TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Calling all experts. What else will add HP to SGT?

I recently purchased my first Shelby. It is an 08 SGT (08SGT0367) I am very happy with it but want to add more ponies. My 'ol lady ain't gonna let me spend 7K on a supercharger so what else can I do to add more HP without breaking the bank? My current mods are listed below. Thanks all........

Cams, and or heads. If you have someone else do the work, and with the cost of cams and heads, you'll be at $5000 before you know it. Several of us have been through this quandary. For a couple thousand more you can have the Whipple s/charger installed.

I went with the Whipple SC conversion through SAI.

Brenspeed or similar tune, or custom dyno / tune - 5 hp; more responsive

Pullies - 5 hp

Shorty Headers - 13 +/- hp w/ tune

Alum Driveshaft - frees up 5 hp

Hi-Flow Cats - ?? hp

The above are based upon information I've obtained from this website and do not reflect my actual experience or knowledge!

Here's what I'm going to do this spring.........the only reason I'm going this route is because I have a lot of this stuff already, otherwise the SC would be the way to go.

FR throttle body

FR cams

FR shorty headers

off road un-catted x pipe

Under drive pulleys

XCT custom tune

aluminum driveshaft

delete plates (I'll make those myself)

150 shot NOS (WOT only)

upgrade fuel pump

I recently purchased my first Shelby. It is an 08 SGT (08SGT0367) I am very happy with it but want to add more ponies. My 'ol lady ain't gonna let me spend 7K on a supercharger so what else can I do to add more HP without breaking the bank? My current mods are listed below. Thanks all........

Spend $3500 on a Paxton 1200SL and install it yourself. This will give you ~100 more HP. Otherwise, spend at least $2K for a bunch of other mods for only ~25-30 HP.

I had the same dilemma as you; but, in the end, an SC is the most cost effective solution.

I'm not an expert; just an enthusiast.

Good Luck !

My friend, the old addage still applies....H.P. costs money. If you want to go fast, you have to pay the man. Either pay him now, or pay him later, you have to pay to play.

You will end up paying for all of the above mentioned mods, only to end up spending just a little less than buying and installing a blower (with tune) on your car that will yeld more H.P. gains in the long run than all of the mods combined.

But as stated by the other member, if you want to go fast for a short period of time and spend the least amount of money, then install a NoS system on your car and call it a day.

I would recommend you read through the topics in this thread. There are years of people trying this or that and posting their results, good and bad. What gives the most bang for the buck and what just empties your wallet.

Have fun!

Here are a few threads that I've written in the past that may help in the chase for more HP.

If you install a stage 2 cam, however, please do yourself the favor of running phaser limiters or lockouts. ;)

Ken

Long tube headers

Aftermarket water pump

Paxton 1200SL install

Steeda charge motion plate install

Steeda underdrive pulleys

BBK throttle body

Comp stage 2 cam install

SC save yourself the doubt!!!! go with the whipple

with a SC its a mellow car to drive but when the time and need to unleash all them horses happens, its on!!!!!!! run low 12's and still get over 20mpg yup yup

What he said.

You already have the 4:10 gears.

Cam and exhaust / intake...

You guys are awesome thanks for all the advice. I don't want to do NOS. I'm thinking the Super Charger is the way to go. I will just save up cuz like you said, I'm going to get it eventually. So now the question becomes........which one?

If I were doing it and had the dough i'd have the GT/SC package done...but, I don't.... :cry:

If I were adding the supercharger myself I think I'd go w/ the 400 hp Ford Racing unit. I know everyone loves HP, but 400 has got to be more than enough power for everyday driveability, etc. That plus a set of shorty headers and a tune and we're up there w/ the new 5.0...unless, of course that guy adds a supercharger and tune... :hysterical:

You guys are awesome thanks for all the advice. I don't want to do NOS. I'm thinking the Super Charger is the way to go. I will just save up cuz like you said, I'm going to get it eventually. So now the question becomes........which one?

I'm in your situation also. I too decided on saving for a SC (Paxton). However the saving part has been hard as hell as I keep adding nickel and dime mods and can't seem save anything for the SC. I wanted to be SC'd by this year. However my new SC date is Feb 2011 as the wife said I could do it for our 20th... :happy feet:

I'm in your situation also. I too decided on saving for a SC (Paxton). However the saving part has been hard as hell as I keep adding nickel and dime mods and can't seem save anything for the SC. I wanted to be SC'd by this year. However my new SC date is Feb 2011 as the wife said I could do it for our 20th... :happy feet:

Its going to be a long year but hey at least you know you are going to get it congrats.

If I were doing it and had the dough i'd have the GT/SC package done...but, I don't.... :cry:

If I were adding the supercharger myself I think I'd go w/ the 400 hp Ford Racing unit. I know everyone loves HP, but 400 has got to be more than enough power for everyday driveability, etc. That plus a set of shorty headers and a tune and we're up there w/ the new 5.0...unless, of course that guy adds a supercharger and tune... :hysterical:

true. Im going to look into that one.

I've done a few mods like shorty's and drive-shaft but i decided over a year ago that i could bankrupt myself and still not have the h.p. i want. The challenger and camero made my decision for me and the new Shelby 350 just confirmed that the Shelby G.T. will always be at the back of the pack if i don't supercharge. This spring i'm taking my car to Quantum. Just haven't decided on whether it will be a K/B or a Whipple. Any ideas will be appreciated.

I've done a few mods like shorty's and drive-shaft but i decided over a year ago that i could bankrupt myself and still not have the h.p. i want. The challenger and camero made my decision for me and the new Shelby 350 just confirmed that the Shelby G.T. will always be at the back of the pack if i don't supercharge. This spring i'm taking my car to Quantum. Just haven't decided on whether it will be a K/B or a Whipple. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Quantum? Have you read any threads here on Quantum? I'd reconsider having any mods done there.

Quantum? Have you read any threads here on Quantum? I'd reconsider having any mods done there.

Ya'll sure are making me nervous about Quantum. I would love to ship mine to Vegas but i hate to pay for the shipping considering Dallas is only 4 hours away but i will check the cost to ship to Vegas. Less shipping fees = more mods.

Ya'll sure are making me nervous about Quantum. I would love to ship mine to Vegas but i hate to pay for the shipping considering Dallas is only 4 hours away but i will check the cost to ship to Vegas. Less shipping fees = more mods.

A word of caution: Be very careful about how you select shippers for your car. Some are nothing more than brokers and will promise you the moon to get your deposit. I recently went through this and saw both sides; the good and the bad. There actually is a website that rates shipping services and if you want I'll dig it up for you. I'll also be happy to give you the name of a couple of independants that are excellent if you want.

John

You're in Houston. Strictly Performance is the largest KB retailer in the world and they're right here in Houston. The quickest and fastest KB cars in the country are out of this shop. Give them a call and be sure to tell them that S.D. sent you.

A word of caution: Be very careful about how you select shippers for your car. Some are nothing more than brokers and will promise you the moon to get your deposit. I recently went through this and saw both sides; the good and the bad. There actually is a website that rates shipping services and if you want I'll dig it up for you. I'll also be happy to give you the name of a couple of independants that are excellent if you want.

John

Thanks for the advice. If you could , give me the independents and website that rates them. I priced one transporter and they wanted 2800.00 roundtrip and i thought they were a little high. Transportation obviously is going to be a large percentage of what i spend on mods. It wouldn't be so bad if i was supersnaking a car but for just a s/c and gauges, this could be 25% of what i'm spending on mods. Less money on shipping = more money for mods. Thanks for the help,Kenneth

• 2 weeks later...

Archived