was going to be between the GT and GT500. But a business has to cover costs.

Bud,

Nice topic. But what is your criteria? I think most of us have mixed feelings about it (there are parts I like and parts I dislike). I presume this excludes whether one can afford it or not. Put me down for a dislike if it helps get me a shot at a diecast GT-350 later on. Because I consider this a sucker's bet (from Las Vegas no less). Amy has already told us that the production version will have minor tweaks that already address many of the complaints noted in these forums. You, I, and many others have already posted that the performance of the car can easily change opinions. And some have wisely posted that once folk get over THEIR expectation of what the GT-350 should be, and judge this car for what it is, then their opinion may change. I certainly expected something different, closer to the 1965 version like those clips on the TS site suggested. In fact, I believe that if the following expectations were set in advance there would've been much less negative feedback: the new GT-350 package will have a similar impact as the SS package, it will use design cues from vintage GT-350s, and it will be a beast on the road or track.

Personally, I don't really care if any of us change our minds. I'd prefer that enough of those who like it and can afford it will buy it, to make it a sales success. Because we are all invested in the brand that way. It makes these wonderful forums possible.

-Tom

Well, as many of you have picked up on, you HAVE TO see this car in person to really get it. The lines on this car just dont translate in a 2 dimensional picture...

I am honored to have been there with the whole SAI team at the unveiling, and wish you would have been there Bud to share it too!

As far as performance goes, the man I hold in the highest regard is Gary Patterson. I have ridden with him, and seen him drive like no other. This is a man that easily could be driving in any class of racing for a living. If he tells me something about a car's performance, I can take it to the bank. He told me this car outperforms everything else out of SAI, and I cant wait to get my hands on it.

I know a few people I will be happy to let drive mine when we do our next bash...after all, the best way to sell a car is to let someone drive it, and I want my friends to have the same enjoyment I plan on having out of it!

I don't think price will be the issue. I have that much in my SGT easy. If I was passionate about the car, I would buy it. If you add up the pieces, the price can be justified.

Jim

Thanks Bud. I sent you a PM because of email issues.

I've been there before - cleaned up barely half eaten meals/snacks after finishing a project.

I read the GT350 was built in about thirty days. You can tell a lot of effort and passion went into it.

I don't think price will be the issue. I have that much in my SGT easy.

+1

I think if alot of dealers order them and add a ADM yes price will be a problem. But if people like MM order a GT and drop ship it and only charge you for the GT mark up then OK. Remember only 2200 units total.

Okay Warrin I will be one of your friends that gets to drive the car on the track. As soon as my SGT and plane are paid for I am on board to getting this wonderful piece of History.

Bud I love your post and I truely know the passion you have for SAI and Carroll and thats the same feeling I have as well.

The first time I met Carroll was at Terlingua I will never forget that I was driving my car and he was walking back to his hotel room and as I drove by he gave me the biggest wave ever and I said to my buddy Bill "Holy %%%%" (rymes with truck) thats Carroll Shelby". I will never forget that wave and the smile on his face as we drove by. Then of course we got to meet him many times at the event and each time I was in awe.

Bud its always a pleasure to meet you and I always appeciate how responsive you are with follow ups and emails.

21573_292107554492_770734492_4476028_1764752_n.jpg

Archived